Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

I just saw a post on reddit, it was just a random guy claiming that we are in talks with a ā€˜massive household nameā€™

Now obviously there is a 99% chance this is false, for example the account that posted this is brand new and he has no credibility, however, it is midnight and iā€™m bored so I decided to give him benefit of the doubt and do some research into who this mysterious player would be, if he was telling the truth. Throughout the comment thread he gave away a few clues:

• The player is a household name
  • The player is from Central Europe
  • The player is rated 78 on FIFA 18, and has been as high as 84 in previous iterations

I spent a bit of time going through a few fifa sites trying to find players that met this criteria, and Iā€™ve settled on Thomas Vermaelen. (There were some other players who almost fit this criteria, like Nicolai Muller, but he literally joined Frankfurt a month ago.)Ā 

As for Vermaelen:

• Household name - tick, played for Arsenal, Barcelona, 69 Belgian Caps including a handful at this last WC
  • Central european - technically Belgium is not classified asĀ central europe but it is very close, and I wasnā€™t able to find anyone from anywhere closerĀ 
  • Rated 78 on FIFA 18 - tick
  • Rated 84 on previous fifa - tick, 84 on fifa 10.

So now assuming this guy is telling the truth, which I am highly sceptical of, Vermaelen would be a great signing. Only 32 which isnā€™t bad for a CB in the A-League, and a very high quality CB which is what weā€™ve been crying out for.Ā 

Vermaelen is still contracted to Barca, isnā€™t very old, is still good enough for a number of quality European sides and would get much better coin in China, USA or middle-east so thereā€™s almost 0 chance this is true, but food for though nonetheless.Ā 

Also, if anyone can think of any players that fit this guys likely fictional criteria please mention them, in the slight chance itā€™s right and sorry for the long post - should probs get to bed.Ā 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

I just saw a post on reddit, it was just a random guy claiming that we are in talks with a ā€˜massive household nameā€™

Now obviously there is a 99% chance this is false, for example the account that posted this is brand new and he has no credibility, however, it is midnight and iā€™m bored so I decided to give him benefit of the doubt and do some research into who this mysterious player would be, if he was telling the truth. Throughout the comment thread he gave away a few clues:

• The player is a household name
  • The player is from Central Europe
  • The player is rated 78 on FIFA 18, and has been as high as 84 in previous iterations

I spent a bit of time going through a few fifa sites trying to find players that met this criteria, and Iā€™ve settled on Thomas Vermaelen. (There were some other players who almost fit this criteria, like Nicolai Muller, but he literally joined Frankfurt a month ago.)Ā 

As for Vermaelen:

• Household name - tick, played for Arsenal, Barcelona, 69 Belgian Caps including a handful at this last WC
  • Central european - technically Belgium is not classified asĀ central europe but it is very close, and I wasnā€™t able to find anyone from anywhere closerĀ 
  • Rated 78 on FIFA 18 - tick
  • Rated 84 on previous fifa - tick, 84 on fifa 10.

So now assuming this guy is telling the truth, which I am highly sceptical of, Vermaelen would be a great signing. Only 32 which isnā€™t bad for a CB in the A-League, and a very high quality CB which is what weā€™ve been crying out for.Ā 

Vermaelen is still contracted to Barca, isnā€™t very old, is still good enough for a number of quality European sides and would get much better coin in China, USA or middle-east so thereā€™s almost 0 chance this is true, but food for though nonetheless.Ā 

Also, if anyone can think of any players that fit this guys likely fictional criteria please mention them, in the slight chance itā€™s right and sorry for the long post - should probs get to bed.Ā 

Abate, Van Persie, Sagna, John Terry, Andy Carrol, Quagliarella, Montolivo, Soldado, Vermaelen, or Fernando Llorente. Belgium does use Central European Time btw.

I think the guy is trolling. there is another thread where a new account had posted a similar thing about Sydney getting a household name from S.America. Any dirt @ABC123?

Ā 

The rumour has already spread to 442, so lets see how far the media roll with it.

Ā 

Also Ive seen a backing up rumour of another player being Moussa Sow.... whose Senegalese!

Ā 

Dont believe any rumours until the players is holding up our kit!

Edited by haz

18 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

I just saw a post on reddit, it was just a random guy claiming that we are in talks with a ā€˜massive household nameā€™.

I readĀ that threadĀ too. I got excited until I saw him use good olā€™ Mr Walker Agent as his source of cred. Fucking guy is everywhere.

On the slight chance this is true though, Iā€™d be stoked with Vermaelen.Ā 

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I readĀ that threadĀ too. I got excited until I saw him use good olā€™ Mr Walker Agent as his source of cred. Fucking guy is everywhere.

On the slight chance this is true though, Iā€™d be stoked with Vermaelen.Ā 

Hes going to love the hard aussie pitches. The Germano Treatment Centre will be working overtime!

image.png.296a664e39d2d8ba13b2515a45f8db3d.png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

with the departure of Arzani, fingers crossed we'll get a Visa Winger to bench Wales ....Wales abilityĀ is literally in middle of Kamu and Fitzy....

Vermaelen and Sow would make my sausage tingle. Then we also get Ross back as a guest player....Ā 

7 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

with the departure of Arzani, fingers crossed we'll get a Visa Winger to bench Wales ....Wales abilityĀ is literally in middle of Kamu and Fitzy....

Surely we give him a couple more games to increaseĀ the sample size.Ā 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

Wales looks to me to have more natural ability than either of them, he's incredibly light atm though and I'd be disappointed if he's anymore than a depth player this season

Edited by Embee
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Embee said:

Wales looks to me to have more natural ability than either of them, he's incredibly light atm though and I'd be disappointed if he's anymore than a depth player this season

IMO didnt impress me playing on the wing against the Roar, but as soon as placed in the middle, he actually started to play some decent football.

So going off that game only i'd suggest we do need another winger, but its only 1 game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IssySG said:

Surely we give him a couple more games to increaseĀ the sample size.Ā 

What???

actually have decent information on a young player before posting a defining opinion on themĀ that you will then stick resolutely to for life, regardless of any observations or logic in the future?

I donā€™t see the point in bringing back Ross either. Fornaroli is one of the best strikers in the A league, ever, and the kind of player you build a team around.Ā 

He needs to be the focal point. Ross is also that kind of player. You canā€™t have both.Ā 

Surround Bruno with good wingers and a decent 10 and heā€™ll carry us to a title.Ā 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

wow

Ā 

o'HalloranĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  FornaroliĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Mcgree

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  McCormack

Fornaroli is our best goal scorer and one of the best strikers in the history of the league and you want to play him as a 10, a position I doubt he's ever played?

I don't have a crystal ball or anything but that just seems pointless to me.Ā 

I hope the club is trying to sign a 10 in the mould of Ninkovic. You put Ninkovic behind Bruno and we'd win the ACL.Ā 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Fornaroli is our best goal scorer and one of the best strikers in the history of the league and you want to play him as a 10, a position I doubt he's ever played?

I hope the club is trying to sign a 10 in the mould of Ninkovic. You put Ninkovic behind Bruno and we'd win the ACL.Ā 

I actually think we'd be far more dangerous with a really good winger than we would with a really good 10. Makes defences have to defendĀ from all angles rather than concentrate on cutting out straight downĀ the middle imo

5 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I dont think that will happen tbh thought mate.

A winger is where i think the club will target as we have a fair few mids atm.

I think they've brought i'm McGree to be that creative mid and i thought he showed a fair bit against Brisbane.

Ā 

8 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

I dont think that will happen tbh thought mate.

A winger is where i think the club will target as we have a fair few mids atm.

I think they've brought i'm McGree to be that creative mid and i thought he showed a fair bit against Brisbane.

I know it probably won't happen but I can dream. I'm happy enough with McGree, Brattan, Caceres, WalesĀ and maybe Vidosic as our creative options.

As @bt50Ā said, good wingers will give us potency from all angles and I largely agree. A more fluid front three would achieve that too, if we had wingers who were adept at cutting in or were comfortable with drifting more centrally. Bruno usually pushes up to find the ball, which vacates that traditional no 9 space, so a good winger will exploit that.Ā 

Whatever we go for, I have faith we'll sign someone decent.Ā 

Edited by Harrison

8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I know it probably won't happen but I can dream. I'm happy enough with McGree, Brattan, Caceres, WalesĀ and maybe Vidosic as our creative options.

As @bt50Ā said, good wingers will give us potency from all angles and I largely agree. A more fluid front three would achieve that too, if we had wingers who were adept at cutting in or were comfortable with drifting more centrally. Bruno usually pushes up to find the ball, which vacates that traditional no 9 space, so a good winger will exploit that.Ā 

Whatever we go for, I have faith we'll sign someone decent.Ā 

Yeh as long as our marquee winger is a genuine goal threat then i think we are going to be fine. As good as Arzani was last season, he was more of an assist machine than a goal threat, as evidenced by his one goal from open play. We need a player that is far more similar to a Leroy George, Harry Novillo, Brosque, Rojas or Barbarouses to draw defenders. That not only makes life easier for Bruno up front, but it will provide far more one on one panicked scenarios for O'Halloran to get in behind and create/score goals.Ā 

Edited by bt50

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Calm down boys, my bad ...just realised I placed Bruno on the same line as McGreeĀ and Halloran which gives the impression that Ross plays as ST....fixed version below lol

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Fornaroli

Oā€™Halloran. Ā  Ā  Ā McCormack. Ā  Ā  Ā Mcgree

2 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Calm down boys, my bad ...just realised I placed Bruno on the same line as McGreeĀ and Halloran which gives the impression that Ross plays as ST....fixed version below lol

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Fornaroli

Oā€™Halloran. Ā  Ā  Ā McCormack. Ā  Ā  Ā Mcgree

Perfect spot for McCormack to score those one step bangers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Don't think it matters. The real point is that there's no point in having both McCormack and Fornaroli in a squad of 23.

We have never seen McCormack and Fornaroli play together. I have no idea how people jump to conclusions and assume they will, or they wont play well next to eachother.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic