Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 hours ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Im pretty sure Khaldoon Al Mubarak had said in an interview thatĀ we will be focusing on ā€œreturn onĀ investmentā€ over the next 3 years and wont be spending big money on marquees due to the Tim Cahill invesment not working commercially.

Tbh i just took that to mean the club is not going to splash out on a big name marquee when a more capable player is otherwise available for far cheaper. But ducks and drakes etc...

Edited by bt50

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i just took that to mean the club is not going to splash out on a big name marquee when a more capable player is otherwise available for far cheaper. But ducks and drakes etc...

I took it to mean more or less the same, and that we weren't going to subsidise the rest of the league by paying at least part of the demands of the "big name." But in saying that, if we're going to take a short-term view on ROI rather than a long-term view, then aren't there other areas of the club's activities that should be looked at as well? Perhaps that's happening - I don't know.

34 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Yeah the Gala day was a huge money spinner with huge interest wasn't it.Ā :droy:Ā :hkpalm:

Seems to me that if youĀ play a summer sport, thenĀ running a "gala day" in the middle of a Melbourne winter isn't a terribly smart idea.

9 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Well that too, but in the sense of a fuck you to signing marquees for the marketing purposes of the FFA, not to signing players that will help us win a title.

Absolutely, and my concern is that when a 3rd team enters the Melbourne market while there is media and supporter backlash against CFG using us as a cattle yard by developing and selling off youth instead of making on field success a priority, then we may find ourselves in a very difficult situation.

Just saying.

They need to be very careful.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rayv36 said:

Danny Da Silva joins Sydney FC 24hrs after FFA introduce the intra-league loans...

Ā 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Everyone has known loans were coming in for months. Nothing to see here.

I find it odd that Central Coast are prepared to loan out a player who (I'd have said) was going to be a certain starter for them this season.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Ā 

I find it odd that Central Coast are prepared to loan out a player who (I'd have said) was going to be a certain starter for them this season.

Tbh i think its more about the wages and that DDS had absolutely no desire to be there. Having a player that has flat out declared he wants to go elsewhere isnt great for the morale of the rest of the group, so best to move him on. As far as i can work out, he's been loaned rather than released so that CCM still get the option fee that has Roma has over him.

16 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Wellington seem to be trying hard this off season. Anyone know anything about this bloke?

Nothing exciting looking at his stats. But since he is a CDM, goals/assists dont really say much

5 hours ago, Celt said:

Brandon Barker from City would be a good signing, not got the technique of Arzani but his pace can trouble any side. Was on loan at Hibs last year.Ā 

I still think we should be going for a CAM

17 minutes ago, haz said:

I still think we should be going for a CAM

Didn't catch much ofĀ City last season, you will need someone to play wide this season with no Kamau or potentially Arzani though?

Would be looking at Wes Hoolahan as a CAM for the A-League, at the end of his career but was still playing with Ireland up until last year and played 33 times for Norwich in the Championship last year. Free transfer. Better players out there, but he would create loads if played to his strengths.Ā 

7 minutes ago, Celt said:

Didn't catch much ofĀ City last season, you will need someone to play wide this season with no Kamau or potentially Arzani though?

Would be looking at Wes Hoolahan as a CAM for the A-League, at the end of his career but was still playing with Ireland up until last year and played 33 times for Norwich in the Championship last year. Free transfer. Better players out there, but he would create loads if played to his strengths.Ā 

We have Vidosic and O'Halloran at present, with Wales and wealth of youngsters coming through that can have a crack there. Ideally we'll sign our marquee as a winger with serious goal threat though and really flesh out that part of the pitch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

We have Vidosic and O'Halloran at present, with Wales and wealth of youngsters coming through that can have a crack there. Ideally we'll sign our marquee as a winger with serious goal threat though and really flesh out that part of the pitch.

Gatlin?

• Like 1

Sydney have pretty much signed this guy as a VISA CB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jop_van_der_Linden

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jop-van-der-linden/profil/spieler/80671

Ā 

Imo would have been a decent partner to Bort. I have faith that we will sign a VISA CB and not be playing Malik or Delbridge there in a few months time.

Edited by haz

2 hours ago, haz said:

Sydney have pretty much signed this guy as a VISA CB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jop_van_der_Linden

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jop-van-der-linden/profil/spieler/80671

Ā 

Imo would have been a decent partner to Bort. I have faith that we will sign a VISA CB and not be playing Malik or Delbridge there in a few months time.

Why do we need a CB if we have Delbridge, La Rocca and Malik. Surely if one of them aren't up to speed then they should be released.

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Why do we need a CB if we have Delbridge, La Rocca and Malik. Surely if one of them aren't up to speed then they should be released.

Ā 

2 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

We shouldnā€™t be looking at any CB unless we decide toĀ releaseĀ the ones we have . End of storyĀ 

now sign another wingerĀ 

We have two VISA spots, where are our two weakest positions...

Ideally what I want is for competition for every spot, almost like we could swap our entire team and not have a player from the 2ns XI put of positionĀ 

GK Bouzanis and Galekovic

RB Atkinson and Pierias????Ā 

CB Schenkeveld Delbridge LaRocca ______

LB Jamieson _________

CDM Malik GriffithsĀ 

CM Brattan Caceras McGee Vidosic

RW O'Halloran _______

ST Fornaroli ________

LW Wales _________

Ā 

Ā 

We still have a fair few signings to complete, definitely 5 possibly 6 to make our squad anywhere near complete IMO

• jw1739 pinned this topic