Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Don't know what to think. Clisby is under contract until the end of 2015-16. And he'd have to get permission from Perth to go with us.

That's how we signed Jacob Melling and Connor Chapman, by encouraging their A-League clubs to mutually terminate their contracts (and if the players aren't playing regularly, then the clubs are more open to terminating contracts and freeing up salary cap space). So I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Clisby being signed just because he's contracted.

Murf, I'm not. I'm saying because he's contracted to Perth I find it hard to believe that he can be going to the UAE with us.

I wouldnt take what I said too seriously. The dude I am talking about has been wrong and right in the past. But I posted it because he never mentioned Clisby pre season and it was pretty well known we were after him but Perth wouldnt release (but then Perth was rumored to be offering him to brisbane) 

And is this "friend" of yours called Dylan?  :wacko:

"Ryan in the Shop Window Come Asian Cup

"Australia goalkeeper Mat Ryan says he's open to offers..."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/01/05/ryan-shop-window-come-asian-cup

Pity we've got another striker as our Australian marquee.
We could do with a class goal keeper.
Mat Ryan is the sort of player A League clubs should be targeting as an Australian marquee, not players in their 30s winding down their careers.
Throw enough money their way that is competitive with what is offered overseas and then the chance to be much closer to family and friends naturally becomes an additional attraction. 

Edited by Parrot

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/01/05/ryan-shop-window-come-asian-cup

Mat Ryan is the sort of player A League clubs should be targeting as an Australian marquee, not players in their 30s winding down their careers.

Throw enough money their way that is competitive with what is offered overseas and then the chance to be much closer to family and friends naturally becomes an additional attraction.

:droy:

• Like 4

Mat Ryan is the sort of player A League clubs should be targeting as an Australian marquee, not players in their 30s winding down their careers.

Throw enough money their way that is competitive with what is offered overseas and then the chance to be much closer to family and friends naturally becomes an additional attraction. 

EDIT: Beat me to it Malloy  :lol:

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

TBH I'll believe that we're intending to do something in this transfer window when I actually see it. Van 't Schip seems to be the club's spokesman on everything these days (whatever happened to Didulica and Munn?) and I find his comments ambiguous and fluffy to say the least.

EDIT: Beat me to it Malloy  :)

It's very simple.

So I don't see what the laugh is about unless folks like an inferiority complex - and I'll agree, an inferiority complex applies to most A League clubs' recruiting when nearly the entire squad by definition must be bargain basement paid players to be fitted into a small salary cap - which means A League clubs are unable to properly compete in the open market.

But if an A League club has financial backers who are prepared to spend the money, and that of course is the proviso, then with the marquees not included in the salary cap, an A League club should think big and be prepared to compete with European clubs for talent.

That is why the best early 20s overseas Socceroos talent should be prime targets.

A young man would enjoy playing football in Australia, being paid multi millions a year and having the added bonus of being in much closer distance with family and friends than playing in Europe earning those same millions a year while being well removed from family and friends. 

That is why a player like Mat Ryan should be a prime target for any A League club with the appropriate financial backing. :)

Edited by Parrot

It's very simple.

So I don't see what the laugh is about unless folks like an inferiority complex - and I'll agree, an inferiority complex applies to most A League clubs' recruiting when nearly the entire squad by definition must be bargain basement paid players to be fitted into a small salary cap - which means A League clubs are unable to properly compete in the open market.

But if an A League club has financial backers who are prepared to spend the money, and that of course is the proviso, then with the marquees not included in the salary cap, an A League club should think big and be prepared to compete with European clubs for talent.

That is why the best early 20s overseas Socceroos talent should be prime targets.

A young man would enjoy playing football in Australia, being paid multi millions a year and having the added bonus of being in much closer distance with family and friends than playing in Europe earning those same millions a year while being well removed from family and friends. 

That is why a player like Mat Ryan should be a prime target for any A League club with the appropriate financial backing. :)

:hkpalm:

• Like 3

MELBOURNE CITY

2014/15
Damien Duff (V)
Mate Dugandžić
Jonathan Germano (V)
Nick Kalmar

Patrick Kisnorbo
Massimo Murdocca
Iain Ramsay
Pablo Retre

Tando Velaphi
Rob Wielaert (V)

2015/16
James Brown
Connor Chapman
Jason Hoffman

Joshua Kennedy (M)

Robert Koren (V) (M)
Marc Marino*
Stefan Mauk
Jacob Melling*
Aaron Mooy
Andrew Redmayne
David Williams

2016/17
Ben Garuccio

2017/18
Eric Paartalu

I think it's a decent list for next season.  With some GOOD recruitment a very good squad could be assembled.

I would not be renewing the guys in bold.

• Like 1

It's very simple.

Yes but you fail to address an important factor and that is the quality of the league. It's all very well to throw millions at a young aussie to come back to play in Australia but why would they when it would have an hindrance on such things as development, potential future prospects of playing in the best leagues overseas and affect their chances of being involved in the National Team.

It's very simple.

You're surely a troll

MELBOURNE CITY

2014/15

Damien Duff (V)

Mate Dugandžić

Jonathan Germano (V)

Nick Kalmar

Patrick Kisnorbo

Massimo Murdocca

Iain Ramsay

Pablo Retre

Tando Velaphi

Rob Wielaert (V)

2015/16

James Brown

Connor Chapman

Jason Hoffman

Joshua Kennedy (M)

Robert Koren (V) (M)

Marc Marino*

Stefan Mauk

Jacob Melling*

Aaron Mooy

Andrew Redmayne

David Williams

2016/17

Ben Garuccio

2017/18

Eric Paartalu

I think it's a decent list for next season.  With some GOOD recruitment a very good squad could be assembled.

Duff has repeatedly said that he is here for one season only.

If you keep Velaphi it means you are keeping both Velaphi and Redmayne for next season, effectively meaning that we will not have a proper no. 1 GK.

Unless we can unload Redmayne I'm afraid Velaphi has to go.

Niko, while you post that playing in the A League will "affect their chances of being involved in the National Team" it seems that the PERSON WHO COUNTS,

Ange Postecoglou has made it clear that playing in the A League DOES NOT. 

Tesla:  "You're surely a troll          

Name calling someone with a different view is NOT the way to prove your opinion is correct.  Is calling folks who we disagree with names what we want in this Forum?

Just as the folks who thought it was ridiculous for Sydney FC to even think about trying to sign Alessandro del Piero, because European clubs wanted to sign him and there was no way he would stoop so low as to play in our
"pathetic little backwater of an A League" were proven wrong, so I expect to see in the not too distant future some elite young Socceroos with many years of top quality football left being chased and signed by A League clubs.           

Doesn't matter if Ryan is chasing money , wants to play for Melbourne and we want to throw money at him. Jesus Kennedy is our Oz Marquee until end of next season and Koren is our foreign marquee.

The only way we could sign Ryan is under the cap.

Anyway even if we could sign him as Marquee, surely the marquee had to be a goal scorer of some sort.

In regard to Tony's list at present the only ones I would look at re-signing are Velaphi and Mate and I am certainly not committed to even them.

MELBOURNE CITY

2014/15

Damien Duff (V)

Mate Dugandžić

Jonathan Germano (V)

Nick Kalmar

Patrick Kisnorbo

Massimo Murdocca

Iain Ramsay

Pablo Retre

Tando Velaphi

Rob Wielaert (V)

2015/16

James Brown

Connor Chapman

Jason Hoffman

Joshua Kennedy (M)

Robert Koren (V) (M)

Marc Marino*

Stefan Mauk

Jacob Melling*

Aaron Mooy

Andrew Redmayne

David Williams

2016/17

Ben Garuccio

2017/18

Eric Paartalu

I think it's a decent list for next season. With some GOOD recruitment a very good squad could be assembled.

Duff has repeatedly said that he is here for one season only.

If you keep Velaphi it means you are keeping both Velaphi and Redmayne for next season, effectively meaning that we will not have a proper no. 1 GK.

Unless we can unload Redmayne I'm afraid Velaphi has to go.

Yes, I'm aware of Duff and Velaphi. I was just saying that l would not resign the ones in bold. Velaphi isn't that bad. To me he is getting better and he at least has heart and pride.

I know when it comes to injury replacement new players are permitted to be signed but what happens to the salary cap? Looking at Sydney FC's team how did they manage to fit all those players under that cap and especially the fact that they have signed former Senegalese International Mickael Tavares now?

Babalj scored 9 goals over 18 starts in Melbourne Heart's 2nd season, when he was 18/19. 

Would take Babalj in a heartbeat. Melbourne City needs multiple capable goal-scoring forwards. Babalj is a proper striker and would be a good backup for Kennedy.

Then Williams could be played at LW, where I believe he'd do better.

• Like 4

Babalj scored 9 goals over 18 starts in Melbourne Heart's 2nd season, when he was 18/19. 

Would take Babalj in a heartbeat. Melbourne City needs multiple capable goal-scoring forwards. Babalj is a proper striker and would be a good backup for Kennedy.

Then Williams could be played at LW, where I believe he'd do better.

scored 1 goal in 9 last time ,so im sure based on that we can get better surely !!

God I hate Baballj, terrible team man.

This, he never passes the ball yet as mentioned above he would sook if it wasn't given to him on a platter. 

Clinical finisher at A-League level but by the sound of things regarding the AZ situation, he hasn't developed his game a great deal since leaving us and with Kennedy coming I do not want.

Absolutely defenders are a must. But has his game evolved over his time overseas? Do his results overseas prove that he is an improved player that would succeed in our team? If no then do not want. Tired of players being bought because they look good on their highlights reel. Proven recent results or nothing.

Edited by n i k o

• jw1739 pinned this topic