Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

4 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

Surely we should be looking for a Gameiro injury replacement. He'd be on above minimum coin and is going to be out the entire season. Surely that could begin to be enticing for someone half decent looking for a club. Would we be limited to Australian players or can an injury replacement be anyone?

Limited to the player you are replacing. I reckon perhaps Gavin De Niese is worth a look if we are talking like for like, otherwise Crowley is fine. Perhaps Lujic from SM might be worth a crack? Not sure he'd take the spot given he'd be behind Bruno and Cahill in the pecking order.
Moving outside of the striker position, obviously another CB would be ideal.

Edited by bt50

26 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Limited to the player you are replacing. I reckon perhaps Gavin De Niese is worth a look if we are talking like for like, otherwise Crowley is fine. Perhaps Lujic from SM might be worth a crack? Not sure he'd take the spot given he'd be behind Bruno and Cahill in the pecking order.
Moving outside of the striker position, obviously another CB would be ideal.

Yes, if we are looking anywhere, another CB would be my preference too.  I don't see real weakness in the squad anywhere else.  Whether we have the tactics to exploit that strength is another matter.

Melbourne City FC can announce the signing of Argentine winger Nicolas Colazo ahead of the Hyundai A-League 2016/17 season.

The left-footed attacking midfielder signs on a season-long loan deal from Argentine club Boca Juniors, joining Melbourne City as the Club’s second marquee player for the upcoming A-League season.

Born in Buenos Aires, Colazo joined Boca’s youth academy at the age of nine, making 106 appearances and scoring five goals in Argentina’s top flight since breaking into the first team in 2009.

Along with a brief loan stint at Argentine side All Boys, Colazo enjoyed a successful spell with his hometown club, winning both the Primera Division title and Copa Argentina trophy on two occasions.

Colazo, 26, arrived in Melbourne on Monday and passed his medical at the City Football Academy on Tuesday.

“Head Coach John van’t Schip said: “Nicolas will provide us with an important versatility on the left; he is able to play and transition well across attack and defence; qualities we require to further strengthen our squad and suit our style of play.”

“Given his experience in South America and the fact he is still at an age we can maximise his potential, we believe Nicolas will be a strong contributor to our squad.”

Colazo will occupy the Club’s fifth and final visa spot alongside Danish duo Thomas Sorensen and Michael Jakobsen, Uruguayan Bruno Fornaroli and fellow Argentine Fernando Brandan, and will wear the number 9 jersey.

Melbourne City FC A-League Squad (2016/17): 1. Thomas Sorensen (GK), 2. Manny Muscat, 3. Josh Rose, 4. Connor Chapman, 5. Ivan Franjic, 6. Osama Malik, 7. Corey Gameiro, 8. Neil Kilkenny, 9. Nicolas Colazo, 10. Anthony Caceres, 11. Bruce Kamau, 12. Nick Fitzgerald, 14. Daniel Arzani, 17. Tim Cahill, 18. Paulo Retre, 20. Dean Bouzanis (GK), 21. Ruon Tongyik, 22. Michael Jakobsen, 23. Bruno Fornaroli, 26. Luke Brattan, 27. Fernando Brandan, 28. Steve Kuzmanovski, 29. Braedyn Crowley (S)

S = Scholarship Player

Player Profile
Nicolas Colazo
DOB: 08/07/1990
Nationality: Argentinian
Previous clubs: Boca Juniors (Argentina), All Boys (Argentina)
Accolades: Argentine Primera Division (2011/12, 2015), Copa Argentina (2011/12, 2014/15)

- See more at: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-signs-colazo/4o9pwl9nm3gh1nw63itqgpj5f#sthash.3hcn4CEP.dpuf
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-signs-colazo/4o9pwl9nm3gh1nw63itqgpj5f#qwYQEH08Mz6wo4IJ.99Melbourne City FC can confirm it has agreed the transfer of Aaron Mooy to City Football Group sister club Manchester City FC, with the midfielder signing a three-year deal with the English Premier League outfit.
Mooy, 25, joined Melbourne City in mid-2014 and has since developed into one of the most talented midfielders in Australia’s domestic competition.

In Mooy, Manchester City have secured a technically gifted and attack-minded player who has featured in 53 league matches across two seasons for Melbourne City, advancing to become a creative, committed and intuitive midfielder.

A two-time Player of the Year at Melbourne City, Mooy carried his exceptional form from his first season into the most recent A-League campaign, scoring 11 times and contributing 21 assists – a record in competition history.

Emerging as a rising star for the Australian national team, his move to the two-time Premier League Champion will provide access to world class support networks offered by City Football Group.

Brian Marwood, Managing Director, City Football Services, said; “Aaron is an extremely talented player who possesses the attributes we hope to foster and encourage within the City Football Group.

“With the unique model CFG provides, Aaron’s move to Manchester allows us to further expose him to a high standard of opportunities to ensure his professional growth.” 

As Melbourne City’s squad evolves, Australian defensive midfielder Luke Brattan will join on loan from Manchester City for the forthcoming season, marking Head Coach John van’t Schip’s fifth new signing ahead of the 2016/17 campaign.

Brattan joined Championship club Bolton Wanderers on loan before returning to Manchester City to train and progress in the world-class environment at the City Football Academy, Manchester.

The three-time Hyundai A-League Championship winner returns to Australia where he made 91 appearances for Brisbane Roar before signing for Manchester City in October 2015.

Brattan played a vital role for Roar as a talented holding midfielder across six A-League seasons and will link up with Melbourne City following the return to pre-season training next Monday, June 27.

Speaking of his move Brattan said, “ My experience in England has been a fantastic one and, thanks to my time at the City Football Academy, I have never felt more prepared for a season.  I’m delighted to be joining Melbourne City ahead of what I’m sure will be a really exciting season and I can’t wait to get started.”

Anthony Caceres has extended his loan deal with Melbourne City until the end of the 2016/17 season after joining the Club in January 2016, with the Manchester City loanee provided further opportunities to mature in Melbourne.

The midfielder made 11 appearances for the City during the 2015/16 season, scoring his first goal for the Club against Brisbane Roar in the Round 24 win at AAMI Park.

van’t Schip said Caceres and Brattan would add a dynamic element to City’s midfield structure, while he wished Mooy success in his latest career move.

“Aaron was a fantastic contributor to Melbourne City and we must first and foremost thank him for his involvement and impact during his time at the Club,” van’t Schip said.

“He is deserving of his new opportunity and we wish him all the best for the future.

“Luke will be a fantastic addition to our squad; he has long been recognised as an impressive young talent in Australia, and we are looking forward to what he can bring to our midfield, particularly after his experience overseas.

“Anthony joined us in January and has been an important member of the squad since his arrival. His performances during the final matches of the regular season have demonstrated his notable talent.

“We are delighted to have these two players on board as we begin our preparations for the new campaign.”

- See more at: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-player-update/1n1zdb8j3i7f6146kxvdiez250#sthash.KF7NGcxr.dpuf
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-player-update/1n1zdb8j3i7f6146kxvdiez250#EqvgvVCLBOC104Vs.99

city-signs-colazo_1e9x9hm454rog1bged9vq4rro0.png

On 26/08/2016 at 1:15 AM, Tesla said:

This is what will happen (prepare green lines):

We will sign a 30yo+ centre back

"herererererer old slow injury #yoof herererererer"

Will be a wall in defence

Will save our ass many times

We finish 2nd-4th

JVS survives

Interdasting.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, InMyHeart said:

Something a bit out of left field but I'd love to see happen. 

Get Manchester City to buy Terry Antonis off PAOK in January, give him a pay day and either loan him off to a championship team, or just get him Training at CFA in manchester.
Then look to loan him to us in 17/18.

He's the same type of player as Brattan and Kilkenny 

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

Pretty sure we tried to sign him last season 

Yep, I seem to recall we went in quite hard to sign him but he decided to sign a new deal with WP.

He has his moments of brilliance but seems to be very inconsistent. 

Edited by Heart_fan

What I find most interesting is that if we have made enquiries it pretty much confirms that sorenson is going in January

And if he does go and we have a visa spot,  I hope we don't use it on Bonevacia as I don't see where he fits in,  he doesn't play in front if Kilkenny,  Brattan or cahill. 

I'd prefer a 2nd visa CB to partner jakobsen and them probably tell Chapman his opportunities are limited 

8 minutes ago, tommac said:

Bonavacia used to play as a CB before he came out to Wellington. Perhaps that's where we would play him? He would fit that weird CB/CDM role that Malik and Kilkenny have been playing a bit. 

Really. Didn't know that. I still think Kilkenny is at minimum equal to Bonavacia plus he is very vocal which is a super quality. 

He seems to be a bit of a sook onfield, a few times I've seen him berate him teammates cause they haven't passed to him,  I also don't think he is as good as many people think.  Another case of the stupid kiwi commentators talking up a player like he is Iniesta when they are just a solid player 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jovan said:

That's why it was the biggest mistake during the heart era never to have signed smeltz.

Not even close. Ange was desperate for a job, would have even taken an assistant position, yet we paid umpteen times as much for JVS. 7 years later we are just starting to recover from that one.

• Like 2

So if Sorensen does depart who becomes the back up keeper? Is there a spare spot on the list that can be filled by another Australian keeper?

And besides should Bouzanis feel any confidence given what happened to Velaphi? As he kept on improving I suspect he thought that the #1 spot would be his but that did not eventuate.

16 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

So if Sorensen does depart who becomes the back up keeper? Is there a spare spot on the list that can be filled by another Australian keeper?

And besides should Bouzanis feel any confidence given what happened to Velaphi? As he kept on improving I suspect he thought that the #1 spot would be his but that did not eventuate.

Crhis Oldfield

5 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Not even close. Ange was desperate for a job, would have even taken an assistant position, yet we paid umpteen times as much for JVS. 7 years later we are just starting to recover from that one.

Would have been so great to have got Ange instead of him going to the Roar.

Only formation we can have that has our best 11 starting is a 3-1-4-2 so we need another gun CB who has played a lot in a 3

Bouzanis

Franjic  Visa CB  Jackobsen

Killkenny

Kamau         Brattan   Colazo             Brandan

Tuna Timmy

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic