Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Dont know why they annouce this stuff when the season is still on.

But good on Tongyik for leaving, I believe he can become a top level HAL player. While Kamau on the other hand has already had his chances to show his worth

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, haz said:

Dont know why they annouce this stuff when the season is still on.

But good on Tongyik for leaving, I believe he can become a top level HAL player. While Kamau on the other hand has already had his chances to show his worth

I agree. Tongyik is no loss to us because we have a manager that wouldn't even give him a minute on the pitch and has delayed his development by a whole season. Good on him for leaving and I hope he fulfils his potential. Kamau, I'm less concerned about losing apart from the fact that he's unlikely to be used by Wazza now that he's leaving so we'll have even less attacking options

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

So much for being youth oriented. 

We've got plenty of young players coming through our own youth system.

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I agree. Tongyik is no loss to us because we have a manager that wouldn't even give him a minute on the pitch and has delayed his development by a whole season. Good on him for leaving and I hope he fulfils his potential. Kamau, I'm less concerned about losing apart from the fact that he's unlikely to be used by Wazza now that he's leaving so we'll have even less attacking options

I don't see either of them as a big loss. Tongyik more so,  but when he has played we've leaked goals. Kamau - I can't see he's done much for us at all. Grossly over-rated IMO.

Good luck to them both though, and I hope it turns out well for them.

As for us - well, someone please tell me what the fuck Warren Joyce is supposed to be doing for us. All I can see is player departure after player departure.

Do any of our Petrillo-inspired ex-Adelaide recruits survive with us?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We've got plenty of young players coming through our own youth system.

I don't see either of them as a big loss. Tongyik more so,  but when he has played we've leaked goals. Kamau - I can't see he's done much for us at all. Grossly over-rated IMO.

Good luck to them both though, and I hope it turns out well for them.

As for us - well, someone please tell me what the fuck Warren Joyce is supposed to be doing for us. All I can see is player departure after player departure.

Do any of our Petrillo-inspired ex-Adelaide recruits survive with us?

It should be recalled that Kamau was a player Joyce highly rated--even before arriving in Melbourne. Indeed, Joyce said:

“I thought that even before I came to the country, watching him play for Adelaide - I thought was an outstanding player, to be fair.

“Certainly, if you’re watching Aaron Mooy ... and looking at players who you think could play in English football, he’s certainly one that could play in the English championship, easily.

“The demands on him are to improve certain things about his game and goalscoring is one of the aspects.”

So around half or two thirds of the way into his first season, Joyce is shipping out players he (seemingly) rated as some of his best, in Kamau.

Joyce's track-record of signings players since the season started is:

- 28 November 2017, Harrison Delbridge, three year contract (31/5/2020)

- 29 December 2017, Dario Vidosic, one year and a half contract ["with the option for a further season"]  (31/5/2019)

- 10 February 2018, Oliver Bozanic, 6 months (31/5/2018)

Vidosic is definitely a tick, a big tick IMO. However, the other signings indicate a far weaker performance with recruitment. So, not only is Melbourne City seemingly losing players at rapid speed, but I'm weary that our replacements are effectively weaker than our outgoing players. 

The club has to sort out it's player list management pronto, and show why fans should view the management of the player list favourably.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

It should be recalled that Kamau was a player Joyce highly rated--even before arriving in Melbourne. Indeed, Joyce said:

So around half or two thirds of the way into his first season, Joyce is shipping out players he (seemingly) rated as some of his best, in Kamau.

- 29 December 2017, Dario Vidosic, one year and a half contract ["with the option for a further season"]  (31/5/2019)

Vidosic is definitely a tick, a big tick IMO. However, the other signings indicate a far weaker performance with recruitment. So, not only is Melbourne City seemingly losing players at rapid speed, but I'm weary that our replacements are effectively weaker than our outgoing players. 

The club has to sort out it's player list management pronto, and show why fans should view the management of the player list favourably.

I really don't know what has happened with Kamau, as he looked good at Adelaide and when he first came to us. He has the pace, height and skill to succeed at a very high level. It will be interesting to see how he goes under Gombau.

I would have thought serious questions must be asked about Petrillo. He brings in these ex Adelaide players who don't seem to be able to improve our team. I just want to see him and Joyce gone. 

1 minute ago, Herman Cain said:

Delbridge has a 3 year contract?  Lol why would we ever offer that to such an unproven player?

My guess is that there was a bit of a race to sign him from all the Australian clubs. Regardless, its possible that Manchester just buys him out and either on loans or on sells him to get him off our books.

But Murfs basic premise remains. We have moved out decent even high quality players (imo) for as it seems lesser players. Probably the only upgrade would be Vidosic. 

Now I could accept that if the new players and or the existing players were now able to play more to what the coach requires and are more type players but I can't tell what sort of a player is a Joyce type. I got no real idea of what a Joyce team should look like. Since the first few rounds we have continually changed personal and structure and we seem to be devoid of any clear way we are trying to play. 

I have grave fears that we will be left with a weaker team at the end of this season than we had at the beginning. And the damage could take several transfer windows to repair. And the most gauling part it's all self inflicted. We haven't been hit with injuries, we haven't lost our best players moving to bigger clubs/Leagues and we haven't had to move players because of fiscal needs. It all seems to be because of they don't fit in the plans of a manager that atleast as of today has no clear plan or no ability to produce such a plan.

And where the fuck is our fifth visa player,  who signed off releasing Brandan and not getting anyone to replace. Just stupid. Even now surely we could at minimum get out of contract player for the rest of the season. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

The full list of movements since the end of 2016/17 is as follows:

Outs from 2016/17: Sorensen, Franjic, Rose, Retre, Caceres, Colazo, Kuzmanovski, Gameiro.
Ins for and during 2017/18: Galekovic, Jamieson, La Rocca, Mauk, Schenkeveld, Carrusca, Crowley (from S), Budzinski, Delbridge, Vidosic, Bozanic, Najjar(S), McCormack(IR).
Outs during 2017/18: Cahill, Brandan, Roberts(S), Carrusca, Kilkenny, Crowley, McCormack (IR).
Extensions during 2017/18: Atkinson.

Outs at end of 2017/18: Kamau, Tongyik.

Coaching outs during 2017/18: Montemurro, Valkanis.
Coaching ins during 2017/18: Vidmar.

To me that is indicative of an unstable situation within the Football Department.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The full list of movements since the end of 2016/17 is as follows:

Outs from 2016/17: Sorensen, Franjic, Rose, Retre, Caceres, Colazo, Kuzmanovski, Gameiro.
Ins for and during 2017/18: Galekovic, Jamieson, La Rocca, Mauk, Schenkeveld, Carrusca, Crowley (from S), Budzinski, Delbridge, Vidosic, Bozanic, Najjar(S), McCormack(IR).
Outs during 2017/18: Cahill, Brandan, Roberts(S), Carrusca, Kilkenny, Crowley, McCormack (IR).
Extensions during 2017/18: Atkinson.

Outs at end of 2017/18: Kamau, Tongyik.

Coaching outs during 2017/18: Montemurro, Valkanis.
Coaching ins during 2017/18: Vidmar.

To me that is indicative of an unstable situation within the Football Department.

Probably.

But it could also be indicative of someone with a spine (something we've severely lacked in our first 7 seasons) sorting the wheat from the chaff. Only time will tell.

• Like 2

Gulum is Aussy. 

He wouldn't count for the +1

Aha, I understand now, to offload one of our foreigners, wouldn't it be more likely to be another CB who is on the outer? 

Edited by moops
Brain is tired, caught up eventually

Yeh you're allowed 3+1 in the ACL. Our move to 4+1 would still require one visa player to miss out, but ensures you have a regular season incentive to get the Asian player as well as the Champions League.

It's a good move imo. Now let's scrap the cap and make sure we are competitive with our Asian picks, as its a market thats pretty overpriced atm.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yeh you're allowed 3+1 in the ACL. Our move to 4+1 would still require one visa player to miss out, but ensures you have a regular season incentive to get the Asian player as well as the Champions League.

It's a good move imo. Now let's scrap the cap and make sure we are competitive with our Asian picks, as its a market thats pretty overpriced atm.

I dont think that they will scrap the entire cap right away in one go, so id propose to them to stage it etc etc to try and get something

• jw1739 pinned this topic