Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

16 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Seeing his possible falling out with the tards, I am throwing the idea of  FAHID Ben Khalfallah's value to us. He is a quality quality and experienced A- league player so worth a look for next season I would say.

Big NO from me.  Well past his best.  

55 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Seeing his possible falling out with the tards, I am throwing the idea of  FAHID Ben Khalfallah's value to us. He is a quality and experienced A- league player so worth a look for next season I would say.

Pass as well. No gypsies at MCFC thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Seeing his possible falling out with the tards, I am throwing the idea of  FAHID Ben Khalfallah's value to us. He is a quality and experienced A- league player so worth a look for next season I would say.

If we are going to continue to play a pressing possession game then we don't need another player who won't defend

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

Has FBK shown quality but Diego Castro is the man for me. Would fill Mooy's shoes no problems and would complement Bruno nicely. Still playing superbly - would be 35 yr this July if that's an issue. I think coming off contract end of this season.

• Like 1

It's the coaching. Every season, I start thinking that the players are not good enough, that they can't adapt, and as each season progresses I eat my words and focus once again as to why our coaching cannot create game plans that suit the players strength, why non-performers continually get selected, and on and on and on. Then resignation sits in knowing full well that the coach will not be replaced. As for Aaron Mooy, well he is unique in that he rose above the coaching.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Baka1 said:

Our foreign players haven't been an issue in the last couple of seasons, it's the dud Aussie players (bar Mooy) that seem to be the problem.

I'd disagree. Not necessarily with the recruitment of foreigners in general but more so getting all our foreigners on the pitch at the same time. That has been an issue for us since our inception. Pretty sure this season is the first where we had all 5 foreigners playing at one time. 

Edited by n i k o

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I'd disagree. Not necessarily with the recruitment of foreigners in general but more so getting all our foreigners on the pitch at the same time. That has been an issue for us since our inception. Pretty sure this season is the first where we had all 5 foreigners playing at one time

How many times have we actually done that this season though? Can't be many, because Sorensen has been on the bench for most matches, Jakobsen has been missing for 7-8 matches, Colazo for several, and Brandan has spent quite a bit of time on the bench.

FMD, when you actually dig into things there are some bizarre coaching decisions. It isn't really surprising that there's a lot of disappointment for the fans.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

How many times have we actually done that this season though? Can't be many, because Sorensen has been on the bench for most matches, Jakobsen has been missing for 7-8 matches, Colazo for several, and Brandan has spent quite a bit of time on the bench.

FMD, when you actually dig into things there are some bizarre coaching decisions. It isn't really surprising that there's a lot of disappointment for the fans.

Exactly the point. Not many times. 

4 hours ago, japiedog said:

Brendan Rodgers ??

or  Fernando Brandan ?

Brandan (if that's who you mean) is on a 2-year contract.

1 hour ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Galekovic is basically a done deal. Also have a strong feeling we'll be looking at Carrusca.

Galekovic will be 36 in June. That's not a prohibitive age for a GK. Sorensen is 40 now.

11 minutes ago, haz said:

Also why the fuck are we potentially looking at these players without a manager??

No idea. Doesn't make sense to me either. Unless our new man is already signed up and is being consulted.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Brandan (if that's who you mean) is on a 2-year contract.

Galekovic will be 36 in June. That's not a prohibitive age for a GK. Sorensen is 40 now.

It's not just his age per se, it's the fact he's really been nothing special for a couple seasons now 

• Like 1

What I want to see next season, is a balanced squad with 2 people fighting for each position. Creating depth and healthy competition. Also with the hope of qualifications for acl one of our visa players being asian

GK - Bouzanis, Australian backup

RB - Franjic,  Muscat

CB - Jakobsen, Tongyik, Visa, Australian back up

LB - 2 new Australians 

DM - Kilkenny,  Malik

CM - Brattan, Back up Australian 

AM - Marquee Visa, Caceras 

RW - Kamau,  Fitzgerald 

ST - Fornaroli, Cahill

LW - Visa,  Kuzi 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neio said:

What I want to see next season, is a balanced squad with 2 people fighting for each position. Creating depth and healthy competition. Also with the hope of qualifications for acl one of our visa players being asian

GK - Bouzanis, Australian backup

RB - Franjic,  Muscat

CB - Jakobsen, Tongyik, Visa, Australian back up

LB - 2 new Australians 

DM - Kilkenny,  Malik

CM - Brattan, Back up Australian 

AM - Marquee Visa, Caceras 

RW - Kamau,  Fitzgerald 

ST - Fornaroli, Cahill

LW - Visa,  Kuzi 

At RB our back up can be Pierias, I'd let Muscat go.  In midfield I'd be trying to get rid of Malik, and expecting Genreau to step up (albeit that they don't play exactly the same role).  We may as well make use of some of our youth talent to make space elsewhere in the salary cap. Several of them are great prospects, and if they're good enough, they are old enough for first team contracts.  In general however, I can't disagree with much of this.

Inevitably we'll lose some players we want to keep, and knowing our luck, not be able to get rid of some we don't want...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

At RB our back up can be Pierias, I'd let Muscat go.  In midfield I'd be trying to get rid of Malik, and expecting Genreau to step up (albeit that they don't play exactly the same role).  We may as well make use of some of our youth talent to make space elsewhere in the salary cap. Several of them are great prospects, and if they're good enough, they are old enough for first team contracts.  In general however, I can't disagree with much of this.

Inevitably we'll lose some players we want to keep, and knowing our luck, not be able to get rid of some we don't want...

Club really needs to get the manager position finalised before rebuilding the squad, or we'll end up not getting a good match between the manager and the players.

Malik and Muscat are both contracted for next season and it may not be easy to move them on. I'd be comfortable with Caceres playing for us again next season, but not so sure on Brattan. I'm still hopeful that one day we'll see a young prospect or two from Manchester getting a season of senior football with us, although the Lampard Rule has made that more difficult.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Man it would be harsh if we threw Gameiro and Kuzi on the scrap heap, they deserve their chance at redemption 

Imo, Kuzi yes (1 year contract) but I think Gameiro has had his chance unfortunately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, haz said:

Imo, Kuzi yes (1 year contract) but I think Gameiro has had his chance unfortunately.

Interesting to look back (with the benefit of hindsight). Gameiro was offered another contract (not sure of duration) at Sydney, but only on the minimum wage because of his injury. He came to us because we offered more. Arnold was right, van 't Schip was wrong.

IMO the current way A-League clubs have to deal with injured players should be improved. As it stands, because of the caps that apply to the A-League senior squad, a club will more than likely not renew the contract of a player who has had a serious injury such as a ruptured ACL, and it's likely that no other club will sign them either. Meaning likely end of career. I can't see why clubs could not be allowed to keep a couple of such players on minimum wage outside the cap if that's what both parties agree to. It might offer a way for them to ultimately resume their careers, with less pressure to "get them back on the field."

IIRC Gameiro's latest injury was in training at Townsville back in September 2016. Now we have Brandan's injury, also at training. Hmm - food for thought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO the current way A-League clubs have to deal with injured players should be improved. As it stands, because of the caps that apply to the A-League senior squad, a club will more than likely not renew the contract of a player who has had a serious injury such as a ruptured ACL, and it's likely that no other club will sign them either. Meaning likely end of career. I can't see why clubs could not be allowed to keep a couple of such players on minimum wage outside the cap if that's what both parties agree to. It might offer a way for them to ultimately resume their careers, with less pressure to "get them back on the field."

IIRC Gameiro's latest injury was in training at Townsville back in September 2016. Now we have Brandan's injury, also at training. Hmm - food for thought.

I think that you are onto something but the specific issue with Gameiro is not that he had one ACL injury but two (or is it three?) and therefore the risk increases that he could have another one. Any club will think twice about players with injury history of this magnitude. And in my books I would never sign players with a history of soft tissue injuries or ACLs. Should such players be kept outside of the system? Well the FFA provide for injury replacement and the salary is most likely covered by insurance. However, the idea of a player being able to resume their careers is interesting.

• jw1739 pinned this topic