Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Bozanic was a good player, didnt do well at VIctory cause I think he was being played out of position. 

Dont know how he would fit into a 3-5-2 if we do go with a back 3. 

for me our best team if he does sign will be a 4-3-3

Its just a matter of if he goes with a midfield 3 which includes Vidosic as an attacking midfielder, or if he gives Dario the left wing spot and plays with Brattan, Bozanic/Mauk and Malik

I also think we need another striker if Bruno isnt close to being back, move on Bud, sign Ross as marquee and then sign a young aussie striker like Kwame Yeboah on loan or even bring back Gol Gol. 

People have been calling for Crowley to be given a chance, but is he any decent? 

For every player like Tim Cahill, Fernando Brandan and Marcelo Carrusca that the club or Joyce decides to release, expectations are raised to expect equal or better players to replace them.

I’ll reserve my judgments until the end of the month about whether these squad changes are good or not. However, at the moment, I believe we need a significant injection of talent to make up for the players that we have lost.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

For every player like Tim Cahill, Fernando Brandan and Marcelo Carrusca that the club or Joyce decides to release, expectations are raised to expect equal or better players to replace them.

I’ll reserve my judgments until the end of the month about whether these squad changes are good or not. However, at the moment, I believe we need a significant injection of talent to make up for the players that we have lost.

I'm leaning in the opposite direction Murf.

Cahill made some very public comments that in effect criticised the club that signed him for two years for total remuneration somewhere in the range $3-5m, and the opportunity to go into coaching in a third year - he had to learn the hard way that you don't do that sort of thing to City Football Group. Brandan was unlikely to play before his contract expired in May 2018. Carrusca is 34 and signed for one season and could barely get on the pitch. I don't see any of these three as major losses. I'm more than happy to see players such as Delbridge, Arzani, Atkinson, Najjarine, Metcalfe etc. coming into the match-day squad, and IMO we have gained by the changes made so far.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm leaning in the opposite direction Murf.

Cahill made some very public comments that in effect criticised the club that signed him for two years for total remuneration somewhere in the range $3-5m, and the opportunity to go into coaching in a third year - he had to learn the hard way that you don't do that sort of thing to City Football Group. Brandan was unlikely to play before his contract expired in May 2018. Carrusca is 34 and signed for one season and could barely get on the pitch. I don't see any of these three as major losses. I'm more than happy to see players such as Delbridge, Arzani, Atkinson, Najjarine, Metcalfe etc. coming into the match-day squad, and IMO we have gained by the changes made so far.

Was it ever definitely stated that Brandan was injured for the remainder of the season (in either a club statement or a media report)? I myself have only seen speculation that he had a long term injury, and therefore was not getting selected in extended squads.

Carrusca seemingly had an injury until the Wellington game. So it seems that his lack of selection stemmed from injury, not performance. Anyway, I guess we’ll see how good Carrusca is now when he plays for WSW for the remainder of the season.

By the way, a common denominator with both Brandan is and Carrusca is a serious lack of information about their injuries and their level of “fitness”. I know the club doesn’t like to announce strict date about when players will return from injuries, but ATM I think the club have swung too far in the opposite direction and are unusefully vague and unclear about MCFC players’ injuries, and if they are physically capable of playing or not.

The main thing with Cahill, Brandan and now Carrusca is that our club’s squad is now reduced by 3 players. So I would expect at least 3 players to join the team (so far only Delridge and Vidosic have, the youth players like Arzani were already apart of the team). For what it’s worth I’m leaning towards being positive overall about the changes, however I still think we are at least 1 player away (and ideally a good player) from balancing our “outs” with our “ins” this January transfer window.

@Murfy1 With Carrusca's departure we are now back to the bare minimum of 20 players in the A-League squad.

I agree with you on the non-disclosure of the injury status of City players. I don't understand what purpose is served by not being more transparent. Are other clubs more informative about such things?

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Murfy1 With Carrusca's departure we are now back to the bare minimum of 20 players in the A-League squad.

I agree with you on the non-disclosure of the injury status of City players. I don't understand what purpose is served by not being more transparent. Are other clubs more informative about such things?

Some clubs are more informative, and some clubs are seemingly the same as City. WSW say the predicted injury length: Álvaro CEJUDO (calf – 1 week)Jaushua SOTIRIO (injured – 1 week) . Sydney FC says Rhyan GRANT (knee – indefinite) , however Grant is there only injury and he has an ACL. Melbourne Victory's amount of disclosure is the same as Melbourne City's.

Normally, it can be argued that it's not really an issue. However, I'd say that with multiple players leaving MCFC mid-season this season--Cahill, Brandan, Carrusca--then the issue is compounded, because it's not clear which players have reasonably been moved on (after not performing well enough for many weeks), and which players were moved on despite being injured for most or all of the time up until their release (hence they weren't really given a chance).

Edited by Murfy1

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

3 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Some clubs are more informative, and some clubs are seemingly the same as City. WSW say the predicted injury length: Álvaro CEJUDO (calf – 1 week)Jaushua SOTIRIO (injured – 1 week) . Sydney FC says Rhyan GRANT (knee – indefinite) , however Grant is there only injury and he has an ACL. Melbourne Victory's amount of disclosure is the same as Melbourne City's.

Normally, it can be argued that it's not really an issue. However, I'd say that with multiple players leaving MCFC mid-season this season--Cahill, Brandan, Carrusca--then the issue is compounded, because it's not clear which players have reasonably been moved on (after not performing well enough for many weeks), and which players were moved on despite being injured for most or all of the time up until their release (hence they weren't really given a chance).

Question. Over in Europe are fans strongly connected with the players or with the club? As an AFL fan, growing up we saw young players come into the club, develop and eventually retire. Effectively the "one club man" - although that is disappearing these days, the number of players that are one club players is quite high. Hence, this is the reason, I believe,  why we study the injury list closely and we get annoyed when players are shown the door so quickly. In effect, the clubs don't show player loyalty (and vice versa) so it is harder for fans to remain glued to the club. If in Europe, fans are used to players coming and going then the loyalty lies with the club rather than the players. Which would be a cultural shift for Australian fans.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Question. Over in Europe are fans strongly connected with the players or with the club? As an AFL fan, growing up we saw young players come into the club, develop and eventually retire. Effectively the "one club man" - although that is disappearing these days, the number of players that are one club players is quite high. Hence, this is the reason, I believe,  why we study the injury list closely and we get annoyed when players are shown the door so quickly. In effect, the clubs don't show player loyalty (and vice versa) so it is harder for fans to remain glued to the club. If in Europe, fans are used to players coming and going then the loyalty lies with the club rather than the players. Which would be a cultural shift for Australian fans.

I can only offer observations re the English leagues, but one club players are rare, and loyalty is to the club. There are players who because they do stay around and/or perform well and/or are real characters that do become heroes for fans, even when they do depart or retire, but most are seen as temporary fixtures who come and go. One of the real positives for me supporting a League 1 club was seeing young players come through and then go on to play at a higher level. You tend to follow their careers thereafter, so I'll always have interest in players like Scott Dann or Troy Deeney who now play in the EFL but started their careers with my home town club.

57 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Probably more specific to what we need, but he'd take a visa spot yeh?

Which would indicate either budzinski is being released, or ross isnt staying.

Interesting times.

I'd be pretty certain we're going to see more movement on the roster before the month is out, and as part of that I'd be pretty confident we'll be trying to get some quality incoming. Wazza may not be perfect but neither is he a fool or an ingenue. [sorry BT if this reads like a dig at you, it isn't, though there are others it could be a dig at!!]

Edited by fensaddler
Clarifying I wasn't having a go at BT!
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I can only offer observations re the English leagues, but one club players are rare, and loyalty is to the club. There are players who because they do stay around and/or perform well and/or are real characters that do become heroes for fans, even when they do depart or retire, but most are seen as temporary fixtures who come and go. One of the real positives for me supporting a League 1 club was seeing young players come through and then go on to play at a higher level. You tend to follow their careers thereafter, so I'll always have interest in players like Scott Dann or Troy Deeney who now play in the EFL but started their careers with my home town club.

I'd be pretty certain we're going to see more movement on the roster before the month is out, and as part of that I'd be pretty confident we'll be trying to get some quality incoming. Wazza may not be perfect but neither is he a fool or an ingenue.

Oh i dont disagree but as it stands we only have one visa spot availble, which will go to ross if he stays. I strongly doubt bart, bruno or jako go so it would have to be Bud, which also makes the most sense.

In saying that i could be wrong and ferriera has an aus passport?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

IMO a major issue with players staying with an A-League club for a number of seasons or indeed an entire playing career is that the salary cap works against that being possible.

Admittedly much non-unionised employment (generally) these days is on a contract basis, but when it was  more on a "permanent" basis it was reasonable for a good performer to look forward to the annual salary review and the increase that that was likely to bring.

With the salary cap, a player in most cases needs to change clubs to obtain a significant increase in remuneration.

The "Loyalty Allowance" (the "Archie Thompson Rule") introduced last season is a mere $200,000 per club and a player needs to have stayed with a club for 5 seasons before it kicks in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

The "Loyalty Allowance" (the "Archie Thompson Rule") introduced last season is a mere $200,000 per club and a player needs to have stayed with a club for 5 seasons before it kicks in.

I have always wondered why the 'Loyalty Allowance' couldn't see a more immediate application. Something like an exponential increase, so that players have:

• 5% of their salary outside their cap in their second year
  • 10% in their third year
  • 20% in their fourth year, and so forth.

With the money we're talking about in the A-League, this money is not likely to be monstrous.

Given the small wage pool we are working with, once a player has established themselves in the A-League they're likely fielding offers from rivals for fractionally higher wages which can be hard to refuse when their current club cannot match due to cap constraints.

In conjunction with the 'no transfer fees' rule, there is no reward for a player's current team for either developing or recruiting players into the league.

Edited by Blackout
  • Like 2

Here's a report from early November about Fabio (when Sydney FC tried to sign him for their ACL campaign):

While Ferreira spent five years in the A-League and may be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship, he does not yet have an Australian passport.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-champions-sydney-fc-looking-to-sign-portuguese-winger-fabio-ferreira-20171104-gzezwq.html

8 minutes ago, Simo said:

We have to sign patito Rodriguez for next year what a player will destroy it for us 

Not Anglo enough for Waz. But we cant sign him as marquee if he did.... because he would get injured for 6 months or just become utter shit

15 hours ago, Forever City said:

Ah yes. Ray Gatt the clueless twat. The guy that said there was problems and turmoil at Melbourne just 2 weeks back and then immediately had to use a shovel to clean up the bullshit he was spewing. I'll believe it from a reputable source when I see it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • jw1739 pinned this topic