Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

8 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Typical CFG, confirmed Wazza for next season before we had the ACL spot.

We don't deserve it anyway

Sorry I'm just going to call this out for the absolute bullshit it is. Victory really had one good game all year, it was against Sydney last week. They were lucky to win to an offside goal last night. We lost to the best goal in the last 20 years last week. Whilst in the past we have been architects of our own demise, the set of probabilities that played out for us to miss ACL, only happened in this quantum universe. In all others we made the ACL. It's the unfortunate reality of finals which I think we all recognise as pot luck.

Either way ACL might have been the dream but I prefer us to do a Sydney of last year and crush the league and win the toilet seat next season. Then I'd say we are ready for ACL.

Also we should sign Dimitri Petratos. He could be the new Mooy.

• Like 2

We just need a common sense regarding visa players.  It's not smart to have visa GK and visa player on the bench.  It's not a good choice to have two visa CB or defenders.  Visa players make the most impact in the middle and up front. 

It works fine when you can field all imported players. 

I know, asking too much.

23 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

We just need a common sense regarding visa players.  It's not smart to have visa GK and visa player on the bench.  It's not a good choice to have two visa CB or defenders.  Visa players make the most impact in the middle and up front. 

It works fine when you can field all imported players. 

I know, asking too much.

If only I knew what you were asking. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

As much as I hate K.M I gotta say his requirements that he has brought over for the past 2 years or so has been huge in terms of finals footballs and countering when the scores are against them...Rojas Leroy Barbarouses Troisi, players who we seem to miss...maybe it’s too early to judge on Joyce’s 1 term or maybe we should’ve just call an oz bloke to manage our team who actually knows oz players

47 minutes ago, Embee said:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/05/06/de-silva-opts-melbourne-city-roars-expense

He better start getting some assists, or we're taking a trip to the glue factory....and he won't get to come

HrnmZB_93SR88db_JYiz1cgJbt-RJvqmx87Acgy9mNw.png?w=953&s=0aa39b8c29f7ca5924db0b4a58e9d39d

At least no one can say we didn't act quickly... Oh wait, they probably will.

I wonder though, would he be viewed as a starting #10? If so, what does that do to our desire for a quality visa #10.?

11 hours ago, wombegongal said:

Sorry I'm just going to call this out for the absolute bullshit it is. Victory really had one good game all year, it was against Sydney last week. They were lucky to win to an offside goal last night. We lost to the best goal in the last 20 years last week. Whilst in the past we have been architects of our own demise, the set of probabilities that played out for us to miss ACL, only happened in this quantum universe. In all others we made the ACL. It's the unfortunate reality of finals which I think we all recognise as pot luck.

Either way ACL might have been the dream but I prefer us to do a Sydney of last year and crush the league and win the toilet seat next season. Then I'd say we are ready for ACL.

Someone call Doctor Stran......... Wait never mind 

2 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

As much as I hate K.M I gotta say his requirements that he has brought over for the past 2 years or so has been huge in terms of finals footballs and countering when the scores are against them...Rojas Leroy Barbarouses Troisi, players who we seem to miss...maybe it’s too early to judge on Joyce’s 1 term or maybe we should’ve just call an oz bloke to manage our team who actually knows oz players

It's not the players, none of them have done well when playing for other teams, it's the mentality.

We have soft-cock mentality

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Fuck if we sign Da Silva as our attacking mid we may as well kiss another season goodbye. We need to aim much higher. 

25 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Da Silva is a great signing. We should be able to get knocked out a semi again next season with the squad we're building. 

20 minutes ago, RedAndWhitePride said:

We're a good club. 

Big club. 

The league better be scared. 

That didn't take long, did it? 

• Like 1

Wow so De Silva is pretty much our replacement for Mauk according to OzTransfer...the only positive I can see from this is, if De Silva isn’t performing up to Waz’s standards then he’s got Budz to replace...yeah our Marquee AM

Edited by Afif Adam

16 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I hope we are after this Wales kid as well.

It's interesting to think what position we will use visas then. It looks like a visa winger opposite Arzani, suggesting Vidosic may leave, and perhaps a visa 8 instead of Bozanic. Not sure where Budz fits in the plans for next season, apart from bench warmer

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

It's interesting to think what position we will use visas then. It looks like a visa winger opposite Arzani, suggesting Vidosic may leave, and perhaps a visa 8 instead of Bozanic. Not sure where Budz fits in the plans for next season, apart from bench warmer

Why would Vidosic leave?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Where are we going to get the best value from visa players? We'll have Arzani on a wing, da Silva (perhaps) as a 10, where will Vidosic play?

Far too early to be worrying about who plays where.  First we do not have confirmation of De Silva, and second we have at this point, excluding Scholarship players, only four attackers/midfielders under contract for next season - Arzani, Fornaroli, Budzinski and Vidosic - and only 11 players contracted in all.

Plenty of room in the squad.

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Far too early to be worrying about who plays where.  First we do not have confirmation of De Silva, and second we have at this point, excluding Scholarship players, only four attackers/midfielders under contract for next season - Arzani, Fornaroli, Budzinski and Vidosic - and only 11 players contracted in all.

Plenty of room in the squad.

If it's too early then we should shut the forum for 4 months:tooth:

Any recruiting has to occur within the structure of the team we envisage to play the style that we wish to play, surely that thinking starts now? What role would you see for Vidosic? We have 1 visa position free, 2 if we can release Budz, where would you be looking to put a visa player?

For me we should be looking at releasing Bud and targeting a marquee visa winger, and looking to resign Bratts and Malik. Not overly fussed with Bozanic either way, but happy with one of him or Mauk as a backup option if the price is right. Im not fussed whether Jako is retained if we get Gulum, but should that eventuate the fifth visa can be a cheap 'punt' option in any of the positions the gaffer feels necessary to cover. Visas should end up as Bart, Bruno, Marquee Winger, DM and Jakobsen/punt.

For me our front 4 should be 5 quality players, given you are likely to nearly always have at least one injury/suspension and Dario and Bruno provide the flexibility to play in all 4 positions

Ideally the side looks something like this;

Bouzanis

Atkinson      Schenkeveld    Gulum/Jako    Jamieson

Brattan              Visa

De Silva

Arzani                        Fornaroli           Marquee Visa

SUBS : Galekovic   Vidosic  Visa  Malik Mauk/Bozanic

Additional : Delianov (GK) La Rocca Najjar Genreau Najaarine Delbridge Pierias

IMO thats a title winning side if you nail the marquee in particular

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

IMO thats a title winning side if you nail the marquee in particular

Where have we heard that before. 

Title winning side needs a title winning manager.

I'm over going over the list and working out what we need, what we don't need.

Do we load up on a strong 11 and youth or do we go with decent 2 players per position.

And all need is one paticular player to play in a particular position. 

What we need is boss that doesn't change his squad in January and uses his bench when chasing games. Doesn't play defenders in midfield. 

And when thing ultimately turn to shit is prepared to take a risk and give some fringe players a crack.

Edited by Jovan
Sorry still bitter, shouldn't have left the simpsons only thread.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Where have we heard that before. 

Title winning side needs a title winning manager.

I'm over going over the list and working out what we need, what we don't need.

Do we load up on a strong 11 and youth or do we go with decent 2 players per position.

And all need is one paticular player to play in a particular position. 

What we need is boss that doesn't change his squad in January and uses his bench when chasing games. Doesn't play defenders in midfield. 

And when thing ultimately turn to shit is prepared to take a risk and give some fringe players a crack.

Indeed, but we havent managed to find the balance of attack and defence with the title winning squad yet. My belief is that we've gotten the closest to that as we have in our history this year, but it came at the expense of the title winning squad. And tbh, routinely failing with our 2nd marquee has ultimately held us back in the City era. Crucial to get that right.

"Hopefully", Joyce's own team alongside his approach will be the ultimate cure.
I know quite a few dont like Joyce, and whilst i note he has a few short-comings, i ultimately think he can steer us to the title. I certainly dont think he's any less capable as a manger than say Mike Mulvey or Kevin Muscat have displayed in their times as title winning gaffers.

IMO with us now missing out on ACL then the best 16 approach + youth is now the way to go. Had ACL been on the table perhaps a two players for every possie approach would have been understandable, but as we failed we should be doing everythingto secure regular season supremacy.

Edited by bt50

• jw1739 pinned this topic