Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 hours ago, Forever City said:

“I wouldn’t have thought he’d be arriving for a medical” – Warren Joyce hoses down signing rumors

By
Joey Lynch

Melbourne City Head Coach Warren Joyce responded to reports that his side is looking to add attacker Omar Eddahri on Friday, playing down rumours that the 27-year-old Swede’s arrival at City was imminent. Speaking at City’s Bundoora headquarters before his side’s AAMI Park meeting with league leaders Sydney FC on Saturday night, Joyce responded to reports from Swedish newspaper Expressen that Eddahri would soon be pulling on a City shirt. “We’ve looked at a number of people that are out of contract,” Joyce said. “Obviously, the window’s shut, so you’re looking at who’s available and not contracted to clubs. “There’s not that many that fit the bill really.” Asked point blank if Eddahri’s arrival was imminent, Joyce was quick with a denial. “No, no,” he responded flatly. “I wouldn’t have thought so, no. “We’ve looked, there’s been some dialogue with him, but I wouldn’t have thought he’d be arriving for a medical.”

Joyce however did indicate that in the right circumstances his club would not be opposed to bringing some backup into a squad that sits third on the A-League table heading into Saturday night. “You’ve always got to keep looking around, who’s available really,” he said “See whether they could fit and add any value between now and the end of the season.“Obviously, every club looks to do that, but they’ve got to be someone that can play a part and contribute to the players that have worked their socks off all season. “It’s not like we’re looking for someone to replace Bruno (Fornaroli) or Ross (McCormack). “It’s more the fact that Connor Metcalfe and Ramy (Najjarine) have injuries that could see them out for a while. “You might see them as just kids, but we were looking at first team backup players so to lose them with injuries is a bit of a blow.”

http://dailyfootballshow.com/i-wouldnt-have-thought-hed-be-arriving-for-a-medical-warren-joyce-hoses-down-signing-rumors/

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, haz said:

With what cap space?

Out of interest, what happened with all the cap space after Cahill, Brandan, Ross and Kilkenny etc left? Did we use everything on Vidosic and Delbridge?

I recall us making room to keep Ross on board with the money from Brandan and Cahill, rumored to be even be after Vidosic signed.

16 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Out of interest, what happened with all the cap space after Cahill, Brandan, Ross and Kilkenny etc left? Did we use everything on Vidosic and Delbridge?

I recall us making room to keep Ross on board with the money from Brandan and Cahill, rumored to be even be after Vidosic signed.

Add Bozanic too, I dont think there would be heaps.

Unless Spiranovic is desperate for game time and take a cut

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

I reckon we should get him with the view of Jackobsen not being here next season.

we have plenty of cap space left.

Agree, I think Jako will go next season, especially if the 4+1 rule is coming in.

Getting Spiranovic in his place would be excellent business.

• Like 3

I don't have a specific opinion on Spiranovic because I don't know much about him.

Hopefully though, if we are interested, we're putting the necessary thought into these recent signings and not just making them because someone happens to be available. There needs to be some planning behind what we do, not just ad hoc decisions. I'm sure I'm not alone, but I'm not over-impressed by the decisions taken with Brandan and Kilkenny, and I would have thought a good man manager should have been able to make something work with both of them until their contracts expired at the end of this season. If we don't put the necessary planning in place then we could end up in exactly the same situation again next season.

I just hope that at some stage before I die that we will have an off-season when we will recruit a balanced squad that is to the manager's liking and matches his intentions of the way we wish to train and play in the following season, including five visa players, and two marquees who are demonstrably of marquee quality, that the squad assembles early and we play 10-12 pre-season matches when we fine tune our play and iron out difficulties. So that we don't find it necessary to release 6-7 players half-way through the season and make opportunistic signings to replace them.

Lot's of other specific wishes, but the above would be a good start.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, neio said:

Would 100% take, when fit and playing well, he is the number 1 central defender in the country. Why he has been playing division 2 Chinese football is staggering 

Not so sure, he's had a lot of injuries and missed a lot of football the past few seasons. If he did get fit he'd just start looking for an another overseas deal. Of course, Wazza doesn't like him so he's gonna go but I'd be more interested in developing and playing Tongyik, who has similar potential and who could get the franchise a transfer fee. I'd take Spira in his prime but that boat has sailed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neio said:

Would 100% take, when fit and playing well, he is the number 1 central defender in the country. Why he has been playing division 2 Chinese football is staggering 

plays for money, 2m US a season in china, career constantly declined once he left Germany, not even close to the player Sainsbury is
injury prone and really isn't all that, remember Kuwait in the asian cup making him look extremely average 

Edited by Thrillhouse

18 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Jamie Young off contract, would anyone here not want him?

I would if we were paying Dean's wage + up to 20%. IMO Dean is not on a lot, hence the three year deal, maybe 100k absolute max, but more likely 70-80k. Young is the most in-form keeper in the league atm, but imo there's not that much between the top5 at the minute. He's certainly not of Vukovic's quality last season.

Besides its a bit of an age old situation that the most in form keepers are in shit sides, due to the amount of practice theyre getting.

I guess i dont see the upgrade on Dean as significant enough to justify much more than 120k a year deal, which imo he wouldnt come for.

Edited by bt50

3 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Young cant distribute, which is the only reason Deano is keeping Eugene on the pine in my opinion. I don't think we will look at Young.

Dean's performances with the gloves against Brisbane, Newcastle and Adelaide probably have something to do with it as well....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, neio said:

No point, bouzanis is doing perfectly fine. And galekovic is also contracted for next season 

Wow. I reckon for every two saves he makes he looks like a traffic cone for the next goal we concede.

My records confirm that Galekovic is indeed contracted for next season, and Bouzanis for the next two. The young lad Delianov is contracted as a Scholarship player for next season also.

Galekovic is 36. Can't see him going beyond next season.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Wow. I reckon for every two saves he makes he looks like a traffic cone for the next goal we concede.

My records confirm that Galekovic is indeed contracted for next season, and Bouzanis for the next two. The young lad Delianov is contracted as a Scholarship player for next season also.

Depending on how much $$ Eugene is on I see it as a waste having two 7/10 keepers 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He's not amazing, but he's not bad either. Other than the derby penalty, I think its quite difficult to locate another goal he's conceded this season that is predominantly his fault. There's a couple of efforts you maybe wonder whether he could have done better (pen v Sydney, Mierziewski v Sydney) but those ones i'd argue weren't his fault for the most part, and if he was keeping those out on top of the ones he already is, he wouldnt be playing in the A League.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic