Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 hours ago, Embee said:

Cahill was easily one of our most effective players last season and without him I doubt our team would lifted the FFA Cup. The narrative put forward by some that he's basically here as a publicist and negotiation piece with the FFA is bullshit. He scored 11 goals, many of which were at a vital point in the games he scored them in (equalizers, winners, opening goals).

Any team in the A-League would've loved to have had Tim in their squad last season purely based on his skill and talent.

I'm not arguing about what Cahill did, but if you don't think his signing was motivated by getting the OK for sky blue then I'd suggest you are somewhat naive.

ps other teams might have loved to have him, but they weren't prepared to pay his price 

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I'm not contradicting myself.

With salary cap struggles, I'm hinting to a single player which cost 12 to 15% of your salary - that isn't balanced.

CFG have budgets, we have spend millions of dollars on TC - they will spread this investment out over several years this can result in a lower budget on out of cap spending, pretty simple in my mind.

CFG have budgets, as I mentioned above perhaps they don't want to spend more than 600k. My point too, as the return on investment isn't here yet. 

Wasn't Ninkovic under the cap? Isn't Troisi under the cap? What is balanced? Where everyone earns close to equal portion? That's never been even close to happening and certainly hasn't been the case to our more successful rivals. 

How do you define return on investment? Through impact on the field? Merchandise sold? Membership sold? How do you know CFG want to spend more than 600k irrepective of Tim or his return on investment. Could they not want to spend more due to the debacle with the FFA over many issues? 

6 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I'm not arguing about what Cahill did, but if you don't think his signing was motivated by getting the OK for sky blue then I'd suggest you are somewhat naive.

ps other teams might have loved to have him, but they weren't prepared to pay his price 

I don't feel it was entirely motivated by the colours, no. Write it off as naivety all you want, but I highly doubt the club spunked out 4 million solely for the right to wear Sky Blue, especially when that outcome was inevitable really. Cahill brought plenty of off-field positives with him but he's also still a top level player in this league and demonstrated as much last season.

Great, not sure how that disproves my point.

Edited by Embee

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Wasn't Ninkovic under the cap? Isn't Troisi under the cap? What is balanced? Where everyone earns close to equal portion? That's never been even close to happening and certainly hasn't been the case to our more successful rivals. 

How do you define return on investment? Through impact on the field? Merchandise sold? Membership sold? How do you know CFG want to spend more than 600k irrepective of Tim or his return on investment. Could they not want to spend more due to the debacle with the FFA over many issues? 

Hey Niko, we are drifting off a little but those players you've mentioned are the kind of players you want to spend your money on - they play every game 90min and can play in the Nr 10 role.

Putting the return investment to bed, Melbourne Victory is the only club in the league with a positive balance.

So how will Timmy prove his worth this season. What is the measure, what would we be satisfied with, what does he have to do?

Is he capable of scoring?

How many assists?

What do we expect defensively?

What position, what role?

People are using different aspects of his game as argument  points, but what do we really expect from him this season?

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Hey Niko, we are drifting off a little but those players you've mentioned are the kind of players you want to spend your money on - they play every game 90min and can play in the Nr 10 role.

Putting the return investment to bed, Melbourne Victory is the only club in the league with a positive balance.

Victory don't own anything and don't invest in anything (especially their W league team) in fact they don't make enough profit to do anything substantial rather than get a 1 mil a season marquee. Their youth set up and W league have no base an pretty much are just like heart were, moving around the place depending on what facilities are available. 

Biggest sign I saw that they are very sensitive about it is when we had the FFA cup semi there was shit everywhere with big letters saying 'THIS IS OUR HOME' (talk about being self conscious about leasing a facility rather than owning it)

They even have to have something as pathetic as a diet shake as a major sponsor to break even.

They are just a bunch of tenants 

Edited by Dylan

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Victory don't own anything and don't invest in anything (especially their W league team) in fact they don't make enough profit to do anything substantial rather than get a 1 mil a season marquee. Their youth set up and W league have no base an pretty much are just like heart were, moving around the place depending on what facilities are available. 

Biggest sign I saw that they are very sensitive about it is when we had the FFA cup semi there was shit everywhere with big letters saying 'THIS IS OUR HOME' talk about being self conscious about leasing a facility rather than owning it

They even have to have something as pathetic as a diet shake as a major sponsor to break even.

They are just a bunch of Visitors

FTFY

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I get what youre saying I just dont agree at all with your angle. What youve said is irrespective of the fact that we have a marquee spot open for that number 10 role and our squad being so strong!! The whole point is Tim being under the cap hasnt impacted us at all like you make out. 

And who cares that victree has a positive balance. I fail to see your point and its relevance to us, our budget and our goals. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I get what youre saying I just dont agree at all with your angle. What youve said is irrespective of the fact that we have a marquee spot open for that number 10 role and our squad being so strong!! The whole point is Tim being under the cap hasnt impacted us at all like you make out. 

And who cares that victree has a positive balance. I fail to see your point and its relevance to us, our budget and our goals. 

No worries, Niko! We have moved on to better talks about our true age!

The whole point is Tim being under the cap hasnt impacted us at all like you make out. I disagree on this

If CFG wants to spend 5 million on out of cap salaries over let's say 3 years and we spend all of it in the first 2 years, just leaves not much left the remaining years, it's just simple and how business works - they way we are recruiting reflects my opinion plus we can Wazza do option to some youth development.

I can guarantee you that if Tim Cahill wasn't signed last year we would have access to a marquee player valued over 1 million by now.

Regarding Victory, I know that they operate differently but I do know CFG would like to see the same positive figures coming out of their main team set out over some years.

PS I'm 12 years old.

Edited by Mr MO

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The whole point is Tim being under the cap hasnt impacted us at all like you make out. I disagree on this

If CFG wants to spend 5 million on out of cap salaries over let's say 3 years and we spend all of it in the first 2 years, just leaves not much left the remaining years, it's just simple and how business works - they way we are recruiting reflects my opinion plus we can Wazza do option to some youth development.

I can guarantee you that if Tim Cahill wasn't signed last year we would have access to a marquee player valued over 1 million by now.

Regarding Victory, I know that they operate differently but I do know CFG would like to see the same positive figures coming out of their main team set out over some years.

PS I'm 12 years old.

How can you guarantee that?

5 minutes ago, sharpy said:

Fucking great transfer insights on here today.

Well, we could share some of the exciting news out of the club today I suppose. Four of our players eating in Shane Delia's Biggie Smalls in Windsor perhaps?

Maybe if there was a signing to talk about, then perhaps we would. But there ain't.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, we could share some of the exciting news out of the club today I suppose. Four of our players eating in Shane Delia's Biggie Smalls in Windsor perhaps?

Maybe if there was a signing to talk about, then perhaps we would. But there ain't.

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Has Bort landed yet? 

Maybe Bort is having tea at Biggie Smalls?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DFG_82 said:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-on-the-verge-of-bulking-up-its-foreign-quota-with-european-stars/news-story/f48b34d28cc14d171053d5a7684d5c7e

"But a no-frills marquee in the mould of Nicolas Colazo — and on a budget of approximately $600,000 a season — is seen as likely for City less than two months from the start of the season."

I remember reading an article the other day that has the 1.2 Million 2 year figure it in but can't find. Might have been removed once it was clear Palic wasn't coming.

that doesnt say that is what he was offered. that is saying the budget that they expect city to be looking at for the marquee - after they say that palic was off the cards.

still the only concrete number ive seen specifically relating to palic from a reputable news source is saying $250k per season.

5 minutes ago, nah brah said:

that doesnt say that is what he was offered. that is saying the budget that they expect city to be looking at for the marquee - after they say that palic was off the cards.

still the only concrete number ive seen specifically relating to palic from a reputable news source is saying $250k per season.

It was an error on The World Game article, send the writer a tweet or email to confirm if you want

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

PS I'm 12 years old.

Fact 1: Our squad is very very strong inside the cap regardless of Tims salary

Fact 2: You claim to know a lot without any proof 

• Like 2

Ill pop over to Poland on the weekend and track him down-

------------------------------------------------Games----Goals--Assists

Competition wettbewerb          

Lotto EkstraklasaEkstraklasa
Lotto Ekstraklasa Ekstraklasa 188 24         23    
Nice 1 Liga1 Liga
Nice 1 Liga 1 Liga 31 2 3    
Polish CupPolish Cup