Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

I wouldn't have counted Miller. He was first a National Replacement Player (for Aaron Mooy) and then an Injury Replacement (for Germano).

Of the others, I would say only Koren and Hughes were abject failures. Villa was an incomprehensible CFG shambles (something I've never forgiven them for). IMO Duff and Colazo were both very good players but didn't quite live up to expectations. Novillo would still be with us if he hadn't self-destructed off the field. All the rest I rate very highly indeed. Saf is still only 25 and IMO he could have made it with us if he had not been a visa player.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I can understand that perspective. And given CFG have been pretty good (at least from last season oneards) in visa player selections. My point is it's fascinating how the hope of potential in a player can cloud the reality of how successful they will be. Given the fact they haven't even set foot in this league before. 

I think a lot of it has to do with the increased expectations because of continual underachievement, coupled with the long off season. 

I like to wait and see myself, however because of the above i am continually looking for news on the club and especially get excited over visa player news. It becomes a bit of a game to look up rumoured players and wonder if they'll suit. Helps get through the boredom of a normal day anyway!

26 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Hughes - Failure because he couldnt get on the park. IMO would have been a great player if he could have stayed on the park.

Duff - Pretty solid for half a season until he was injured. Pass.

Villa - Guest. IMO doesnt count but essentially put in two good and two bad performances.

Novillo - Success. Clearly one of the best pickups we had. Fucked it for himself.

Koren - The clearest and biggest failure. Letting him play out the second season as marquee, and not replacing him is imo City's biggest failure to date

Saf - Decent as an injury replacement. Wasn't a world beater, and was a walking red card, but was ok for the outlay involved. Pass.

Miller - Isnt he an Aussie youth kid?

Sorenson - Super Pass in first season, fail second season.

Colazo - Fail as a marquee, a bare pass if he was just a normal visa. Should have been played at LB imo. 

Jakobsen - Pass, a huge one if he hadnt been so injury prone. Worth another year.

Brandan - Pass. A seriously good pickup and imo was our barometer a bit. Again struck down by injury, which imo cost us any sort of momentum and unpredictability in the second half of the season. Keep, but use a visa injury replacement for the season and see what happens with availability

Jaliens - Pass. Personally would have kept him but understand why they didnt (age).

Bruno - Clear Success. Easily our best ever import, even if he didnt have quite the same impact in 16/17.

I guess the biggest thing when you look at that is how bad a run we've had with injuries to our visa players. Probably cost us the title last season imo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I guess the biggest thing when you look at that is how bad a run we've had with injuries to our visa players. Probably cost us the title last season imo.

Injuries were a factor but what cost us being a chance or contending was the Coaching setup fullstop.

There were weeks when our Visa players were not picked. Sorensen obviously. But Fernando was left out unknown reasons. And Colazo was played in different positions formations when selected. Then there was the whole Cahill Fornaroli combination problem that still remains unresolved. 

• Like 3

Its interesting to compare our visa signings to those of other clubs over the same time. 

For all the talk of the CFG scouting network, they haven't really set the standard for imports to the A league like some of us hoped. And that's not to say they haven't made some great signings (Fornaroli and Brandan in particular), but most other clubs seem to do a comparable job with far less resources. ie. Castro, Ninkovic, Corona, Del Pierre, Bonevacia, FBK, Keogh etc.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Injuries were a factor but what cost us being a chance or contending was the Coaching setup fullstop.

There were weeks when our Visa players were not picked. Sorensen obviously. But Fernando was left out unknown reasons. And Colazo was played in different positions formations when selected. Then there was the whole Cahill Fornaroli combination problem that still remains unresolved. 

Absolutely agree, although i meant the season before when Adelaide won. This season different case entirely.

If this is true (which I agree with hakz7 is very unlikely) I can see a situation similar to Colazo. He will have the skills, make the right runs etc. But the players around him wont been good enough to see the runs he makes or the balls he plays.

10 minutes ago, haz said:

If this is true (which I agree with hakz7 is very unlikely) I can see a situation similar to Colazo. He will have the skills, make the right runs etc. But the players around him wont been good enough to see the runs he makes or the balls he plays.

If there's one player that would be good enough to read his runs in our squad, it would be his strike partner in Tuna. I reckon Bruno would be a much better player with Caleri next to him.

Edited by Hellenic Hero

34 minutes ago, CityBlue4U said:

Hi, new here

I just wonder how terrible city scouts are, or do they let interns take care of our signings? If we had half the effort put into us as NYCFC we'd have won the league 7 times over in the last 2 seasons. Cheers

:droy: @Tesla more thorough forum screening process pls

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Haven't we learnt from Fornaroli and Cahill?

you would hope so..  would not be surprised to see CFG blow their wad on 3 strikers and then just lump it with the new coach to deal with.

he is not a winger.  he is not a creative attacking midfielder.  he's a  straight up forward. just because he is Argentinian doesnt mean he can just be a good creative midfielder.  that's just dumb.  

this should be sent to the bullshit pile.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nah brah said:

you would hope so..  would not be surprised to see CFG blow their wad on 3 strikers and then just lump it with the new coach to deal with.

he is not a winger.  he is not a creative attacking midfielder.  he's a  straight up forward. just because he is Argentinian doesnt mean he can just be a good creative midfielder.  that's just dumb.  

this should be sent to the bullshit pile.

Bullshit watch is for fake or misleading posts. 

Stupid nonsensical signings deserve their own thread.

14 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Bullshit watch is for fake or misleading posts. 

Stupid nonsensical signings deserve their own thread.

still stinks of bullshit.

it would be a massive signing if it did come off.  rumour was that he was going to sevilla.  i dont know what we would offer to better la liga. surely if it was just cash he would look into china.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nah brah said:

still stinks of bullshit.

it would be a massive signing if it did come off.  rumour was that he was going to sevilla.  i dont know what we would offer to better la liga. surely if it was just cash he would look into china.

The rumour on Sevilla was before the January 2017 transfer window, and the move from West Ham to Seville did not eventuate. Apparently Las Palmas were also interested at that time.

No listed rumours since then.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bt50 said:

Just with Jakobsen. I put alot of weight in what the fitness coach of Sydney said, when he said some visa players take alot of time to get used to the harder surfaces in Aus. I reckon if we were better at  in preseason in preparing our new Visa players, Hughes and Jackobsen would not have had nowhere near as many injuries. I expect Jackobsen to have a huge year next year. 

I reckon we should go in hard for Clarke. Pay him what he wants to get him over here

Edited by Dylan

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Just with Jakobsen. I put alot of weight in what the fitness coach of Sydney said, when he said some visa players take alot of time to get used to the harder surfaces in Aus. I reckon if we were better at  in preseason in preparing our new Visa players, Hughes and Jackobsen would not have had nowhere near as many injuries. I expect Jackobsen to have a huge year next year. 

I reckon we should go in hard for Clarke. Pay him what he wants to get him over here

ive also heard from a scout on another forum who said there has often been absolutely zero medical check on incoming visa players when signed by australian clubs.  

CFG are probably the only owners to have the resources or professionalism to medical any incoming transfers - although this has probably come about after the local management failed to do so.  you would expect this to change through the competition considering some of the visa failures in the HAL.

27 minutes ago, nah brah said:

ive also heard from a scout on another forum who said there has often been absolutely zero medical check on incoming visa players when signed by australian clubs.  

CFG are probably the only owners to have the resources or professionalism to medical any incoming transfers - although this has probably come about after the local management failed to do so.  you would expect this to change through the competition considering some of the visa failures in the HAL.

I find that very hard to beleive

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nah brah said:

Pretty sure they go to manchester and get it all done there

7 hours ago, Dylan said:

I find that very hard to beleive

I'd tend to believe it, look at the experience of Chris Naumoff, playing for years with a cardiomyopathy in the A League and not picked up until he transfer to a Spanish Liga 2 team and had a proper medical. His Australian medical was NAD ('Not Actually Done' rather than 'No Abnormality Detected"). It's hard to believe that this doesn't reflect the general level of medical investigation by HAL franchises

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

Pretty sure they go to manchester and get it all done there

I think that's the case with City visa players. I'm also sure that Heart were doing comprehensive medical testing on all players when they reported for pre-season. There was also some medical testing prior to joining the club - as per this article on Kisnorbo: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/melbourne-heart-fc-signs-patrick-kisnorbo/aoan6hzt6b5l177vm2tqw0qjr

CFG has just forked out 74 million for Bernardo Silva from Monaco. 

Bruno was alleviated to Marquee wages last season and they also spent extra for Cahill last season just wondering how much will be allocated for the second Marquee position. 

On 5/19/2017 at 9:06 AM, bt50 said:

I'd take any at the right price. Davidson is probably the most realistic without paying unreasonable money though (approx 200k or less). I suspect Meredith wants to stay in England and the others arent realistic targets imo.

Meredith signed at Millwall.

• jw1739 pinned this topic