Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

PLEASE NO.

Wes Brown considering A-League opportunity

Wes Brown played 232 games for Manchester United and is currently looking for a club.

Brown was in Melbourne this week after playing in a 'Legends' game between Liverpool and Manchester United at AAMI Park which finished 3-1 the Red Devils’ way. It was the 37-year-old’s second visit to Australia, with his first coming all the way back in 1999 when United toured Melbourne and Sydney after being crowned FA Cup, Premier League and Champions League winners.

Former A-League players Luis Garcia and Emile Heskey were on Liverpool’s team earlier in the week and Brown said he had heard some good things about the competition.“There are a few things that I’m looking at, Melbourne is a great city to be in, the few days I’ve been and I’m keeping my options open,” Brown said this week. “I’m staying fit, there’s a few things happening but there’s nothing concrete yet and I’m still looking. “If anyone wants me, I can always do a job. “People say that (Australia isn’t a football nation) but Emile is a good friend of mine as well and he said the A-League was brilliant. It’s always been good feedback. “The A-League is on television back at home, we do get it over there.”

The former England international was also the last one off the pitch earlier in the week after taking the time to sign autographs and pose for photos with fans, saying it was “no problem”. He is currently living in Blackburn after his most recent stints for the Rovers and Sunderland. Brown also has fond memories of newly appointed Melbourne City coach Warren Joyce, whom he had experience with at United when he was the reserves coach. “Joycey’s a top man,” he said. “I hope he does well here and even when I was younger, he was at Man United and he’s always done a good job there. “He’s seen a lot of lads come through for the first team and hopefully he can do that here as well. “I had a great relationship with him like most of the staff. I was only a young lad myself when he was there, Man United is a good family club like that. “He can bring his experience; he can do what he’s done at Man United. If you see some it, a young player like, he knows he can improve him and try getting him into that first tier. It’s always an advantage knowing he’s done it for many years at a top club. “I know it’s his first season, but I’m sure he’ll be settling well and he’ll be getting everyone running as soon as the pre-season starts.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/wes-brown-considering-a-league-opportunity-469602

MELBOURNE City’s transfer merry-go-round continues apace, with Anthony Caceres departing for the UAE.

And there could be more departures to come.

Osama Malik has been linked to a club in Japan, while Luke Brattan still has not signed for 2017-18.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/anthony-caceres-leaves-melbourne-city-others-to-follow/news-story/617a349ef60eaaca1bb99cd7681e0ad1

40 minutes ago, haz said:

PLEASE NO.

Precisely why not? Would occupy a visa place, yes, but probably would come pretty cheap and do a job for a season and then become an assistant to Wazza - he already has the UEFA "A" qualification and is active in the Blackburn U-23's and Academy. Couldn't be worse than Malik.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Precisely why not? Would occupy a visa place, yes, but probably would come pretty cheap and do a job for a season and then become an assistant to Wazza - he already has the UEFA "A" qualification and is active in the Blackburn U-23's and Academy. Couldn't be worse than Malik.

Cheers JW didn't know that additonal info. It depends on who else CFG has looked at. Ofcourse brown has got experience but im just too scarred by all our previous CB injúries. The team that wins the comp will always have all 5 VISAs starting every week and performing.

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

A Martinez, Fornaroli, Brandan combination would be mouth watering

WSW have freed up a VISA spot. So depends if we offer him Marquee money.

12 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

MELBOURNE City’s transfer merry-go-round continues apace, with Anthony Caceres departing for the UAE.

Osama Malik has been linked to a club in Japan, while Luke Brattan still has not signed for 2017-18.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/anthony-caceres-leaves-melbourne-city-others-to-follow/news-story/617a349ef60eaaca1bb99cd7681e0ad1

Yes please take Malik (gurantee he'll leave then all our CB will be out with injuries)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, haz said:

Cheers JW didn't know that additonal info. It depends on who else CFG has looked at. Ofcourse brown has got experience but im just too scarred by all our previous CB injúries. The team that wins the comp will always have all 5 VISAs starting every week and performing.

He's had injuries of course. I'm not saying he'd be my choice in an ideal world, but I suspect that we do have salary cap issues and Brown might be a useful stop-gap.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He's had injuries of course. I'm not saying he'd be my choice in an ideal world, but I suspect that we do have salary cap issues and Brown might be a useful stop-gap.

Exactly, I just hope it would not be another Hughes

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

agree with this.  couldnt be worse than malik in central defence.   i dont expect joyce will have the central defenders moving about very much up the pitch.  and he would be great to help with the development of younger players

just look at the enormous influence patrick zwaanswijk had on the players around him huge.

22 minutes ago, haz said:

Exactly, I just hope it would not be another Hughes

maybe they could pin his wage to appearances...

14 minutes ago, nah brah said:

maybe they could pin his wage to appearances...

Dont know if rules allow it. Eitherway if he plays 90 minutes every game then we could go over the cap. Or have to sacifrce other salarys to guess if the player will make a certain number of apperances.

1 hour ago, bellydrum said:

I would actually be happy if we could ditch Malik. Not impressed with the last 2 seasons, poor foot skills, bad positioning and somebody of his height should be better in the air. On a positive note, he is a good bloke, nice hair and a good chant in stands. 

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I would actually be happy if we could ditch Malik. Not impressed with the last 2 seasons, poor foot skills, bad positioning and somebody of his height should be better in the air. On a positive note, he is a good bloke, nice hair and a good chant in stands. 

With you 100%. 

The blokes quite simply not a centre back. No idea where to be when and doesn't command the air like a bloke of his stature should. He's an A League average holding midfielder and that's it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Honestly can't see any tactical reason to keep Malik.  We're not short of defensive midfield options, particularly if Brattan stays, and he doesn't impress me as a central defender.  We could free up cap space to recruit in a number of places.

The hardest part of letting Malik go is which local or Australian players could you replace him with? We have let go so many players with incoming very limited. 

4 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

The hardest part of letting Malik go is which local or Australian players could you replace him with? We have let go so many players with incoming very limited. 

We don't need a replacement, more money towards a VISA CB

• Like 1

One goal is building the best starting eleven. Another priority is the squad depth. This is what we always lack. Do not start me with salary cup this and that. You can't win it without depth. Every premiers has got it. We always buy and then sell the player who plays in the same position. Instead of having them competing for the spot. We get nowhere with that practice. With that short and limited list club could win the Cup. But longer running league ? - you judge it.

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

One goal is building the best starting eleven. Another priority is the squad depth. This is what we always lack. Do not start me with salary cup this and that. You can't win it without depth. Every premiers has got it. We always buy and then sell the player who plays in the same position. Instead of having them competing for the spot. We get nowhere with that practice. With that short and limited list club could win the Cup. But longer running league ? - you judge it.

So what did we do with our depth last year? Load of bullshit, depth is the one thing we have covered

• Like 1

All these senior first team contracted players leaving is a good indication of Wazza shaping his squad in how he sees things. Thats assuming Malik goes. Franjic Caceras and Malik are basically matchday squad players and I'd say 2 of the 3 would start most weeks. So them going pretty much to me indicates Wazza didn't want/need them. Yes the cap space is a massive factor but ultimately its on the pitch were the decisions are made.

Under JVS /Valkanis I got the sense alot of the decisions were made from Manchester  (I have no evidence but just a feeling ) but I now feel Wazza is in total control. 

The cup game will be a good indication of how he wants to play. Very interesting times.

57 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'd be satisfied with Martinez. I didn't see too much of WSW last season but he looked a bloody tidy player from what I saw. Great on the dribble, had the ball on a string.

Can't shoot. But everything else is top notch. 

13 hours ago, haz said:

Dont know if rules allow it. Eitherway if he plays 90 minutes every game then we could go over the cap. Or have to sacifrce other salarys to guess if the player will make a certain number of apperances.

My understanding is that the agreement between FFA and the PFA is that all players must sign a "standard contract." Although quite how rigidly this is applied I don't know. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Sydney won the league last season with minimum depth, they had all their money in the first 11-13 players. They had no significant injuries, played the same eleven all season and made same subs every game. They only called on their 'depth' for suspensions. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

All these senior first team contracted players leaving is a good indication of Wazza shaping his squad in how he sees things. Thats assuming Malik goes. Franjic Caceras and Malik are basically matchday squad players and I'd say 2 of the 3 would start most weeks. So them going pretty much to me indicates Wazza didn't want/need them. Yes the cap space is a massive factor but ultimately its on the pitch were the decisions are made.

Under JVS /Valkanis I got the sense alot of the decisions were made from Manchester  (I have no evidence but just a feeling ) but I now feel Wazza is in total control. 

The cup game will be a good indication of how he wants to play. Very interesting times.

I think you're telling me that we took too long to recognise and act on what was wrong with City last season and that we should have selected and appointed our new coach long before we did. Irrespective of any culture issues at the club, CFG knew that JvS ' contract expired at the end of the season, and should have acted sooner than they finally did; they had months to sort it out. 

12 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Wes Brown would be like Aaron Hughes 2.0, no thanks. 

Aaron Hughes was apparently fit for quite a bit of his time with City - fit enough to be in the Northern Ireland squad for internationals. He just wasn't selected by JvS. He was just another visa player completely wasted - see Thomas Sorensen 2016/17.

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Aaron Hughes was apparently fit for quite a bit of his time with City - fit enough to be in the Northern Ireland squad for internationals. He just wasn't selected by JvS. He was just another visa player completely wasted - see Thomas Sorensen 2016/17.

But why not in that case?? I'm sure he would have done a better job than Malik! Bad attitude perhaps?

Just now, Hellenic Hero said:

But why not in that case?? I'm sure he would have done a better job than Malik! Bad attitude perhaps?

I have no idea. It's been said a few times on here that to win the A-League you need to have your five visa players on the park as often as possible and preferably for every match. Some of the decisions taken in our team selection are simply inexplicable.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Wanderers fans are pretty confident of resigning Martinez especially now Borda has been given the ass. 

Wasn't Martinez their marquee last year? I thought they've already filled their marquee spots with those Spanish players.

• jw1739 pinned this topic