Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

The Troisi to NYC idea could actually carry some serious weight tbh. Speculative scenario obv, but as far as I know could work within the rules…

NYC sign Troisi on a low weekly wage, but the contract is loaded with appearance bonuses for NYC only. He then plays the rest of the MLS season out with them (they have one visa slot open) and goes on to get loaned out to us from October at the conclusion of the MLS season. He’d be on a low base wage, which given how the loan rules work so he comes here under the cap until the A League season finishes. There is only a six week gap between MLS starting and A-League finishing, so NYC could recall him at the end of the A League season and conceivably only not have him available for 3-6 games…

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Timmy has the marquee status inside the club, alpha and omega in the locker room. Any domestic marquee would need to play second fiddle. It's not just about the money, which is not big here anyway. Is Troisi that kind of guy? NYC get better players.

I would be pretty sure Wazza would deal with that pretty quickly if it had any negative effect on the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

I would be pretty sure Wazza would deal with that pretty quickly if it had any negative effect on the team.

i thought that was one of his sellling points.  'cause he's a hard english carnt with a hodgson stamp.

so we're playing friendlies next tuesday.. you would hope that there were signings in for this.  also our cup defence starts.

On 11/07/2017 at 10:53 AM, japiedog said:

bullshit rumour floating around

Milos Degenek is possible signing

sauce?

honestly, that would explain the switch to japan.  either that or milos wanted to establish his proficiency against high level asian opponenets to help lock in his spot with the NT.

Edited by nah brah

16 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Timmy has the marquee status inside the club, alpha and omega in the locker room. Any domestic marquee would need to play second fiddle. It's not just about the money, which is not big here anyway. Is Troisi that kind of guy? NYC get better players.

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

Is Cahill even back at CFA yet?

Just now, Dylan said:

Tim is on only 500k 

Where did you get that figure from? I've seen a few articles suggest He would be on less than 400k this season.  

Uriel Antuna sold to City Football Group but won't play for NYCFC. Some People Online suggesting He could go to Melbourne. 

12 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Where did you get that figure from? I've seen a few articles suggest He would be on less than 400k this season.  

Uriel Antuna sold to City Football Group but won't play for NYCFC. Some People Online suggesting He could go to Melbourne. 

I'm assuming it's the 19 year old Mexican,  we may not be allowed to even if we wanted to.  There was a rule about under 21 visa players not bring allowed. Dont know if it still exists 

Just now, neio said:

I'm assuming it's the 19 year old Mexican,  we may not be allowed to even if we wanted to.  There was a rule about under 21 visa players not bring allowed. Dont know if it still exists 

I think it does. Putting it another way, I haven't seen any notice of a change.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Tim is on only 500k 

Even it's less let's say 400k a year. 

Is one squad player worth 12 to 15% of the cap (one who can't play 90minutes)?

Knowing that you are restricting yourself in signing 2 or 3 descent players on 150-200k? I think there is a problem there and they stuffed up.

1 hour ago, neio said:

So we can only bring visa players in aged over 21?

15 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

probably a way to make sure clubs blood in young Australian footballers as aposed to developing another countries player

Which is absurd when you consider that the Visa limitations on foreign players would do this effectively. A club isn't going to waste a Visa spot on a young foreigner of dubious pedigree just to 'see how he develops'.

One of the things I had hoped to see as part of the CFG takeover were some of the future EPL stars from Manchester's academy from time to time.

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Even it's less let's say 400k a year. 

Is one squad player worth 12 to 15% of the cap (one who can't play 90minutes)?

Knowing that you are restricting yourself in signing 2 or 3 descent players on 150-200k? I think there is a problem there and they stuffed up.

So we can only bring visa players in aged over 21?

1 - What he's on under the cap is speculation, no-one external to the club really knows.

2 - If the guest marquee rule doesnt exist for the full season, it could be used  for 14 games to effectively circumvent a large part of what comes under the cap

3 - This is CFG, they've already got the loan rules sussed so that they can pay 'extras' to sign players on low wages, hence Brattan last season. They'll figure it out.

4, and least important point - Cahill was outstanding for us last season, despite being played out of position in most games. Without him, we simply dont have a trophy yet, and don't have the pleasure of watching one of Australia's greatest ever footballers grace our pitch even if it is in his twilight years..

• Like 5

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

1 - What he's on under the cap is speculation, no-one external to the club really knows.

2 - If the guest marquee rule doesnt exist for the full season, it could be used  for 14 games to effectively circumvent a large part of what comes under the cap

3 - This is CFG, they've already got the loan rules sussed so that they can pay 'extras' to sign players on low wages, hence Brattan last season. They'll figure it out.

4, and least important point - Cahill was outstanding for us last season, despite being played out of position in most games. Without him, we simply dont have a trophy yet, and don't have the pleasure of watching one of Australia's greatest ever footballers grace our pitch even if it is in his twilight years..

Yeah, I hope so on point 1 to 3!  On 4, I agree on the trophy part but besides his goals from a footballing aspect in open play it is poor. 

6 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Which is absurd when you consider that the Visa limitations on foreign players would do this effectively. A club isn't going to waste a Visa spot on a young foreigner of dubious pedigree just to 'see how he develops'.

One of the things I had hoped to see as part of the CFG takeover were some of the future EPL stars from Manchester's academy from time to time.

Remember some expected miracles as well last December with injury replacements and replacing Chapman, nothing happened. This Brazilian kid will to go Girona in the Primiera Divison, this club will be highest club in the picking order of CFG to stall and develop players for the Premier League. Even NAC Breda in the Netherlands will get 5 young loan players from Man City next season. 

None of this is CFG's fault. All these restrictions lie firmly at the feet of FFA. It is FFA that is doing a disservice to our club, all the other clubs, to the fans, to the game. Who's going to invest in Australian football with all these restrictions?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yeah, I hope so on point 1 to 3!  On 4, I agree on the trophy part but besides his goals from a footballing aspect in open play it is poor. 

Absolutely he went missing in large parts of games, but he still scored 11 in 22 games, none of which were pens. And quite a decent chunk of those games he played around 60 or less. It's a far better return than Bruno on pure numbers. Ultimately he struggled somewhat in the midfield role, but imo thats more the fault of the gaffers than Tim himself ie being played out of position.

I'm not saying he's better than Bruno by any stretch, but i definitely think you'd have to consider him a success overall. Who knows, with a decent manager we might get an even better return this year.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

Cahill hasn't been signed purely for his on-field contributions, although remember he was our second biggest scorer last season. He also contributes off the pitch and there's a political dimension to his signing. Even though City has been conspicuously quiet in all the turmoil in the franchises negotiations with FFA, it hasn't escaped my notice that things have really stepped up a gear since CFG became involved in the league. 

Remember that CFG also have plans for Cahill after his playing career so his current contributions should be put into context

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Cahill hasn't been signed purely for his on-field contributions, although remember he was our second biggest scorer last season. He also contributes off the pitch and there's a political dimension to his signing. Even though City has been conspicuously quiet in all the turmoil in the franchises negotiations with FFA, it hasn't escaped my notice that things have really stepped up a gear since CFG became involved in the league. 

Remember that CFG also have plans for Cahill after his playing career so his current contributions should be put into context

We don't have all the long term business vision & strategy, I'm a football fan, a person who enjoys the game and pays for memberships now. Is my membership getting cheaper over the years, do I get dividend pay out, do I get a discount because TC is on TV with a smart refrigerator? It hate so see seasons being wasted.

I'm only speculating but if we are struggling within the salary cap to accommodate for Tim Cahill, thus failure to sign other players - all because of the long term vision, well why can't they back pay Timmy next year when he is part of the coaching staff?

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

22 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We don't have all the long term business vision & strategy, I'm a football fan, a person who enjoys the game and pays for memberships now. Is my membership getting cheaper over the years, do I get dividend pay out, do I get a discount because TC is on TV with a smart refrigerator? It hate so see seasons being wasted.

I'm only speculating but if we are struggling within the salary cap to accommodate for Tim Cahill, thus failure to sign other players - all because of the long term vision, well why can't they back pay Timmy next year when he is part of the coaching staff?

The two sides of the argument. I lean towards the points made by Mr. Mo I'm afraid. I pay the admission and watch the matches now. Whether or not I'll be around to see the supposed benefits of the long-term strategies is out of my hands. I don't get the perks, benefits and kick-backs of all the back-room deals that go on. I don't get free trips to Manchester and New York or hob-nob with the rich and famous. I even pay to see the pre-season matches, and I just know it was bloody marvellous to win the Cup, and bloody shameful to watch our season deteriorate afterwards.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2017 at 11:30 AM, DFG_82 said:

Yeah they said He was going to Brighton a few weeks ago too Lol.

He rejected them, so they did make him an offer, I think he wants serious coin, he will probably go to the middle East or China.

On 09/07/2017 at 4:59 PM, nah brah said:

just because i was right.... 

arnie is looking at birrighitti or federici as replacements for vukovic.

sauce..  https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/07/07/arnold-sizes-birighitti-fill-vukovic-void-sydney-fc

Maybe wait until Sydney have actually signed one of them before claiming victory. Also, the discussion has always been about who we could sign. Sydney seem to have a better salary cap position and are playing in Asia, which makes it a bit easier for them.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think it does. Putting it another way, I haven't seen any notice of a change.

The last I read of that rule was mid-last year, where Davutovic reported that CFG had written to FFA asking for it to be repealed, but he never followed up on it unfortunately.

• jw1739 pinned this topic