Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

57 minutes ago, japiedog said:

Sign me, guaranteed not to be good

I'm over 50, injured and can take up space in the Germano Treatment centre , I'll just take basic wage, so I'll fit in under the cap

Rumour has it they decided against signing you up because there was concerns members of your family might leak the team on the forum on the Thursday before the game. Bad luck mate.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, japiedog said:

Sign me, guaranteed not to be good

I'm over 50, injured and can take up space in the Germano Treatment centre , I'll just take basic wage, so I'll fit in under the cap

IMO you qualify for the Mature Aged Rookie place outside the cap. You can come on as the time-wasting substitution in injury time, meaning we can release Cahill.

Melbourne City uses 99 different players in league matches over past five years, more than Bayern Munich or Barcelona

JULY 30, 201710:17PM

MATT WINDLEY Herald Sun

·          

MELBOURNE City has used almost twice as many players as Barcelona and Bayern Munich in league matches in the past five years.

City has given minutes to 99 different players in that time, with Barca and Bayern giving just 53 players a run in La Liga and Bundesliga matches respectively.

The findings are detailed in Professional Footballers Australia’s 2016-17 A-League Report, which is to be released on Monday.

It comes on the eve of City’s Round of 32 FFA Cup clash with Peninsula Power in Brisbane, which will be new coach Warren Joyce’s first competitive match in charge.

On the back of another off-season that has already seen a high turnover of players, Joyce is set to blood plenty more City debutants on Tuesday night.

Eugene Galekovic, Scott Jamieson and Iacapo La Rocca have all been signed, while Stefan Mauk is back for a second City stint.

Going the other way, Thomas Sorensen retired, Nicolas Colazo’s loan deal from Boca Juniors expired, Steve Kuzmanovski was released and Ivan Franjic (Daegu FC), Josh Rose (Central Coast), Corey Gameiro (Brisbane), Paulo Retre (Sydney FC) and Anthony Caceres (Al Wasl) have all moved to other clubs.

City used 23 different players last season.

That is less than Western Sydney (26), Brisbane, Perth (25 each) and Adelaide (24).

But its tally of 99 in the past five years combined is by far the most in the competition, with Melbourne Victory boasting the next largest amount on 82.

The international comparison is an interesting one given the caps on A-League squad sizes and the fact it is only a 27-game season as compared with the 34-game Bundesliga season and 38-game La Liga and English Premier League campaigns.

Real Madrid used just 56 players in the same period, while Manchester United (64) and Chelsea (69) weren’t far behind.

Closer to City’s mark are Italian Serie A sides AC Milan (88) and Inter Milan (98).

These clubs are also burdened by additional cup and European competitions during their seasons, increasing the need for managers to juggle their squads.

But City’s squad rotation has come in a period where the club has risen from 9th and 10th place finishes in 2012-13 and 2013-14 to two top four campaigns in the past three years.

Of the current squad, only Bruno Fornaroli, Nick Fitzgerald and Osama Malik are about to embark upon their third consecutive season at City.

TOTAL MELBOURNE CITY GAMES

Of current squad

56 Bruno Fornaroli

36 Nick Fitzgerald

34 Stefan Mauk

32 Osama Malik

26 Luke Brattan, Bruce Kamau

*A-League games only

You cannot be successful with this level of turn over. I also makes it hard build loyalty. Look around all the other clubs and they have a handful of class players who have played for their clubs for a number of seasons. People like to support the same players year in year out, we turn over players so quickly its hard to get to know and like people because they are gone at any moment.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Deeming said:

You cannot be successful with this level of turn over. I also makes it hard build loyalty. Look around all the other clubs and they have a handful of class players who have played for their clubs for a number of seasons. People like to support the same players year in year out, we turn over players so quickly its hard to get to know and like people because they are gone at any moment.

It says that Victory have had 82 in that time. They've been quite successful.

1 minute ago, GreenSeater said:

It says that Victory have had 82 in that time. They've been quite successful.

About 4/5 of what we have used.

My guess is also that they have retained most of their core player each year and their turn over is their fringe players whereas we turn over half the squad every year.

• Like 1

This maybe true. But what do you expect. Any good player wants to move to Europe as soon as possible. Any shit player gets moved on by the club.

Without seeing the report I'd say Wanderers would have more. (And have been more successful ).

The A League has been structured in a way in which a club on can build on a 1 year season cycle. Retaining players and developing players is impossible. 

Comparing the A League to any of the big leagues is idiotic and pointless. 

This off season so far has been the least turnover.  

Edited by Jovan

Malik barely qualifies - he came half-way through Season 2015/16. 

IMO Windley is just pointing out that it can be argued that one of our problems is the high turnover of players that we have had. These sorts of comparisons are inevitable. It goes with the territory of being part of City Football Club; people will always focus our our weaknesses and failures rather than our strengths and successes.

Edited by jw1739

6 minutes ago, Jovan said:

This maybe true. But what do you expect. Any good player wants to move to Europe as soon as possible. Any shit player gets moved on by the club.

Without seeing the report I'd say Wanderers would have more. (And have been more successful ).

The A League has been structured in a way in which a club on can build on a 1 year season cycle. Retaining players and developing players is impossible. 

Nah pretty sure we were the highest and Victory 2nd. We've turned over midseason more than the others.

Look as far as Victory goes i dont think they are miles out in front like many have suggested. They've got about 6 very solid quality players of their XI signed up, another 2-3 decent players and then absolutely sweet FA after that. All this with what is pretty much bugger all salary cap left to work with. Put simply they'll have a pretty tidy starting XI but will have zero depth and zero susceptibility to injury. They'll be good, but imo they aren't any better on paper than last season.

14 minutes ago, Jovan said:

its just a way to bash city. I am actually surprised that Windley wrote it, it looks like something that would come from the Daily Football Show given how anti city they are

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Nah pretty sure we were the highest and Victory 2nd. We've turned over midseason more than the others.

Look as far as Victory goes i dont think they are miles out in front like many have suggested. They've got about 6 very solid quality players of their XI signed up, another 2-3 decent players and then absolutely sweet FA after that. All this with what is pretty much bugger all salary cap left to work with. Put simply they'll have a pretty tidy starting XI but will have zero depth and zero susceptibility to injury. They'll be good, but imo they aren't any better on paper than last season.

Based on actual signed players, how do you rate us compared with Sydney and Victory right now?

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Agree with this, this seems like Muscat having one last shot before heading off overseas. Its a huge risk, but knowing our luck they will pull it off.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Based on actual signed players, how do you rate us compared with Sydney and Victory right now?

Galekovic/Cisak/Thomas

Muscat/Wilkshire/Geria        Jakobsen/Wilkinson/Williams           LaRocca/Bujis/Donachie     Jamieson/Zullo/?

Kilkenny/Brillante/Milligan                Brattan/O’Neill/Valeri

Mauk/Ninkovic/Troisi

Fitzgerald/Brosque/Austin                                              Fornaroli/Bobo/Berisha                            Brandan/Carney/Barbarouses

IMO when you look at that man for man the GK is pretty much an all round draw, RB’s all roughly equal on exposed form, although we are arguably the weakest there certainly potential wise. 

1st choice CB all quality, 2nd choice all debatable. Bujis prob the most proven last season but La Rocca is an ACL and league winner. So imo not much between it.

LB City and Sydney way out in front of Victory.

1st choice CDM all quality, Victory strongest, not much between Killa and Brillante. 2nd choice CDM/CM is close between all three, form a big factor between all.

AM we are clearly the weakest. That’s why this needs to be our marquee man, and a good one at that.

RW is comparable with Sydney, far stronger than Victory. All Stikers are quality, imo we win that one though.

LW again all quality, I think you could make a case for all three.

I haven’t put benches up but we are far and away the winner there.

Ultimately man for man we stack up pretty well, but a CAM and a quality CB, or even RB makes us look pretty good imo. Our last two signings are critical.                                                                   

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

@bt50 I admire your unwavering optimism but to my eye there is no way LaRocca, Brattan, Fitzgerald are anywhere near the level of Buijs, O'Neill, Brosque. And yeah, LaRocca has won the ACL but so have Haliti, Shannon Cole and Daniel Mullen.

For mine the real danger this season is the Wanderers, their squad is ridiculous.

Agree re the Wanderers.

La Rocca has proven himself capable in the past, and whilst I'd ideally prefer a visa CB and have him as 3rd choice I really dont think he's that far, if at all behind Bujis who imo is solid but nothing special. Same goes for Donachie.
Fitzy is a rising star, Brosque is getting closer and closer to retirement. Don't think there much difference between them either tbh.
Brattan on the other hand imo has a higher ceiling than O'Neill, but is far, far less consistent. In that regard I'd take O'Neill probably, but with caveat that if Wazza can get Bratts back to his best, and his current physique suggests he'll be far fitter than last year, then I reckon he's a better player.

I find it very difficult to be objective in these comparisons - that's why I asked! We do seem to have some good back-up young players - four players in the U-23 squad is not bad, plus players such as Genreau can come in and do a job as they have already shown.

On 7/31/2017 at 9:35 AM, jw1739 said:

By my count of announced player contracts we have 16 players signed to the senior squad. The others have been announced as scholarship players. Even if we assume Brattan is/will be signed, and one of the 7 scholarship players promoted to the senior list, then that still brings us to only 18. The minimum number is 20, so by my reckoning we must sign at least two more players.

I'm going to appreciate this post even if nobody else will.  Nice to have some facts about the place...  So at least two signings to look forward to.

The wording of the club's announcement on Caceres is a bit puzzling. http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/player-update/11zf6608qujvu1qa0ibcd4lhui Says: "The clubs have agreed a loan fee for the player." Only two clubs are mentioned - Melbourne City and Al Wasl, so it reads as if we've loaned out a loan player...??

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The wording of the club's announcement on Caceres is a bit puzzling. http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/player-update/11zf6608qujvu1qa0ibcd4lhui Says: "The clubs have agreed a loan fee for the player." Only two clubs are mentioned - Melbourne City and Al Wasl, so it reads as if we've loaned out a loan player...??

Loanception

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

A good chance for him to get back on track under a good manager. hopefully this seasons trends better than the last.

A quality player now managed by a quality manager, now he needs to up his work on the pitch and up his attitude.

He is the type of player that can make all the difference for us this season and based on the practice games he is working hard off the ball. Things look promising

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, playmaker said:

A good chance for him to get back on track under a good manager. hopefully this seasons trends better than the last.

A quality player now managed by a quality manager, now he needs to up his work on the pitch and up his attitude.

He is the type of player that can make all the difference for us this season and based on the practice games he is working hard off the ball. Things look promising

Dunno if anyone has noticed, but he's lost a fuck load of weight since pre-season started.

• Like 5

Same old story. There ia a lot of time before season kick off yada-yada ... Like we are awaiting whether Ronaldo or Neymar will change thieir loyalties. We better be lucky and sign a couple (anonymous) players who will turn to be good like a Bruno or at least Brandan. There is no sense of good management. Brattan doesn't have enough caps for Socceroos that's keeping us with us.

With Brattan and Mauk signed and Malik getting moved into midfield it'd be surprising if we signed a #10 with Kilkenny and Cahill also able to play in there.

Need a right back and a marquee winger as our most urgent purchases if we're going to continue playing the same system as Brandan may take some time to get up to speed, Kamau is inconsistent and Fitzy is solid if unspectacular.

30 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

With Brattan and Mauk signed and Malik getting moved into midfield it'd be surprising if we signed a #10 with Kilkenny and Cahill also able to play in there.

Need a right back and a marquee winger as our most urgent purchases if we're going to continue playing the same system as Brandan may take some time to get up to speed, Kamau is inconsistent and Fitzy is solid if unspectacular.

Not sure about not getting a #10. We obviously were after Troisi and although we have since signed Brattan I still think we will get a #10. Genreau and Mauk are pretty much our first choice with obviously Cahill. Brattan and Kilkenny are more box to box and Malik is a defensive midfield. 

There is absolutely no way we will go into the season proper without a Marquee. The last Visa we might leave for January. 

10 hours ago, Inferno said:

I have got a strong feeling that Nico Martinez will be joining city soon. I think @Hellenic Hero can back me up. 

That's true. Confirmed on a two year deal.

https://m.facebook.com/687653917983787/photos/a.687814071301105.1073741829.687653917983787/1254223611326812/?type=3

Says it here

Edited by Hellenic Hero
  • Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic