Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

With Mauk on board I wonder whether we will now bother with Luke Brattan?

3 minutes ago, haz said:

For once I agree. If Caceras does leave, we have seriously gone backwards in the last 3 days. Hopefully the club has something up their sleeve

If we really want Caceres we will have have contacted his agent as soon as the situation became clear with Troisi. The alarm bells would have been ringing Tuesday morning as soon as Troisi didn't show up at CFA for the signing and PR shoot.

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We'll be lucky to match last season's limp performance without a good number 10. Our whole forward play was ineffective because we didn't replace Mooy. We currently have no number 10 at all

People keep reminding me that it's still only 26th July and there's plenty of time before the season starts. For once I'm confident that if we really want a quality no. 10 then we will get one. CFG is not a stupid organisation. It has dealt with enough players and agents not to have staked everything on James Troisi, especially after the Maccabi Haifa business.

Edited by jw1739

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

People keep reminding me that it's still only 26th July and there's plenty of time before the season starts. For once I'm confident that if we really want a quality no. 10 then we will get one. CFG is not a stupid organisation. It has dealt with enough players and agents not to have staked everything on James Troisi, especially after the Maccabi Haifa business.

Yes, it is but European Leagues and South American Leagues are about to start their seasons and the pool of decent number 10s is rapidly shrinking

good, now sign a fucking marquee that deserves the money
we shouldn't be wasting a marquee spot on a mediocre player just because we want their slightly above average wage in the cap (colazo)

@InMyHeart           "Berisha
VISA LW             Kosta Barba
          Troisi
Milligan - Valeri
  Their Mid 3 alone shits on ours"
That's 3 marquees 

Edited by Thrillhouse

We will have our targets, remember 2 weeks ago we all thought troisi was off to Israel, so it's not like it's been him or nothing

Would like something to be done soon though, as we don't want the squad needing time to gel until Christmas again 

1 minute ago, neio said:

We will have our targets, remember 2 weeks ago we all thought troisi was off to Israel, so it's not like it's been him or nothing

Would like something to be done soon though, as we don't want the squad needing time to gel until Christmas again 

With all due respect, our squad gelled immediately and got worse as it went on...

The gelling thing can be a bit of a myth imo

• Like 1

not sure the gelling got worse - but the other coaches saw what we did to victory and changed the way they played against us. We were rarely left open space to do as we pleased.

This was a coaching issue - understanding what plan a is, but then having a plan b which deals with the obvious change up from opponents. 

2 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

not sure the gelling got worse - but the other coaches saw what we did to victory and changed the way they played against us. We were rarely left open space to do as we pleased.

This was a coaching issue - understanding what plan a is, but then having a plan b which deals with the obvious change up from opponents. 

Agreed, but I was more pointing out that time spent together doesnt necessarily equate to success. 

caceras officially gone?

Dont mind this tbo - pretty average player who is just too slow for a physical league like ours.Kinda reminds me of a (extremely) poor version of NYC's Pirlo who hasnt adapted too well at MLS level either. 

Just gotta hope we can get good replacements for him and the Troisi spot.

13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Agreed, but I was more pointing out that time spent together doesnt necessarily equate to success. 

absolutely - look how how little time the european clubs get - actual 'training' at the base with all of the home comforts/it data etc etc - most of the pre-seaons players are either away, on international duty or playing silly friendlies around the world with half or quarter strength teams after going out the night before to LA/Beijing/NYC's night posts lol.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Oh, you mean just like marriage...

Exactly like that. You going on 7 Year Switch this year JW?

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Nico is a good player but there a big circle jerk about him for some reason on here that I can't explain

I think he's a good player and perfectly fits the role we need, a la Troisi. Can we do better? Probably but as @Embee said, we can't afford to fuck this marquee up.

Just now, jw1739 said:

The time for that is long gone mate. The mind is still willing, it's just the other parts that are a bit slow to move these days.

Pretty much the opposite to the sorts that go on that show then. Chin up lad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Exactly like that. You going on 7 Year Switch this year JW?

I think he's a good player and perfectly fits the role we need, a la Troisi. Can we do better? Probably but as @Embee said, we can't afford to fuck this marquee up.

Oh he's a very tidy player. I just don't recall much end product from him but in saying that he scored 4 goals and provided 8 assists. I'm very much 50/50 in my opinion of him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Oh he's a very tidy player. I just don't recall much end product from him but in saying that he scored 4 goals and provided 8 assists. I'm very much 50/50 in my opinion of him. 

Not the worst numbers in a dogshit team, especially given they haven't had much around him in the final third.

I'd like to think getting a guy of his quality and giving him options like Bruno, Brandan, Fitzy and Cahill would lead to us getting even more out of him than he displayed at WSW, which was still pretty good.

4 minutes ago, Embee said:

Not the worst numbers in a dogshit team, especially given they haven't had much around him in the final third.

I'd like to think getting a guy of his quality and giving him options like Bruno, Brandan, Fitzy and Cahill would lead to us getting even more out of him than he displayed at WSW, which was still pretty good.

His numbers suprised me a little. They're not great by any stretch of the imagination but better than I thought. 

From memory, the games i saw of Martinez i recall him having great dribbling and passing ability, but a bit of a dodgy shot. Lefty as well i think which adds a slightly different perspective. 

Recall at the time thinking he is what we needed in our team. 

Quite apart from the other issues, (marquee, no. 10, etc.) I hope we are also looking at the Mature Age Rookie option for an additional defender.

"Clubs can pay a Mature Age Rookie outside the Salary Cap to encourage talented players in the National Premier Leagues. This player must be over the age of 21, not played in a fully professional competition for the last 18 months and last played football in Australia. This player must be paid at least the Minimum Salary."

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Quite apart from the other issues, (marquee, no. 10, etc.) I hope we are also looking at the Mature Age Rookie option for an additional defender.

"Clubs can pay a Mature Age Rookie outside the Salary Cap to encourage talented players in the National Premier Leagues. This player must be over the age of 21, not played in a fully professional competition for the last 18 months and last played football in Australia. This player must be paid at least the Minimum Salary."

Augustine Sokan?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Germano 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Me.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/aleague-loses-young-star-anthony-caceres-to-the-middle-east/news-story/ad62dc33ea3ae8d87c258e647a33980c

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/07/26/manchester-city-midfielder-flies-to-dubai-to-finalise-move-to-uae-side-al-wasl/

At first I thought it was BS but not seeing him at our last friendly made me think about rumors of cac leaving. Unfortunately ( for most city fans),although not made official yet by the club, it's true that our most talented midfielder is leaving Melbourne.

I saw "tuna" fornaroli this morning and talking to him he believes that Cac did the right thing by accepting the offer to play in the middle east. He said: " not only financially it is a very attractive offer but that the football played in that region is very south American due to the influence of the coach ( Argentinian) and lots of south American players. It really suits Anthony's style.

He also said that he already misses him not only because he's a great player but most important , a great person to have around. Tuna's word's : " not the same without him, I used to laugh at the incredible skills during training sessions. None of us or in the a-league has the touch and skills of Anthony ". He also admitted that Cas was treated unfairly due to players who aren't better but have a tag.

Really sad to see him go. Unlike a minority of this forum, I believe it's a big, big loss. Had great moments on the field where he showed uncommon technique for the HAL but as tuna said due to other political issues, he was never allowed consistency and given a fair chance to reach his full potential at city.

Wish Anthony the best and like myself, many fans who enjoy good quality football believe that Cac will be very successful over seas.

Edited by DAM10
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

... due to other political issues, he was never allowed consistency and given a fair chance to reach his full potential at city.

Wish Anthony the best and like myself, many fans who enjoy good quality football believe that Cac will be very successful over seas.

...fuk you're full of bs. This alone needs to go in the bullshit thread.

Perhaps he just didn't take his chances when they were given to him...

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, rass said:

...fuk you're full of bs. This alone needs to go in the bullshit thread.

Perhaps he just didn't take his chances when they were given to him...

Some insider on this forum leaked that DAM10 is actually Anthony's girlfriend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAM10 said:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/aleague-loses-young-star-anthony-caceres-to-the-middle-east/news-story/ad62dc33ea3ae8d87c258e647a33980c

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/07/26/manchester-city-midfielder-flies-to-dubai-to-finalise-move-to-uae-side-al-wasl/

At first I thought it was BS but not seeing him at our last friendly made me think about rumors of cac leaving. Unfortunately ( for most city fans),although not made official yet by the club, it's true that our most talented midfielder is leaving Melbourne.

I saw "tuna" fornaroli this morning and talking to him he believes that Cac did the right thing by accepting the offer to play in the middle east. He said: " not only financially it is a very attractive offer but that the football played in that region is very south American due to the influence of the coach ( Argentinian) and lots of south American players. It really suits Anthony's style.

He also said that he already misses him not only because he's a great player but most important , a great person to have around. Tuna's word's : " not the same without him, I used to laugh at the incredible skills during training sessions. None of us or in the a-league has the touch and skills of Anthony ". He also admitted that Cas was treated unfairly due to players who aren't better but have a tag.

Really sad to see him go. Unlike a minority of this forum, I believe it's a big, big loss. Had great moments on the field where he showed uncommon technique for the HAL but as tuna said due to other political issues, he was never allowed consistency and given a fair chance to reach his full potential at city.

See ya Anthony, have fun mate

• Like 1

5 hours ago, n i k o said:

another player that we wont win shit with.

time for the club to bring in mustafa amini.

What's people's thoughts on that some media have reported that our marque wages are capped to certain level like max 500k-700k a season. Is this maybe why we looked at players like Troisi because they fit the bill?

We can't just spend what we want, CFG works with budgets.

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

What's people's thoughts on that some media have reported that our marque wages are capped to certain level like max 500k-700k a season. Is this maybe why we looked at players like Troisi because they fit the bill?

We can't just spend what we want, CFG works with budgets.

Sorry mate but I wouldn't take what's put in the media as fact. 

Obviously we have a budget but since CFG took over all the Marquee deals and contracts have been case by case. Eg Fornaroli is reported at over 1 million and Cahill although FFA paid a big chunk of the guest money CFG still had a bit to cover. 

So to say that we will get only a 700k player is shear speculation on allegded previous deals. 

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Sorry mate but I wouldn't take what's put in the media as fact. 

Obviously we have a budget but since CFG took over all the Marquee deals and contracts have been case by case. Eg Fornaroli is reported at over 1 million and Cahill although FFA paid a big chunk of the guest money CFG still had a bit to cover. 

So to say that we will get only a 700k player is shear speculation on allegded previous deals. 

Yeah true, but why settle on 500k with Troisi? Knowing that you can get better than him for a little more money.

A foreign marquee player still counts to the 5 visa players rule right?

Edited by Mr MO

• jw1739 pinned this topic