Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

12 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'd prefer to keep Caceras out of the two but on the bright side it gives us an opportunity to recruit a real number 10 and Brattan may be better on the ball if there's better movement off the ball that creates passing options for him

I'd prefer Caceres too. I'm not sure how much say they have on where they will be sent on loan. Based on what I read on the choice of Huddersfield for Mooy, it's a matter of negotiation between CFG/Manchester City and the player/player's agent. In the end I suspect they have to go what they are told.

Nah, keep Brattan and he can play with Kilkenny as the 2 deeper mids in a 4-2-1-3 style (and get a proper visa CAM).

3 at the front can be Fitzy, Tuna and another Visa as Brandan won't be ready (why oh why did Novillo have to be such a penis).

Get another visa (CB) in the back 4 with Jakobsen, find a local LB and hopefully Franjic can recapture his old form and desire at RB. 

Bouzanis *should* improve with a more stable defence.

Caceres can go to Europe and stay there. Rest can fight for the bench, including Cahill who as great as he is, shouldn't be considered a starter at 38.

Get a manager who actually knows his shit and there it is.

My thoughts anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rass said:

Nah, keep Brattan and he can play with Kilkenny as the 2 deeper mids in a 4-2-1-3 style (and get a proper visa CAM).

3 at the front can be Fitzy, Tuna and another Visa as Brandan won't be ready (why oh why did Novillo have to be such a penis).

Get another visa (CB) in the back 4 with Jakobsen, find a local LB and hopefully Franjic can recapture his old form and desire at RB. 

Bouzanis *should* improve with a more stable defence.

Caceres can go to Europe and stay there. Rest can fight for the bench, including Cahill who as great as he is, shouldn't be considered a starter at 38.

Get a manager who actually knows his shit and there it is.

My thoughts anyway.

What happens with the injury replacement player once fernando is ready to resume playing? Does the injury replacement player have to leave?

21 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

What happens with the injury replacement player once fernando is ready to resume playing? Does the injury replacement player have to leave?

Technically yes, but if another injury replacement slot was to open up they good go on to occupy that. Might be trickier in the event of a visa replacement.

1 hour ago, bellydrum said:

Melbourne City plans to appoint overseas coach by end of May

MELBOURNE City are expected to appoint their new coach by the end of the month.

While Michael Valkanis was in contention to keep the job (you've got to be joking DAVUTOVIC !!!!! :hkpalm:)  in the final weeks of the season, it’s almost certain that he will not stay on as head coach after City’s disappointing end to the A-League season.

Valkanis, who joined from Adelaide United at the start of the season, was appointed interim coach after John van’t Schip quit the club in January to return to Holland for family reasons.

It appears interim coach Michael Valkanis is not in City’s plans for the top job. Picture: AAP

It appears interim coach Michael Valkanis is not in City’s plans for the top job. (just found out he didn't get the NPL coaching job either)

Picture: AAPSource: AAP

It’s understood that City Football Group will appoint an overseas coach, with Manchester-based football chief Brian Marwood leading the search. (the sooner the better. no point speculating about anything until the new gaffer arrives)

Marwood was in Melbourne for the final weeks of the season alongside adviser, former England and Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson.

The duo oversaw City’s underwhelming end to the season that ended with a disappointing home elimination final loss to Perth Glory, a week after the chaotic 5-4 loss in Perth.

City chief executive Scott Munn and Melbourne-based football chief Michael Petrillo arrived in Manchester today where they will speak to Marwood to sift through the final shortlist.

Munn and Petrillo return to Melbourne in a fortnight, and an announcement won’t be made until then.

City Group football chief Brian Marwood will pore over the list of candidates for Melbourne’s vacant coaching role. Picture: Nicole Garmston

City Group football chief Brian Marwood will pore over the list of candidates for Melbourne’s vacant coaching role.  (looks like a drug deal going down :ph34r:)

Picture: Nicole GarmstonSource: News Limited

The new coach will be in place by the time Melbourne City players return to training June 19.

“We do not comment on media speculation regarding players or coaches,’’ a City spokesman said.

Midfielder Luke Brattan, who joined on loan from Manchester City at the start of the season, could stay after it was thought he would return to Europe to seek opportunities.

Fellow CFG loanee, midfielder Anthony Caceres has indicated that he wants to have a crack at Europe and could depart.

City has a spot outside the salary cap available alongside striker and captain Bruno Fornaroli after the release of marquee player Nicolas Colazo, with guest marquee Tim Cahill to come back inside the salary cap in his final playing season.

Luke Brattan was left shattered after the elimination final loss to Perth Glory, but it’s possible he could stay at the club. Picture: Getty Images

Luke Brattan was left shattered after the elimination final loss to Perth Glory, but it’s possible he could stay at the club. (pathetic, you should be ashamed of your performances. mostly spent the year content with being on CFG's books and bragging to chicks about your Manchester City connection - we have the dirt on u boy, nothing escapes our spies ;))

Picture: Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images

Left-back Josh Rose and attackers Corey Gameiro and Steve Kuzmanovski have also been released.

Fernando Brandan, who is recovering from a knee reconstruction, player of the year Neil Kilkenny and Danish defender Michael Jakobsen are among the players contracted for next season. (good news here :up:)

City is in the market for a midfielder, keeper and a left-back.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tomi said:

Heard from a mate City just signed a kid called John Roberts. Anyone know him? or confirm rumour?

He's been a part of the Joey's squad for the last year or so, currently with the (soon to be defunct) FFA COE and plays as a striker, so looks as if it could be the Gamiero replacement.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/joeys-john-roberts-melbourne-victorys-sebastian-pasquali-star-as-aussies-sparkle/23go9cbp45zb1c18qyvmljic9

3 hours ago, JrodMac92 said:

He's been a part of the Joey's squad for the last year or so, currently with the (soon to be defunct) FFA COE and plays as a striker, so looks as if it could be the Gamiero replacement.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/joeys-john-roberts-melbourne-victorys-sebastian-pasquali-star-as-aussies-sparkle/23go9cbp45zb1c18qyvmljic9

I seen a bit of him at the AFF u16 tournament, probably one of Australia's most promising young strikers 

6 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Neville released by Wanderers.

A handy RB  

We already have RB covered with  Franjic and the kid Dylan Pierias. Not to mention Retre can play there as well. 

Australia youth international Ryan Williams has been released by English Championship club Barnsley.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/another-williams-becomes-a-free-agent-461331

Thoughts? Not sure if we need another right winger.

IIRC we've been linked with Nichols before haven't we, but nothing has come of it.

At this time of year every agent worth his money is hawking his out-of-contract players around the various clubs. "Talks with City" can mean anything between the agent spending five minutes on the 'phone with Petrillo and full contract negotiations. City keep their cards so close to their chest that I don't take any notice of this type of rumour.

Our first official signing so far seems to be Snowy Mountain Natural Spring Water - on a one-year contract.

If Davutovic is correct we're going to hear about our new manager before anything else.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If Davutovic is correct we're going to hear about our new manager before anything else.

Agree. ...and if Petrillo and Munn are in Manchester now, i can't see how we could possibly even think of signing players right now. Surely won't happen until they come back with the coach decided. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

1 minute ago, rass said:

Agree. ...and if Petrillo and Munn are in Manchester now, i can't see how we could possibly even think of signing players right now. Surely won't happen until they come back with the coach decided. 

You would think that that's the only logical way to begin.

Maybe just maybe they (CFG ) will finally get all the decisions right. They have done alot of good but still a few howlers.

• Like 1

Nichols is worth more than just a look, and certainly has solid A League experience / perigee. Double winner at Brisbane, was runner up in both league / grand final last season with Western Sydney, the tards and Glory teams were solid teams too; all of which Nichols was a regular.

Tards have released a few today, including Nic Ansell. Solid Melbourne based Central Defender maybe?

55 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Nichols is worth more than just a look, and certainly has solid A League experience / perigee. Double winner at Brisbane, was runner up in both league / grand final last season with Western Sydney, the tards and Glory teams were solid teams too; all of which Nichols was a regular.

Tards have released a few today, including Nic Ansell. Solid Melbourne based Central Defender maybe?

I would definitely look at ansell

Another i would consider (i may get smashed)  is Aryn Williams, as a squad defender.  He can play across entire back 4 and although he isn't spectacular he is solid of what I've seen of him.  He isn't a signing that will win us league,  but he could provide cover in a few positions 

4 hours ago, neio said:

I would definitely look at ansell

Another i would consider (i may get smashed)  is Aryn Williams, as a squad defender.  He can play across entire back 4 and although he isn't spectacular he is solid of what I've seen of him.  He isn't a signing that will win us league,  but he could provide cover in a few positions 

If it's not good enough for victory it should not be enough for us 

9 hours ago, Chris p said:

If it's not good enough for victory it should not be enough for us 

But a better CB than Malik, has better basic football skills. Anyway think he will be heading to the Jets following Georgievski

Edited by Mr MO

On 2017-5-11 at 10:42 PM, n i k o said:

Oh please no. I hate that cunt as much as Berisha. 

yeah he's not going to do much to repair the attitude problem in the squad.  we need a creative 10 anyway not just another pair of legs.  

if we are looking for a work horse i'd prefer to see a move made to try and lure mauk back.  whatever happens i just hope a manager is appointed well before any squad decisions/signings are made.  it would be dumb as fuck to approach it any other way.  

i have plenty of players i'd like bought in but there is not much point getting too bogged down until we know who the new boss is and how they like their teams to line up.  the signings i would think necessary are gonna be very different if we bring in a 3-4-3 or 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 boss.  

no matter who the boss or their style we definitely need a second first string centre back to work with jakobsen.  malik and tongyik cannot be the first choice centre backs.  

Edited by nah brah
  • Like 3

• jw1739 pinned this topic