Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

5 minutes ago, haz said:

We also have a salary cap

I think there are affordable keepers out there who tick the right boxes, though we may need to give up a visa. I'm not asking for De Gea, just someone who does everything important to a decent enough standard. Composure and a natural affinity for positioning correctly being the most important things for me. Everything else can be coached (so too can positioning to an extent but I think keepers have that ability naturally to a larger extent). 

I also get that Dean is a modern keeper who plays as the 11th outfielder. You can't have that ability and then expect a good shot stopper on top.

It comes down to what you want out of a keeper. Very good topic for discussion IMO.

4 hours ago, Harrison said:

I think there are affordable keepers out there who tick the right boxes, though we may need to give up a visa. I'm not asking for De Gea, just someone who does everything important to a decent enough standard. Composure and a natural affinity for positioning correctly being the most important things for me. Everything else can be coached (so too can positioning to an extent but I think keepers have that ability naturally to a larger extent). 

I also get that Dean is a modern keeper who plays as the 11th outfielder. You can't have that ability and then expect a good shot stopper on top.

It comes down to what you want out of a keeper. Very good topic for discussion IMO.

@HarrisonI'm a traditionalist. Good acrobatic shot-stopper for me. For my liking Bouzanis is too often like a statue when the ball goes past him. And Galekovic and Bouzanis are more or less on the same level, and I think we're wasting a squad space on one or other of them.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

And that reason was?

Because Eugene's been on a downhill slide for the past 3 seasons and is well, well past his best. Fortunately for us the standard of goalkeeping in the A-League is probably at its lowest point ever with Redmayne and Jamie Young the standouts this season. Only improvements we could make is signing a foreign keeper of paying premium for a keeper like Birighitti. Only other keeper of note abroad who will be looking for a move is Federici and he'd still likely be able to earn a substantial amount in the Championship if a club is prepared to take a risk on him.

I don't see why everyone is bagging Bouzanis.

First of all he's on a multi year contract. So he's not going anywhere

He's still very young for a goal keeper.

He's not perfect but if he was, he wouldn't be playing in the Aleague

I know they don't work all the time, but a number of goals this  season were scored directly from his distribution

we have a salary cap

the guy probaly isn't even on First Choice wages, if you want to get angry. Aim it at the club for signing Galekovic

• Like 2

4 hours ago, haz said:

I know they don't work all the time, but a number of goals this  season were scored directly from his distribution

we have a salary cap

the guy probaly isn't even on First Choice wages, if you want to get angry. Aim it at the club for signing Galekovic

IMO it's an indirect aim at the club. Honestly, Galekovic is just another ageing ex-Adelaide player signed by Michael Petrillo. And even if we did think him worthy of signing, make it one season and not two. Petrillo is a dill.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, haz said:

we have a salary cap

This probably isn’t fair at all (& it’s just an opinion) but I think it has a lot to do with the way he holds himself. Just comes across as an arrogant wanker & from all reports that assumptions not far off the mark. Opens himself up for criticism, a lot of the time probably unjustified.

His distribution can be terrific at times but then at other times he’ll try something completely unnecessary just to show ‘technique’. 

8 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Well l just chatted with Dario. Some interesting decisions coming up 🙊 But I'll let the club communicate that!

26 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Cmon, spill the beans! This is pretty much what everyone looks forward to during the long off season. 

He is talking shit. Next

8 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Well l just chatted with Dario. Some interesting decisions coming up 🙊 But I'll let the club communicate that!

26 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Cmon, spill the beans! This is pretty much what everyone looks forward to during the long off season. 

He is talking shit. Next

45 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Take it easy. This bit of info might keep us going for a few weeks. 

We have a long cold winter ahead.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Well according to @Dylan I'm talking shit so lets just leave it at then. I guess people will just have to wait a couple to a few months to find out.

Next.

Sack Munn, Petrillo, and get some good international players that will be on the pitch.

Wazza has his chance, just dont stuff it up

• Like 1

7 hours ago, playmaker said:

Sack Munn, Petrillo, and get some good international players that will be on the pitch.

Wazza has his chance, just dont stuff it up

Certainly Petrillo's job ought to be on the line. It was Munn and Petrillo who went to Manchester to discuss players we required. Munn has other roles in the club but Petrillo is head of the Football Department and IMO he made some major stuff-ups this season.

Anyway, seems like departures will be announced very soon. https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/04/30/arzani-staying-put-vanquished-city-begin-rebuild

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

Not a lot of foreign based Aussies who would be looking for a move home this off season that would improve our squad. Only really Curtis Good, Federici, Birighitti and Jason Davidson are on the outer in Europe. Of our Asian based guys you never know their situation with the way clubs seem to release players on a regular basis.

On 30/04/2018 at 9:16 AM, Tony999 said:

Well according to @Dylan I'm talking shit so lets just leave it at then. I guess people will just have to wait a couple to a few months to find out.

Next.

You don’t wanna be the first entry in the bullshit watch for the new season?

• jw1739 pinned this topic