Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

5 minutes ago, Embee said:

Agree with pretty much all the above posts after mine.

Muscat was a bit of a victim of scapegoating, he was an unfashionable signing from the start which makes it easier for some to place most of the blame for our defensive issues at his feet, but as mentioned he was only really poor when deployed as CB which isn't his natural role. 

Hangon man. He was average or less for most of his games last season. He actually cost us points last year. Why and the cause no longer matters.

If he is able to play a role and not cost us games then all power to him but lets not sugar coat what happened last season. 

Just now, DFG_82 said:

Welcome Marcus

DHPTtplVYAAX71F.jpg

For reference:

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-sign-a-leagues-first-fifa-esports-player/18o65jodw50eb1hw78ihqltlhe

As somebody who successfully took Fleetwood Town from League 2 to the Champions League as a selling club on FIFA 13 I'm furious that I didn't even get a look in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

For reference:

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-sign-a-leagues-first-fifa-esports-player/18o65jodw50eb1hw78ihqltlhe

As somebody who successfully took Fleetwood Town from League 2 to the Champions League as a selling club on FIFA 13 I'm furious that I didn't even get a look in.

Underwhelming. Expected more out of the club on this one. 

Scott Munn should be fired for accepting mediocrity.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Hangon man. He was average or less for most of his games last season. He actually cost us points last year. Why and the cause no longer matters.

If he is able to play a role and not cost us games then all power to him but lets not sugar coat what happened last season. 

The performances where he 'cost us points' were those when he was utilized out of position, and there's still 10 other guys on the pitch in those games too. Notice that I haven't said he had a good season or sugarcoated the fact that he wasn't great, but there was an element of the fanbase that just screeched "OMG ROSE AND MUSCAT" whenever we didn't win, regardless of the performances of the entire team.

Again, my whole point here is that under a new manager and a system that doesn't leave our fullbacks out to dry I'm comfortable to start him at RB on day one of the season.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Embee said:

The performances where he 'cost us points' were those when he was utilized out of position, and there's still 10 other guys on the pitch in those games too. Notice that I haven't said he had a good season or sugarcoated the fact that he wasn't great, but there was an element of the fanbase that just screeched "OMG ROSE AND MUSCAT" whenever we didn't win, regardless of the performances of the entire team.

Again, my whole point here is that under a new manager and a system that doesn't leave our fullbacks out to dry I'm comfortable to start him at RB on day one of the season.

Basic skill errors and brain fades has zero to do with formations or systems. 

Agree he was not the only player on the pitch and many should carry the can for shit performances. I also agree he tand Rose tended to be targeted regularly as scapegoats, but really what do expect from a pretty fickle forum.

And I'm more than happy to have him start round 1as Rb. Alongside Wazza he'll get my full support until he doesn't deserve it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Basic skill errors and brain fades has zero to do with formations or systems. 

Agree he was not the only player on the pitch and many should carry the can for shit performances. I also agree he tand Rose tended to be targeted regularly as scapegoats, but really what do expect from a pretty fickle forum.

And I'm more than happy to have him start round 1as Rb. Alongside Wazza he'll get my full support until he doesn't deserve it. 

Yes and no really. That stupid mistake he made vs Sydney for example wouldn't have happened if we hadn't allowed them to counter us so easily and leave Manny as the last man in a position to make that mistake.

Currently our full strength team would be:

Melbcity15Aug.JPG.4622cf079ea501dab9c8216b7ca5bd6e.JPG

BENCH: Bouzanis, Cahill, Kamau, La Rocca, Mauk

RES: Tongyik, Malik, Arzani, Genreau, Pierias

OR

Melbcity15Aug2.JPG.25c6c654a51fcd98e5d64f0ee384ecdd.JPG

BENCH: Bouzanis, Cahill, Brattan, Tongyik, Mauk

RES: Muscat, Malik, Arzani, Genreau, Pierias

Thoughts:

• 3 ATB or normal 4-3-3 formation?
  • Is Cahill going to be a starter or super sub?
  • Was La Rocca signed as a first choice CB?
  • Was Mauk guaranteed to start when he signed?
  • Will Malik be starting? (Given how much he has played in Pre-Season)
  • Is Tongyik going to even make the bench each week?

Overall this shows we have very good competition for spots.

Edited by haz

34 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

wouldn't mind a 3-5-2. I think Bruno needs a partner up front 

I think there's a lot of merit to playing Bruno with another forward partner. He was absolutely destructive when there was Novillo to also take the defensive heat and they were both scoring for fun.

I'm not sure how that would work structurally though. Especially when we've heard that the formation is going to be 433. I'd love to see Cahill given a chance to play alongside him at some point though, as opposed to the role he was given just behind Bruno last season.

I wouldn't wanna line up like that every week, due to Timmy's age. But maybe something like this would be worth a try for a game or half....?

Galekovic
Muscat Schenk Jakobsen Jamieson
                      Killer
Fitzy Brattan/Marquee Nando
               Timmy Bruno

I also think that Brandan could be used well as a CAM more than he was last season, and maybe a left-sided forward would make a good marquee.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

No real free agents left in his position. Looks like we'll probably loan in a marquee player again.

And next to that if we need stick to our budgets and only want to spend a certain amount 500k to 750k a year it's only getting harder to find a suitable player. I'm hoping for a Man City loan player, however all the good loan players have been send to Girona FC.

8 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

I still think we will get Carrusca

Surely we can do better than Carrusca? Another ex-Adelaide player, who will be 34 by the time the season starts. We need a marquee visa player from a reputable league who's going to add some excitement around around the place.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Surely we can do better than Carrusca? Another ex-Adelaide player, who will be 34 by the time the season starts. We need a marquee visa player from a reputable league who's going to add some excitement around around the place.

I hear that Messi is a bit unsettled , since Neymar left, is he worth offering a basic wage to ?:D

3 minutes ago, Embee said:

Yeah I'm not really sure I see the point of Carrusca at this stage. If we were using the marquee on a centrehalf then maybe, but the last spot we really need to fill is #10 and we have a marquee spot to do it, surely that guy won't be Carrusca

Absolutely. Was a great player but age plus injuries (was he actually seeing out a whole game in his last season?) would make this a very poor and reactive decision. 

But i doubt it will happen as this is just rumors based on the Petrillo history...plus given we've been looking at o/s players in their 20s already; it just doesn't make sense.

I'm not convinced that the club is all that desperate to sign a foreign attacking midfielder / marquee player.  With the focus seemingly on creating a solid defence, I reckon they are going to give Arzani and Mauk a shot this year, with a view to creating another Mooy type scenario.  

Edited by Torn Asunder

2 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

I'm not convinced that the club is all that desperate to sign a foreign attacking midfielder / marquee player.  With the focus on creating that solid defence, I reckon they are going to give Arzani and Mauk a shot this year, with a view to creating another Mooy type scenario.  

Massive risk. 

Assuming the Troisi and Palic attempted signings were true then they were in the market for an attacking midfielder. 

With a marquee spot still open I still believe it will be filled by a #10.

• jw1739 pinned this topic