Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

47 minutes ago, Falastur said:

Here's another question: terminating a contract involves buying it out. How does that work with the salary cap?

it doesn't. unless the club convinces the player to forgo the remaining payments owed to them in their contract.

if a contract is paid out, the payout amount counts toward the salary cap.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

it doesn't. unless the club convinces the player to forgo the remaining payments owed to them in their contract.

if a contract is paid out, the payout amount counts toward the salary cap.

Correct.

I'll just say that if you look at our Scholarship players, we could axe some senior names from our squad and still field a decent side. A couple of the names can't justify a starting berth as it is. Let's face it, the names haven't done a lot for us so far, and the football as a spectacle has been shit.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Correct.

I'll just say that if you look at our Scholarship players, we could axe some senior names from our squad and still field a decent side. A couple of the names can't justify a starting berth as it is. Let's face it, the names haven't done a lot for us so far, and the football as a spectacle has been shit.

Honestly would prefer right now to see some of the younger players. We need energy, pace and enthusiasm. We can't do any worse right now.

• Like 1

IIRC a club can only sign a player via free transfer if the player was uncontracted at the close of the previous transfer window.

As such I would think that any player we release now would have to wait one month before "offically" signing for another club (since the transfer window opens for most leagues in January)

So I'm not sure what this mass clean out news is about.

26 minutes ago, HughJass said:

How so? Not like valkanis done any good when he was in charge... 

Because that means Joyce will bring someone he wants in and if he can't organise an XI his judgment is pretty bad. Anywhom I guess we will have to wait and see

Edited by Dylan

1 hour ago, HughJass said:

Had the chance to do a clean out start of the season with new coach etc but nah do it during the season 

So much this. The club is being reactive and chasing it's tail trying to solve a problem half the fan base could foresee. I have a lot of time for the glass half full camp on this forum, but this is not good enough.

Munn you spud. I know you have cronies read this. You've had almost a decade in this job and it's been a shambles the whole time. It doesn't matter how much money, what facilities, or what players, staff and manager. You're the only common denominator that remains. Time to resign.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Valkanis gone.

I'm not surprised. The surprise was that he even continued once he was passed over for the top job.

So both our assistant coaches have gone before the season is one-third gone.

Whatever is happening out there at Bundoora, our record with assistant coaches is appalling.

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Munn you spud. I know you have cronies read this. You've had almost a decade in this job and it's been a shambles the whole time. It doesn't matter how much money, what facilities, or what players, staff and manager. You're the only common denominator that remains. Time to resign.

I only have one problem with this perspective, if Munn or higher admin was the problem then we'd be seeing the effects of the problem across all 3 teams and we aren't. I don't have any particular perspective one way or the other about Munn, but the evidence suggests that the problems are contained to the culture and coaching structures in the mens team.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I only have one problem with this perspective, if Munn or higher admin wee the problem then we'd be seeing the effects of the problem across all 3 teams and we aren't. I don't have any particular perspective one way or the other with Munn, but the evidence suggests that the problems are contained to the culture and coaching structures in the mens team.

I agree with this with just one possible caveat - the shambles of City Voice and now, it appears Cityzens and Cityzens Points. The club has not replied to my question on the latter. However, even in saying this about certain off-field issues, we don't know how much Munn has under his control, and how much is run from Manchester.

Overall I think that it's much more likely that whatever issues there are are in the men's football department only.

Just now, jw1739 said:

I agree with this with just one possible caveat - the shambles of City Voice and now, it appears Cityzens and Cityzens Points. The club has not replied to my question on the latter. However, even in saying this about certain off-field issues, we don't know how much Munn has under his control, and how much is run from Manchester.

Overall I think that it's much more likely that whatever issues there are are in the men's football department only.

Agree.

33 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And if that's the case we've got to keep our heads through the blood-letting that probably still has to happen, and hope that those now in charge know where the problems are, and what to do about them.

Having said that we will miss Brandan if these rumours are true. Worth consoling ourselves that we have the likes of Arzani and Najjarine coming through. And Kisnorbo is highly regarded by club and fans alike.

Edited by fensaddler

2 minutes ago, neio said:

I have no idea who this guy is, but if what he is saying is true, than what was the point of having brandan on our books for past 10 weeks

He's under contract and we have an obligation to assist him to full fitness as part of that. Whatever else CFG might do, there's no evidence to suggest that they will not honour their contractual obligations to the full.

7 minutes ago, Embee said:

7 minutes ago, Embee said:

Don't see the logic behind that move at all, Brandan is a VISA player under the cap and I highly doubt he'd leave without compensation, not to mention the obvious benefits he brings us on the pitch.

Bullshit IMO.

Agree with your impeccable logic MB but it seems that some of the persistent rumours have some legs, and strange things may yet happen.  Perhaps the logic is to be able to move a fit Brandan onto another club, fee payable and contract rescinded. Hence keeping him long enough to get him strong and fit and saleable??

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He's under contract and we have an obligation to assist him to full fitness as part of that. Whatever else CFG might do, there's no evidence to suggest that they will not honour their contractual obligations to the full.

And if he's fit he can be sold or moved on without having to pay out his contract, thus freeing up cap space??

Edited by fensaddler
Posting problems. Still repeating myself but you get the point...

23 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

And if he's fit he can be sold or moved on without having to pay out his contract, thus freeing up cap space??

As I understand it, if it's a mutually-agreed release a player can leave at any time, and then he's a free agent and can be picked up by another club. By definition a free agent has no transfer fee attached to him.

If such a release means that there's cap space, then we could use it on another player.

13 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Great. Sabotage the women’s team again. Although  They haven’t been playing well so it’s probably good to get Kisnorbo out of there and get a better coach in

IF there is any truth to the Kisnorbo thing, which i dont really buy anything that guy says, i 100% agree with you. It's not a great look to be throwing one of your teams to the wolves at the expense of the other. I'd prob caveat that by saying the NYL team or NPL team isnt really the same thing, because they are there primarily to serve the senior mens team. The womens team is not.

• Like 3

It would be complete madness to take Kisnorbo from the womens team halfway through their season.

To disrupt the team 2 seasons running would be insane.

Regardless of your opinion on the women's game, but In general to win 3 championships in a row from a start up team in a pro league could be unprecedented worldwide. 

It makes no sense and I call bullshit on the rumour.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jovan said:

It would be complete madness to take Kisnorbo from the womens team halfway through their season.

Regardless of your opinion on the women's game, but In general to win 3 championships in a row from a start up team in a pro league could be unprecedented worldwide. 

I see Kisnorbo being our next manager, so I will be glad to see him in the assistant position.

Agree to disagree on the women's league though.

42 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'd like to see the women's team separate from the men's coaching structure with their own coach and pathways for women not men. I'm saying that and I couldn't really give a fuck about women's sport. Absolutely no way they should be taking the coach again.

• jw1739 pinned this topic