Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

6 minutes ago, Embee said:

I just think you're impossible to please to be honest. "If we're having to release players and sign cheaper ones because of salary cap problems then I'm not impressed", so you'd rather us not address issues or try to improve the squad? I just don't get it. Regardless of what the club seems to do you find a negative in it and if they then adjust what they've done and try to correct the negative you've complained about you then complain about the solution, it's an endless circle of moaning

I can't stand Mauk and regardless of what he does for the club that won't change too much, but I can also put those feelings aside to admit that he's a good enough player that if we can get him in on a lowish wage and move out an equivalent level player on higher wages then it's a solid move.

I'm not going to go sifting through posts but I'm going to go out on a limb (although I don't think it's a very long shot) and say that you were probably one of the dissenting voices when it came to Franjic's return compared to expectation, as I was, and now you're complaining he hasn't been replaced a week after he left? And as far as Retre, I didn't mind him but he was simply squad filler, a replacement for Retre is effectively a body.

Victory are about to lose two of their best players from last season (Troisi and Rojas), Sydney sold the best keeper in the league and currently only posses Redmayne, every squad has issues they still need to be addressed. If we had some of those issues in our squad you'd probably be as much if not more than you are now.

Victory are currently just sifting through past players they can sign

31 minutes ago, n i k o said:

No comment on his comparison to Mauk but I completely disagree with the rest of your post in terms of what your insinuating. My opinion of the situation is at that exact point when we all wanted him to take that 'next step' what happened? More often than not he was given what appeared to be a role change or he was benched. And his terrific performances extend beyond just his month in March and last week.

Think back to preseason lasted year and put yourself in his position...in that playmaker role you single handedly stand out and carry us through some of our earlier FFA Cup games. Throughout the season when you've taken on this same role you shine through and are the spark to our forward attack.  Then you get jerked around throughout the season whenever youve shown your capabilities because of brain dead 'tactical' reasons cause the coach wants you to impact the game later. What would go through your head knowing you've shown your capabilities to impact games when given faith to do so. I know I would be screaming out to just give me a chance, give me some consistency to do this again and again. And don't bench me if I have one game a little bit off cause I know I'll produce. This was another problem that also impacted other players, this chopping and changing based on one average prior performance. 

I don't promise anything with where or how good Caceras would be. He could flop for all I know. But with the evidence that was at hand he deserved more consistent opportunity to prove himself capable. 

Fair enough, this is all subjective at the end of the day.

Look I'm certainly not disputing that Caceres was mismanaged throughout the season, that game against Brisbane when everyone was suspended he stood up terrifically well and had solid form for the next month yet kept finding himself behind non performing players like Brattan regardless. That can only be incredibly frustrating and disheartening when you come to the realisation that form is irrelevant.
Personally id argue that he didnt shine through though anywhere near as often or as brightly as some others would believe and would often have absolutely no impact in some games. I 100% agree with your last sentence, but with the caveat that in my opinion his exposed form when given the chance was not overwhelming, in the same way that Brattan's opening month was not reflective of his whole season either.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Fair enough, this is all subjective at the end of the day.

Look I'm certainly not disputing that Caceres was mismanaged throughout the season, that game against Brisbane when everyone was suspended he stood up terrifically well and had solid form for the next month yet kept finding himself behind non performing players like Brattan regardless. That can only be incredibly frustrating and disheartening when you come to the realisation that form is irrelevant.
Personally id argue that he didnt shine through though anywhere near as often or as brightly as some others would believe and would often have absolutely no impact in some games. I 100% agree with your last sentence, but with the caveat that in my opinion his exposed form when given the chance was not overwhelming, in the same way that Brattan's opening month was not reflective of his whole season either.

Most comments on this forum are wholly subjective. And the only next step to taking this discussion further would be to look deeper into those moments when he did or didn't perform and see if there is a pattern leading up to that performance (game time prior, roles played etc.) which I'd do only if someone was paying me by the hour which unfortunatey isn't the case. Thereby we've probably hit a stalemate with the Caceras discussion. 

Just now, n i k o said:

Most comments on this forum are wholly subjective. And the only next step to taking this discussion further would be to look deeper into those moments when he did or didn't perform and see if there is a pattern leading up to that performance (game time prior, roles played etc.) which I'd do only if someone was paying me by the hour which unfortunatey isn't the case. Thereby we've probably hit a stalemate with the Caceras discussion. 

C'mon Niko, you know full well people are happy to declare things as 'fact' rather than opinion on this forum without any actual evidence to back it up!

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Fuck that shit, charity fight at the first home game!

Just now, GreenSeater said:

Such a waste

"Caceres, 24, had hoped for a breakthrough season at Melbourne City after a frustrating time as a fringe player following his move last year from Central Coast Mariners, but the club's recent decision to recruit Olyroos midfielder Stefan Mauk and their active pursuit of Socceroos playmaker James Troisi has convinced him to seek opportunities elsewhere."

Seems We have signed Mauk too judging by that.

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Can he sign a loan deal after already being on loan.

IMO all parties have to agree on it. Manchester City who own his contract, Melbourne City because we have a loan agreement, and Caceres himself.

This is good for two reasons, firstly bringing in an equivalent player on lesser money to free up cash to strengthen elsewhere and also for the reactions we're gonna get to see from Plamaker and Mrs.Caceres

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, demba said:

Expect a player signing announcement either tonight or tomorrow at the jersey release.  Heard it from the horses mouth. 

I'll be waiting for a green line too. 

I can also confirm their will be players signed in the next month or so. 

1 hour ago, DFG_82 said:

Good. 

Caceras is no good.  Hes just too invisible through games,  I can't believe the circle jerk going on over him in this thread.  Mauk is double the player that he is,  this is such a good upgrade,  I couldn't be happier. 

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

Not a huge loss, if we sign Troisi we're very massively overloaded with central midfield talent with Caceres, Brattan, Cahill, Kilkenny. 

Again seems like a season where we just sign the players and hope that it can work out in the end without any thought on positional strengths and weaknesses in our squad. Only way I can see it working is if we revert to the 3-4-3 that Chelsea used so successfully last season with 2 attacking midfielders given free reign behind Fornaroli. We'd still need to pick up another quality defender with a bit of pace who can play in the back 3. Only issue is it makes Kamau redundant unless he can adapt his game as he's very one dimensional as an out and out winger.

Galekovic

Tongyik - Jakobsen - VISA

Fitzy - Brattan - Kilkenny - Jamieson

Troisi - Cahill

Fornaroli

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

I am convinced this club is fkn stupid.

Agree, Mauk is at a similar level but has the attitude issues that Caceras lacks, it's hard to see him as a substantial improvement. Strange decision really. Still haven't seen anything that will have me renew my season ticket

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic