Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 hours ago, mus-28 said:

This had Marcel Meeuwis v2.0 written all over it. Would rather our Visa spots go to a genuine #10 and another defender, unless we're planning on playing 6 in midfield.

I disagree. This guy is clearly two classes above Meeuwis. I think the question is "Did we actually make an offer?" - of course we won't ever know the answer to that question.

IMO Central Coast have strengthened nicely for next season, and they will be no pushover.

Our remaining signings will be crucial to the final balance of our own squad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I disagree. This guy is clearly two classes above Meeuwis. I think the question is "Did we actually make an offer?" - of course we won't ever know the answer to that question.

IMO Central Coast have strengthened nicely for next season, and they will be no pushover.

Our remaining signings will be crucial to the final balance of our own squad.

He is definitely much better then Meeuwis, and if playing with one DM he would bench Kilkenny too. It might have just been bad reporting in the Netherlands as the same the articles who mentioned the Melbourne City offer have now just been changed to CCM. You know what the press can be like, they take over each other's news. On the other hand if Malik does leave he would have been such an improvement.

• Like 1

Bringing in a player that would theoretically bench Kilkenny is needless anyway, the guy was our most consistent performer last season.

I doubt we're exploring options at DM, as even if we sell Malik we've still got a number of guys that can fill in there if Neil or Brattan go down. Move Malik, get another CB and a #10 and we're fine.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Embee said:

Bringing in a player that would theoretically bench Kilkenny is needless anyway, the guy was our most consistent performer last season.

I doubt we're exploring options at DM, as even if we sell Malik we've still got a number of guys that can fill in there if Neil or Brattan go down. Move Malik, get another CB and a #10 and we're fine.

We also need a right back. The left wingers will destroy muscat for pace.

49 minutes ago, Embee said:

Okay fair point Embee, so what you reckon what happened? False reporting or we got outbid?

40 minutes ago, Chris p said:

I think Pierias deserves a shot there 

i was looking over the squad and i think it worth a shot.  we need to be trusting some of the younger talent to step up.  they arent going to get better without game time.

pierias---------la rocca-----------jakobsen----------jameison

is good enough for the AL.

also

kilkenny----------------mauk

-------------brattan

is a decent midifeld. mauk has the energy that we lacked last season.  and ive seen brattan good enough to hold the #10.  question is whether he can under wazza and his "no fancy stuff" mentality...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Okay fair point Embee, so what you reckon what happened? False reporting or we got outbid?

I'd suggest false reporting, I think it's easy enough for foreign media to link a player to us if they hear rumours that said player is looking at a move to Australia.

Edited by Embee

1 hour ago, Chris p said:

I think Pierias deserves a shot there 

He looked pretty good in his cameo.

Last week he scored 2 goals against Nunnawading, so he must have been the right winger, otherwise that's exceptional from RB.

• Like 1

A cheap replacement for Caceres, under the cap, not taking up a Visa spot, injury prone but proven quality, little risk for decent reward. Could prove foil for a Marquee No.10, or otherwise allow us to use the Marquee position on a quality CB and not Wes Brown, please God. A little concerning the number of Adelaide players we are signing though, where is Jeronimo at?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Panionara said:

A cheap replacement for Caceres, under the cap, not taking up a Visa spot, injury prone but proven quality, little risk for decent reward. Could prove foil for a Marquee No.10, or otherwise allow us to use the Marquee position on a quality CB and not Wes Brown, please God. A little concerning the number of Adelaide players we are signing though, where is Jeronimo at?

If Caceres needs to be replaced why was he let go at all 

• Like 1

Also perhaps a salary cap related move, if we could get Mauk and Carrusca for the same price as Caceres, arguably there is value there. 

As much as I liked Caceres, and believed in his potential, realistically he was probably only going to be a back up anyway.

Caceres had also previously mentioned wanting to try his luck overseas, who knows what agreement either contractual or oral he had with management, which would allow his move if the opportunity arose.

Why would we buy another DM - besides Kilkenny, Brattan, Malik (yeah) ? If we were really out bidded by Mariners, well localy owned clubs will spend more than CFG on such players.  It's easier to contract South American than Euro player, who would be also much older. Does Mabil want to reboot career? Better than Kamau! until he gets more strengh.  Muscat is not good enough for ambitions (fans). That's position for swift RB. Carrusca, there are no better domestic A league players available. Doesn't fit into development philosophy.  If we make World Cup, Timmy will play there. He won't be benched at this level.

49 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Why would we buy another DM - besides Kilkenny, Brattan, Malik (yeah) ? If we were really out bidded by Mariners, well localy owned clubs will spend more than CFG on such players.  It's easier to contract South American than Euro player, who would be also much older. Does Mabil want to reboot career? Better than Kamau! until he gets more strengh.  Muscat is not good enough for ambitions (fans). That's position for swift RB. Carrusca, there are no better domestic A league players available. Doesn't fit into development philosophy.  If we make World Cup, Timmy will play there. He won't be benched at this level.

Mabil is doing ok in Europe 

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

Mabil has just gone to a portugese club on loan, he is doing ok. Made a couple of socceroos squads

35 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

99.99% sure this guy is writing BS, but thought I'd post it 

Screenshot_20170730-203254.png

juicy.  who could it be?  most likely a free agent right?  maybe someone in china that is leaving cause of the shit.

Bořek Dočkal?  he is 28 though.

constantin budescu?  he is 28 as well

7 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Screenshot_20170730-213741.png

Screenshot_20170730-213745.png

Do we all know who Arth Mago is??

If all true it would confirm the idea of working with a moderate budget for marquee players, Martinez is just too expensive. Unless they want Nico under the cap of course.

Edited by Mr MO

37 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Let's face it, until it happens, we know two things for certain.  1. We'll sign somebody.  2. They might or might not be good.

Sign me, guaranteed not to be good

I'm over 50, injured and can take up space in the Germano Treatment centre , I'll just take basic wage, so I'll fit in under the cap

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Let's face it, until it happens, we know two things for certain.  1. We'll sign somebody.  2. They might or might not be good.

By my count of announced player contracts we have 16 players signed to the senior squad. The others have been announced as scholarship players. Even if we assume Brattan is/will be signed, and one of the 7 scholarship players promoted to the senior list, then that still brings us to only 18. The minimum number is 20, so by my reckoning we must sign at least two more players.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic