Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

I'm aware that this is somehow off topic buttt...do you guys remember right around round 14 we face wsw on a FRIDAY...just curious on how high the attendance was..well higher that most rounds at least...anyone know why?? just don't understand how we struggle to fill 10,000 butts when we have 13,000 "loyal members" 

24 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

I'm aware that this is somehow off topic buttt...do you guys remember right around round 14 we face wsw on a FRIDAY...just curious on how high the attendance was..well higher that most rounds at least...anyone know why?? just don't understand how we struggle to fill 10,000 butts when we have 13,000 "loyal members" 

cos we're fkn shit 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

Way off topic. The attendance was 10,731. Second highest (non-derby) attendance of the season. There are statistics around from early in the club's history when IIRC our CEO was on record saying that as few as 40% of our members might attend any given match.

Certainly in Bay 28 where I have been for seven seasons there are gaping gaps for every match except home derbies, and yet almost every seat is actually sold to and reserved for a member.

There are multiple reasons why people don't turn up. Obviously some are working, some have conflicting events that they can't get out of, some have something else they'd rather do, transport problems (such as PT shut-downs), distance they travel and lateness of getting home, illness, holidays,...etc. etc....and some people have different priorities in life. Also see Strider's comment above. Put less impolitely, we're hardly the most entertaining side in the league, and our results are not impressive.

18,751 for the FFA Cup Final on a Wednesday shows what we could do even if all we did was improve what we do on the field.

On 2017-5-21 at 6:11 PM, Chris p said:

Well he's going to be injured for most of next season isn't he ? 

i thought he was going to be ok by next season. but i just checked, it's going to be 12 months.

depending on the formation of the next coach we might need an injury replacement.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-citys-fernando-brandan-out-12-months-with-knee-injury-20170308-gutgku.html

18 minutes ago, nah brah said:

i thought he was going to be ok by next season. but i just checked, it's going to be 12 months.

depending on the formation of the next coach we might need an injury replacement.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-citys-fernando-brandan-out-12-months-with-knee-injury-20170308-gutgku.html

IMO it doesn't make sense not to have a replacement. If you don't, you are simply going into the season one short on your allowed number of players, and I can't see any point in that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it doesn't make sense not to have a replacement. If you don't, you are simply going into the season one short on your allowed number of players, and I can't see any point in that.

I'm with you. Makes no sense to not have a replacement. 

Last season they really stuffed up not getting a replacement for Gameiro/Kuzi and then Chapman(not injury just another CB).

Season before that CFG were pretty active and did some good business especially during January. 

I'm kinda hopeful they were just over confident with last season's list and this season they will leave no stone unturned and make every possible move to be super competitive. That starts with all the Visa players and Marquees starting games week in week out. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

who said they wouldnt get a replacement?  if the formation of the new boss requires a left wing, we will need a left wing. has anyone said anything different?

4 hours ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Every A-League club has made a signing apart from City. This is not a good sign. It's already looking like we are going to struggle again in the new season. 

I think it's actually a good thing, means we arnt dipping into the pool of A-League spuds.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Every A-League club has made a signing apart from City. This is not a good sign. It's already looking like we are going to struggle again in the new season. 

if we sign a single new player before signing a manager i will be pissed.  the manager needs to be calling the shots on recruitment or we are doomed to another shitty season

• Like 1

Happy for us to sign some players before a manager is signed.

I wouldn't be signing players that will change our style of play or anything, but generic position Australians should be looked at. The pool of available Australians isn't big enough to give every other club a month headstart, otherwise we will be left picking up the dregs. I'm not advocating a big recruiting spree, but if you wait you are unlikely to snag the better youth prospects/potential starts and are left picking through the squaddie type players.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Happy for us to sign some players before a manager is signed.

I wouldn't be signing players that will change our style of play or anything, but generic position Australians should be looked at. The pool of available Australians isn't big enough to give every other club a month headstart, otherwise we will be left picking up the dregs. I'm not advocating a big recruiting spree, but if you wait you are unlikely to snag the better youth prospects/potential starts and are left picking through the squaddie type players.

This is very true. I would be really surprised if we haven't been in dialogue with players. If we haven't yet signed a new coach then you would assume those discussions would be dependent on the new bloke giving the ok once signed.

But having said that if a genuine quality Australian Center back or Goalkeeper  for example are available they should be signed regardless of the new coach.

But overall I'd prefer most of the team built by the new coach but it's a not an entirely an "either or" argument. Somewhere in between. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jovan said:

This is very true. I would be really surprised if we haven't been in dialogue with players. If we haven't yet signed a new coach then you would assume those discussions would be dependent on the new bloke giving the ok once signed.

But having said that if a genuine quality Australian Center back or Goalkeeper  for example are available they should be signed regardless of the new coach.

But overall I'd prefer most of the team built by the new coach but it's a not an entirely an "either or" argument. Somewhere in between. 

Have we even decided how many players we're looking for? So far there are but four official releases (non-renewals) - Gameiro, Kuzi, Rose, Colazo - and one unofficial release (non-renewal) - Sorensen. Brattan and Caceres officially finish their one-season loan to us on 31st May.

There was a rumour that there are "more releases to come" but who knows. If we don't release any players from their continuing contracts then we don't have a huge amount of rebuilding to do.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Have we even decided how many players we're looking for? So far there are but four official releases (non-renewals) - Gameiro, Kuzi, Rose, Colazo - and one unofficial release (non-renewal) - Sorensen. Brattan and Caceres officially finish their one-season loan to us on 31st May.

There was a rumour that there are "more releases to come" but who knows. If we don't release any players from their continuing contracts then we don't have a huge amount of rebuilding to do.

Tommy is 100% done, just can't announce his retirement or they'll kick him out the country. Or so I'm told 

41 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Haven't we learnt from Fornaroli and Cahill?

Another creative skilled forward would work. Cahill doesn't have skill to make combinations, so it's clear they didn't even bother passing the ball to one another. Good finisher and of course excellent headers. Just look at last year when Novillo and Bruno played together, they loved to setup play together.

Would probably mean Bruno moving to a wing if true. Or potentially two up front. Which Novillo-style might work well in our favour. A winger that offers serious technical threat has worked wonder in the A-League previously.

32 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Another creative skilled forward would work. Cahill doesn't have skill to make combinations, so it's clear they didn't even bother passing the ball to one another. Good finisher and of course excellent headers. Just look at last year when Novillo and Bruno played together, they loved to setup play together.

Yep. Even though he's defined as a CF, i could imagine a 173cm Argentinian forward would probably have the skill set to play as a creative #10/CAM in the A-League (my generalist view anyway).

Also gives some versatility where they could alternate positions during a match.

Anyway, pure speculation at the moment but could be a winner.

1 minute ago, Thrillhouse said:

the account that posted that has predicted newcastle to finish 4th in the league :blink:

player finished his loan at west ham and being sent back to parent club, 1 goal in 19 for west ham :mellow:

Hmmm he's also 24 and represented Argentina in the Olympics. Would take that in a heartbeat over EPL record at a so-so club.

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

It can be so hit and miss with visa players. Reserving judgement until round 1. 

Id say the majority of CFG visa players have been good. I will probably forget someone but Colazo would the only 'disappointment'

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

Id say the majority of CFG visa players have been good. I will probably forget someone but Colazo would the only 'disappointment'

I can understand that perspective. And given CFG have been pretty good (at least from last season oneards) in visa player selections. My point is it's fascinating how the hope of potential in a player can cloud the reality of how successful they will be. Given the fact they haven't even set foot in this league before. 

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic