Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

17 minutes ago, HughJass said:

They signed a German guy as CB 

Georg Niedermeier.

And I don't think we should be too worried yet. We have August and September to go, by my count at least 5 signings to make, and a lot of young talent coming through the ranks.

Edited by jw1739

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Georg Niedermeier.

And I don't think we should be too worried yet. We have August and September to go, by my count at least 5 signings to make, and a lot of young talent coming through the ranks.

I'd be surprised if there's more than two signings tbh, not counting any contract upgrades for scholarship players etc.

We'll sign a cb and a marquee winger or AM and that'll be us done by and large.

Our side as it stands is in extremely good shape; a little bit of star power in those two possies and we are set.

Edited by bt50

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I'd be surprised if there's more than two signings tbh, not counting any contract upgrades for scholarship players etc.

Our side as it stands is in extremely good shape; a little bit of star power in those two possies and we are set.

Really? I can't see much improvement from last season. Now that our best player is gone (Arzani), I would say we are weaker...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Really? I can't see much improvement from last season. Now that our best player is gone (Arzani), I would say we are weaker...

Far too dependent on Arzani last season to spark us.

With a couple more shrewd signings,  we have the chance to be much more balanced, which i reckon makes us more dangerous.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

I think we ultimately underachieved last season given what we had on paper, and we certainly had excuses however (ir)relevant in terms of our injuries and squad rotation throughout the season. They'll be gone this year. We've strengthened the midfield slightly and added a winger who is an unknown, but prob can't be any worse than what Fitzy or Kamau was, and improved our depth imo.

Get the final two signings right and we'll be stronger on paper imo.

Edit : Whilst Arzani was terrific last season, imo we can do even better as a team if we get a winger that's a significant scoring threat and can draw the attention away from Bruno somewhat, a la Novillo. On purely the exposed form, Arzani didnt quite do well enough in scoring terms for us to properly threaten last year.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

Man the last 3  off seasons have been exactly this.

The only thing that is slightly more positive has been less have left and as a result less have come in. But overall we are in the same scenario of 1 or 2 players can make or break our season. 

Being nearly August I'm still hopeful this is the season where all our changes work out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I'm including contract upgrades in the number. Doesn't matter where they come from, we're still required to have the minimum number of players signed to A-League contracts.

IMO we're more or less where we have been for the past four seasons - a good footballing squad. What's been missing all the time is the final delivery. IMO we lack a game-changing player, and someone who can lift the whole team to get them over the line when we need to. The two remaining signings that you list are the keys to the season.

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm including contract upgrades in the number. Doesn't matter where they come from, we're still required to have the minimum number of players signed to A-League contracts.

IMO we're more or less where we have been for the past four seasons - a good footballing squad. What's been missing all the time is the final delivery. IMO we lack a game-changing player, and someone who can lift the whole team to get them over the line when we need to. The two remaining signings that you list are the keys to the season.

can we just sign milligan already

9 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Didn’t we only get like 500k from FFA for Cahill?

I guess we got City Blue as well.

But yea only costing Victory $1.3m, thats cheaper then Cahill and only $200k off what Bruno is getting paid.

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

Oh and if they get McLaren he will be under the cap 

Considering they dont have much of a squad, im not surprised

1 minute ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Fold City. We will always be that second team behind victory. Oh and might as well put a nail in our coffin once the third team from Melbourne is announced 

Strange, didn't expect that sort of comment from you.........................................

On the subject of Honda; yeah the guy is a gun but I really think that apart from perhaps a couple of flashes of brilliance, he'll be mostly underwhelming this season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

when your team loses 6-0 , your rival closes in on Honda, and your FFA Cup opponent beats Wellington 2-1 in a pre-season friendly

Louie-Facepalm.gif.7c0aa20bfcb0d335b3d60af68f5e440c.gif

Dont worry, we still get to watch Arzani this sea.... oh

• Sad 1

I agree with @bt50 and others. We don’t need a big name (that clearly doesn’t work) but we want them to spend the same amount of money as they do for Fornaroli (1.5) to get an outstanding player that becomes a big name.

We need cfg to not skimp again and pay 500k for a Budzinski. We need a better Novillo IMO

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

I agree with @bt50 and others. We don’t need a big name (that clearly doesn’t work) but we want them to spend the same amount of money as they do for Fornaroli (1.5) to get an outstanding player that becomes a big name.

We need cfg to not skimp again and pay 500k for a Budzinski. We need a better Novillo IMO

What Marwood said suggests quite strongly to me that you won't see us spend $1m per season on any new player over the next three seasons or so.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

What Marwood said suggests quite strongly to me that you won't see us spend $1m per season on any new player over the next three seasons or so.

Lynch basically said the same, that we were burnt by the Cahill transfer and won't be shelling out money on any big names, rather focusing on youth development. Basically we've turned into Heart, but better run. Take that as you will, good or bad. 

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Lynch basically said the same, that we were burnt by the Cahill transfer and won't be shelling out money on any big names, rather focusing on youth development. Basically we've turned into Heart, but better run. Take that as you will, good or bad. 

Perhaps, i think you could take it that they mean they're not going to sign expensive marquees for marketing purposes, not that they won't spend money full stop. Return on investment could be relevant to players too ie : spending 1 mil on a no name that tears it up v spending 3 mil on a name that gives a similar output.

It's obviously open to interpretation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Perhaps, i think you could take it that they mean they're not going to sign expensive marquees for marketing purposes, not that they won't spend money full stop. Return on investment could be relevant to players too ie : spending 1 mil on a no name that tears it up v spending 3 mil on a name that gives a similar output.

Would the ROI be higher by promoting youth and then selling off, as apposed to 1 or 2 mil spent on a marquee? 

2 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Would the ROI be higher by promoting youth and then selling off, as apposed to 1 or 2 mil spent on a marquee? 

Financially almost certainly. but ROI can be used as a footballing term too if that makes sense eg Arzani was a far better ROI for his 80k salary this year than Budzinski was for his 400k.

25 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think its more along these lines tbh.

I'd say that they will spend what they think is reasonable money on players they think will make a difference on the field than just off it.

Troisi for example. Wasn't a big name like a Honda or Cahill,  but was A League proven and at the time and could of helped us win the league. Budz was imo a impulse/panic signing.

I'd be happy with that type of thinking. Actually would welcome it as i dont give a fuck on big names. Just wanting to have a toilet seat to be proud of except the one i use at home to take a victory on.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yeh that's how I take it too, my post was a little toungue in cheek. 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Take it as they have learnt from there mistakes and wont make the same mistake again!

They will spend money, just on the right player for the right market.

If you think about the Marquee players that have come out, have they really had that much of an impact? Besides Alessandro Del Piero who worked until the novelty wore off.

18 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Take it as they have learnt from there mistakes and wont make the same mistake again!

If you think about the Marquee players that have come out, have they really had that much of an impact? Besides Alessandro Del Piero who worked until the novelty wore off.

As far as genuine marquee players go, most teams have been unsuccessful in the year they had them. Sydney with Yorke is probably the exception.
Off the field the Del Piero year worked magically, but Newy and Sydney were crap on field, whilst WSW won the premiership with Ono, but its arguable a lot of people didnt really know who he was like the other two.

44 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

At the start the concept of a "marquee" was a player of a high standard who was sufficiently "well-known" to boost the overall profile of the game in Australia, draw bigger crowds to A-League matches and hence "grow the game." I wasn't paying attention to the league when Yorke was here, but IMO both Del Piero and David Villa fitted this broad description.

But it has since been devalued to mean a (hopefully above-average) player who is paid outside the salary cap, to the extent that the "real" marquees are paid at least in part by FFA itself - Cahill and now Honda. I don't think Cahill had a measurable impact, and that of Honda remains to be seen.

• jw1739 pinned this topic