Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

18 hours ago, nah brah said:

that's not what you asked.  and neither of them is looking like even making the match day squad in the PL.  federici wasnt even getting much in the championship.  birrghitti was at newcastle last season.  im pretty sure they would both play for free this season just for a chance to get a look into the world cup squad.  and they are both better than any other keeper in the AL.

on another note - still no one has an answer for why bouzanis was getting booed last season by our own fans.  why target him?  he was far from the worst.  IMO he's an ok keeper - he will be better in the right environment.

My opinion. It's never ok to boo your own players. Boo the whole team after the whistle if they're been consistently shit. But you shouldn't single out a player...

That being said, I was over Dean half way through the season let alone by the end of the season. And sick of hearing the idiotic "distribution" comment. He had amongst the worst passing stats in the league which is sad considering a lot of those where 5-10m passes...

Edited by PORCHO
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, PORCHO said:

My opinion. It's never ok to boo your own players. Boo the whole team after the whistle if they're been consistently shit. But you shouldn't single out a player...

That being said, I was over Dean half way through the season let alone by the end of the season. And sick of hearing the idiotic "distribution" comment. He had amongst the worst passing stats in the league which is sad considering a lot of those where 5-10m passes...

Thank God someone else has said it.  He is the shittest keeper going around.  I wouldn't have him at George Cross.

16 hours ago, japiedog said:

BOUzanis ?????

Yeah, it's an AFL thing. I never really noticed it at the games, but I thought Bouzanis would be an interesting test case for that sort of treatment, as it would be difficult to know whether they were genuinely booing him.

Whenever I saw that Bouzanis had been given the starting spot ahead of Sorensen, I thought it was a mistake. But I still wanted him to do well, whenever he was in goals for us (as I do for every City player, whether I think they're any good or not). Anyone who didn't doesn't deserve to be called a supporter of this club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Yeah, it's an AFL thing. I never really noticed it at the games, but I thought Bouzanis would be an interesting test case for that sort of treatment, as it would be difficult to know whether they were genuinely booing him.

Whenever I saw that Bouzanis had been given the starting spot ahead of Sorensen, I thought it was a mistake. But I still wanted him to do well, whenever he was in goals for us (as I do for every City player, whether I think they're any good or not). Anyone who didn't doesn't deserve to be called a supporter of this club.

I was the same... wanting them to do well, although I always expected the worst with him, Malik, Muscat and Rose and was sadly almost always disappointed... The good news is no MV and no JVS as coach. Hopefully WJ can see those guys(except Rose- already gone) for what they are... 

1 minute ago, PORCHO said:

We've got a coach now... when do we get to see our new tops... and some more new signings?

Last Seasons kit were revealed in September I think. Don't think we will see our new ones until A League launches its new logo officially. 

Just now, DFG_82 said:

Last Seasons kit were revealed in September I think. Don't think we will see our new ones until A League launches its new logo officially. 

:( I would have thought they start early this year being it's the first year with the "city blue" oh well, no big deal. Just curious, that's all

On 2017-6-18 at 2:11 PM, nah brah said:

that's not what you asked.  and neither of them is looking like even making the match day squad in the PL.  federici wasnt even getting much in the championship.  birrghitti was at newcastle last season.  im pretty sure they would both play for free this season just for a chance to get a look into the world cup squad.  and they are both better than any other keeper in the AL.

on another note - still no one has an answer for why bouzanis was getting booed last season by our own fans.  why target him?  he was far from the worst.  IMO he's an ok keeper - he will be better in the right environment.

You replied to someone else who asked you to name an Australian GK who we could sign that is better than Galekovic. My question is why would Federici or Birighitti play in the A-league when they are contracted PL players with a chance to play in the first team? 

Birighitti turned down offers to play in Holland and elsewhere in Europe for a chance to play in the PL. Why would he automatically come back here if he can't make the first team?

Federici injured his knee in Feb and has been unavailable since then. Even so, he's not likely to play here unless Wollongong joins the A-league. Probably good enough to play in a lower European league for a few more seasons. 

• Like 1

Potential 1st and 2nd XI if we were to sign Troisi as marquee, resign Brattan, sign Roberts, Good and Brimmer as rumoured. I've ignored the guest spot for now. I doubt that would be used until January anyway.                        

Galekovic

Bouzanis

Franjic        Jakobsen    Visa CB     Visa LB

Pieras          Tongyik        Good    Muscat

Kilkenny

Malik

Troisi                        Caceres

Brattan                  Brimmer

Fitzgerald           Fornaroli           Brandan

Kamau                  Cahill                Arzani/Genreau

Arzani/Genreau, Delianov, Roberts, Crowley

I think it highlights how important our two remaining Visa signings are in the defence, but jesus that a good squad and side.

17 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Potential 1st and 2nd XI if we were to sign Troisi as marquee, resign Brattan, sign Roberts, Good and Brimmer as rumoured. I've ignored the guest spot for now. I doubt that would be used until January anyway.                        

Galekovic

Bouzanis

Franjic        Jakobsen    Visa CB     Visa LB

Pieras          Tongyik        Good    Muscat

Kilkenny

Malik

Troisi                        Caceres

Brattan                  Brimmer

Fitzgerald           Fornaroli           Brandan

Kamau                  Cahill                Arzani/Genreau

Arzani/Genreau, Delianov, Roberts, Crowley

I think it highlights how important our two remaining Visa signings are in the defence, but jesus that a good squad and side.

That is a very strong squad. What will make it balanced is as you pointed out the 2 visa and Marquee. 

I'm still not sold on Troisi as our Marquee but will accept the devil you know argument but the LB and CB is crucial. 

At a pinch I wouldn't mind exploring the idea of Kilkenny at CB. Alongside Jakobsen that left foot right foot pairing both can hit a very good pass both great tacklers and both read it well.

Its all depended on Brattan getting off the pies and finding that form he showed early last season. 

What is certain for me playing Brattan and Kilkenny alongside as holding mids is counter productive and Brattan in a more forward AM would encroach on Caceras or Troisi(or yet to be signed South American #10 Marquee).

If Kilkenny at CB works and Brattan finds form as a quality #6 then that Visa can be used futher forward. It's a big If, I know.

What is certain for the first time in our history we are not going to bring in more than half our starting XI in one go. We have a very very good core squad that just needs 2 to 3 positions filled and very good depth with players 12 to 16 able to start when required. 

• Like 1

that's a good team, pending a good LB and CB, but we still need a decent backup LW, Arzani is more a AM while Genreau is a CM. A young LW with potential would do nicely, no use spending a decent chunk of our cap on a bench player. 

What position does John Roberts usually play?

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Potential 1st and 2nd XI if we were to sign Troisi as marquee, resign Brattan, sign Roberts, Good and Brimmer as rumoured.

I moved your post because it is mainly speculation. Where are you getting these rumours from?

3 minutes ago, PORCHO said:

that's a good team, pending a good LB and CB, but we still need a decent backup LW, Arzani is more a AM while Genreau is a CM. A young LW with potential would do nicely, no use spending a decent chunk of our cap on a bench player. 

What position does John Roberts usually play?

Kamau Fitzy and Fernando as the wide players. They all can play either wing. So for me 3 senior players for 2 positions is doable but your right a young 4th player that can play anywhere in the front 3 would be astute.

Cahill Fornaroli combination needs to be sorted. As it is Cahill will be playing his last 30 something games (assuming finals and no injuries ) so I think they may want to find him 60 plus minutes week in week out.

Just now, Jovan said:

Kamau Fitzy and Fernando as the wide players. They all can play either wing. So for me 3 senior players for 2 positions is doable but your right a young 4th player that can play anywhere in the front 3 would be astute.

Cahill Fornaroli combination needs to be sorted. As it is Cahill will be playing his last 30 something games (assuming finals and no injuries ) so I think they may want to find him 60 plus minutes week in week out.

For up front we've got Crowley, I suppose maybe if he can play LW that might do but wouldn't mind the extra kid to work through the team. I think it's in our best interests to have a top 1st team(use up most of our cap) and a bunch of good kids to bring through. Cheaper and obviously the future of the club, both money wise(for those that are good enough to go abroad) and team wise(cheaper long term players for those that aren't good enough to go abroad but good enough for A-League).

Let's just hope Wazza is the man to bring it all together...

Just now, Dylan said:

who is this brimmer dude?

ex Liverpool youth player. He's supposed to be pretty good but it's the first I've heard of him coming over to us.

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

who is this brimmer dude?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Brimmer

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I reckon Kamau will have to lift his aerobic capacity to meet Wazza's requirements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

That is a very strong squad. What will make it balanced is as you pointed out the 2 visa and Marquee. 

I'm still not sold on Troisi as our Marquee but will accept the devil you know argument but the LB and CB is crucial. 

At a pinch I wouldn't mind exploring the idea of Kilkenny at CB. Alongside Jakobsen that left foot right foot pairing both can hit a very good pass both great tacklers and both read it well.

Its all depended on Brattan getting off the pies and finding that form he showed early last season. 

What is certain for me playing Brattan and Kilkenny alongside as holding mids is counter productive and Brattan in a more forward AM would encroach on Caceras or Troisi(or yet to be signed South American #10 Marquee).

If Kilkenny at CB works and Brattan finds form as a quality #6 then that Visa can be used futher forward. It's a big If, I know.

What is certain for the first time in our history we are not going to bring in more than half our starting XI in one go. We have a very very good core squad that just needs 2 to 3 positions filled and very good depth with players 12 to 16 able to start when required. 

I have a feeling we tried Killa at CB last year and was no good. Im pretty sure he got found out and got a little jumpy around the box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I moved your post because it is mainly speculation. Where are you getting these rumours from?

Good and Brimmer both Twitter rumours. Could be nothing, the Brimmer one looks like it has more legs. Either way if we did sign them Id have them as not best XI just yet anyway, but very handy backup options that could well cement themselves in the side once given the opportunity. The Roberts and Troisi ones have obv been a bit more substancialized.

The point is more to reflect what our squad will likely look like. You can insert any name into those signing positions and still get a reasonable idea what we are looking at.

2 minutes ago, rass said:

He was one of our best last year, so i'd play him in his correct position of DM and then let's just get a proper bonafide CB instead.

Then that would lead me to cut Brattan. My basic logic is that using 2 visa spots on starting CB and 1 on LB is a bit of a overkill. Be good if we could nail a good Aussie CB/LB or both but I can't think of any that would fit.

16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Then that would lead me to cut Brattan. My basic logic is that using 2 visa spots on starting CB and 1 on LB is a bit of a overkill. Be good if we could nail a good Aussie CB/LB or both but I can't think of any that would fit.

I'd just play them together as 2 DMs in a 4-2-1-3 type formation, like i posted a few weeks back. Reckon this would work quite well.

• jw1739 pinned this topic