Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

3 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I agree,  in fact,  we should be talking about a point that hasn't been raised on this forum. such as do we think Manny muscat is suitable as our rb or not. 

no people on here just want to jack off about bullshit marquees and not worry about actual squad issues.  because marquees win trophies......

2 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I agree,  in fact,  we should be talking about a point that hasn't been raised on this forum. such as do we think Manny muscat is suitable as our rb or not. 

if anyone considers him adequate, more importantly if the club does or wazza does, it highlights whats wrong with the club. I dont care if we are focusing wages on other positions, it should be priority to have the best we can get in ever positon, and its clear from this forum and from his performances he isnt.  mediocrity shouldnt be acceptable from a club with such an alleged ambition behind it  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Well i guess he could technically come as an injury replacement for the first half of the season, and then once Bruno is back he signs on as the 14 game guest marquee

I highly doubt it. The rules say something along the lines of a guest player can only play 14 games in a season. It does not specify that these 14 games are only counted whilst designated as a 'guest player'. The correct interpretation of the rule (imo) and the one that I am sure the FFA would use is that all games in the season count towards the total games of a player who is a guest at any time in the season.

1 hour ago, nah brah said:

no people on here just want to jack off about bullshit marquees and not worry about actual squad issues.  because marquees win trophies......

Maybe because nobody agrees with you.

Depending on what Wazza wants out of  his full backs or what his tactical strategies are, then he may be happy with our 8 players on our defensive line.

Muscat hasn't done much wrong under Wazza as far as I have observed and please don't mention his time under JVS or Valkanis because they were both tactically dumb and therefore the team played tactically dumb and as a result all players under-performed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

ACL in April. Best case scenario February/March.

Complete horseshit.

This article suggest that he was expected to miss six months. http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/guiseppe-rossis-sad-soccer-tale-may-be-nearing-its-end/13leofxqvaads1tubm28hxxtm2

But I agree. Complete madness to sign him. And if we do, it'll be just another example of why this club makes it so difficult to be a supporter.

13 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Maybe because nobody agrees with you.

Depending on what Wazza wants out of  his full backs or what his tactical strategies are, then he may be happy with our 8 players on our defensive line.

Muscat hasn't done much wrong under Wazza as far as I have observed and please don't mention his time under JVS or Valkanis because they were both tactically dumb and therefore the team played tactically dumb and as a result all players under-performed.

I don't think you can be surprised that people are questioning our defence and individuals therein. We've conceded 8 goals in 3 matches. That's hardly encouraging, pre-season matches or not, especially against Central Coast, Newcastle and an NPL outfit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

if anyone considers him adequate, more importantly if the club does or wazza does, it highlights whats wrong with the club. I dont care if we are focusing wages on other positions, it should be priority to have the best we can get in ever positon, and its clear from this forum and from his performances he isnt.  mediocrity shouldnt be acceptable from a club with such an alleged ambition behind it  

I agree with you and it would be possible in a League with no salary cap however in our League the recruiting is always going to be a compromise

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

This article suggest that he was expected to miss six months. http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/guiseppe-rossis-sad-soccer-tale-may-be-nearing-its-end/13leofxqvaads1tubm28hxxtm2

But I agree. Complete madness to sign him. And if we do, it'll be just another example of why this club makes it so difficult to be a supporter.

I don't think you can be surprised that people are questioning our defence and individuals therein. We've conceded 8 goals in 3 matches. That's hardly encouraging, pre-season matches or not, especially against Central Coast, Newcastle and an NPL outfit.

So do we single out one player who is the forum whipping boy or do we actually look at it objectively and then realise it was mostly midfield errors that caused the said problems. 

Wazza has a big job re-training the squad and tbh I think it will take more than a pre-season to fix what's broken and achieve what he wants to achieve.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

So do we single out one player who is the forum whipping boy or do we actually look at it objectively and then realise it was mostly midfield errors that caused the said problems. 

Wazza has a big job re-training the squad and tbh I think it will take more than a pre-season to fix what's broken and achieve what he wants to achieve.

I didn't single out any particular player. I referred to the defence as a whole. If you want to be more general - I referred to the way the team as a whole defends, because we still seem to be vulnerable to the quick counter-attack. Semantics IMO.

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I didn't single out any particular player. I referred to the defence as a whole. If you want to be more general - I referred to the way the team as a whole defends, because we still seem to be vulnerable to the quick counter-attack. Semantics IMO.

No I didn't mean you, but some people are.

But I do agree with you and I think that midfield is still feeling the legacy of last season and hopefully it sorts itself out under Wazza's guidance.

This is also where a smart CAM with defensive proficiency would be the key to midfield balance.

18 hours ago, playmaker said:

so dont judge him on his previous shit house performances and just hope he will miraculously play beyond NPL standard this season?  the guy single handedly lost us games last season.  people were freely giving shit to franjic on here and he is 10x the player muscat is.  

12 minutes ago, nah brah said:

so dont judge him on his previous shit house performances and just hope he will miraculously play beyond NPL standard this season?  the guy single handedly lost us games last season.  people were freely giving shit to franjic on here and he is 10x the player muscat is.  

Outside of the Sydney game at home where he got red carded playing at CB, and not a soul here would deny he was bloody awful in that game, please detail to us simple souls which games he cost us last year?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, malloy said:

I highly doubt it. The rules say something along the lines of a guest player can only play 14 games in a season. It does not specify that these 14 games are only counted whilst designated as a 'guest player'. The correct interpretation of the rule (imo) and the one that I am sure the FFA would use is that all games in the season count towards the total games of a player who is a guest at any time in the season.

You might well be right, it would make sense, although I've certainly not seen anything that definitively says that. And knowing that you can usually drive a truck through FFA rule loopholes, I'd wager its possible.

Marcelo Carrusca joins Melbourne City as its latest signing, facing Adelaide United in a friendly in Melbourne on Tuesday afternoon.

Val Migliaccio, Soccer Writer, The Advertiser
September 5, 2017 6:03pm
Subscriber only

MARCELO Carrusca will soon be confirmed as a new Melbourne City signing after the aristocratic playmaker featured against his old club Adelaide United in Melbourne yesterday.

The 34-year-old, who had been a Reds star since 2012, played for about an hour at City’s Football Academy.

But Carrusca was on a losing side as Adelaide beat City 2-1 when a last-second Jordan O’Doherty set piece sealed the win after Reds striker George Blackwood opened the score from the penalty spot.

Former Reds midfielder Stefan Mauk was on the scoresheet for City to level the tie in difficult conditions before O’Doherty’s winner.

Carrusca was listed on City’s Twitter account as a “triallist” against his former teammates in a friendly which had three periods of 40 minutes.

Carrusca impressed new City boss Warren Joyce in his first training 12 days ago after the Reds first tabled the Argentine a modest offer in May.

He passed a mandatory City medical and will now become Adelaide’s fifth starting player from the 2016 grand final win and Premier’s Plate winning squad which includes Eugene Galekovic, Iacopo La Rocca, Mauk and Bruce Kamau, to join City.

But Galekovic didn’t feature against Adelaide. He was on Socceroos FIFA World Cup duty after coach Ange Postecoglou called him up on Sunday to replace injured gloveman Adam Federici before facing Thailand in Melbourne last night.

Adelaide coach Marco Kurz took a 22-man squad to Melbourne to face City. The Reds left Adelaide yesterday morning before flying back last night.

Algerian international Karim Matmour started in a strong XI in his first match in a line-up which may face NPL club Heidelberg United in the FFA Cup quarterfinal in Melbourne on September 13.

Well now that an article like this is out and its Thursday tomorrow... announcement imminent 

Edited by Dylan

Seems another strange signing if we are sticking with the 4-2-3-1 as he does his best work as a #10 as he doesn't have the workrate on the wing. That being said if he can get his body right and the right players around him he could be a huge signing.

Personnel wise we've got a squad that suits the 3-4-2-1 perfectly, with plenty of competition in every position bar striker.  Whether we'd ever play it or could master it is another story.

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

Seems another strange signing if we are sticking with the 4-2-3-1 as he does his best work as a #10 as he doesn't have the workrate on the wing. That being said if he can get his body right and the right players around him he could be a huge signing.

Personnel wise we've got a squad that suits the 3-4-2-1 perfectly, with plenty of competition in every position bar striker.  Whether we'd ever play it or could master it is another story.

I think Carusca would be an Ideal sub. If we have an injury he can slot into the XI but I think we would be good to come on around 60 or 70 minute mark if we change formation to play two CAMs for more creativity. If he is confirmed then I think we have the strongest bench in HAL.

30 days to go and the season starts! Squad seems still not complete, missing one or two critical players and no sign of a marquee. Is everybody still convinced that CFG is ahead of the game? Or are us pessimist slightly slowly proven right regarding marquee budget, salary cap and Tim Cahill. 

I would love to be proven wrong by round one.

14 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Mr Mo, season is over. The squad is much weaker than last year. With Bruno out till Xmas makes it even worse. 

Not sure if you are trolling but don't get me wrong we might be on the same team. I'm the biggest retard, pessimist on here remember. Season isn't over as yet but there is definately less excitement or buzz around it. Don't know what it is, all those years even under heart I carried more excitement. Maybe because I know why we can't recruit strongly.

Edited by Mr MO

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Not sure if you are trolling but don't get me wrong we might be on the same team. I'm biggest retard, pessimist on here remember. Season isn't over as yet but there is definately less excitement or buzz around it. Don't know what it is, all those years even under heart I carried more excitement. Maybe because I know why we can't recruit strongly.

Not trolling Mo, foundation member.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Mr Mo, season is over. The squad is much weaker than last year. With Bruno out till Xmas makes it even worse. 

The pessimist in me says 5th, knocked out in Finals First Round. The Optimist says Wazza is a gun and we will play out of our skin due to his tactical knowledge and changes we have been missing for 5+ years.

8 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Not sure if you are trolling but don't get me wrong we might be on the same team. I'm the biggest retard, pessimist on here remember. Season isn't over as yet but there is definately less excitement or buzz around it. Don't know what it is, all those years even under heart I carried more excitement. Maybe because I know why we can't recruit strongly.

It doesn't matter if supporters are not excited or confident.  Time and time again its been plainly aware that pleb supporters like us really don't have a clue. 

Now, in this league we can't just go out and buy the best player for every position because of the salary cap, so thats why the Head Manager of each team makes such a difference in this league. IMO Muscat and Bouzanis are completely acceptable Aleague players to have in a starting XI, what matters are the coaches we have. Personally, I have no idea how we will go this season because Wazz is a complete unknown. But, our squad is on par (if not deeper than last season) and we were all saying last season we had a squad good enough to win the league so really, who the fuck knows. None of us do thats for sure. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

It doesn't matter if supporters are not excited or confident.  Time and time again its been plainly aware that pleb supporters like us really don't have a clue. 

Now, in this league we can't just go out and buy the best player for every position because of the salary cap, so thats why the Head Manager of each team makes such a difference in this league. IMO Muscat and Bouzanis are completely acceptable Aleague players to have in a starting XI, what matters are the coaches we have. Personally, I have no idea how we will go this season because Wazz is a complete unknown. But, our squad is on par (if not deeper than last season) and we were all saying last season we had a squad good enough to win the league so really, who the fuck knows. None of us do thats for sure. 

I agree, who knows what will happen. 

@Dylan, do you believe we are leaning towards more youth players because of our philosophy or due to squad restrictions? 

Except that not everybody is a pleb supporter and some understand the league and the salary cap restrictions very well, hence the impression is there that something isn't going well with the marquee budgets and salary cap management. I guess some obvious player improvement in the forward line on last season would be nice.

Wazza in his first year might have had limited influence with recruitment, so he will be able to put his own stamp on the team more in the second season.

Edited by Mr MO

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Worth a read.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/jordan-odoherty-lauds-reds-fitness-levels/7ww047d1ipl11fpmjr5nz2p36

Note the reference to double training sessions.

45 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I agree, who knows what will happen. 

@Dylan, do you believe we are leaning towards more youth players because of our philosophy or due to squad restrictions? 

Except that not everybody is a pleb supporter and some understand the league and the salary cap restrictions very well, hence the impression is there that something isn't going well with the marquee budgets and salary cap management. I guess some obvious player improvement in the forward line on last season would be nice.

Wazza in his first year might have had limited influence with recruitment, so he will be able to put his own stamp on the team more in the second season.

Pleb comment was made in jest. But anyway, I think the salary cap management has been good this year (especially if carissa is confirmed.) we still have a marquee spot open and a month to go with most marquees being singed in September anyway. There aint a lot of Aleague clubs that could have Cahill and Carusca sitting on the bench and that says it all IMO

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Pleb comment was made in jest. But anyway, I think the salary cap management has been good this year (especially if carissa is confirmed.) we still have a marquee spot open and a month to go with most marquees being singed in September anyway. There aint a lot of Aleague clubs that could have Cahill and Carusca sitting on the bench and that says it all IMO

Carrisa

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So what part of the Greek highlands do the McKenzie's hail?

Your full of shit.

My dad is half Greek and my mum is full Greek, I speak the language fluently, and I have been raised in a Greek Australian household. What's wrong with showing pride in ones heritage?

• Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic