Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

23 minutes ago, bristolcityheart said:

Does this mean we're unlikely to sign a marquee attacking mid?

Not necessarily. I'd have this bloke as a pure midfielder that can go all over the place.

I rated him really high until that fukn goal in the semi...

This squad is really starting to take shape nicely... Good young players, would be nice to see an experienced CAM to complement them.

...Actually makes me wonder what the status of Brattan is...

Edited by rass

3 minutes ago, neio said:

Mcgree pretty much replaces mauk, an it's definitely an upgrade 

Very happy with this signing 

Sort of. I think positionally he probably replaces Bozanic/Malik, but offers goals from midfield that Mauk provides. Exciting if we can now nail a genuine 10.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Sort of. I think positionally he probably replaces Bozanic/Malik, but offers goals from midfield that Mauk provides. Exciting if we can now nail a genuine 10.

Well positional he does, but I didn't think mauk was a 10 at any stage. I genuinely think mauk and mcgree are roughly the same player

• Like 1

Just now, neio said:

Well positional he does, but I didn't think mauk was a 10 at any stage. I genuinely think mauk and mcgree are roughly the same player

Yeh thats fair enough. I suspect we'll go for a 10 in the marquee slot though and McGree will be our starting 8. I guess Mauk could have played as an 8 last year, but our lack of viable 10 options forced him there.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

How does this signing affect Genreau's prospects? Also the rumours on De Silva and Liam Rose?

I think we can put a line through De Silva. No one seems to know who owns the rights to him, who pays him, and how much he is on, and how much he wants. It's all very messy 

14 minutes ago, neio said:

I think we can put a line through De Silva. No one seems to know who owns the rights to him, who pays him, and how much he is on, and how much he wants. It's all very messy 

Tbh i dont really want him now that we've signed O'Halloran, def not as our marquee anyway. It stands to reason that with Bud gone and O'Halloran signed to play LW that our marquee will either be a 10 or Arzani so signing Da Silva might end up costing us in other areas. I certainly dont think he's worth investing too heavily in anyway. Potential look of our squad :

Bouzanis

Atkinson Bart VISA CB Jamieson

Brattan McGree

Marquee

Arzani Bruno O'Halloran

Galekovic Vidosic Visa Genreau Pierias La Rocca Delbridge Najaarine

Sign a good marquee and cb and we are set, add in an aussie winger as a backup (wales?) and maybe a visa mid.
Tbh i'd rather we nailed our visa cb if it meant only using 4 visa spots than say spending 200k on two mediocre players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i'd rather we nailed our visa cb if it meant only using 4 visa spots than say spending 200k on two mediocre players.

This is a very interesting point. In seasons past I would have said your crazy and this is complete horse shit. But with the squad shaping as it is and depending on the 2 massive provisos a marquee #10 and visa cb I could see your scenario actually working.

As a secondary addition it gives the flexibility in January to bring in an extra visa if the above is actually horse shit and we need an extra because the existing list has been overated.

I like.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

O'Halloran, McGree and Bozanic all announced within 3 days. With the players returning for pre-season in early July seems like the issues are being settled one by one. IMO we'll hear about Malik pretty soon. 

And Budzik. I suspect a lot is going on behind the scenes and we'll see a few more things resolved soon. Personally I'd be wanting to keep Malik and Brattan in the squad, but I guess we'll see. 

4 hours ago, silva10 said:

I see that Gareth McAuley has been released by West Brom. Now I know he is 38, but I think he would be excellent alongside Bort. 

Don't know anything about him but going on age alone it won't happen. 

I think it's pretty clear the bulk of the squad will be under 30.

18 hours ago, Jovan said:

Don't know anything about him but going on age alone it won't happen. 

I think it's pretty clear the bulk of the squad will be under 30.

He is a very solid player who is good aerially in defence and attack. His experience would be a good asset IMO. However, your probably right in saying we will look for younger players.

16 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

apparently villa want him 

I am not surprised by that

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bellydrum said:

BeÅŸiktaÅŸ after Gulum apparently

An Australian "Visa" player is arguably the 2nd most important type of signing in a HAL team (after the Marquees).

Here is a list of joint national that would count as Australian

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/detailsuche/spielerdetail/suche/9335479

He looks decent, Melbourne boy too

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aleksandar-jovanovic/profil/spieler/50377

• jw1739 pinned this topic