Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I suspect that for us it all now depends on Arzani. Once his future is resolved I suspect we'll quickly see a lot of other pieces drop into place. 

What is the latest on Arzani? It's all gone very quiet.

41 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

if he departs, who are we looking at to replace him with? need a backup for Vidosic for sure 

I'd assume a marquee winger. That's why resolving Arzani's future is the key to the other signings we need to make. Not least as well because if he stays another year, it's much more likely that he would become our second marquee, as Mooy did. 

13 hours ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Apparently Honda is in Melbourne, most likely for a medical with Victory.

Without being one of those posters who runs around claiming that the sky is falling in, this ought to be a reminder that we need to get our own list sorted. It's time to resolve Arzani's status, our marquee places, and our remaining squad places, visa and non-visa. We really want to avoid yet another season where we fail to match and exceed Victory. Last season hurt, watching them win the playoffs from fourth and nick our place in Asia. Cannot be allowed to happen again. 

Edited by fensaddler

33 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Without being one of those posters who runs around claiming that the sky is falling in, this ought to be a reminder that we need to get our own list sorted. It's time to resolve Arzani's status, our marquee places, and our remaining squad places, visa and non-visa. We really want to avoid yet another season where we fail to match and exceed Victory. Last season hurt, watching them win the playoffs from fourth and nick our place in Asia. Cannot be allowed to happen again. 

I agree. I will be plenty pissed off if Victory secure Honda. They are making us look second-best where it counts - on the football field. No-one cares about the back-room stuff, the facilities, the links and pathways, the academy, etc. etc. if it isn't reflected in success in the A-League and entry into Asia.

Edited by jw1739

13 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Without being one of those posters who runs around claiming that the sky is falling in,

The sky isn't falling, however the marquee is crucial to the team's success.
A good quote to summarise our issue is this:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein,

We need to get a marquee and play him every game... it's that simple.

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree. I will be plenty pissed off if Victory secure Honda. They are making us look second-best everywhere it counts - on the football field. No-one cares about the back-room stuff, the facilities, the links and pathways, the academy, etc. etc. if it isn't reflected in success in the A-League and entry into Asia.

Whilst i do think Honda would be a great fit for us and hope we get him, i really couldnt care less whether we sign a name player or not at the end of the day provided whoever we sign as marquee does the business on the pitch. If that's Leroy George, then i'm ambivalent to Victory signing Honda.

If our marquee fails again a la Koren, Colazo or Bud then the appropriate heads need to roll. You don't get three fuck-ups in a row in such a key spot for our team, irrespective of how well theyve done with the rest of the squad.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Whilst i do think Honda would be a great fit for us and hope we get him, i really couldnt care less whether we sign a name player or not at the end of the day provided whoever we sign as marquee does the business on the pitch. If that's Leroy George, then i'm ambivalent to Victory signing Honda.

If our marquee fails again a la Koren, Colazo or Bud then the appropriate heads need to roll. You don't get three fuck-ups in a row in such a key spot for our team, irrespective of how well theyve done with the rest of the squad.

They weren't, the error was not playing them. As for Colazo, well he was just a victim to the JVS system of rubbish and the lack of a quality CAM not being played as was discussed in that time.

And totally agree, George would be a great signing IMO.

4 minutes ago, playmaker said:

They weren't, the error was not playing them. As for Colazo, well he was just a victim to the JVS system of rubbish and the lack of a quality CAM not being played as was discussed in that time.

This belongs in the UOTIH thread.

I'm sure you'll find that most agree.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Indeed. We don't necessarily need a name, just astute, effective signings. We can do it, Bort and Bruno are two excellent examples, and if we've never heard of our marquee, that's not necessarily bad. With some caution about attitude (ie is he awkward or disruptive) I'd agree that George would be good, and would also serve to piss off the Tards, especially if he tore them a new one in the derby... 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Indeed. We don't necessarily need a name, just astute, effective signings. We can do it, Bort and Bruno are two excellent examples, and if we've never heard of our marquee, that's not necessarily bad. With some caution about attitude (ie is he awkward or disruptive) I'd agree that George would be good, and would also serve to piss off the Tards, especially if he tore them a new one in the derby... 

Counter to Bort,Mooy and Bruno would be as mentioned Colazo,Koren and Budzinski  (regardless of why they weren't effective they still weren't ).

So I'd say overall the visa/marquee signings since CFG takeover is running around 50% success rate if they can up that around the 70% mark I think most would be happy.

Interesting times.

I think when looking at the Honda signing you also need to look at it in the context of there other signings. They've lost a lot of their better players and signed Corey Brown and Storm Roux - neither incredible signings that I'm dreading we missed out on. While Honda is a great aquasition for them (assuming it goes through), one man doesnt make a team and they still have a long, long way to go. 

City on the other hand have resigned some proven performers from last season in Brattan and Malik, given Caseres another shot (call it biased optimism but I think we'll see him playing at another level under Joyce) and signed McGree who is a low key huge signing, then chuck in Wales and O'Halloran for good measure. I'm telling you guys, we're getting really close. Once we sort out the arzani issue, we need another CB, 10 and potentially Winger (depending on where the chips fall). The Visitors still have a long, long way to go.

This is our fucking year, we're coming for the crown.

COYCB.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Counter to Bort,Mooy and Bruno would be as mentioned Colazo,Koren and Budzinski  (regardless of why they weren't effective they still weren't ).

So I'd say overall the visa/marquee signings since CFG takeover is running around 50% success rate if they can up that around the 70% mark I think most would be happy.

Interesting times.

None of the first three were signed as marquees, whereas all of the second three were...

IMO it doesn't matter why any particular signing - the most obvious ones being visa and marquee signings - does not deliver to expectation. Irrespective of whether it is non-contribution from the player - except in the case of genuine injury as per Heart/Engelaar - or that the manager doesn't play him, the outcome is the same. It is a failure in recruitment.

Visa/marquee players.

Season 2014-15:
Rob Wielaert (second season)
Harry Novillo (injury replacement)
Robert Koren
Damien Duff
Jonatan Germano (second season)
Kew Jaliens (injury replacement)
Liam Miller (injury replacement)
David Villa (guest)
Safuwan Baharudin

Season 2015-16:
Tommy Sorensen
Aaron Hughes
Aaron Mooy
Harry Novillo
Bruno Fornaroli

Season 2016-17
Tommy Sorensen
Nicolas Colazo
Tim Cahill
Michael Jakobsen
Bruno Fornaroli
Fernando Brandan

Season 2017-18
Bart Schenkeveld
Michael Jakobsen
Bruno Fornaroli
Fernando Brandan
Marcin Budzinski

41 minutes ago, IssySG said:

I think when looking at the Honda signing you also need to look at it in the context of there other signings. They've lost a lot of their better players and signed Corey Brown and Storm Roux - neither incredible signings that I'm dreading we missed out on. While Honda is a great aquasition for them (assuming it goes through), one man doesnt make a team and they still have a long, long way to go. 

City on the other hand have resigned some proven performers from last season in Brattan and Malik, given Caseres another shot (call it biased optimism but I think we'll see him playing at another level under Joyce) and signed McGree who is a low key huge signing, then chuck in Wales and O'Halloran for good measure. I'm telling you guys, we're getting really close. Once we sort out the arzani issue, we need another CB, 10 and potentially Winger (depending on where the chips fall). The Visitors still have a long, long way to go.

This is our fucking year, we're coming for the crown.

COYCB.

Was just walking back to my desk thinking some of this. Whilst we still have two or three key pieces to put in the picture, the signings and resignings (as well as the players we've let go to make space in many cases) we have made are excellent. McGree, Wales and O'Halloran look great business, and I'm positive about Caceres. So pleased so far, want to see the biggest chips on the table to know whether we are really serious. I want this year to be the one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Because most are MK Ultraed sheep.

The truth is:

no marquee = no silverware

you-cant-handle.gif.ecaef0be31b81da9ca1246cdb15d5039.gif

Do ever rebutt anyones actual argument? 

All you do is just restate points that people aren't even arguing.

I doubt there is anyone on here who thinks we can win silverware without fit and firing Marquees.

BT wasn't arguing that, he was saying Koren, Colazo and Budzinski were failed marquees and you fire back with we need marquees to win silverware. Of course we fucking do, but we need good marquees not failed marquees.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, malloy said:

BT wasn't arguing that, he was saying Koren, Colazo and Budzinski were failed marquees and you fire back with we need marquees to win silverware. Of course we fucking do, but we need good marquees not failed marquees.

You need to relax man as I am contributing to the discussion and as people disagree with me, I am allowed to disagree with others or post a neutral opinion. The problem is that people get too sensitive to normal discourse and tongue in cheek comments. Get over it as it's just football.

I am glad you agree that we need a good marquee but further to that is that he needs to be played no matter what as he should be the best player and potential match winner in every game.

But further to this, I am saying that if the above doesn't happen then we will in the same position as we have been in for the last 3 season, which is a correct statement based on what we observe and can measure in other clubs with marquees that actually play.

The Budinski situation cost us a trophy last season and the blame falls directly on Wazza, and furthermore the loss to th Jets is also all his fault not only because of the Bud situation, but also in Malik being CB when we had La Rocca and Delbridge on the player list.

And tbh I can't see the rationale of being excited about Wales or Mcgree when we haven't cemented a match winning signing, this scenario happens every off season and then.... well we know how the story goes.

I am sick and tired of managers and excuses costing us success.

I hope Wazza does right this season, but can guarantee that no marquee playing every game = no trophies.

Drain the swamp

I see it this way, I love Honda and I want his little oriental babies, but if we sign George* and Victory sign Honda I will be happy. This is assuming that George helps our team perform equal or better to what impact Honda has on Victory.

(*Or anyone of similar quality)

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic