Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

23 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Roly Bonevacia and Chris Herd both apparently able to leave WSW.

Dont think we need Herd at this stage, but thoughts on Roly???

I’d take last season Roly ...this season Roly looks pretty dead compared to lasts, he ain’t no Brattsy

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mauk have another go in Netherlands and Bud leaving with Roly coming in. I think he is severely underrated. 

Although I suspect all next seasons visa signings will depend on what happens with the FFA congress

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mauk have another go in Netherlands and Bud leaving with Roly coming in. I think he is severely underrated. 

Although I suspect all next seasons visa signings will depend on what happens with the FFA congress

Mauk is on loan to us from NEC Nijmegen and he will return to that club at the end of our season.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

If I was him I would request to stay here as his playing minutes will be very limited if he goes back, and at his age he needs to be on the pitch as much as possible and under a top level seasoned manager with a focus towards player development. Wazza is perfect for Mauk.

I think we'll see Mauky here next season. NEC are currently second in the Netherlands Jupiter League and could easily win it and automatic promotion back to the Eredivisie; if they didn't need Mauk this season I can't see them calling for him for next. Although City Football Group has no direct financial interest in NEC, it does have a link to it - NEC is one of its "work permit clubs." - and so I don't think it would be difficult for City to secure Mauk for next season if he wants to stay with us.

• Like 2

On 11/04/2018 at 9:48 PM, fiji19 said:

Roly Bonevacia and Chris Herd both apparently able to leave WSW.

Dont think we need Herd at this stage, but thoughts on Roly???

I may have taken Roly as a player that may improve but if people think he's more than a substitute right now theyre mistaken. Goes missing way to much and does no hard work the other way.

12 hours ago, Simo said:

What's our main position  we should be targeting for next season. 

11 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

A proper number 10! #missingmooy

IMO that's a given, but I also think we need strengthening right across the front line. We can't keep relying on a single striker, whether it be a McCormack or a  Fornaroli. Neither Kamau nor Fitzgerald is a starting player - that's if they're even staying with the club - so I think we need a couple of wingers.

We need the maximum allowed number of visa players, whether it's 5, 4+1 or 3+1, and better use of the second marquee position than Budzinski has been. Whether the issue has been Budzinski or Joyce doesn't matter to me - we need to look at outcomes rather than process - and the outcome this season has been a waste of a marquee position.

In the defence, surely Muscat will be released?

Other needs will be apparent when we see who's staying and who's leaving.

• Like 1

Bouzanis

Atkinson - Bort - Jako - Jamo

Brattan - ________

Arzani - _________ - Vidosic

Bruno

Squaddies: Malik, Fitzy

Definately need a #10 and a ball winning midfielder, the rest of the team is good enough (Bouzanis is generally about par for the course for A-League keepers atm). Although another winger who is willing to attack the full backs wouldn't hurt either and could allow Arzani and Vidosic to rotate across the line. 

So from where I see it, we lose Jakobsen and gain Gulum. And I can't see how we keep budzinski again

So we have 3 VISA spots to fill, one should be an Asian player

I'd like to see them used as a defensive mid, an attacking mid and a winger, with my preference for the marquee to be a number 10 with some real credentials (like Mierzejewski)

1 minute ago, neio said:

So from where I see it, we lose Jakobsen and gain Gulum. And I can't see how we keep budzinski again

So we have 3 VISA spots to fill, one should be an Asian player

I'd like to see them used as a defensive mid, an attacking mid and a winger, with my preference for the marquee to be a number 10 with some real credentials (like Mierzejewski)

Who was that 4 ft. high Thai winger who played against Australia at AAMI Park? He was magic.

On different notes, James Delianov our Scholarship GK travelled with the squad to Wellington - I wonder whether Galekovic will continue with us in the second year of his contract? And our youth Scholarship striker Moudi Najjar got his second hat-trick of the season in the NPL yesterday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

Needs:

- #10 Marquee

- Ball playing CDM (Dont think this will happen)

-  Back-up striker, Youth or NPL

- VISA CB if Jako leaves

- Asian VISA (in our weakest position)

If we get Gulum I don't think we need the VISA CB, Bart and Gulum would be a bloody good combo, leaves as options to get more attacking players with visa spots 

1 hour ago, neio said:

If we get Gulum I don't think we need the VISA CB, Bart and Gulum would be a bloody good combo, leaves as options to get more attacking players with visa spots 

Yep the VISA CB was not assuming Gulum is signed, so of course he takes that spot and then we have another VISA spot available

Yep, if Jako goes (hoepfully he doesn't) Gulum is a good replacement and frees up a VISA spot.

I was big on bringing in a marquee/VISA #10 too, but after discussions with @bt50 I feel like Dario could be the answer there and that a dangerous wide forward would probably be the better option.

Bringing in an Asian VISA is obviously going to be important given the new structure, given the money available in those leagues I'm of the opinion that the Asian spot should probably be filled by a marquee level player as you're not really going to get anyone good that fits under the cap in this league.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Embee said:

Yep, if Jako goes (hoepfully he doesn't) Gulum is a good replacement and frees up a VISA spot.

I was big on bringing in a marquee/VISA #10 too, but after discussions with @bt50 I feel like Dario could be the answer there and that a dangerous wide forward would probably be the better option.

Bringing in an Asian VISA is obviously going to be important given the new structure, given the money available in those leagues I'm of the opinion that the Asian spot should probably be filled by a marquee level player as you're not really going to get anyone good that fits under the cap in this league.

@Embee So is the mooted change to 4+1 https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/ffa-under-fire-over-changes-to-visa-player-eligibility/news-story/6709aa7b66f7ded98064f5158d895941 a reality or still a disputed proposal?

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

One of the more respected journalists, I think Zappone, reported that it was going through next season for sure.

7 hours ago, Chris p said:

Asian player slot is a joke

Why? Nearly 50 countries, with a very high standard of player in quite a few of them (did you watch the 2015 Cup finals here in Melbourne?). We chose to join the Asian Football Confederation and I see no reason why we should not play our part in the development of the Confederation as a whole.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Why? Nearly 50 countries, with a very high standard of player in quite a few of them (did you watch the 2015 Cup finals here in Melbourne?). We chose to join the Asian Football Confederation and I see no reason why we should not play our part in the development of the Confederation as a whole.

what makes you think Australia is a better place to develop as a player than any other country ? 

46 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Liam Rose and Peter Skapetis both available, would they add anything to our squad?? 

The rest of the released Mariners are NPL players at best, Storm Roux off to Victory

If Muscat, fitzy and kamooo aren’t around we will be in the hunt for squadies/bench players in the wings and RB position 

Edited by Missing_Moy

47 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Liam Rose and Peter Skapetis both available, would they add anything to our squad?? 

The rest of the released Mariners are NPL players at best, Storm Roux off to Victory

Weren't we chasing Liam Rose a couple of weeks ago?

15 minutes ago, Embee said:

I think we'll pick up Liam.

Skapetis might not be a bad option for the bench considering Fitzy and Kamau will likely be gone

Agree. I also dont think Powell is a bad option if he's prepared to take min wage, purely as a striking back up for Bruno in the event he's injured for a week/suspended etc

1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

If Muscat, fitzy and kamooo aren’t around we will be in the hunt for squadies/bench players in the wings and RB position 

It's going to be interesting to see who we release in due course.

My tips are Muscat, Tongyik, Bozanic, Fitzgerald and Kamau. Mauk and Brattan will come to the end of their loans to us - future uncertain.

IMO we might also see one or more of Galekovic, Metcalfe, Budzinski and La Rocca on the list.

I really hope we keep Jakobsen for at least one more season.

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's going to be interesting to see who we release in due course.

My tips are Muscat, Tongyik, Bozanic, Fitzgerald and Kamau. Mauk and Brattan will come to the end of their loans to us - future uncertain.

IMO we might also see one or more of Galekovic, Metcalfe, Budzinski and La Rocca on the list.

I really hope we keep Jakobsen for at least one more season.

IMO we'll get rid of Tongyik and Kamau, offer a similar contract to Fitzy (which is up to him if he takes it) and retain Mauk and Brattan. I think Bud will likely go, but its possible (unlikely) he is retained under the cap. La Rocca will be dependent on whether its a relationship scenario, or he really has been injured the whole time, whilst i think Muscat and Galekovic are maybe touch and go types. Bozanic might be retained for the right price, although is arguable surplus to requirements with a visa 6. I'm reasonably confident we'll take Liam Rose, and if Fitzy goes we may take one of Powell or Skapetis.

IMO we will likely sign Gulum, which means Jako is probably gone, meaning we have a visa marquee spot and visa spot available. IMO our marquee needs to be a winger from Asia and the other visa an 8 or 10. Not overly fussed with the second visa. Three marquee quality visas in Bruno, Bart and *asian marquee winger* should keep us in really good stead with current squad, with the other two visas complimentary to the squad.

2017-18 SQUAD TO DATE: 13th February 2018

Number           Name                           Contract until
Goalkeepers.
1                      Dean Bouzanis               31/5/20.
42                    James Delianov (S)       31/5/19.             Club web-site 30th March 2017.
18                    Eugene Galekovic          31/5/19.             Club web-site 16th June 2017.

Defenders.
6                       Osama Malik                  31/5/18.
2                       Manny Muscat               31/5/18.
22                     Michael Jakobsen (V)   31/5/18.
36                     Dylan Pieiras (S)             31/5/19.            Club web-site 30th March 2017.
3                       Scott Jamieson              31/5/21.            Club web-site 3rd July 2017.
25                     Iacopo La Rocca            31/5/19.            Club web-site 15th July 2017.
34                     Connor Metcalfe (S)       31/5/18.           Club web-site 18th July 2017.
5                       Bart Schenkeveld (V)     31/5/19.            Club web-site 21st August 2017.
4                       Harrison Delbridge          31/5/20.           Club web-site 28th November 2017.
--                       Christian Cavallo             31/5/18             Club web-site 13th February 2018.
Midfielders.
14                     Daniel Arzani                   31/5/18.

15                     Denis Genreau (S)           31/5/20.            Club web-site 30th March 2017.
35                     Ramy Najjarine (S)          31/5/20.            Club web-site 18th July 2017.
13                     Stefan Mauk (L)               31/5/18.            Club web-site 26th July 2017.
26                     Luke Brattan (L)               31/5/18.            Club web-site 1st August 2017.
--                       Oliver Bozanic                   31/5/18             Club web-site 10th February 2018.

Forwards.
23                     Bruno Fornaroli (M,V)      31/5/19.
7                       Nick Fitzgerald                 31/5/18.
27                     Marcin Budzinski (M,V)   31/5/19.            Club web-site 18th September 2017.
10                     Dario Vidosic                     31/5/19.            Club web-site 29th December 2017.
37                     Nathaniel Atkinson           31/5/20.            Club web-site 12th January 2018. 
--                       Moudi Najjar  (S)               31/5/19.            Club web-site 13th February 2018.

2018/19 Team

Bouzanis

Atkinson       Schenkeveld         Gulum     Jamieson

Malik/Visa           Brattan

Vidosic

Arzani                           Fornaroli                    Marquee Winger

SUBS : Galekovic Visa CAM Mauk Malik/Visa Fitzy/Winger Delbridge

Genreau, Najarine Cavallo Metcalfe Pierias Muscat Delianov Najjar Rose

TLDR : our squad is in very, very good shape for next season

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic