Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

So we need a LB.
The aussie LB options ATM whom are overseas;

- Brad Smith (Bournemouth) getting no game time whatsoever, could try and get a loan
- Jason Davidson (as reported above)
- Aziz Behich been playing every week so little to no chance of this happening
- Alex Gersbach, again, been playing a bit so little chance but maybe a loan if his playing time reduces 
- James Meredith, I think the most likely option, Plays for bradford atm and is 29, currently in playoffs to get into championship, bradford are going to wembley.
- Callum Elder 22 year old on Leicester's booked but loaned out everywhere, also a good option as a LB

8 hours ago, InMyHeart said:

So we need a LB.
The aussie LB options ATM whom are overseas;

- Brad Smith (Bournemouth) getting no game time whatsoever, could try and get a loan
- Jason Davidson (as reported above)
- Aziz Behich been playing every week so little to no chance of this happening
- Alex Gersbach, again, been playing a bit so little chance but maybe a loan if his playing time reduces 
- James Meredith, I think the most likely option, Plays for bradford atm and is 29, currently in playoffs to get into championship, bradford are going to wembley.
- Callum Elder 22 year old on Leicester's booked but loaned out everywhere, also a good option as a LB

I'd be ecstatic with Aziz but absolutely no chance of getting him

Happy with pretty much any of the others except Davidson. I suppose he's better then Rose but I still don't really rate him. Then again, Mooy was a bit of a reject... Maybe Davidson could come and actually be pretty decent. AS much as I get the idea behind loaning players, I'd prefer getting someone permanently. WE need to start getting some consistency into this team rather then sign duds on 1 year contracts and getting players on loan and then inevitably having to replace 8-10 players every season.

1 minute ago, PORCHO said:

I'd be ecstatic with Aziz but absolutely no chance of getting him

Happy with pretty much any of the others except Davidson. I suppose he's better then Rose but I still don't really rate him. Then again, Mooy was a bit of a reject... Maybe Davidson could come and actually be pretty decent. AS much as I get the idea behind loaning players, I'd prefer getting someone permanently. WE need to start getting some consistency into this team rather then sign duds on 1 year contracts and getting players on loan and then inevitably having to replace 8-10 players every season.

I'd take any at the right price. Davidson is probably the most realistic without paying unreasonable money though (approx 200k or less). I suspect Meredith wants to stay in England and the others arent realistic targets imo.

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I'd take any at the right price. Davidson is probably the most realistic without paying unreasonable money though (approx 200k or less). I suspect Meredith wants to stay in England and the others arent realistic targets imo.

100% but I'm still wary about getting him. I feel like LB is too big of a problem to take a risk but it is what it is. I won't complain if that is all we can get. Much better then Rose... 

19 minutes ago, PORCHO said:

100% but I'm still wary about getting him. I feel like LB is too big of a problem to take a risk but it is what it is. I won't complain if that is all we can get. Much better then Rose... 

I'm not a Davidson fan at all but I feel like he'd be a pretty decent LB at this level.

• Like 5

Don't understand the anti-Davidson chorus. He missed some matches in the middle of the season, but he's playing regularly again in the Eredivisie for Groningen, who finished 8th and are currently in the play-offs for a place in the Europa League.

Surely better than both Rose and Muscat, who were both rejects from their previous A-League clubs?

• Like 4

Just now, jw1739 said:

Don't understand the anti-Davidson chorus. He missed some matches in the middle of the season, but he's playing regularly again in the Eredivisie for Groningen, who finished 8th and are currently in the play-offs for a place in the Europa League.

Surely better than both Rose and Muscat, who were both rejects from their previous A-League clubs?

Absolutely. He'd almost certainly be an improvement, i suppose the concern is whether its worth the extra $100-150k for a player that probably isnt that much better. You might get better bang for your buck by spending that on a CB or winger

I do think some people have too high an expectation when it comes to full backs in the A-League. Good ones over the leagues existence have been rare as hens teeth and when they do succeed, they get whisked off overseas pretty quick. The money just isnt there in the cap to spend on a position like that.

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Absolutely. He'd almost certainly be an improvement, i suppose the concern is whether its worth the extra $100-150k for a player that probably isnt that much better. You might get better bang for your buck by spending that on a CB or winger

I do think some people have too high an expectation when it comes to full backs in the A-League. Good ones over the leagues existence have been rare as hens teeth and when they do succeed, they get whisked off overseas pretty quick. The money just isnt there in the cap to spend on a position like that.

I was happy with Zullo and Garrucio... then we let them go and got Rose instead... 

I'm not exactly Anti Davidson, but as bt50 has said, I feel like for the $$ could be better spent elsewhere... Is he better than Rose... Hell yes! Is he better than Zullo? probably not... and likely to be paid the same if not more... 

7 minutes ago, PORCHO said:

I was happy with Zullo and Garrucio... then we let them go and got Rose instead... 

I'm not exactly Anti Davidson, but as bt50 has said, I feel like for the $$ could be better spent elsewhere... Is he better than Rose... Hell yes! Is he better than Zullo? probably not... and likely to be paid the same if not more... 

I've done this to death here before, but Zullo and Garrucio were bog average for us as full backs. Rose showed more than both of them in our colours. Obv both had great seasons when they left and good luck to them, but when the decision was there to be made both had been given ample opportunity to cement their spot and failed, and whilst i would have kept Zullo on the basis of potential and if he could get a good injury free run at it, I def wouldn't have given him the pay rise that Sydney offered him and ultimately, he took.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 3

not sure they where average. and definitely not better than Rose. Just my opinion. 

Sure they've both stepped up this year but I still think they showed a lot of promise when they played for us... I think them not cementing their spot also had to do with coaching as well as their individual issues(injuries, form etc). 

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I've done this to death here before, but Zullo and Garrucio were bog average for us as full backs. Rose showed more than both of them in our colours. Obv both had great seasons when they left and good luck to them, but when the decision was there to be made both had been given ample opportunity to cement their spot and failed, and whilst i would have kept Zullo on the basis of potential and if he could get a good injury free run at it, I def wouldn't have given him the pay rise that Sydney offered him and ultimately, he took.

Spot on. 

Comentary and opinions based on hindsight really annoy. 

Even Clisby would be a decent option but at the time of his leaving was in the average at best category. 

With any luck we can get a servicable 20 plus game left back and a back up that can contribute for reasonable dollars and concentrate on the spine. Attacking mid and 1 maybe 2 quality center backs.

4 minutes ago, PORCHO said:

not sure they where average. and definitely not better than Rose. Just my opinion. 

Sure they've both stepped up this year but I still think they showed a lot of promise when they played for us... I think them not cementing their spot also had to do with coaching as well as their individual issues(injuries, form etc). 

I definitely disagree there, although its definitely an opinions game tbf. I will say that the fact we've not really ever had good fullbacks is probably more to do with our system under JVS and Bambi than it does with our cattle. Franjic has gone from Socceroo to meh in his time with us for example, and plenty have had much better seasons after leaving.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 3

There's plenty about our game that can be attributed to the average coaching we've had to be honest. Look at our team this season... Perfect 4-3-3 style players... good fluid football with a quick counter attack...

What did we play? slow build up play that was so slow I think you could have got a random from a retirement village to walk from end to end faster then we got the ball there

Edited by PORCHO
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I definitely disagree there, although its definitely an opinions game tbf. I will say that the fact we've not really ever had good fullbacks is probably more to do with our system under JVS and Bambi than it does with our cattle. Franjic has gone from Socceroo to meh in his time with us for example, and plenty have had much better seasons after leaving.

Absolutely right. That's why it is critical that our first signing should be our new manager before we start loading up the squad with players who may very well not fit what he wants to do.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely right. That's why it is critical that our first signing should be our new manager before we start loading up the squad with players who may very well not fit what he wants to do.

You cant sit on your hands and wait forever to hire a manager in the Australian transfer market. CFG have their own style of play and model they want to follow and will get the players in they feel can fit that. I dont think any coach we have had has had a major say on transfers other than JVS in the early heart days. 

13 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

You cant sit on your hands and wait forever to hire a manager in the Australian transfer market. CFG have their own style of play and model they want to follow and will get the players in they feel can fit that. I dont think any coach we have had has had a major say on transfers other than JVS in the early heart days. 

If they are "waiting for ever" then it's their own fault because they haven't got off their arse quickly enough. Everyone in AAMI Park could see that the current coaching team headed by Valkanis just was't up to the job of taking City into Asia. As the season reached its climax the difference between the way City were playing and the way Victory and Sydney were playing was painfully obvious. The search should have started immediately JvS left. It's little or nothing to do with the style that CFG want - and so much to do with the culture at Bundoora.

I can do no better than the following:

13 minutes ago, playmaker said:

We need a respected, imposing, and enforcer-type coach for 3 years who can get everyone on board within the first month or so and cull all the primadonnas and managerial team/players not suited.

He needs to smash the JVS culture to bits and eliminate anyone who doesn't want to do the same.

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If they are "waiting for ever" then it's their own fault because they haven't got off their arse quickly enough. Everyone in AAMI Park could see that the current coaching team headed by Valkanis just was't up to the job of taking City into Asia. As the season reached its climax the difference between the way City were playing and the way Victory and Sydney were playing was painfully obvious. The search should have started immediately JvS left. It's little or nothing to do with the style that CFG want - and so much to do with the culture at Bundoora.

35 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Exactly.

We need a respected, imposing, and enforcer-type coach for 3 years who can get everyone on board within the first month or so and cull all the primadonnas and managerial team/players not suited.

He needs to smash the JVS culture to bits and eliminate anyone who doesn't want to do the same.

So much YES! 100% CFG should have started looking for a TOP replacement the minute JVS left. If the rumours of Valkanis being "considered" are true then that's a scary thought... He should never have been considered... He showed right from the first game that the best he could do is carry on with poor mans version of JVS' game plan which wasn't working

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Couldnt agree more. The CFG way might work in Europe but clearly doesnt work here. Valkanis was just the $$$ factor in paying out JVS. 

The culture has been the same at the club since day one!! No hardarsed approach and let everyone do as they please. ANY CLUB who`s mananger is alowed to sit back and watch training rather than taking training should really hang there heads in shame.

Until the day CFG grow some balls and take the hard line approach (from managers to players to club officals) this club will always be what it is.

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

the fans at groningen are not particularly enamoured with him.  last i heard he was coping buckets of shit from them.  also huddersfield fans sound like they would pay the dutch to keep him

brad smith might actually be an option.  bucket loads of talent.  inconsistent and shy in the club games ive seen.  he really needs the minutes leading up to the world cup - otherwise i would think our chances were slim.

either way no one should be signed until the new boss is confirmed.

12 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

who is this player?? cant find him anywhere

It's Andreas not Anders.

Seems to be solid with ball at foot, good shooting, passing etc, and has great stamina, but seems a bit suspect mentally (not great stats for composure, marking, reactions).

14 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Any truth to rumour we're signing MZ Gorteen's attacking midfield Anders Ludwig Van De Hokenberg?

Looks handy.

I very nearly pinged you for spamming. 

13 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

who is this player?? cant find him anywhere

I'm not surprised. He goes by the name of Andreas Ludwig, and he's most recently been playing for FC Utrecht in the Eredivisie, but hasn't had a lot of minutes in the season just completed (Utrecht finished fourth). He's a diminutive German midfielder/winger.

The use of "unknown" by Transfermarkt simply means that his contract with Utrecht is coming to an end and that he hasn't been signed by any other club at this point in time. What is of interest is that he's 26 and his value according to transfermarkt is increasing. Of course it's possible that CFG have identified him as someone of interest to replace Colazo/Brandan, but there's no rumour as far as I can see.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/andreas-ludwig/profil/spieler/67850

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I very nearly pinged you for spamming. 

I'm not surprised. He goes by the name of Andreas Ludwig, and he's most recently been playing for FC Utrecht in the Eredivisie, but hasn't had a lot of minutes in the season just completed (Utrecht finished fourth). He's a diminutive German midfielder/winger.

The use of "unknown" by Transfermarkt simply means that his contract with Utrecht is coming to an end and that he hasn't been signed by any other club at this point in time. What is of interest is that he's 26 and his value according to transfermarkt is increasing. Of course it's possible that CFG have identified him as someone of interest to replace Colazo/Brandan, but there's no rumour as far as I can see.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/andreas-ludwig/profil/spieler/67850

That makes sense. If we were to purchase him, would he be considered a marquee? I mean he's in a good team, but he doesn't exactly seem like a game changer. 

The one goal he scored this year was the winning goal in the 89th minute of a match. Two minutes later, he got a red for stomping on wonderkid Martin Oodegard, which started a mass brawl.

Edited by Hellenic Hero

5 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

That makes sense. If we were to purchase him, would he be considered a marquee? I mean he's in a good team, but he doesn't exactly seem like a game changer. 

The one goal he scored this year was the winning goal in the 89th minute of a match. Two minutes later, he got a red for stomping on wonderkid Martin Oodegard, which started a mass brawl.

TBH wouldn't see him as a marquee. My first thought is that he could be an injury replacement for Brandan. 

• Like 2

On transfermarket

Players who contracts are expiring are the likes on Fernando Torres, Zabeleta, Martin Caceres, De Rossi ect

Now i now that we will never get these players but it is possible to get someone who played in europe like these guys on a visa. Give David Villa for example, yes it was a joke with what happened with Villa but it is possible to get a good player from europe as shown (and will hopefully not play 5 games then go to NYC 😂)

2 minutes ago, nah brah said:

injury prone.  he wont leave england.  his missus doesnt want to live here.

whats the news on brandan?  imo he's quality and does not need to be replaced.  having fitz and kamau are adequate cover.

Well he's going to be injured for most of next season isn't he ? 

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic