Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 hours ago, Tony999 said:

I'd rather live in a shithole for 40mil than "the most liveable city in the world" for 3-5mil.

I think what you really mean is melbourne is the shit hole. He would be better off making 10 times as much in a more liveable city 😉

Whatever the case with Iniesta, can see FFA hoping CFG will come to the party and stump up some coin to match their war chest.

...so can totally imagine CFG would be sitting back saying 'F... You' to the FFA, which is why we're not one of the teams to allegedly show interest.

10 minutes ago, rass said:

Whatever the case with Iniesta, can see FFA hoping CFG will come to the party and stump up some coin to match their war chest.

...so can totally imagine CFG would be sitting back saying 'F... You' to the FFA, which is why we're not one of the teams to allegedly show interest.

Marwood made it pretty clear that CFG was disappointed with its investment in Australia and that FFA could not expect CFG to prop up football in Australia. I very much doubt that we'll be doing the "guest marquee" thing again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Marwood made it pretty clear that CFG was disappointed with its investment in Australia and that FFA could not expect CFG to prop up football in Australia. I very much doubt that we'll be doing the "guest marquee" thing again.

Yep exactly.

Simple solution to all of this imo. Fuk Gallop off and I'm pretty sure football in Australia will begin to improve again.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agreed. And knowing our luck, it would all go to shit anyway. If Iniesta signed for us he'd be crap or injured. Anyone else he'll be brilliant, especially against us... 

• Haha 1

On 09/05/2018 at 7:57 AM, Jovan said:

Go to Japan for 39m x 3 years

Or

Go to City for 3 maybe 5m x3 years +plus Joyce and don't forget the lifestyle and overated coffee.

The money - yep

Joyce - agree

Careful what you say about our coffee, far from being overrated, it truly is one area where Melbourne excels

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Elrich from Adelaide to Wanderers, Bujis from Sydney back to The Netherlands, Wilkshire from Sydney to ????, Ridenton from Phoenix to Newcastle.

Wilkshire signed at a npl club last week, can't remember which one 

"However if unsuccessful, FFA will continue to work with Hyundai A-League clubs to draw up a list of marquee targets who meet the threshold to use the centralised Marquee Fund."

“I think you’ll see a lot more of a collaborative approach rather than (the clubs) bringing players to us, which was the previous approach,” O’Rourke added.

Oh good, more heavy-handedness from the Politburo. If it helps us land Iniesta then I suppose everyone benefits but as 33-year-old I'd be somewhat reluctant to take him. He'd no doubt ping his hammy on the first day of pre-season and be out for a Germano and we'd be left without a marquee yet again. 

Edited by Harrison

10 minutes ago, Harrison said:

"However if unsuccessful, FFA will continue to work with Hyundai A-League clubs to draw up a list of marquee targets who meet the threshold to use the centralised Marquee Fund."

“I think you’ll see a lot more of a collaborative approach rather than (the clubs) bringing players to us, which was the previous approach,” O’Rourke added.

Oh good, more heavy-handedness from the Politburo. If it helps us land Iniesta then I suppose everyone benefits but as 33-year-old I'd be somewhat reluctant to take him. He'd no doubt ping his hammy on the first day of pre-season and be out for a Germano and we'd be left without a marquee yet again. 

I'm glad it's not just me who has this bleak view of how this would inevitably work out for us. He'd trip over a seagull on his debut for certain. I'd much rather we bust a gut to get Ross back. 

1 hour ago, Originalmeme said:

we signed lachlan wales from the mariners, how is he going to fit in with the quality we have already and the youth we have for that possy (CM).  looks like we are bringing in quality youth squad players for less cap space, hopefully for some big first XI additions!!

@Originalmeme Where is this confirmed please?

2 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

we signed lachlan wales from the mariners, how is he going to fit in with the quality we have already and the youth we have for that possy (CM).  looks like we are bringing in quality youth squad players for less cap space, hopefully for some big first XI additions!!

Was hoping for this ever since he made his senior debut for CCM - played with flair, confidence and seemed to have decent skills.

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Originalmeme Where is this confirmed please?

It's on his wikipedia page already.

Edited by Mr MO

FFA are incompetent. The big names have done nothing more than make the game a circus, and provide a blip in the numbers.

Let owners build AFC quality squads without restriction.

What would be better for the game here; one or two aging superstar novelty players in the entire league, or 5 or 6 quality international players (at Bart or Bruno’s level) per team, paired with the best young Australian (or overseas) talent?

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

It's on his wikipedia page already.

I'll wait until I see a formal announcement by City. So far we've been linked to De Silva, Liam Rose and now Lachlan Wales all from CCM. Sure as hell we aren't signing all of them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

FFA are incompetent. The big names have done nothing more than make the game a circus, and provide a blip in the numbers.

Let owners build AFC quality squads without restriction.

What would be better for the game here; one or two aging superstar novelty players in the entire league, or 5 or 6 quality international players (at Bart or Bruno’s level) per team, paired with the best young Australian (or overseas) talent?

I'll add that you don't built fan loyalty to a club by importing ageing stars to the league as a whole.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

I'm hearing Trent Buhagiar is all but done which us pinching him from Sydney's advances

Similar fashion to De Silva with Brisbane

Oz transfer saying Sydney iminent. Only way I see this is if his ccm mates wales and de silva have changed his mind. But as jw1739 said  club has announced nothing yet. IMO buhagiar has pace but limited on the ball technique. That puts Him in the 'good npl player' category. I would prefer a slower player with better skills any day. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, citymad said:

Oz transfer saying Sydney iminent. Only way I see this is if his ccm mates wales and de silva have changed his mind. But as jw1739 said  club has announced nothing yet. IMO buhagiar has pace but limited on the ball technique. That puts Him in the 'good npl player' category. I would prefer a slower player with better skills any day. 

Also, people seem to be forgetting that we have a whole academy to develop players. No point in filling our squad with ex-CCM players unless they show clear benefits over our home-grown young players.

• Like 2

The ages of these guys is different though. We have lost or released our 96-98 born players. The 20 something year olds. Our academy is mainly 99 and 2000 who are getting a look in. Most are not ready for full season stuff however a 20 yo is more resilient. Still don't want buhagiar. I think some of our 99 and 2000 will make an impact this coming season. 

47 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Buhagiar has signed with shitney 

Thank goodness for that. https://www.a-league.com.au/news/sydney-fc-sign-trent-buhagiar-central-coast-mariners-aleague-transfer

2 hours ago, citymad said:

The ages of these guys is different though. We have lost or released our 96-98 born players. The 20 something year olds. Our academy is mainly 99 and 2000 who are getting a look in. Most are not ready for full season stuff however a 20 yo is more resilient. Still don't want buhagiar. I think some of our 99 and 2000 will make an impact this coming season. 

I was more thinking of the five Scholarship players we have already attached to the seniors. Genreau, Najjarine, Najjar, Delianov, Pierias.

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Thank goodness for that. https://www.a-league.com.au/news/sydney-fc-sign-trent-buhagiar-central-coast-mariners-aleague-transfer

I was more thinking of the five Scholarship players we have already attached to the seniors. Genreau, Najjarine, Najjar, Delianov, Pierias.

Aren't they 99's. They may get a go next year off the bench. Genreau leaving I heard from pretty reliable source. But a kid who is a little older like 20 or 21 can handle it physically a bit better imo. So whales will make a decent squad back up. There are certainly more players at city's academy who could step up other than those you have listed. They are not the best of the bunch. Do yourself a favour and watch some youth games. But having said that I am just referring to meeting the squad needs of next season. Including reliable blooded depth who are not over the hill. That's your affordable 20 yo as far I am concerned. City however cleared theirs out and so we have a gap in our development stages. The academy lads and scholarship players are not ready yet. Atkinson came out of nowhere so that's not typical. Arzani was always going to be an influential player. But the point I was making is I am glad we dodged the buhagiar bullet. There will be another 20 or so player from one of the other clubs who will fill the void. Mandatory three anyway. 

1 minute ago, citymad said:

Aren't they 99's. They may get a go next year off the bench. Genreau leaving I heard from pretty reliable source. But a kid who is a little older like 20 or 21 can handle it physically a bit better imo. So whales will make a decent squad back up. There are certainly more players at city's academy who could step up other than those you have listed. They are not the best of the bunch. Do yourself a favour and watch some youth games. But having said that I am just referring to meeting the squad needs of next season. Including reliable blooded depth who are not over the hill. That's your affordable 20 yo as far I am concerned. City however cleared theirs out and so we have a gap in our development stages. The academy lads and scholarship players are not ready yet. Atkinson came out of nowhere so that's not typical. Arzani was always going to be an influential player. But the point I was making is I am glad we dodged the buhagiar bullet. There will be another 20 or so player from one of the other clubs who will fill the void. Mandatory three anyway. 

On youth matches - yes, in the Heart years I had a couple of seasons watching as many youth matches as I could. But where I live, CFA is just too bloody difficult to get to with the KO times they use, and at this stage of my life I'm not keen on being divorced for the sake of football. I don't like cooking and get cold at night.

• Like 3

I always struggle with winger / 10 players who claim they are both. Many wingers like to go forward and receive the ball facing forward or running on to it. The like to power the ball whether it's a strike or a cross. 10s should be very comfortable releasing the ball early for someone else. Many winger 10s don't play the final ball they just want to score themselves. In the 10 position a player like that creates a disconnect with the 9 and the wide players and ultimately becomes predictable to the opposition and frustrating to their own team. That's why Arzani should not play 10 imo. 

De silva would be great as our 10 if we can't afford a better one. Whales on the wing for me as a sub.

25 minutes ago, neio said:

We have said we're not interested in signing Iniesta

No doubt the FFA will crack the sads about this 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league-hopes-of-landing-iniesta-plunge-as-melbourne-city-step-away

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/citys-disinterest-in-marquees-dashes-iniesta-hopes-490751

We won't be in anything until FFA gives us more concessions. Do away with various rules such as Lampard and Caceres and we might be interested, but not until then.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league-hopes-of-landing-iniesta-plunge-as-melbourne-city-step-away

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/citys-disinterest-in-marquees-dashes-iniesta-hopes-490751

We won't be in anything until FFA gives us more concessions. Do away with various rules such as Lampard and Caceres and we might be interested, but not until then.

I think we can safely say that CFG and the FFA aren't best mates at the moment. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I think we can safely say that CFG and the FFA aren't best mates at the moment. 

The rationale behind the appointment of Warren Joyce becomes more apparent doesn't it? 

"I think right now, where we are for the next three years, is a mixture of the two," he (Marwood) continued.

"We don't want to lose sight of being successful but at the same time, we have to develop and grow the business.

"So to pay for all of the academy programs and everything else we have to do, we have to generate revenue."

• jw1739 pinned this topic