Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

48 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree that much is going to depend on Wazza. If he can rid us of our habit of dropping silly points, then that will go quite a way to improving the way we think about the squad and the club.

I'm less sure about what we've done in the transfer market so far. If Schenkeveld is confirmed, he looks quite a good pick-up. Jamieson is OK, and although Mauk ruffles a few feathers IMO he's a pretty good player and can do a job up behind Bruno, and score as already demonstrated. I'm less sure about the signings of La Rocca and Galekovic. I'm disappointed that we've let Caceres go. Overall I rate the signings so far as solid but unexciting and IMO we desperately need a no. 10 to add quality and flair to the squad, and I hope we can get that sorted soon so that we can start the season at full-strength.

In terms of comparisons with the other clubs,  I still see Sydney and MV as the teams to beat. They seem to have already carried the momentum from last season into this pre-season. 

Wazza is a key...

the most frustrating thing that I've had with this club is the habit of drawing games we should have won and losing games we should have drawn

If Wazza can bring a tough no nonsense Northerner approach to our game, to be able to shut out matches and win ugly if need be, then I'll be happy

Edited by japiedog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

They seem to have already carried the momentum from last season into this pre-season. 

Over stated in my view. BTW any team are cnts when they beat a team more than 4-0 when it's obvious that it is a no contest(Sydney)

The FFA cup games MV and Syd had were both no contests because one was a pub side and the other didn't give a crap and is focussed on the season proper.

As it stands we have a team capable of winning but it all depends on how disciplined and hungry they are.

Also I think the youth players will be given a run early and the players (youth and senior) that don't buy in will be culled in Jan transfers.

Not fussed about this season tbh as I think a long term plan is in order for this club.

29 minutes ago, japiedog said:

Wazza is a key...

the most frustrating thing that I've had with this club is the habit of drawing games we should have won and losing games we should have drawn

If Wazza can bring a tough no nonsense Northerner approach to our game, to be able to shut out matches and win ugly if need be, then I'll be happy

^^^^^This

Edited by playmaker

1 minute ago, Rasputin said:

All of our signings have been defenders and a gk.  We are very weak in attack.  Who is going to provide the assists?  Fitz and brattan?  We are still a mooy and a novillo short of a decent squad.

We Could do with a Quality CAM which it looks like the club is looking to do with the Marquee spot, but wouldn't say we are very weak in attack at the moment. Add a CB and CAM and the squad looks pretty balanced.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

We Could do with a Quality CAM which it looks like the club is looking to do with the Marquee spot, but wouldn't say we are very weak in attack at the moment. Add a CB and CAM and the squad looks pretty balanced.

looks like we've signed the Dutch dagger Schank , at CB , so just need the #10 to complete the puzzle.

I had a call from the Club just now, I had to tell them NO, I am not coming out of retirement to fill the # 10 role

Unfortunately it was just them calling  to confirm  the membership details of myself and the handbrake

• Like 1

Brown, who spent 15 years at Manchester United and was capped 23 times by England, introduced himself to Blasters fans on social media.

'Hello India, Happy Independence day! I'm coming soon to the exciting Indian Super League to play for @KeralaBlasters,' Brown posted on Twitter

'I can't wait to play in front of one of the best fans in the world, Kerala. See you soon!'

Fulfilling a lifelong dream I guess

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DFG_82 said:

Yep weak in attack.  Who's gonna feed bruno? Kamau and Fitzy?  Need a good CAM and a good winger.

55 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

Yep weak in attack.  Who's gonna feed bruno? Kamau and Fitzy?  Need a good CAM and a good winger.

We're fine for wingers.  Don't forget Brandan will be back soon and Fitzy is seriously good.  Just need the number 10, and if that doesn't transpire before the serious stuff starts, even then we've got options to put a functional team out.

A #10 would be a bonus but I don't think it rules us out of contention if we don't get a marquee #10. Mauk is capable playing there. 

If we get an average #10 who can consistently spray the ball to Fitzgerald & Kamau/Brandan, I think we'll give it a good shake. 

17 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

Plenty of time to sign a marquee #10 m8

Nothing to do with time, it's our budget plus availability and willingness of players to come here - you can't deny that there will be less and less transfer free players avaible with the days go by.

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Nothing to do with time, it's our budget plus availability and willingness of players to come here - you can't deny that there will be less and less transfer free players avaible with the days go by.

It's arguable they'll increase when the European transfer closes...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

It's arguable they'll increase when the European transfer closes...

You are referring to a scenerio where a team last minute releases a player as they managed to find somebody bettter. That is a risky waiting game and would mean we aren't in control.

Just now, Mr MO said:

You are referring to a scenerio where a team last minute releases a player as they managed to find somebody bettter. That is a risky waiting game and would mean we aren't in control.

Nope, although that is possible. A lot of free agents, or even contracted players for that matter will hold out for a certain figure or deal in Europe and once no deal comes to the table, will then turn their attention abroad. There's also the scenario where say a club like Everton for example have now signed a heap of classy CAM's and a player like Ross Barkley who has shopped himself around, now looks unlikely to get game time and needs to seek a new home, hence where we come in to it. 
To be clear i'm not suggesting anyone of that quality, but you can see how that scenario would play out all around the world at different levels and we can pounce.

13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Nope, although that is possible. A lot of free agents, or even contracted players for that matter will hold out for a certain figure or deal in Europe and once no deal comes to the table, will then turn their attention abroad. There's also the scenario where say a club like Everton for example have now signed a heap of classy CAM's and a player like Ross Barkley who has shopped himself around, now looks unlikely to get game time and needs to seek a new home, hence where we come in to it. 
To be clear i'm not suggesting anyone of that quality, but you can see how that scenario would play out all around the world at different levels and we can pounce.

We are saying the exact same thing with your Everton scenario. Clubs finds somebody bettter and player & club decide it's best to mutual terminate for the player to find more game time. In August there will be no players training with a club without a contract in Europe. The uncontracted players who we are supposedly targeting for the 10 position are just getting thinner. We can still bring in quality but it's out of our hands really and what ever is left over by end of August.

Edited by Mr MO

25 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We are saying the exact same thing with your Everton scenario. Clubs finds somebody bettter and player & club decide it's best to mutual terminate for the player to find more game time. In August there will be no players training with a club without a contract in Europe. The uncontracted players who we are supposedly targeting for a the 10 position are just getting thinner. We can still bring in quality but it's out of hands really.

Fair enough i misread your first post.

Its not that risky. A player can be released at any time, they just cant sign with another club in Europe. There's hundreds of clubs that we can poach players from. I see the window closing as putting a big line through a stack of clubs we are competing against, not the players.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Fair enough i misread your first post.

Its not that risky. A player can be released at any time, they just cant sign with another club in Europe. There's hundreds of clubs that we can poach players from. I see the window closing as putting a big line through a stack of clubs we are competing against, not the players.

Yes, but would be nice, wouldn't it, to feel that City were on the front foot with signings? Gets a little frustrating to see other clubs announcing visa players - Sanchez (Victory),  Matmour (Adelaide), Andreu (Perth), and Mierzejewski (Sydney) in the past few days. IMO you're going to find it hard to win the league without 5 visa players and 2 marquees.

• Like 1

Melbourne City’s hopes of securing former Croatian under-21 representative Antun Palic are officially over, with the club unable to meet the financial demands of the 29-year old.
By 
Sebastian Hassett

17 AUG 2017 - 6:13 PM  UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO

City were on the cusp of bringing Palic – who has played for Dinamo Zagreb, Bangkok United and Dinamo București –to the A-League but were not prepared to lift their already substantial marquee offer, a two-year contract worth around $500,000 over two seasons.

Instead, The World Game understands that Palic has agreed a more financially rewarding deal with Belgium club Mouscron, a club that made headlines recently as it was linked to being a potential “satellite club” for Paris Saint-Germain.

Looks like our next Marquee wont be on more then $500k per season

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, but would be nice, wouldn't it, to feel that City were on the front foot with signings? Gets a little frustrating to see other clubs announcing visa players - Sanchez (Victory),  Matmour (Adelaide), Andreu (Perth), and Mierzejewski (Sydney) in the past few days. IMO you're going to find it hard to win the league without 5 visa players and 2 marquees.

Front foot suggests the irons werent in the fire though. Say as an example that we were in for Barkley since way back in May yet he says "look id like to stay in Europe, but if the right deal doesnt come along by the time the window closes, come back to me then." 

In the mean time we've gone for surety with the Troisi and Palic offers but the time has elapsed and for whatever reason we havent nailed our targets, then our initial man is back on the cards again. IMO we would have had a large list of players that we would have went through in order and some of those will be siphoned off into the wait and see list in the event we still havent signed a target by then.

So what Im trying to say is that you can be on the front foot, even if you havent signed a player by now.

25 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Front foot suggests the irons werent in the fire though. Say as an example that we were in for Barkley since way back in May yet he says "look id like to stay in Europe, but if the right deal doesnt come along by the time the window closes, come back to me then." 

In the mean time we've gone for surety with the Troisi and Palic offers but the time has elapsed and for whatever reason we havent nailed our targets, then our initial man is back on the cards again. IMO we would have had a large list of players that we would have went through in order and some of those will be siphoned off into the wait and see list in the event we still havent signed a target by then.

So what Im trying to say is that you can be on the front foot, even if you havent signed a player by now.

We haven't "nailed our target" as we need to accept that there is a clear cap on our next marquee, with strict instructions not overspend for the right player as Troisi signed for 60k more at Victory. It annoys me that Manchester loans out good several players directly to Girona and other clubs. Just google the MCFC players being stalled in Girona.

Read the below article and this might have something to do with Bort coming here.

www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/08/10/manchester-city-to-sign-nicolas-freire-from-argentinos-juniors-and-loan-him-to-pec-zwolle/amp/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Perhaps the $500k is because we spent so much on acquiring Cahill last year?

I would've thought we would go two marquees ~$800k-$1m each

Well Bruno is on $1.2m a season I think? Cahill was paid $1.5m out of our pocket I think? Colazo was on $500k, Koren was on $800k, Mooy was on $1m+.

IMO we will be getting a marquee for $400k-$600k per season, if he performs then I wouldn't see why the contract would not be raised.

14 hours ago, fensaddler said:

We're fine for wingers.  Don't forget Brandan will be back soon and Fitzy is seriously good.  Just need the number 10, and if that doesn't transpire before the serious stuff starts, even then we've got options to put a functional team out.

Brandan is decent but fitzy and kamau are mega average.

Edited by Rasputin

9 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

Brandan is decent but fitzy and kamau are mega average.

Not sure you'll get too much agreement there. Fitzy is well regarded by most and Kamau, whilst he's one of the most frustrating players of all time to watch, was =5th in the league for assists last year and won another two pens on top of that. All three are certainly capable at A League level, and whilst prob not at the standard of Novillo or Rojas, would find themselves in just about every starting XI in the league.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, haz said:

Just going off histoy I dont see more then $600k, would like to be proved wrong though.

I agree that this looks about it.

With respect to Cahill, I think his remuneration is a factor in CFG's thinking, but despite my personal feelings about his worth as a player, I think that if we're being limited on what we can spend on a decent marquee because of what TC was paid last season then that's pretty unfair on Melbourne City, our players and coaches (including Timmy himself), and Melbourne City fans. TC was only signed by us because of the insistence of CFG on us playing in sky blue. We didn't have to do it. Manchester City have loaned out four players to Girona already - and I wonder if Girona will change their red-and-white to sky blue in return? - I doubt it. In summary I'm finding it a bit difficult to understand CFG's attitude to Melbourne City at the present time. CFG could do exactly the same for us as they are doing for PEC Zwolle, who they don't even own FFS.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree that this looks about it.

With respect to Cahill, I think his remuneration is a factor in CFG's thinking, but despite my personal feelings about his worth as a player, I think that if we're being limited on what we can spend on a decent marquee because of what TC was paid last season then that's pretty unfair on Melbourne City, our players and coaches (including Timmy himself), and Melbourne City fans. TC was only signed by us because of the insistence of CFG on us playing in sky blue. We didn't have to do it. Manchester City have loaned out four players to Girona already - and I wonder if Girona will change their red-and-white to sky blue in return? - I doubt it. In summary I'm finding it a bit difficult to understand CFG's attitude to Melbourne City at the present time. CFG could do exactly the same for us as they are doing for PEC Zwolle, who they don't even own FFS.

With due respect, i believe thats 100% a myth.

• jw1739 pinned this topic