Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Melling would have been behind Brattan, Kilkenny, Brandan, Caceras, Malik, Kamau, Fitzgerald and probably Retre and Arzani in the pecking order this season. Not to mention theres a decent chance our marquee will be a cam.

Was a good player for us in 14/15, had an ordinary year last year, and would have been just clogging up cap space this year. Makes sense to let him go if he wanted out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Why sign players on multi-year contracts if you're just going to release them 8 months later? I do not understand the logic of this at all

Wonder if they've been told they would be getting very limited game time and it has been suggested to them by the club that they might want to find somewhere else. I for one will be keeping a very keen eye on Melling. Thank God we've still got Retre.

• Like 1

I can't see how much cap space it would clear up, hardly think either are earning huge dollars and both are versatile, a valuable commodity in a league with a squad cap.

Another reason we need loans between clubs. Would be more than happy to see Melling loaned to CCM and play 90 minutes every week and then return at the end of the season, then the club could move him on if he hasn't progressed. But right now it seems we're moving on a player who had big potential in the 14/15 season then underperformed last year with injuries and being in and out of the team.

• Like 2

“For me it was time to move to a club that always aspires to be the best,” said Melling.  “Playing against the Wanderers is very intimidating – especially in Western Sydney – and to play in that atmosphere, with that fan group behind me will be an incredible experience.  “I’m going to put my body on the line for the team and I’m going to give my all for this club.”

We only sometimes aspire to be the best

Edited by jeffplz

1 hour ago, jeffplz said:

“For me it was time to move to a club that always aspires to be the best,” said Melling.  “Playing against the Wanderers is very intimidating – especially in Western Sydney – and to play in that atmosphere, with that fan group behind me will be an incredible experience.  “I’m going to put my body on the line for the team and I’m going to give my all for this club.”

Is he a bit sour he's been shunned? 

1 hour ago, jeffplz said:

That's interesting. Very immature on the field and off it seems. 

IMO we're looking at the departure of Didulica and the rise of Petrillo. The only other explanation I can think of is that a few of the young guys at the club may have ruffled a few feathers and have been shown the door as a consequence.
I'm not surprised at the departure of Melling, because we are overloaded with midfielders, but I am surprised by that of Jack Clisby; OK not the greatest player in the world but always gave it 110% and is as tough as nails. I can only think that we have some other signing(s) lined up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mus-28 said:

I can't see how much cap space it would clear up, hardly think either are earning huge dollars and both are versatile, a valuable commodity in a league with a squad cap.

I'd take a rough guess and say either side of 200k for the both of them. I recon well go in 1 player short for the season and possibly add another player come January. 

25 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

I don't see anything wrong with what he said, tbh I think you're all being a little too sensitive

Not sensitive, just curious by this particular line... "For me it was time to move to a club that always aspires to be the best" 

Maybe he just didn't word it how he intended. 

13 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Not sensitive, just curious by this particular line... "For me it was time to move to a club that always aspires to be the best" 

Maybe he just didn't word it how he intended. 

Probably, but we did have the "if we win, we win" mentality for a while. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we're looking at the departure of Didulica and the rise of Petrillo.

Maybe, but Petrillo was in charge of recruitment when they signed new contracts. Petrillo said the following when they re-signed, along with Chapman and Retre:

“We’re pleased to have secured these four young talented players with the Club and believe they are players who have a very promising future in the Australian game.

“Melbourne City have made an ongoing commitment to developing young Australian talent, and these players show how exciting the home-grown talent is in this country.”

Maybe this is an indication of the rumoured change in strategy from head office? I do agree that the type of player we are signing has changed significantly since Petrillo took over from Didulica.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic