Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 hours ago, DukeVader said:

You think with Wazzas youth coach background he might actually give a Tongyik a chance over a La Rocca? Even Arzani more of a crack? 

if arzani is worth his beans he will either be playing or leaving this year.  I would like to see him fighting with caceres for that role.

Caceres is very good futsal player. Tongyik would play in EPL or Championship. Brattan on the bench in Aleague ? Timmy socceroos on the bench with this squad? We couldn't create a chance last year and that segment hasn't changed yet. Who knows, maybe Jamieson is not to play his position. We crammed Malik, Rocca type of players. Seems not going to play glorious MC FC beautiful game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

Caceres is very good futsal player. Tongyik would play in EPL or Championship. Brattan on the bench in Aleague ? Timmy socceroos on the bench with this squad? We couldn't create a chance last year and that segment hasn't changed yet. Who knows, maybe Jamieson is not to play his position. We crammed Malik, Rocca type of players. Seems not going to play glorious MC FC beautiful game.

Maybe it comes down to needing a awsome as fuck culture before needing a stylish "beautiful" football game plan

2 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Whose multi is this?

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

Maybe it comes down to needing a awsome as fuck culture before needing a stylish "beautiful" football game plan

I don't think I've heard the phrase "beautiful football" for quite a while - probably since the demise of the "City Voice" surveys on same. I rather doubt that the phrase is in Wazza's lexicon.

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think I've heard the phrase "beautiful football" for quite a while - probably since the demise of the "City Voice" surveys on same. I rather doubt that the phrase is in Wazza's lexicon.

I hope not, but im sure with the players we have it wont be totally dismissed. And surely if you win the double nobody cares if you play beautiful football, I sure as hell wont. 

32 minutes ago, neio said:

That seems a bloody odd choice by him, anyone know the strength of the Israel league?

probably similar to here. It means that he'll get to play regularly and likely to also play Europa Cup. Nikita Rukavitysa has been playing in the Israeli League and scoring so it can't be that strong

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Cahill to probably be Marquee 

That would make a lot of sense to me. 

32 minutes ago, neio said:

That seems a bloody odd choice by him, anyone know the strength of the Israel league?

Ranked 19th in UEFA. http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

Maccabi Haifa finished 6th out of 14 in the Israel Premier League 2016/17.

1 INS is equal to 36 cents Australian. Between 25 and 28 cents US over the past couple of years.

30 minutes ago, neio said:

To be honest, it's not too bad a move given that the top three teams at the end of the season make a European competition (1st: Champions League second round qualifying, 2nd & 3rd: Europa League first round qualifying).

Domestically, he's signed for a former powerhouse who were regular league champions alongside Maccabi Tel Aviv and Hapoel Tel Aviv a decade ago, more recently though, the league has become more even with 'smaller clubs' taking the title. Yossi Benayoun (Israel's most capped player) is a club legend there and helped them qualify for the Champions League as well as win the title during the late 90's early 00's.

Continentally, Maccabi Haifa have been in and out of the Champions League (and Europa League) over the past decade but struggled - they did have a famous win over Man Utd in 2002 though!

All in all, time will tell if it's been a good move I guess...

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

On what planet does Cahill to be marquee make any level of sense whatsoever?

If he's inside the cap it restricts our ability to bring 2-3 quality players on board. If he's outside the cap then that same restriction does not apply. Of course, if we have a top-notch marquee lined up then that's fine, and TC has to stay inside the cap. But what position are we looking at for such a marquee if there is one?

Of course I don't know the precise wage details of every player. But ATM it appears to me as though TC being inside the cap on c. $400,000 isn't doing us any favours on signing other players inside the cap.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

On what planet does Cahill to be marquee make any level of sense whatsoever?

if he's getting paid more than the reported 400K it would , Colazo was Marquee and on 600K,maybe the club doesn't want to spend big on a marquee better to have his wage outside the cap if that's the case 

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If he's inside the cap it restricts our ability to bring 2-3 quality players on board. If he's outside the cap then that same restriction does not apply. Of course, if we have a top-notch marquee lined up then that's fine, and TC has to stay inside the cap. But what position are we looking at for such a marquee if there is one?

Of course I don't know the precise wage details of every player. But ATM it appears to me as though TC being inside the cap on c. $400,000 isn't doing us any favours on signing other players inside the cap.

That's all assuming the 400k figure is even correct, and even if it is, like i mentioned earlier we can probably siphon off 14 games of Tim's wage via the 14 game guest stint anyway. That in itself is under the assumption that the club didnt know what they were doing in the first place ; i personally think they would have had a plan from the get go re making sure Tim under the cap wasnt going to hamstring them when it comes to signing players.

The other side of the argument is Tim at marquee anyway. If we werent prepared to pick him up as marquee last year when he genuinely was one, I dont see any rationale to use that spot on him in his last season when other options available. Using both your marquee spots on strikers doesnt seem that wise...
I'd have thought it was pretty bloody obvious to everyone that a CAM and a CB are our main deficiencies in the squad and i fully expect our two visa spots to go there, meaning in all likelihood our marquee spot goes to the CAM. The only other spot i could see us using a visa spot on is another winger, and imo thats only for a speculative punt if we are struggling for cap space.

10 hours ago, DFG_82 said:

if he's getting paid more than the reported 400K it would , Colazo was Marquee and on 600K,maybe the club doesn't want to spend big on a marquee better to have his wage outside the cap if that's the case 

I cant buy that CFG wont fork out for a marquee at all. Even if they want to tighten the purse strings, that will come in the form of a 600k marquee rather than a 1m one imo. CFG and the club know they have perception issues with the fans as is, holding out on signings would be a PR disaster at this point in time. I'm not from the 'CFG are rich, buy us Honda' school at all, those blokes are rich because they know how to spend their money, but not using the spots as expected now would jeopardise their entire investment so i dont think they'd be that stupid.

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I dont think people realise that good quality a league players are on around 400-500k a year, including most if not all VISA players. So cahill being inside the cap is going to have minimal impact.

If you divide that number into the cap figure you don't end up with 23 players....

9 minutes ago, Dylan said:

not every player in an aleague squad is in that 'good quality' bracket mate

Who inside the cap would you rate in that category in our current squad and therefore worth $400,000?

Edited by jw1739

Just now, jw1739 said:

Who inside the cap would you rate in that category in our current squad and therefore worth $400,000?

You would find that Kilkenny, Brattan, Fernando Jackobsen Franjic and Galekovic would be in or around that bracket. What I disagree with you is that if Cahill was marquee youd be able to bring in 2-3 quality players. There is no way thats possible. 

12 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

WTF!!!! Im not sure that this is real! But if he has joined Maccabi that cant be great from a Socceroos point of view! You'd have to think its all about the mighty $ for him. 

Thats disappointing 

20170716_220418.png

Ange tends to never forget those players he trusts. But considering Rukavytsya is at the same club and I haven't heard of his name, anywhere, in a couple of years. this surely isn't a great move for this Troisi's Socceroos career. He's A-League quality but I don't like him, not bummed on missing out. 

Shocked by the Honda Mexico move. Most be some serious coin in that league with he and Ginac there. 

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

You would find that Kilkenny, Brattan, Fernando Jackobsen Franjic and Galekovic would be in or around that bracket. What I disagree with you is that if Cahill was marquee youd be able to bring in 2-3 quality players. There is no way thats possible. 

The mechanics of the salary cap are interesting but it is nigh on impossible to work out the true state of a team's salary cap. We know that we spent more than $9 million last season, and we know some individual figures, but that's it.

Moving $400k out of the cap probably allows for us to sign two average players. It's been reported that the average A-league player earns about $180k. Whether this includes marquees or youth players I'm not sure (so it could actually be more or less), but you're dead right in saying that we couldn't add 2-3 quality players. JW said that it restricts our ability to, which in some sense is correct, but even so, with the guest rules and other deductions there is no way of knowing whether it is a full $400k going straight into the cap.

As BT said above, CFG will have done their homework and likely know the most effective way of fitting players in.

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

The mechanics of the salary cap are interesting but it is nigh on impossible to work out the true state of a team's salary cap. We know that we spent more than $9 million last season, and we know some individual figures, but that's it.

Moving $400k out of the cap probably allows for us to sign two average players. It's been reported that the average A-league player earns about $180k. Whether this includes marquees or youth players I'm not sure (so it could actually be more or less), but you're dead right in saying that we couldn't add 2-3 quality players. JW said that it restricts our ability to, which in some sense is correct, but even so, with the guest rules and other deductions there is no way of knowing whether it is a full $400k going straight into the cap.

As BT said above, CFG will have done their homework and likely know the most effective way of fitting players in.

I'm sure that CFG have some very "Creative Accountants" who know the most effective ways of ensuring that the wages stay within the cap

If they don't have the above mentioned, "  " I'm happy to take on a consulting role , for a sizeable fee, to help out

16 minutes ago, Harrison said:

double post

Edited by japiedog

This whole discussion about Cahill taking up the vacant Marquee spot is a bit obtuse. 

It's been stated clearly that he will be in the cap this season and move into a coaching role next. The amount is unknown as is the rest of the squads payment. 

All what is important as I see it is that the 2 remaining visa spots are filled by genuine starting first 11 players and a quality Marquee. I'm really confident these positions will be filled. My confidence is based on CFG record so far of more hits than misses.

We have so far signed 3 solid to strong players to strengthen our defence in Galekovic Jamieson and La Rocca which has been weak and vulnerable. As individuals you can argue that they are average or underwhelming but as a trio they look solid and complement the existing Jakobsen Franjic Bouzanis Tongyik. Another Visa player in there and seriously who can argue. But if not that still is a dam decent list to call upon.

CFG would have been calculating to last dollar what they can or can't do so the Marquee spot therefore will 100% filled by a player that is Not Tim Cahill. 

The 2 Visa spots will be filled. What is unknown even for CFG is how these 3 players will adapt to Australia. Obviously they are going to try a get the best available for the $ amount that fits the need but with all players new to a club it's unknown. 

So from where I sit this looks like a calm methodical slow build and by round 1 we will have our best balanced squad to date.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

I called the ffa in the morning to ask whether the full season guest player rule will be rolled over to the 2017/2018 season. They replied with an email stating that the rule was only approved for last season and will not be an option for next season.

Worth noting that its possible a guest stint player could be under the cap for the remaining part of the season after the inital 14 games, obv subject to FFA approval :rolleyes:

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Worth noting that its possible a guest stint player could be under the cap for the remaining part of the season after the inital 14 games, obv subject to FFA approval :rolleyes:

Even so if push came to shove and we brought in a player such as KaKa or in that ilk, they would quickly introduce the rule back to the full season again. 

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Even so if push came to shove and we brought in a player such as KaKa Sneijder or in that ilk, they would quickly introduce the rule back to the full season again. 

FTFY

(CFG to hijack the bid to LA to not allow their MLS opponent to strengthen)

Edited by haz

• jw1739 pinned this topic