Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 minutes ago, PORCHO said:

Don't get me wrong, I'll take him... I just really really really want Honda... 

I thought the clues made it obvious... there was even the Ninja Emoji... 

Honda's still way too good to even consider coming to play down here, can make way more money elsewhere.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PORCHO said:

Don't get me wrong, I'll take him... I just really really really want Honda... 

FWIW I'd take Troisi over Honda given the choice, and given where our squad is at right now.

I really like Honda and wouldnt be at all disappointed if we got him, but imo Troisi is a much safer bet and is much closer to his prime. I kinda feel like Honda could go badly wrong, be it injuries or just not fitting in to the Australian style of play. Of course it could go the other way and he's the best international player we've ever had, but it's almost certainly a riskier prospect.

edit : to clarify before i get taken apart, i do not think Troisi is, or even will be a better player at any stage of his career. I simply think he's less of a risk, and right now this side needs a consistent, proven engine room, not a highlight real. I'd rather a 100% of games at 75%, rather then 50% at 100% and 50% at 50% if that makes sense.

Edited by bt50

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

FWIW I'd take Troisi over Honda given the choice, and given where our squad is at right now.

I really like Honda and wouldnt be at all disappointed if we got him, but imo Troisi is a much safer bet and is much closer to his prime. I kinda feel like Honda could go badly wrong, be it injuries or just not fitting in to the Australian style of play. Of course it could go the other way and he's the best international player we've ever had, but it's almost certainly a riskier prospect.

Honda is a lot better than troisi. I appreciate that he's an unknown quantity in this league but he's proven his quality elsewhere. Its not like we haven't bombed with proven a league talent before too (Mr Brattan I'm looking at you) 

• Like 3

Its all about the balance of the team (something we've lacked the last few years. I'd prefer a more creative number 10 that will get the most from Bruno but then we also need sa strong winger or tactically create more space for Bruno. We also ned a stronger backline pairing but where we invest resources should be determined by team balance

5 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Honda is a lot better than troisi. I appreciate that he's an unknown quantity in this league but he's proven his quality elsewhere. Its not like we haven't bombed with proven a league talent before too (Mr Brattan I'm looking at you) 

I absolutely appreciate that. I guess what I'm saying is I want to minimise the chance of us having a player in the marquee role that has bad games if that makes sense. For example, David Villa is proven everywhere in the world and is an absolute superstar, but lets be honest he did sweet FA for us in his four appearances other than take two chances. The rest of his game time he was non-existant. I think thats the last thing we need atm. 

Edited by bt50

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

I absolutely appreciate that. I guess what I'm saying is I want to minimise the chance of us having a player in the marquee role that has bad games if that makes sense. For example, David Villa is proven everywhere in the world, but lets be honest he did sweet FA for us in his four apperances other than take two chances. The rest of his game time he was non-existant. I think thats the last thing we need atm. 

I think Honda is a far more industrious player than Villa. Having gone to a Japan game to specifically watch Honda live at the Asian cup the dude is an energizer bunny. That being said I think that Troisi is far more likely. Given the choice I would take Kiesuke though

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I reckon Honda is pretty much ungettable. He will go back to Japan imo

Totally. 

Our target will be around 1 to 1.5million and Honda is 4 times that.

I hope CFG use the network that brought in Fernando Fornaroli and Jakobsen. (Cough cough Colazo Koren) and give Troisi a wide berth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Totally. 

I hope CFG use the network that brought in Fernando Fornaroli and Jakobsen. (Cough cough Colazo Koren) and give Troisi a wide berth.

What I meant was that it's probably not  even a money thing with Honda  But I agree with your point 

8 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I think Honda is a far more industrious player than Villa. Having gone to a Japan game to specifically watch Honda live at the Asian cup the dude is an energizer bunny. That being said I think that Troisi is far more likely. Given the choice I would take Kiesuke though

Hangon Villa is a gun. He was being supplied from Ramsay others. The few moments he got anything from Duff he proved what quality he has. 

Check out what he has done in NY. 

49 goals frrom 79 starts.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Hangon Villa is a gun. He was being supplied from Ramsay others. The few moments he got anything from Duff he proved what quality he has. 

Check out what he has done in NY. Nearly a goal a game from 60 plus starts.

I don't disagree at all, I think @bt50 was making an error comparing Honda to Villa is all. Very different players, both very good though 

We are badly missing a "jet" in the final third. After Novillo departure and not having Fernando fit it's way too static. Caseras was the only one trying, but he did not play because of mismanagement. Having Fitzy is not enough. To unlock the qualities of Bruno and Timmi Honda would be perfect.

1 minute ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I don't disagree at all, I think @bt50 was making an error comparing Honda to Villa is all. Very different players, both very good though 

Exactly. Both are amazing and really shouldn't be discussed when talking A League. 

Re. Troisi. With only 17 players maximum signed for next season, including Brandan who is unlikely to play until late in the season if at all, and also including 3 very young players whose status is unclear to me, with only two visa places open, and no signings announced so far, we have to sign some quality Australian players.

I thought he was likely to go to Brighton in the EPL?

Just now, Jovan said:

Check out what he has done in NY. Nearly a goal a game from 60 plus starts.

Villa is still world class, reckon he would have had similar or better output than Bruno if he had a season or 2 of Mooy feeding him the ball.

The reality is he's a good player. And regardless of my comment before about the tards lack of butthurt the reality also is that they are in a state of denial and this will hurt them. Expecting a lot of comments along the lines of "good, we didn't want him at our club anyway." All the while they're feeling it badly. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Question though. 

Is he Marquee quality?

Before answering disregard the Tardish implications and our previous Marquees.

Imo, if anyone is team of the season last year in any of the attacking positions: then unquestionably they are of marquee quality.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

The reality is he's a good player. And regardless of my comment before about the tards lack of butthurt the reality also is that they are in a state of denial and this will hurt them. Expecting a lot of comments along the lines of "good, we didn't want him at our club anyway." All the while they're feeling it badly. 

Their upturn in form this season coincided with Troisi's improvement after an indifferent start, he's been more crucial to their campaign than most of them are willing to admit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Imo, if anyone is team of the season last year in any of the attacking positions: then unquestionably they are of marquee quality.

Maybe. I'm more of the opinion that we can do better.

And in no way I'm under valuing Troisi but I can't see him as Marquee.

3 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

If Mooy after season one of city was worth marquee then I feel that Troisi is. 

But that decision was made more on the basis of the rest of the squad as opposed to what Mooy produced. He was replacing Williams as the Australian Marquee to make cap space basically. 

• James Troisi is one of the best attacking players in this league, and is better than all of our players except Bruno and on his day maybe Tim Cahill.
  • He would be leaving Victory to come to us. Imagine having Tim Cahill, Fernando Brandan and James Troisi in one team. The level of salt from Victory fans would be absolutely marvellous.
  • People complaining about having to offer him marquee wages; did you see what our glorious marquee Colazo did last year? Or Robbie Koren the year before? I don't think Troisi would be a waste of a marquee spot at all.
  • The only way we could have signed Honda is if we qualified for the Champions League last year. As soon as we failed to do that we were no longer a chance. End of.
Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Maybe. I'm more of the opinion that we can do better.

And in no way I'm under valuing Troisi but I can't see him as Marquee.

But that decision was made more on the basis of the rest of the squad as opposed to what Mooy produced. He was replacing Williams as the Australian Marquee to make cap space basically. 

On the first point, we probably can. But imo the biggest factor with attempting to do better is the risk you take on with signing that sort player, as well the exponential increase in $$$ which is definitely a factor, even if some like to think CFG are going to fork out squillions on a club they paid 11 and half mil for.

The second point isnt really true imo. I know he was signed as Aus marquee about a week before they changed the rules to two genuine marquees, but he was signed on a figure close to a million, or at least 800k which is in no way known a cap space move. That's attempting to sign someone purely on their value. In my opinion, and tbh its only speculation, but i reckon we'd have still signed him as marquee on the same dosh even if the aus marquee rule had been scrapped months earlier.

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Question though. 

Is he Marquee quality?

Before answering disregard the Tardish implications and our previous Marquees.

I think he is, there's an element of a shiny new toy approach to the marquee spot on this forum IMO, people seem to prefer sparkly unproven players from overseas with large reputations when it's often a surer bet to secure top level performers in this league.

James Troisi was one of the best attacking players in this country last season, why wouldn't he be worth marquee status?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:
  • James Troisi is one of the best attacking players in this league, and is better than all of our players except Bruno and on his day maybe Tim Cahill.
  • He would be leaving Victory to come to us. Imagine having Tim Cahill, Fernando Brandan and James Troisi in one team. The level of salt from Victory fans would be absolutely marvellous.
  • People complaining about having to offer him marquee mages; did you see what our glorious marquee Colazo did last year? Or Robbie Koren the year before? I don't think Troisi would be a waste of a marquee spot at all.
  • The only way we could have signed Honda is if we qualified for the Champions League last year. As soon as we failed to do that we were no longer a chance. End of.

:clap:

3 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:
  • People complaining about having to offer him marquee mages; did you see what our glorious marquee Colazo did last year? Or Robbie Koren the year before? I don't think Troisi would be a waste of a marquee spot at all.

Whilst nothing happens in a vacuum @Jovan did point out that we should remove these points from the conversation. I agree with Jovan, makes it more of an objective assessment. I would be happy with him as marquee, but equally happy with another quality player taking the spot.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Totally. 

Is Cahill now within the cap maybe get troisi and Honda by paying Troisi as marqee and Honda as Guest on Big $ with the expectation he will only play 14 games. he them can be deployed carefully in big games etc and may be tempted by the $ and not the full playing comittment. plus ACL bonus as he is Asian. lets see FFA try and reject him as "not marketable enough" " Unkinown in Oz " etc. would be a crazy insult to the Asian Confed, the very people we are trying to convince we have a reputable reliable professional league. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Embee said:

I think he is, there's an element of a shiny new toy approach to the marquee spot on this forum IMO, people seem to prefer sparkly unproven players from overseas with large reputations when it's often a surer bet to secure top level performers in this league.

James Troisi was one of the best attacking players in this country last season, why wouldn't he be worth marquee status?

We seem to get really carried away whether or not he is worth it or good enough..............besides the talks on the forum, I have no indication that he is coming to us.

Looking at his club record, he seems to be moving clubs a lot to chase money - so I won't be surprised if he's waiting for an asian club or similar.

1 minute ago, citymad said:

Is Cahill now within the cap maybe get troisi and Honda by paying Troisi as marqee and Honda as Guest on Big $ with the expectation he will only play 14 games. he them can be deployed carefully in big games etc and may be tempted by the $ and not the full playing comittment. plus ACL bonus as he is Asian. lets see FFA try and reject him as "not marketable enough" " Unkinown in Oz " etc. would be a crazy insult to the Asian Confed, the very people we are trying to convince we have a reputable reliable professional league. 

He's still playing for the NT. There's no way he's going to sign with a club to play every second week and jeopardise a WC spot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Whilst nothing happens in a vacuum @Jovan did point out that we should remove these points from the conversation. I agree with Jovan, makes it more of an objective assessment. I would be happy with him as marquee, but equally happy with another quality player taking the spot.

Fair enough. That being said I think the other two points stand for themselves. As it has been mentioned before in this thread by @bt50 and others, the bloke made the league team of the season last year and is currently on a plane to Russia to play for Australia in the Confederations Cup. Definitely marquee quality.

Troisi is definitely a good player. I'd love to have him at the club but I feel like we should get more out of a marquee... 

Colazo was a waste... bring in a marquee who get's paid 500k?! And Koren was a joke, but surely we could pick up a better Brandan as marquee... 

eg. Carlos Eduardo(CM/AM) european experience, jsut released from his club in Brazil... 

Someone like that would likely do a better job and would be a flashier marquee then Triosi.

7 minutes ago, bt50 said:

He's still playing for the NT. There's no way he's going to sign with a club to play every second week and jeopardise a WC spot.

agreed. Honda is unlikely but definitely not coming to only play 14 games. It would have to be a marquee or nothing. 

7 minutes ago, PORCHO said:

Honda is unlikely but definitely not coming to only play 14 games. It would have to be a marquee or nothing. 

Just to clarify that 14 game guest Marquee has been changed to season long and so far Cahill is the only one. But it's highly subjected to FFA approval and to be the only club to use it 2 seasons running wouldn't be a good look and probably for that reason alone won't get up.

And as said by a few others Honda is highly unlikely to come.

• jw1739 pinned this topic