Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I was surprised when I found out there are a bunch of old blokes on here, I  would have thought they would have been still bamboozled by a fax machine ;)

Jeez, I thought fax machines went out years ago. You need to get up with the times Dylan. Nowadays you take an image with your phone and send it that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

I was surprised when I found out there are a bunch of old blokes on here, I  would have thought they would have been still bamboozled by a fax machine ;)

Fax machines were invented in the 19th century, the internet was invented by baby boomers. Like all the housing, we own it:lol:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Screenshot_20170802-170639.png

Dundalk star Patrick McEleney emerges as potential target for Melbourne City

McEleney is out of contract at the end of this League of Ireland season.

ByPaul O'Hehir
  • 00:10, 2 AUG 2017

Dundalk star Patrick McEleney has emerged as a potential target for Melbourne City.

Damien Duff’s former team in Australia are familiar with the Derry man from their time courting ex-Lilywhite Daryl Horgan last season.

McEleney is out of contract at the end of this League of Ireland season and is already linked with Sunderland and Wigan.

It is unclear if a long haul move to Australia would appeal to the attacking midfielder as McEleney, 24, has a young family.

When McEleney won the SSE Airtricity / Player of the Month for June, he was quizzed on his future.

On playing in England again having left Sunderland as a homesick teen, he said: “I'm 24 with a family to look after, I'll do whatever I can to do that.”

Melbourne City is owned by City Football Group, a holding company for the Abu Dhabi United Group that controls Manchester City and New York City.

They are managed by former Manchester United reserve team boss and Wigan chief Warren Joyce, who was appointed last month.

Yesterday, Dundalk said there had been no contact as yet from Melbourne City regarding McEleney’s availability

Personal information
Full name Patrick McEleney
Date of birth (1992-09-26) 26 September 1992 (age 24)
Place of birth Derry, Northern Ireland
Height 1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)
Playing position Forward
Club information
Current team
Dundalk
Number 11
Youth career
2008–2009 Sunderland
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2010–2015 Derry City 175 (26)
2016– Dundalk 43 (11)
National team
2008 Northern Ireland U16 ? (?)
2008–2009 Republic of Ireland U17 7[1] (1)
2009–2010 Republic of Ireland U19 4[2] (0)

Guy looks good. Although what is the quality difference between Ireland and HAL?

Edited by haz

The League of Ireland is 38th in the UEFA club rankings. Dundalk are currently second to Cork City, the runaway leaders. The league's season finishes at the end of October.

I wouldn't have thought that Patrick McEleney would be a signing to "change the face of the A-League as we know it" as stated by KoH.

Attendances at  League of Ireland matches are very low. In 2016 Cork had the highest average - 2,843, and Dundalk came next - 2,368.

McEleney could be quite a good player who could do well for us, but he'd have to be under the cap for sure - no way would FFA approve him as a marquee.

3 minutes ago, haz said:

Just read this too. Although he would have a full season under his belt, surely he would need a break too?

The League of Ireland has three rounds of matches - each club plays a total of 33 matches. Plus, I assume, a Cup competition, and the top 3 clubs play Euro league matches. Dundalk were champions last season. McEleney has played 32 matches so far this season.

Yes, I would assume he would want a break.

Interestingly, he hasn't played in the past two Dundalk matches listed on transfermarkt.

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The League of Ireland has three rounds of matches - each club plays a total of 33 matches. Plus, I assume, a Cup competition, and the top 3 clubs play Euro league matches. Dundalk were champions last season. McEleney has played 32 matches so far this season.

Yes, I would assume he would want a break.

Interestingly, he hasn't played in the past two Dundalk matches listed on transfermarkt.

Who knows.

But I don't want a VISA player who will miss the start of the season and then probaly miss a couple more matches after having a break (starting on the bench etc.), then missing even more games after he injures himself from over-working.

• jw1739 pinned this topic