Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Interesting

ttps://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/gallifuocos-relegation-relief-460182

Australian defender Giancarlo Gallifuoco has expressed his relief after his English club Torquay United avoided the drop out of the National League.

Gallifuoco spent three years in England with Tottenham and Swansea City before signing for Melbourne Victory. The 23-year old described his season with Torquay as "incredible".

Gallifuoco is now off-contract and is considering his next move. A return home to the A-League, or staying on in the UK, has not been ruled out by the former Olyroo.

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Interesting

Australian defender Giancarlo Gallifuoco has expressed his relief after his English club Torquay United avoided the drop out of the National League.

Gallifuoco spent three years in England with Tottenham and Swansea City before signing for Melbourne Victory. The 23-year old described his season with Torquay as "incredible".

Gallifuoco is now off-contract and is considering his next move. A return home to the A-League, or staying on in the UK, has not been ruled out by the former Olyroo.

Players from the National League?

Edited by Mr MO

8 hours ago, playmaker said:

Interesting

Seriously, if he's found his level at Torquay United, he really isn't good enough for us.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Haz has posted the link to the Salary Cap Rules above. These rules apply to the senior squad. The youth squad is a different beast. The club signs around 15 players to youth contracts, and these sit outside the senior squad and therefore outside the salary cap. These youth players are eligible to play in the A-League, and indeed FFA encourages the use of these players as injury replacements instead of bringing in additional players to fill that role. So really the squad available for A-League matches is around 40 players - it's just that some must be youth players as defined.

Overall the rules are complex but, as Jovan says, CFG will be right on top of them.

Was going thru them before posting, couldn't figure out with the "maximum of 6 NYL or schlorship youth players" if all 6 actually had to be included in the 23 player squad, or if it could be 3+3 (for memory that's how it's been recently - could be my memory is bad)

46 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Was going thru them before posting, couldn't figure out with the "maximum of 6 NYL or schlorship youth players" if all 6 actually had to be included in the 23 player squad, or if it could be 3+3 (for memory that's how it's been recently - could be my memory is bad)

Contracted NYL Players/ Scholarship Players – Each Club can contract up to 6 under 20 Australian Players on the minimum youth salary (Contracted NYL Players) or national minimum wage (Scholarship Players). Any payments above the minimum youth salary or national minimum wage (whichever is applicable) to these Players are included in the Club’s Salary Cap; - See more at: http://www.a-league.com.au/about#sthash.TeIKFkxd.dpuf
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/about#wl6oSeDO1f4F0E0K.99

For example, if we contract 6 Scholarship players, what the above says is that it is only any payments in excess of the national minimum wage that will have to be included in the salary cap.

In other words, you can have up to 6 additional U-20 Australian players but as long as they are paid no more than the minimum youth salary or the national minimum wage, whichever is applicable, then none of those payments count towards the cap.

IMO as rule changes are made to allow more and more payments to be made outside the cap, the arguments for removing it altogether are becoming stronger.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Contracted NYL Players/ Scholarship Players – Each Club can contract up to 6 under 20 Australian Players on the minimum youth salary (Contracted NYL Players) or national minimum wage (Scholarship Players). Any payments above the minimum youth salary or national minimum wage (whichever is applicable) to these Players are included in the Club’s Salary Cap; - See more at: http://www.a-league.com.au/about#sthash.TeIKFkxd.dpuf
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/about#wl6oSeDO1f4F0E0K.99

For example, if we contract 6 Scholarship players, what the above says is that it is only any payments in excess of the national minimum wage that will have to be included in the salary cap.

In other words, you can have up to 6 additional U-20 Australian players but as long as they are paid no more than the minimum youth salary or the national minimum wage, whichever is applicable, then none of those payments count towards the cap.

IMO as rule changes are made to allow more and more payments to be made outside the cap, the arguments for removing it altogether are becoming stronger.

I get the salary cap element, but just so we're clear, when I'm talking about the squad cap I'm not meaning the actual salary cap but the 20-23 players that must be on a squad list at any given stage. The wording makes it very messy since it doesn't really mention if all 6 players must be counted in 20-23 players "officially" on the senior list. 

Since we must have three on the books as per the squad number quotas (ie similar to maximum 5 visas) I'm guessing that the rule works as a 3+1,+2, etc for the squad - but am seeking a clarification.

8 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

I get the salary cap element, but just so we're clear, when I'm talking about the squad cap I'm not meaning the actual salary cap but the 20-23 players that must be on a squad list at any given stage. The wording makes it very messy since it doesn't really mention if all 6 players must be counted in 20-23 players "officially" on the senior list. 

Since we must have three on the books as per the squad number quotas (ie similar to maximum 5 visas) I'm guessing that the rule works as a 3+1,+2, etc for the squad - but am seeking a clarification.

Up to now I had assumed that they are outside the numbers cap. For example, Braedyn Crowley, signed on a Scholarship contract last season, has never been listed in the A-League squad on the club web-site. Also, why would you fill up your 23+3 squad limit with another 3 U-20 players when you can sign them to the NYL and still play them in the seniors any time you want to?

But I must admit I'm no longer sure! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Up to now I had assumed that they are outside the numbers cap. For example, Braedyn Crowley, signed on a Scholarship contract last season, has never been listed in the A-League squad on the club web-site. Also, why would you fill up your 23+3 squad limit with another 3 U-20 players when you can sign them to the NYL and still play them in the seniors any time you want to?

But I must admit I'm no longer sure! 

Totally agree and why I find the new system unclear.  

Particularly with the FFA Centre of Excellence going.  If they want clubs to invest properly, the limit of six actually seems ridiculously low and inadequately structured.

3 hours ago, sharpy said:

Can't hurt to trial him though

I agree. I don't think we should automatically reject a player just because he's spent a season in the National League. He's played for Australia at U-17, U-20 and U-23 level. 6ft 2in, defender (we're sadly short of those) and just turned 23 (January). Are we saying that Melbourne City can't ever take a young player and actually improve him? (Cue for discussion on Kamau, Tongyik et al.)  Are we condemned forever to just sign oldies like Rose and Muscat etc. and watch them get worse? I certainly hope not. IMO no harm in giving him a few matches in the NPL to have a look at him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I agree. I don't think we should automatically reject a player just because he's spent a season in the National League. He's played for Australia at U-17, U-20 and U-23 level. 6ft 2in, defender (we're sadly short of those) and just turned 23 (January). Are we saying that Melbourne City can't ever take a young player and actually improve him? (Cue for discussion on Kamau, Tongyik et al.)  Are we condemned forever to just sign oldies like Rose and Muscat etc. and watch them get worse? I certainly hope not. IMO no harm in giving him a few matches in the NPL to have a look at him.

I'd be sceptical jw.  He's played at bigger clubs, but not made it, and fallen down the pyramid to the basement of English League 2. And now he's been released from there.  I don't know the player or his circumstances but we need to be signing players who are English Championship, good League 1 standard.  I don't get a vibe that this guy is at that level.  Having said that he's a defender, and we are short...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Seriously, if he's found his level at Torquay United, he really isn't good enough for us.

8 hours ago, sharpy said:

Can't hurt to trial him though

certainly worth a trial.  and cant be much worse than Nikolai Toper Stanley in a sense - how that hack of a defender played 200+ A League games defies me.

New thread rule. Only post in here when you have a rumour or a transfer. Sick of seeing this thread posted into, getting my hopes up, only to open it and seeing some mundane crap posted by some fuck nugget :hoff:

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dylan said:

New thread rule. Only post in here when you have a rumour or a transfer. Sick of seeing this thread posted into, getting my hopes up, only to open it and seeing some mundane crap posted by some fuck nugget :hoff:

Ruud Gullit. Just because i saw him on BeIN the other day so thought I'd throw his name in too 🖒

Not against Robbie Kruse. It would be pretty easy for him to pop a wig on and play for the womens team too. Need to take advantage of these Gender fluid status' floating around in sport these days like that bloke who kicks the fuck out of chicks in MMA.

2 hours ago, rass said:

Ruud Gullit. Just because i saw him on BeIN the other day so thought I'd throw his name in too 🖒

Lol

That said and it might have been the eighties, but one of very few players to rock an outlandish haircut. How cool were his dreads!!!

Next manager maybe?

Edited by mattyh001

16 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Have it on good authority that a contract has been offered to Troisi. 

I hope not. Will be 29 before next season. Fed up with us signing hacks from other A-League clubs.

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I hope not. Will be 29 before next season. Fed up with us signing hacks from other A-League clubs.

Hack is incredibly harsh, had an extremely good season and it seems the Tards are trying to keep him around.

This would be more of a statement of intent than a hack signing IMO, maybe something akin to what the Mancs did with Tevez.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I actually think he's a gun at a-league standard, just plays for a fukd up club...

However i agree he is shithouse at anything above a-league, including internationals.

33 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Lol, as if he's a hack. He's just made the team of the season, something none of our front six could do and taken Victory from 6th placed team to a GF. Sure he's prob not the sexiest option around, but he's a hell of a lot better than a hack.

• Like 4

Would take Troisi for three reasons.

1) Dude is a gun, and currently one of the best players in the league.

2) Scored the winner in the Asian Cup Final, therefore will always be an Aussie legend in my eyes.

3) Nobody in Melbourne would ever have to buy salt ever again as Victory fans would produce enough to season every meal between now and the end of time.

• Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic