Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Our marquuee players are Bruno and Timmy. I wish for more, but club will only sign unknown players or like recent (good) domestic players. We are not NYC.

CFG said they would spend what is appropriate for the League which is fair enough.  Our ability to sign players has more to do with the restrictions put in place by FFA rather than CFG's unwillingness to spend. E.g "the Lampard Rule" ect. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

CFG said they would spend what is appropriate for the League which is fair enough.  Our ability to sign players has more to do with the restrictions put in place by FFA rather than CFG's unwillingness to spend. E.g "the Lampard Rule" ect. 

CFG could spend more on marquees if the will was there 

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I oppose the signing of Milligan or Troisi purely because they're from victory. I'm sick of getting victory players. Find someone else, anyone else. 

What's wrong with Troisi? The guy plays for the Socceroos and so does Milligan. A few dud victory signings from the past and you rule them all out? Plus Milligans not even a victory player!

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Is this off season more flappy than usual?

Not up with the urban jargon I'm afraid, so unsure about "flappy" but I would say my impression is that it is rather quiet even on what we've come to expect from City. A sort of solid but unspectacular off-season, both in terms of coach and player changes. No exciting or visa signings so far, not even a warm-up practice match before the FFA Cup-tie. Perhaps even tighter lips than usual out at CFA. It's unusual to see the Forum go for hours on end without a single post.

Bigger, stronger, more successful clubs have already formed teams or much more shaped then we. We can wait for South Americans but it takes time to glue team together. When are we going to play MC, other visiting international club here at home? Why does it hurt to speak in media and atracts interest? This is so subpair even to Aleague standards.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2017 at 3:28 PM, Harrison said:

You replied to someone else who asked you to name an Australian GK who we could sign that is better than Galekovic. My question is why would Federici or Birighitti play in the A-league when they are contracted PL players with a chance to play in the first team? 

Birighitti turned down offers to play in Holland and elsewhere in Europe for a chance to play in the PL. Why would he automatically come back here if he can't make the first team?

Federici injured his knee in Feb and has been unavailable since then. Even so, he's not likely to play here unless Wollongong joins the A-league. Probably good enough to play in a lower European league for a few more seasons. 

just because i was right.... 

arnie is looking at birrighitti or federici as replacements for vukovic.

sauce..  https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/07/07/arnold-sizes-birighitti-fill-vukovic-void-sydney-fc

3 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Bigger, stronger, more successful clubs have already formed teams or much more shaped then we. We can wait for South Americans but it takes time to glue team together. When are we going to play MC, other visiting international club here at home? Why does it hurt to speak in media and atracts interest? This is so subpair even to Aleague standards.

The last time we played an international club team was against Man City in the Gold Coast, almost no home fans saw it. The only other time we played an international club team was when we played Everton in our very first ever game. That's it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Still have 3 months untill the season starts. Plenty of time to sign players. We will probably start signing in the next month 

The issue isn't the time available to sign players - it's getting a strong well-drilled competitive squad together ready to hit the season with a bang. Not having players still "gelling" at Christmas time.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The issue isn't the time available to sign players - it's getting a strong well-drilled competitive squad together ready to hit the season with a bang. Not having players still "gelling" at Christmas time.

This is what I don't like, the same patterns season after season

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Honestly it's 6 weeks out from EPL kicking off and those squads are still being built. You don't really hear them bitching about gelling after the first 2 weeks of the season. The point is really that gelling is bullshit. If you haven't gelled during training you have a shit coach. It's the reason JVS teams never really 'gelled'.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wombegongal said:

Honestly it's 6 weeks out from EPL kicking off and those squads are still being built. You don't really hear them bitching about gelling after the first 2 weeks of the season. The point is really that gelling is bullshit. If you haven't gelled during training you have a shit coach. It's the reason JVS teams never really 'gelled'.

I believe in this, it takes 1, 2 games max for a team to "gel". Everything else is just doing what you know

1 hour ago, jeffplz said:

I believe in this, it takes 1, 2 games max for a team to "gel". Everything else is just doing what you know

I believe it takes a good 6 weeks of competitive play for a team pattern to show. More importantly is how you train. If you train with intensity, then that will reap rewards in the season. If you look at Celtic under Deila then Rodgers with mostly the same players, then you can see how training with intensity can develop a team.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wombegongal said:

Four and a half weeks actually (11th August). And plenty of European clubs are into their practice match schedule.

13 hours ago, jeffplz said:

That's why I got excited after round 2 last year. We had beaten the tards and Phoenix away. I thought wow to produce to away wins with a squad that hadn't gelled in yet we must be contenders. Then the rest of the season was shite. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Inferno said:

That's why I got excited after round 2 last year. We had beaten the tards and Phoenix away. I thought wow to produce to away wins with a squad that hadn't gelled in yet we must be contenders. Then the rest of the season was shite. 

Yep. I remember that time in my life too, but most of us forgot to consider the 'shit manager' part of the equation. :unsure:

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic