Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

18 hours ago, Jovan said:

Cahill on last season's performance is worth 400k. If he can reproduce that standard then to me no issue. 

Part of Wazzas brief would be working out a system for Cahill and Fornaroli so I think Cahill and Fornaroli will have a better season than last.

I'm not a massive Cahill fan but still think he is a valuable part of the squad. I just don't get the angst. He is with us as a player for this season and that's that. Enjoy his last season as a pro.

I hope that your confidence is reflected in what happens on the player front over the next month or so. Of course I don't know the exact numbers, but at this stage prima facie it looks to me that we're up against it in terms of the salary cap and we don't have a squad that can challenge for silverware as we still need major reinforcements in defence.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I hope that your confidence is reflected in what happens on the player front over the next month or so. Of course I don't know the exact numbers, but at this stage prima facie it looks to me that we're up against it in terms of the salary cap and we don't have a squad that can challenge for silverware as we still need major reinforcements in defence.

can't reiterate the point enough

CB visa quality :1st priority

LB needed  : 2nd priority

AM : 3rd priority

Edited by japiedog

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

My confidence is based on CFG history so far. If anyone is going to squeeze the best possible with what is available they will.

Now I have got absolutely no idea on what the makeup is of the cap and I would imagine only 2 or 3 people would and that's including players. But basically we have 8 playing spots available. 2 Visa and 1 Marquee. So therefore 7 spots within the cap. Potentially the 2 Visa spots could be filled with 2 x 2 year deals. That is this upcoming season could be a low figure  (relatively speaking ) and the second year much larger with the view that the bulk of the contracts expire 2018. Also within that there could be the option of moving one of those 2 Visa players into Marquee status if they prove themselves. Hence moving this upcoming seasons Marquee with the cap the next season.

Both of these scenarios CFG has already employmed with Bruno and Cahill. 

So with that alone we should be able to attract 2 very good Visa players and also CFG have proven a pretty good record. 

That leaves the 5 Australian places which some may come from within being upgraded youth/scholarship contract and then 2 or 3 senior players looking for a contract  (similar to Rose last season) also with the incentive of having a good season and possible extension in the next.

The bulk of the squad is done. So to me I'm super confident we will have a squad to challenge for silverware. 

Once we announce our Colombian left back and Venezuelan CB and Troisi as our Marquee many will be ease.

Edited by Jovan
The last point probably deserves to go into the Bullshit watch. They are both Argentinian.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

My confidence is based on CFG history so far. If anyone is going to squeeze the best possible with what is available they will.

Now I have got absolutely no idea on what the makeup is of the cap and I would imagine only 2 or 3 people would and that's including players. But basically we have 8 playing spots available. 2 Visa and 1 Marquee. So therefore 7 spots within the cap. Potentially the 2 Visa spots could be filled with 2 x 2 year deals. That is this upcoming season could be a low figure  (relatively speaking ) and the second year much larger with the view that the bulk of the contracts expire 2018. Also within that there could be the option of moving one of those 2 Visa players into Marquee status if they prove themselves. Hence moving this upcoming seasons Marquee with the cap the next season.

Both of these scenarios CFG has already employmed with Bruno and Cahill. 

So with that alone we should be able to attract 2 very good Visa players and also CFG have proven a pretty good record. 

That leaves the 5 Australian places which some may come from within being upgraded youth/scholarship contract and then 2 or 3 senior players looking for a contract  (similar to Rose last season) also with the incentive of having a good season and possible extension in the next.

The bulk of the squad is done. So to me I'm super confident we will have a squad to challenge for silverware. 

Once we announce our Colombian left back and Venezuelan CB and Troisi as our Marquee many will be ease.

Into bullshit watch it goes

• Like 3

A-League clubs have just rejected a $3.55m deal each from the FFA (don't know how much of that is salary cap). Either way its looking like the salary cap will surely rise next season.

Edited by haz

3 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Wowsers!!!!! Didnt expect that. Troisi aswell???? 2 good gets if it comes off.

Troisi would be a good pick up, don't think there has been anything solid linking him to City yet though mostly speculation by this forum, still have 2 Visa spots and a Marquee spot so should be able to build a strong squad for this season. 

44 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Troisi would be a good pick up, don't think there has been anything solid linking him to City yet though mostly speculation by this forum, still have 2 Visa spots and a Marquee spot so should be able to build a strong squad for this season. 

I think there's been some smoke in the media about it

13 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Has anyone been following Troisi's passive aggressive posts on instagram lol?

Just checked them out. He's definitely letting go some pent up emotions at someone. He just seems like the ideal candidate for us. CFG are big on developing Aussie players and he'd be the closest out of all of them to make a Mooyesque type of move. I'd be super suprised if at the very least we're not going all in to get him provided he's interest in staying in the aleague. 

47 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Just checked them out. He's definitely letting go some pent up emotions at someone. He just seems like the ideal candidate for us. CFG are big on developing Aussie players and he'd be the closest out of all of them to make a Mooyesque type of move. I'd be super suprised if at the very least we're not going all in to get him provided he's interest in staying in the aleague. 

I've been a Troisi fan since he was a kid at Newcastle United. (aside from when he was a Tard of course). Would be a great signing. Fingers crossed.

Statement of intent IMHO.  If we can put one more strong player in central defence I will start to feel vaguely confident.  Notwithstanding the persistent rumours about Troisi, I suspect that Caceres under Wazza could even become the number 10 that we've been looking for.  

• Like 2

Galekovic

Franjic           Jakobsen             VISA            Jamo
                         Brattan         Kilkenny
                                   Troisi
VISA                                                            Brandan
                                    Bruno

Bouzanis, Tongyik, Caceres, Fitzy, Cahill

Depth/Youth: Kamau, Muscat, Genreau, Yusuf, Arzani, Malik

If that's what we could end up with, that's the most solid team we've had, and yes, I know we say that almost every off season. Joyce is the most important piece though, if he's even a decent A-League coach we'll be looking good.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Embee said:

Galekovic

Franjic           Jakobsen             VISA            Jamo
                         Brattan         Kilkenny
                                   Troisi
VISA                                                            Brandan
                                    Bruno

Bouzanis, Tongyik, Caceres, Fitzy, Cahill

If that's what we could end up with, that's the most solid team we've had, and yes, I know we say that almost every off season. Joyce is the most important piece though, if he's even a decent A-League coach we'll be looking good.

We don't even need this number of additions.  Caceres can play at number 10, and we have two options at right wing.  We just need another good CB at minimum.  The key, as you say is Wazza.  If he can get more out of poor or inconsistent players in the squad viz. Brattan, Malik, Kamau, Caceres playing consistently to their potential, we don't need many more in the squad (good thing too because I'm not sure we've got room under the cap).

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

We don't even need this number of additions.  Caceres can play at number 10, and we have two options at right wing.  We just need another good CB at minimum.  The key, as you say is Wazza.  If he can get more out of poor or inconsistent players in the squad viz. Brattan, Malik, Kamau, Caceres playing consistently to their potential, we don't need many more in the squad (good thing too because I'm not sure we've got room under the cap).

Yeh absolutely you are spot on. I guess at @Embee's side is a best case (and very realistic) scenario, and if thats what it ends up thats a mighty good side. I tend to think we'll invest the bulk of whats left of our cap on a Visa CB, and the 5th visa might be a low cost speculative punt, probably in the midfield or wing positions. Either way we are oozing class across the board, with very good depth in all places if we can nail our AM and CB positions.

God help everyone if Wazza goes well.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HeartMillsy29 said:

We've solved our left back dilemma

https://twitter.com/cleary_mitch/status/879987025583067136

Good signing if confirmed. A vast improvement on last season's backs. Now, get 1 or 2 good centre backs and another experienced ( 22 -28 yr old) decent rwb. Imo, we could do so much better than franjic or muscat. It'll be good to have someone else challenging them for the spot apart from the inexperience youth players. If we fix our obvious defensive issues, we'll be very serious candidates to win the title.

Edited by DAM10

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

No you're definitely right we don't, but given we've got the spots available I'm assuming, as @bt50 says, a best case scenario.

A Marquee obviously sits outside the cap so we definitely should be filling that, and despite Caceres/our wide players I'd still be looking at a guy like Troisi who fits into that final third.

A quality CB is definitely a must though, and perhaps a depth CB too as Malik and Muscat don't fill me with confidence.

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Jamieson is based on one tweet isn't he? IMO we should wait for confirmation before assuming too much.

Call me the king of wishful thinking

5 minutes ago, Embee said:

No you're definitely right we don't, but given we've got the spots available I'm assuming, as @bt50 says, a best case scenario.

A Marquee obviously sits outside the cap so we definitely should be filling that, and despite Caceres/our wide players I'd still be looking at a guy like Troisi who fits into that final third.

A quality CB is definitely a must though, and perhaps a depth CB too as Malik and Muscat don't fill me with confidence.

Call me the king of wishful thinking

Spots available but possibly not the budget under the cap.  If I had to pick one position for our marquee, I'd go for CB.  However, if we have the budget, a good visa CB, and spend the marquee on a creative player such as Troisi.  That ought to be enough.  And if we can offload Malik, much the better...

Think it may be one signing tomorrow one later now but I'm 99% sure it's Jamo

42 minutes ago, nah brah said:

seriously troisi?  is someone on bullshit watch for that?

also, troisi is not going to take us to a premiership.  he will be great for 10 rounds. absent for the rest. and he will definitely leave after one season.  troisi will be a shit signing.

Nah brah

• Like 5

• jw1739 pinned this topic