Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

18 minutes ago, kingawesomeness said:

Can we just merge clubs already?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chris p said:

God i hope that story is bullshit, Who would be in charge of signing players for next season ?

Michael Petrillo is in charge of "talent management." We tried to get McGowan for this current season but he didn't want to play for us.

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Would not be signing anyone until the new manager decides who he wants. 

this is a way to entice gombau to take JVS position when he leaves. Petrillo and Valkanis worked with gombau at adelaide so would know which players he really rated. seems like too many midfielders and what this team needs, even with gombau in charge is a quality centre back and a a dedicated left wing back. 

Last night they said on TV that Sydney were trying to get Rhys Williams from Perth. If he is available that is someone we need,  central defender who is also comfortable as a defensive mid, and has also played out wide in defense for national team.  He would fit into a back 3 perfectly 

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

Hoping for some player movement in January ...

Can we get a 10 match guest player? 

We've got two out for the remainder of the season, so why aren't we trying for an injury replacement there? We should be looking for a permanent replacement for at least Gameiro anyway - IMO he won't play football again.

Sorensen should be encouraged to retire and free up his visa place.

If Chapman wasn't injured, then he didn't even make the bench last night so we ought to be encouraging him to move on.

Can we fit in Lampard somehow?

Here we go again...another big turnover in the squad...

Edited by jw1739

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We've got two out for the remainder of the season, so why aren't we trying for an injury replacement there? We should be looking for a permanent replacement for at least Gameiro anyway - IMO he won't play football again.

If Chapman wasn't injured, then he didn't even make the bench last night so we ought to be encouraging him to move on.

I think the reason we haven't got an injury replacement is both gamiero and kuzi woukd be on very small wages,  and the replacement has to be same amount. So there really may not be anyone who we can bring in on that wage that would make us any better. With the window now opening we may find someone who isn't happy at their club who comes over for an opportunity like fitzy last season 

39 minutes ago, neio said:

I think the reason we haven't got an injury replacement is both gamiero and kuzi woukd be on very small wages,  and the replacement has to be same amount. So there really may not be anyone who we can bring in on that wage that would make us any better. With the window now opening we may find someone who isn't happy at their club who comes over for an opportunity like fitzy last season 

IMO we should try an NPL player on a 6 month contract, nothing to lose.

28 minutes ago, haz said:

IMO we should try an NPL player on a 6 month contract, nothing to lose.

I think we have purposely waited until now as there is always players who leave their club in January due to various reasons. Eg someone like blackwood at Sydney, looks an OK player but never plays due to all their others.  We could give someone like him the opportunity 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Indeed.  I suspect Chapman is on his way, and Sorensen may retire.  We desperately need defensive reinforcements.

Would throw the kitchen sink at signing Martinez from WSW...olympiakos will be unlikely to want him back.

just in regards to Ange, the reason why he wasn't looked at for the job in the beginning was because Peter sidwell is married to Ange's ex wife. 

Edited by Geo400
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, neio said:

I think we have purposely waited until now as there is always players who leave their club in January due to various reasons. Eg someone like blackwood at Sydney, looks an OK player but never plays due to all their others.  We could give someone like him the opportunity 

Yeah we're crying out for a third striker 

27 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Yeah we're crying out for a third striker 

I didn't mean him specifically, he was the first person that came into my head who doesn't play due to lack of opportunity 

If it was up to me,  I'd be going straight to Perth and going for whichever one of Lowry,  grant or Williams they want least 

I'd like to give a shout out to Michael Petrillo for allowing Zullo, Clisby and Garuccio to leave the club and then replacing them with Josh Rose. And also for putting together a squad with arguably the 3 best finishers in the league but no playmaker. Well done.

I can't wait to see which Adelaide players/staff we sign next.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, neio said:

I didn't mean him specifically, he was the first person that came into my head who doesn't play due to lack of opportunity 

If it was up to me,  I'd be going straight to Perth and going for whichever one of Lowry,  grant or Williams they want least 

Why would we want another defender from arguably the worst form team of the comp atm ? 

Our biggest problem is not the squad. The temptation is to try and solve the issues with 'individual brilliance', there's certainly a role for those players in the team and we have more than our share anyway. We all know what the real problem is and we can't solve that through recruiting (apart from recruiting a good coach)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Our biggest problem is not the squad. The temptation is to try and solve the issues with 'individual brilliance', there's certainly a role for those players in the team and we have more than our share anyway. We all know what the real problem is and we can't solve that through recruiting (apart from recruiting a good coach)

I agree 100%. But as bad as JVS is, we can't attribute poor recruitment solely to him. Other members of the football department should not escape scrutiny.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I agree 100%. But as bad as JVS is, we can't attribute poor recruitment solely to him. Other members of the football department should not escape scrutiny.

It's the recruitment of players that has left us with inadequate cover for injury in central defence, that has recruited players which we don't appear to want to pick, who aren't good enough when they are picked, which has left us short in defence but overloaded elsewhere on the pitch, and has left us vulnerable to the injury or suspension of key players.  The coaching can be blamed for a lot including unfathomable selections and formations, inexplicable declines in form and so on, but not everything...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

It's the recruitment of players that has left us with inadequate cover for injury in central defence, that has recruited players which we don't appear to want to pick, who aren't good enough when they are picked, which has left us short in defence but overloaded elsewhere on the pitch, and has left us vulnerable to the injury or suspension of key players.  The coaching can be blamed for a lot including unfathomable selections and formations, inexplicable declines in form and so on, but not everything...

Other than the minor points you've listed, we're learning and improving, everyone's talking about our football, new players are coming into the team, the new members of the squad are coming along nicely, and generally "we're in a good place." I don't really know what you're complaining about...

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

wouldnt be surpirsed if we go all out in the Jan window given that JVS has nothing to lose. Chapman and Retre I can see going 

If they go, would that be all the group of younger players that we made such a noise about re-signing less than 12 months ago?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jessee Jenkinson said:

Why don't City go for Rhys Williams who has just departed Perth glory 

Not according to Kenny Lowe. Has stated that Williams is contracted for another year at least and did not get selected because they were trying a new (to them) system, 3.5.2. Sydney have already asked for him.

• jw1739 pinned this topic