Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

Compared to the men's team, the women's team is commercially irrelevant. 

If Kisnorbo is the the best man for the assistant position, so be it, the women will have to survive without him.

And no one really gives a fuck about the womens league/ NYL anyway. The mens team is where all the money and interest is.

Our womens team is always stacked as it is, i honestly think even JA could coach them to a premiership.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Our womens team is always stacked as it is, i honestly think even JA could coach them to a premiership.

I mean, you say that, and granted I haven't been able to see any of the games thus far to be able to physically observe how the team is performing, but they've hardly been going great guns under Paddy so far. Their record after 4 games is only W2 L2, scored 9 conceded 9 and sitting dead centre of the table in 5th. They're only 3 points (and 5 GD) off the top of the table, sure, but it's not exactly the barnstorming form of their first season.

2 minutes ago, Falastur said:

I mean, you say that, and granted I haven't been able to see any of the games thus far to be able to physically observe how the team is performing, but they've hardly been going great guns under Paddy so far. Their record after 4 games is only W2 L2, scored 9 conceded 9 and sitting dead centre of the table in 5th. They're only 3 points (and 5 GD) off the top of the table, sure, but it's not exactly the barnstorming form of their first season.

I don't think that we should take much notice of the success or otherwise of the ladies team in terms of how good their coach might or might not be. Granted it's good to see them win, and to have the privilege of seeing players such as Fishlock, Little, Beattie and De Vanna winning something in City colours, but let's face it, the players are not much more than mercenaries parachuted into the club for a few weeks between commitments to overseas clubs.

Assessing coaches in the men's competition is hard enough, where one season is the equivalent of about half a season in League 2 or lower tier competitions in England. The task is doubled again for the W-League. Montemurro seemed to have a good first season, but there were rumours last season that the team wasn't functioning well until Kisnorbo took over. Also it needs to be remembered that no-one cared a fig for the W-League until City came in and threw some resources at it; now everyone is playing catch-up and it's harder for us to dominate.

7 minutes ago, Forever City said:

Can't play till Jan

Screenshot_20171128-102533.png

IMO we're soon going to see a couple of the existing squad making an exit to make a bit of cap room.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Don't all there contracts expire at the end of the season anyway?

Yes.

Players whose contracts/loans/playing contracts finish on 31st May 2018 are: Malik, Muscat, Tongyik, Jakobsen, Metcalfe, Arzani, Brandan, Kilkenny, Mauk (L), Brattan (L), Carrusca, Fitzgerald, Kamau, Cahill(PC), Crowley.

Nothing surprising in rumours surrounding any of those listed. What you have to ask is who is on that list who has done enough to warrant an extension?

Surprised if Jakobsen is true. But I can believe both Brattan and Kilkenny given their game time.....

But more importantly im worried about Wazza's love of Malik

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Nothing surprising in rumours surrounding any of those listed. What you have to ask is who is on that list who has done enough to warrant an extension?

Kilkenny, Jakobsen, Metcalfe, Arzani, Brandan, Carrusca (How much is he on?), Fitzgerald, Kamau (Depends how much he is on)

Edited by haz

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes.

Players whose contracts/loans/playing contracts finish on 31st May 2018 are: Malik, Muscat, Tongyik, Jakobsen, Metcalfe, Arzani, Brandan, Kilkenny, Mauk (L), Brattan (L), Carrusca, Fitzgerald, Kamau, Cahill(PC), Crowley.

Well in that case the original story is insignificant.

I am sure Wazza will know exactly who he wants by April and until then there is nothing to discuss really.

As with Fernando, well he will have his opportunity to impress and I hope he shows his value to Wazza.

50 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Jako might just want to head back home rather then getting kicked out

He's not going to be "kicked out" if he reaches the end of his contract and the club decides not to renew it. One of the problems of having both a numbers and a salary cap is that clubs simply cannot carry players on their books whom they do not consider are really pushing for a starting position. Jakobsen would be well aware of that. It's one of the downsides of coming to the A-League, and one of the reasons why our league does not grow as it should.

5 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Soccer Stoppage Time reporting that Joyce has been given instructions to get rid of anyone he deems not to be appropriate for his team.They expect at least 3 players to be moved on. Kilkenny is apparently trying to secure a move to Asia, Brattan's loan won't be renewed and Jakobsen won't be here next season.

Well.....

While Marwood's six-day visit was initially meant to be routine in nature, it coincided in snuffing out spot fires whipped up by a disaffected Tim Cahill over his lack of game time under Joyce.

Ditto midfielder Neil Kilkenny, out-of-favour goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis and, to a lesser degree, midfielder Luke Brattan. 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/11/29/joyce-winner-citys-player-power-drama

22 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Ditto midfielder Neil Kilkenny, out-of-favour goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis and, to a lesser degree, midfielder Luke Brattan. 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/11/29/joyce-winner-citys-player-power-drama

What the fuck does Bouzanis have a problem with? Does he think the team needs more balls to be kicked straight out from goal kicks or something?

• Like 1

Whatever the real truth is that lies behind these reports, IMO it's all very sad that it has happened. The club has been destabilised from inside, just when we thought - or hoped - that finally we could start to build a better club culture and give a better showing in the league this season.

No-one benefits from this sort of stuff.

• Like 1

Happy this has happened/is happening, but IMHO provides more questions than it does answers.

so who is running this particular club? Would anything have been done if Marwood wasnt here (by chance)?

Rumours/obviously now facts of this have been around for months before the season started - why was it allowed to fester? Why are we in this position right now, the last day of November?

What exactly does our CEO do? What should his job be? So CFG give him carte blanche to run it, or is he a puppet? How can the club have gone absolutely nowhere in 10 years, no profile or crowd improvements at all yet the same CEO is there who oversaw a total of 3 coaches in 10 years of misery still have this bloke in charge? It beggars belief.

My feel is that CFG have tried to run it 'perfectly' with their own ideals across the group - but Pep in Manchester is showing that you need to give full faith to your coach and give him the support he needs. Patience is fine, but not for the sake of patience. You either back in your man or you dont. One cant be half pregnant.

Hopefully this is all for the best.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Whatever the real truth is that lies behind these reports, IMO it's all very sad that it has happened. The club has been destabilised from inside, just when we thought - or hoped - that finally we could start to build a better club culture and give a better showing in the league this season.

No-one benefits from this sort of stuff.

I actually disagree. This sort of stuff can be the step back needed to take two steps forward when done properly.
If not done properly however :lowy:

4 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

Happy this has happened/is happening, but IMHO provides more questions than it does answers.

so who is running this particular club? Would anything have been done if Marwood wasnt here (by chance)?

Rumours/obviously now facts of this have been around for months before the season started - why was it allowed to fester? Why are we in this position right now, the last day of November?

What exactly does our CEO do? What should his job be? So CFG give him carte blanche to run it, or is he a puppet? How can the club have gone absolutely nowhere in 10 years, no profile or crowd improvements at all yet the same CEO is there who oversaw a total of 3 coaches in 10 years of misery still have this bloke in charge? It beggars belief.

My feel is that CFG have tried to run it 'perfectly' with their own ideals across the group - but Pep in Manchester is showing that you need to give full faith to your coach and give him the support he needs. Patience is fine, but not for the sake of patience. You either back in your man or you dont. One cant be half pregnant.

Hopefully this is all for the best.

Tbh i think you are misunderstanding the role of the CEO. It certainly appears in CFG run clubs that the CEO has little to do with the actual football department outside of budgetary constraints and ensuring resources are provided.

Regardless, I've no doubt CFG are watching Munn closely an ultimately, if they deem him the right guy for the task, then I'm happy enough with that. Likewise, if they move him on then there's no accusation of him not being given every chance.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I actually disagree. This sort of stuff can be the step back needed to take two steps forward when done properly.
If not done properly however :lowy:

I would agree with you had the four players named as mutineers left the club along with Valkanis. However they are still there, at least until the next window. I'm afraid I can't see that as being helpful. The swamp has not been drained properly.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I would agree with you had the four players named as mutineers left the club along with Valkanis. However they are still there, at least until the next window. I'm afraid I can't see that as being helpful. The swamp has not been drained properly.

Eh theyre being given a chance, and its not as simple as getting rid of them on the spot as you know with the salary cap etc. I'm sure if they regress theyll be moved on pretty quick in Jan.

• jw1739 pinned this topic