Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t sign many squad players this season and promote more from the NPL into the senior squad IMO.

its easy to be cynical about that with the whole ‘oh cfg using us to make money’. But really, that approach is what Heart wanted to do at the start

Think this might end up being the case since we've seen so many outs Post-Season - and I'm sure the Sheikh will want to start seeing some ROI on the training facility and the Youth Side. 

Fair enough. I don't think you can justify paying more than 250-300k for him, and arguably that figure is too high depending on your thoughts around his potential.
I'd be happy with him as a signing, but we need to be careful not to overcommit.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Fair enough. I don't think you can justify paying more than 250-300k for him, and arguably that figure is too high depending on your thoughts around his potential.
I'd be happy with him as a signing, but we need to be careful not to overcommit.

I am totally in agreement with this. De $ilva has not proven his worth. Roma took a punt; 500 k to them is nothing, No cap to deal with. Danny De $ilva needs to do way more before he would make the Socceroos and IMO his CCM efforts last season were sub par to the expectations and the actual performance. If he was a socceroo maybe 500K. I also tend to think that he is too small for our competition. At 5'7' and 60 kg he is an injury waiting to happen. I am suspicious that City Group only want to pick him up to make a few bucks by selling him on to a more suitable comp for his body/playing style. Spain seems a good choice. It raises the question (again) that Joyce gets to choose a few players but also gets told who he will be playing with. I have mentioned it before and so have others, i think we will see some of the scholarship players, or cheap 19 -20 YO from around the a league given a run this year. Its clear that development and investment return is a primary focus. Mooy, Arzani, De silva, etc is the start. Once the system is proven we will have the absolute pick of youth in OZ.

I say yes to De Silva for 2 years @ 250K. After one season loan him out to our CFG affiliate Girona FC with a purchase option. he will be turning 23 by then. they get 750 to 1mil. job done. move on to the next youth product.  

1 hour ago, neio said:

The Roma/De Silva link is a murky one.  See https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/exclusive-ffa-probe-de-silva-roma-deal-468629/page2

Anyway, we can't make him a marquee unless we dispose of Budzinski somehow. And neither would we want to purely on football grounds - he's not worth it based on what we've seen of him. I'd rather see Denis Genreau in our team than De Silva.

I'm putting my trust in Warren Joyce to get the signings right this season.

2 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Wasnt the Roma transfer cancelled? I remember Roma not paying his first instalment and thus glory terminating the transfer and sending him on a 2 year loan deal to Roda. After that he signed with CCM?

That is indeed what I have read, and it is borne out by what is shown on transfermarket.co.uk.

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Also, if there's any truth in this article https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/de-silva-s-city-move-stalls-as-rivals-move-in then we must have concluded or agreed on (quite) a few signings. Otherwise how would we know where we are on the salary cap?

Given how tight the salary cap is in this league I'd suggest that clubs would allocate funds to certain areas of the squad and adhere to those rigidly during the transfer window, even if signings aren't actually locked in yet.

If 50k more on DDS means 50k less they can spend on another CB (for example), perhaps they feel that it's more important that the money is allocated to that area of the team etc etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Embee said:

Given how tight the salary cap is in this league I'd suggest that clubs would allocate funds to certain areas of the squad and adhere to those rigidly during the transfer window, even if signings aren't actually locked in yet.

If 50k more on DDS means 50k less they can spend on another CB (for example), perhaps they feel that it's more important that the money is allocated to that area of the team etc etc.

@Embee Wouldn't Roma paying more than 50% of a loaned player's wage breach the Lampard Rule?

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Embee Wouldn't Roma paying more than 50% of a loaned player's wage breach the Lampard Rule?

Nah, that rule only applies if they're owned by a club who have an affiliation with the loanee team, which is why we theoretically wouldn't have had to pay Ross' full wages last season if we extended his loan.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Also, if there's any truth in this article https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/de-silva-s-city-move-stalls-as-rivals-move-in then we must have concluded or agreed on (quite) a few signings. Otherwise how would we know where we are on the salary cap?

The more pertinent question is how does the journo know our salary cap situation? They must have a pretty good source or they are just making shit up. 

Here's my breakdown of the cap. We only have 16 players on the senior roster contracted for next season:

• Five are scholarship players, which means that the first ~$50k for each player is exempt (they wouldn't be on much more than that anyway) 
  • Two are marquees and are also exempt
  • Five players are squaddies (Delbridge), veterans (Galekovic, La Rocca) or teenagers (Arzani, Atkinson)
  • Four remaining players are Vidosic, Schenkeveld, Jamieson and Bouzanis and they would be on decent coin but not ridiculous amounts

Unless we are overpaying for our first-team players, I can't see how we would be near the cap. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Harrison said:

The more pertinent question is how does the journo know our salary cap situation? They must have a pretty good source or they are just making shit up. 

Here's my breakdown of the cap. We only have 16 players on the senior roster contracted for next season:

• Five are scholarship players, which means that the first ~$50k for each player is exempt (they wouldn't be on much more than that anyway) 
  • Two are marquees and are also exempt
  • Five players are squaddies (Delbridge), veterans (Galekovic, La Rocca) or teenagers (Arzani, Atkinson)
  • Four remaining players are Vidosic, Schenkeveld, Jamieson and Bouzanis and they would be on decent coin but not ridiculous amounts

Unless we are overpaying for our first-team players, I can't see how we would be near the cap. 

Quite so. We can't be anywhere near the cap. I'd say the article is BS. But it's what happens when you keep your mouth shut about what you might be doing - CFG's mouth is firmly shut (as it should be), the journos need to write something and so they make up what might be plausible.

What has he done? Nothing. Well except failing in Europe then being average at CCM. 

Offer him no more than $200k (and he's lucky to get that) for the first season and add a clause in the contract to go as Marquee for second if he delivers the right KPIs.

If not then adios Dani.

Don't you dare MCFC, DDS is shit and needs to be ignored, all you people deceived by the hype and all the Munn love need to wake up.

Stop being sucked into the deception at our club. 

Give me new signings that can support our key players, that's all.

The Marquees and Visa players need to be the prime focus and need to be on the pitch, and everyone else needs to feed them, 

None of the Wazza crap about not playing them as it is all bullshit,

Wazza's tactics and strategies are spot on, so he needs to get the best key players as marquees and visas and get others to support, if he doesn't do this then 'drain the swamp'.

Munn and Petrillo can just piss off as they have been dead wood for years. 

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Don't you dare MCFC, DDS is shit and needs to be ignored, all you people deceived by the hype and all the Munn love need to wake up.

Stop being sucked into the deception at our club. 

Give me new signings that can support our key players, that's all.

The Marquees and Visa players need to be the prime focus and need to be on the pitch, and everyone else needs to feed them, 

None of the Wazza crap about not playing them as it is all bullshit,

Wazza's tactics and strategies are spot on, so he needs to get the best key players as marquees and visas and get others to support, if he doesn't do this then 'drain the swamp'.

Munn and Petrillo can just piss off as they have been dead wood for years. 

IMG_20180613_142244.thumb.jpg.9d3963ce063c7261cc657ddad81adb81.jpg

Smash the mother fucking like button!

19 hours ago, Jovan said:

Its going to be a long winter.

Seems like it's slower than ever and City is even quieter than usual this year, doesn't it? But it probably just appears that way, although when the lead story on our web-site is about Thomas Sorensen I do wonder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Seems like it's slower than ever and City is even quieter than usual this year, doesn't it? But it probably just appears that way, although when the lead story on our web-site is about Thomas Sorensen I do wonder.

Eh i just think its because of the world cup tbh. No point firing out a heap of announcements whilst everyone is looking the other way.
Likewise a lot of players will be waiting for the dust to settle post WC before committing to clubs, esp in Europe.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

CBF reading the previous pages but the Da Silva deal is gone?

21 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Pretty much

I don't think we can say. There just isn't enough definitive information. All we know at this point in time is that we have not announced any signings, any re-signings (e.g. Malik, Bozanic) nor any further releases (e.g. Budzinski). And it's worth bearing in mind that no other club has announced the signing of any of the players linked to us.

We will perhaps know more when City return for pre-season, but I've seen nothing on when that is either.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think we can say. There just isn't enough definitive information. All we know at this point in time is that we have not announced any signings, any re-signings (e.g. Malik, Bozanic) nor any further releases (e.g. Budzinski). And it's worth bearing in mind that no other club has announced the signing of any of the players linked to us.

We will perhaps know more when City return for pre-season, but I've seen nothing on when that is either.

Donald Rumsfeld quote

“Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic