Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

I would love to be able to easily go back and see the reaction when Cahill came to us. Im sure it was the same as Honda but cant shake a feeling that there is a real resentment of CFG within the Australian football public and therefore the reaction that Cahill got was way less positive. 

Anyway I am probably wrong and just biased.

I thought this forum was cooked but we have nothing on that City Supporters with Heart Facebook group. Jesus

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I would love to be able to easily go back and see the reaction when Cahill came to us. Im sure it was the same as Honda but cant shake a feeling that there is a real resentment of CFG within the Australian football public and therefore the reaction that Cahill got was way less positive. 

I thought this forum was cooked but we have nothing on that City Supporters with Heart Facebook group. Jesus

IMO media across the board was better with Cahill, but maybe not the reaction from football fans. Whilst Cahill didnt have a huge impact in terms of attendances and ratings, imo he had a big impact as far as getting the A League into the mainstream news etc.

31 minutes ago, bt50 said:

IMO media across the board was better with Cahill, but maybe not the reaction from football fans. Whilst Cahill didnt have a huge impact in terms of attendances and ratings, imo he had a big impact as far as getting the A League into the mainstream news etc.

Yeah that was my thinking as well.  IMO for marquees to work here they are going to have to be the ones that are out of our reach because of MLS, China even Japan now. So lets just hope the independent Aleague realizes this fact and develops the league in a way which wont require them. TBF I wanted Honda, he would have been great for us so its extremely frustrating that we didnt even make a play, but I can totally understand why CFG didnt given what happend with Cahill. 

Only thing I wonder is that if they new FFA was going to pay half, if that would have changed their mind. But I dare say if it was us FFA would probably give us 500k again

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yeah that was my thinking as well.  IMO for marquees to work here they are going to have to be the ones that are out of our reach because of MLS, China even Japan now. So lets just hope the independent Aleague realizes this fact and develops the league in a way which wont require them. TBF I wanted Honda, he would have been great for us so its extremely frustrating that we didnt even make a play, but I can totally understand why CFG didnt given what happend with Cahill. 

Only thing I wonder is that if they new FFA was going to pay half, if that would have changed their mind. But I dare say if it was us FFA would probably give us 500k again

This. And not because of bias or any other confected outrage reason, but because the FFA would have seen an opportunity to save money because they perceive that we can foot the bill anyway.

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

This. And not because of bias or any other confected outrage reason, but because the FFA would have seen an opportunity to save money because they perceive that we can foot the bill anyway.

And because we've been seen to leading the critique of FFA from the A League. For us as a club, root and branch reform of FFA would be to our advantage. For the moment we're outside the tent pissing in, which isn't making us popular. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

And because we've been seen to leading the critique of FFA from the A League. For us as a club, root and branch reform of FFA would be to our advantage. For the moment we're outside the tent pissing in, which isn't making us popular. 

And its not like the tent didnt stink before we started pissing into it either...

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

The Cahill signing was announced on 11th August 2016. On that day our 2016/17 memberships were running 1020 above the previous season. 8 days later the difference was 2040. That season was our highest membership tally, so I think you could say that Cahill gave our membership numbers a fillip by 1000-2000 people. However, average attendance for 2016/17 was about 650 more than 2015/16. Further of course we won our only trophy that season. How you rate all that overall I don't know.

There was also that "You gotta have a team" advertising that season, with that young kid whose name I cannot recall featuring, and finally (surprise, surprise) selecting City. IIRC, at least early in the season, Cahill was popular with opposition fans when we played away in terms of autographs etc.

In terms of CFG, maybe those with better knowledge of the European scene could tell us whether CFG is popular anywhere. Personally I doubt it (except in a section of Manchester). Is CFG even popular with our own Melbourne City fans? I'd guess that there's less enthusiasm for CFG now than there was when the takeover was first announced, or perhaps that's just my personal feeling.

Overall we're just going to have to cop the Honda publicity. Victory have trumped every ace we've played recently, and until we achieve something on the field we're going to have to live with it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The Cahill signing was announced on 11th August 2016. On that day our 2016/17 memberships were running 1020 above the previous season. 8 days later the difference was 2040. That season was our highest membership tally, so I think you could say that Cahill gave our membership numbers a fillip by 1000-2000 people. However, average attendance for 2016/17 was about 650 more than 2015/16. Further of course we won our only trophy that season. How you rate all that overall I don't know.

There was also that "You gotta have a team" advertising that season, with that young kid whose name I cannot recall featuring, and finally (surprise, surprise) selecting City. IIRC, at least early in the season, Cahill was popular with opposition fans when we played away in terms of autographs etc.

In terms of CFG, maybe those with better knowledge of the European scene could tell us whether CFG is popular anywhere. Personally I doubt it (except in a section of Manchester). Is CFG even popular with our own Melbourne City fans? I'd guess that there's less enthusiasm for CFG now than there was when the takeover was first announced, or perhaps that's just my personal feeling.

Overall we're just going to have to cop the Honda publicity. Victory have trumped every ace we've played recently, and until we achieve something on the field we're going to have to live with it.

If Daddy provides, then I like Daddy.

1 hour ago, citypool said:

I’m not asking for a Honda but someone like a Bruno or Harry that want to be here and can play!

I think we can all agree on that.

But getting that right is actually fairly difficult. 

For every Bruno or Harry we might get a Robbie or Marcin.

With Arzani gone it's very intriguing on who will be or Marquee and Visa. As mentioned before I don't think we will see either before September. 

So it's just going to be a few weeks of heartburn as we moan about being left out and not being loved by big daddy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I think we can all agree on that.

But getting that right is actually fairly difficult. 

For every Bruno or Harry we might get a Robbie or Marcin.

With Arzani gone it's very intriguing on who will be or Marquee and Visa. As mentioned before I don't think we will see either before September. 

So it's just going to be a few weeks of heartburn as we moan about being left out and not being loved by big daddy.

We are due for some luck this time imo

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HughJass said:

One reply mentions calling the sheik another mentions melb city signing.... Not great evidence at all hence my comment about clutching at straws 

Another reply, by another City fan, said that he has faith in The Walker and that it was about a City signing. Walker has been DM-ing people and going into more detail so maybe he confirmed that it was a City signing. 

As you say, evidence isn't great. Could be a load of shit, a wild guess or about something else but it's the first rumour in a while. 

Edited by Harrison

The account is often full of shit but it's also nailed some stories in the past too. If my memory serves me correctly, a few of those have been City related.

My theory is that whoever runs it definitely has a source or two (seemingly one of those has some City related knowledge) but generally fills in gaps related to their blind spots with absolute bullshit and hopes some of it sticks.

I fully expect this reveal of information is going to be a massive let down after the way they've hyped it though.

Edited by Embee

• jw1739 pinned this topic