Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

19 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Weaker? 

I think we are stronger and more balanced. Defensively definitely stronger.

Just need to compare the outs to the ins and likely positions of the squad. 

It's pretty much the course for me at this time of year to be bullish about the squad regardless. 

Presuming this Dutch defender joins then our central defence will be come MJ, dutchy, La Rocca, Tongyik vs start of last season MJ, Chapman, Malik, Tongyik; so yes that is a big step forward.

Howver I note we still have Cahill but have dispensed with anyone who ever put s ball anywhere near his head (why have the best header in the game then?) and have only 1 left back. Let's pray he doesn't get injured because our back up seems to a 16 year old right back (we apparently expect the aging Muscat to cover both positions and he too will also not get injured).

Forum members seem to think Arzani is the next Messi, but I haven't seen anything from the kid yet to consider him a first team player and Mauk, well he's just Caceres with a shorter name.

Cant comment on the marquee because we haven't signed one yet, which is hopefully just because Omar Abdulrahman is haggling over the finer points of his contract.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Weaker? 

I think we are stronger and more balanced. Defensively definitely stronger.

Just need to compare the outs to the ins and likely positions of the squad. 

It's pretty much the course for me at this time of year to be bullish about the squad regardless. 

Outs from 2016/17: Sorensen, Franjic, Rose, Retre, Caceres, Colazo, Kuzmanovski, Gameiro.
Ins for 2017/18: Galekovic, Jamieson, La Rocca, Mauk.
Possible (unconfirmed) ins for 2017/18: Schenkeveld, Budzinski. 

I agree with @Shahanga that it's probably unwise to assume anything with Brandan because we have almost no official information from the club. I too wonder whether he can make a full return to his "jack-in-the-box" style of play.

• Like 1

Club release says he's a RB

The 25-year-old right-back has signed from Dutch side PEC Zwolle in the Eredivisie, adding depth to City’s defence ahead of the new campaign.

A youth product of reigning Dutch champions Feyenoord, Schenkeveld is a strong right-sided defensive player who represented the Netherlands at U19s level.

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-signs-dutch-defender-bart-schenkeveld/3pdup3s042mc1u32ymq35yqb7#tS5MKkeJDSRK2HOZ.99

whas that mean for our back 4? 

Bart-LaRocca-Jak-Jamieson 

Edited by Missing_Moy

1 minute ago, Missing_Moy said:

The 25-year-old right-back has signed from Dutch side PEC Zwolle in the Eredivisie, adding depth to City’s defence ahead of the new campaign.

A youth product of reigning Dutch champions Feyenoord, Schenkeveld is a strong right-sided defensive player who represented the Netherlands at U19s level.

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-signs-dutch-defender-bart-schenkeveld/3pdup3s042mc1u32ymq35yqb7#tS5MKkeJDSRK2HOZ.99

Probably yeh, which is a shade surprising. Im ok with either of 

Schenkeveld Jakobsen La Rocca Jamieson

or

Muscat Schenkeveld Jakobsen Jamieson

Our XI with confirmed signings (and going by who Wazza has played)

MelbCity1.JPG.8ba44544be33a0058255f9b71bf873e1.JPG

Potential changes I would make is: Tongyik for La Rocca, Schenkveld for La Rocca (Muscat to RB), Brattan for Malik, Mauk or Brattan at CAM/CM depending on VISA, Kamau for Brandan during injury

Edited by haz

Tongyik is honestly good enough to start games this season, especially with the amount of experience he's got around him in the back 4 now so I'd prefer Bort at RB.

Either way, we've got depth and flexibility now so that's a big tick. Just the attacking midfielder left to sign now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

He said he's quick and likes playing in a back three in the HUN article

And good at 1 on 1s

2 minutes ago, Nate said:

Tongyik is honestly good enough to start games this season, especially with the amount of experience he's got around him in the back 4 now so I'd prefer Bort at RB.

Either way, we've got depth and flexibility now so that's a big tick. Just the attacking midfielder left to sign now.

Its all down to Wazza to see what he lines up with.

I assume Bort will be ready for the next FFA Cup game?

1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

The release says right sided defensive player. I think it is said to incorporate his roles as a right back and the right centre back of a central pairing.

I still think he will play CB.

11 minutes ago, malloy said:

The release says right sided defensive player. I think it is said to incorporate his roles as a right back and the right centre back of a central pairing.

I still think he will play CB.

Are we looking at 5ATB?

Jamieson----------------------------------Fitz/Muscat?

-----------Tongyik--Jakobsen--Bort----------

Edited by haz

1 minute ago, haz said:

Are we looking at 5ATB?

Jamieson----------------------------------Fitz/Muscat?

-----------Tongyik--Jakobsen--Bort----------

Didn't someone on this forum speak to Joyce and he confirmed 433?

It will prob be Jamo, Jako, Bort and Muscy in a back 4.

• Like 1

"Budzinski arrivera cette (fin) de semaine à Melbourne. Il part de Pologne direction l'Australie (Mercredi/Jeudi)"

"Budzinski will arrive this weekend in Melbourne. He leaves from Poland to Australia (Wednesday / Thursday)"

I would say that there will be an announcement Monday 28th August or shortly thereafter.

image.thumb.png.cef4f2dcdc6b680c1aec43b5ef598f6b.png

Add Arzani and Crowley, and then Youth Players Metcalfe, Genreau, Delianov (GK), Najaarine, Roberts and Pierias to that and we have a squad of 20+6 and probably our list done. Tis pretty good tbh, with adequate reinforcements in pretty much every position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, japiedog said:

quick question ^^^^^^^^^^^ as above

LaRocca now Australian ? or Italian

Italian International but is a dual international. So essentially doesnt occupy a visa spot, but cant play for the national team unless he hasnt represented Italy before.

21 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Add Arzani and Crowley, and then Youth Players Metcalfe, Genreau, Delianov (GK), Najaarine, Roberts and Pierias to that and we have a squad of 20+6 and probably our list done. Tis pretty good tbh, with adequate reinforcements in pretty much every position.

Looks like a very decent starting line up with arguements made for At least 3 bench players deserving a starting role so looks good!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Heard that Pierias was on 15k as a youth this season, increasing to 50k next season then to 150k the season after that if he performs. Insane numbers for a fucking 16 year old

Rated as highly in the club as from the terraces by the sound of it.  His one first team performance looked very polished. He *might* be a real prospect...

1 hour ago, jeffplz said:

Heard that Pierias was on 15k as a youth this season, increasing to 50k next season then to 150k the season after that if he performs. Insane numbers for a fucking 16 year old

Conditions attached to Scholarship players. If he's a "minimum wage" Scholarship player then he can't be paid less than the minimum wage, which is currently around $700 per week for 38 hours.

Contracted NYL Players/ Scholarship Players – Each Club can contract up to 6 under 20 Australian Players on the minimum youth salary (Contracted NYL Players) or national minimum wage (Scholarship Players). Any payments above the minimum youth salary or national minimum wage (whichever is applicable) to these Players are included in the Club’s Salary Cap;
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/about#lisBSSbpRA17YrBu.99

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

good squad.  im a little disappointed that we havent focused more on bringing in australian players.

Edited by nah brah

10 minutes ago, nah brah said:

good squad.  im a little disappointed that we havent focused more on bringing in australian players.

What are you dissappointed about though?? IMO i think we have the best aussies we are able to get that are available, how many aussies are there out there that honestly are either good enough or want too come back to aleague, that are not recycled players from the aleauge. If we can sign this Polish bloke, im expecting big things

• jw1739 pinned this topic