Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Gathering a few thoughts in one thread instead of being spread around...is activity in this transfer window just media speculation or is there any real substance to it? I thought we were close up against the salary gap, which makes signings virtually impossible unless we can find opportunities elsewhere for one or more of our existing players.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

I think JVS pretty much confirmed yesterday that there will be at least two or one change.  Most likely from trading other players from aleague clubs and would probably be defenders.

I would say Germano and Miller would be gone, so thats two Visa spots and we already know Kalmar will probably be traded. We were after Clisby in the preseason  so will probably go after him again and Galloway has apparently been shopped around so thats another option,n ot sure if there are any other decent left backs at other clubs not getting games.

I hope we go after Birighitti.  He issnt getting games at Newcastle and he is a great keeper, one of the best last season. Lucky for us that Redmayne is from around there too ;)

I didn't think you could transfer contracted players between A League clubs?

I thought you could, you just couldn't get a fee?

In regards to Miller he is not a visa player, he is an "injury replacement " so it makes no difference to our cap or visa situation if he stays or goes (though I expect he will go)

I thought you could, you just couldn't get a fee?

In regards to Miller he is not a visa player, he is an "injury replacement " so it makes no difference to our cap or visa situation if he stays or goes (though I expect he will go)

I think clubs get around it by releasing a player to go to another HAL club, if both clubs released players at the same time who decided to sign for the other club, what can FFA do? There was no transfer. Golgol was released and went to WSW, but I'm sure Heart didn't want him and there were talks before it happened.

• Like 1

Yes, you can, provided they agree to the release. For example, Golgol Mebrahtu went from us to WSW, and IIRC it was not during a transfer window because once he was released by us he was a free agent.

Shahanga is correct. There are no transfer fees for transfers between two A-League clubs.

• Like 1

So if we release kalmar and say Newcastle jets sign him, does his salary still count towards our cap or is he officially off the books?

Off the books as soon as his contract with us is terminated. But what we have paid him up to that point would be to our account.

So if we release kalmar and say Newcastle jets sign him, does his salary still count towards our cap or is he officially off the books?

Off the books as soon as his contract with us is terminated. But what we have paid him up to that point would be to our account. so is it only if you release a player and nobody signs him that his salary still counts towards the cap? Or else we could just release kalmar with out finding him a club

Off the books as soon as his contract with us is terminated. But what we have paid him up to that point would be to our account. so is it only if you release a player and nobody signs him that his salary still counts towards the cap? Or else we could just release kalmar with out finding him a club

If you want to release him and he has no club to go to (or no other full-time job to go to) then he is not going to agree to it unless you pay out the contract in full.

If you want to release him and he has no club to go to (or no other full-time job to go to) then he is not going to agree to it unless you pay out the contract in full. oh i get it. And if you pay out the contract it counts towards the cap so there is no point

We have Kennedy, Williams and Marino all contracted for the next year-and-a-half. So do we load up with another striker? Won't that just put pressure on another position somewhere else on the field, just as we do at the moment with so many midfielders?

We have Kennedy, Williams and Marino all contracted for the next year-and-a-half. So do we load up with another striker? Won't that just put pressure on another position somewhere else on the field, just as we do at the moment with so many midfielders?

unfortunately this is the case, which is frustrating when we have numbers but without true depth in a position as we do with our striking position.

Kennedy is still a massive risk given age and recent fitness issues, Williams can't score in a brothel and Marino is very early in development. I know sweet F A about this guy but if anyone has more detail on him i still say he's worth a look.

as much as I think we lack some quality up front, we really need to get our defence right. We've scored in every game so far this season so scoring goals actually doesn't seem to be a problem.

We're probably about 2 quality defenders away from having a good defence, and with Germano coming back from injury it strengthens it even more. If we can get these signings right over January then we will be a huge threat come finals.

I think LB should be the first signing priority. Hopefully we can pick one up in the January transfer window.

However, I do think that it would be ideal if Melbourne City had another out-and-out striker. Not a winger, not an attacker like Brown who can do a job across the front 3 (but isn't a proven source for goals), but a proper striker.

I think Sydney FC has got it right. They have about 4 strikers: Janko, Ibini, Smeltz, Gameiro. So if one or two is injured or out of form, it isn't an issue.

Whereas we only have Williams and Marino. In front of goal Williams is out of form, with him only scoring 1 from open play in 523 minutes this season (and IMO he hasn't looked really close to scoring again, which is probably more concerning). And whilst I'm tipping Marino to do a solid job in the future, the kid's only 18 and in his first season at the club, so IMO we shouldn't throw him in the deep end and lean on him and rely on him for goals too much this season.

Kennedy starting February 1 I believe will largely solve the goal scoring problems. But still I think depth would be valuable. And whilst I believe Kennedy won't become injured, the club shouldn't have a 'messiah'-like approach to positions, and Kennedy shouldn't be totally relied on to be the answer to our no 9 position.

This kid Antelmi reportedly "top[ped] the scoring charts for Leeds United’s U-21’s", and then was " joint top goal scorer" for Wigan's reserves. He could quite conceivably be another Corey Gameiro. And he'd be fairly cheap, a non-Visa, is eager to play in Australia, and the club has a connection with him via Kisnorbo.

IMO the club should seriously look at bringing in Antelmi. I think he'd complete the team when it comes to goal-scoring, and I believe if our front third was a goal-theat every game then the whole team (from the front third to the back third) would be significantly improved.

So sign a LB hopefully this January. But signing Antelmi as well might be a pretty good opportunity, and I think it might be possible and worthwhile for the club to do both.

• Like 2

What are the chances of Newcastle having another dip at Kalmar since Jonny Steele has left them?

Could be an interesting development; we piss off a no longer used player from our over supplied midfield, Newcastle get a replacement with decent A League experience.

If they wanna take Redmayne in exchange for Birighetti that'd be pretty sweet too

Big test for van 't Schip, Didulica (and the CFG scouting network if we're looking at another visa player). We've cleared some room with the release of Kalmar so we ought to be able to sign at least one new player.

IMO this window will be an indicator of whether we can expect better recruitment into the future.

Big test for van 't Schip, Didulica (and the CFG scouting network if we're looking at another visa player). We've cleared some room with the release of Kalmar so we ought to be able to sign at least one new player.

IMO this window will be an indicator of whether we can expect better recruitment into the future.

I think the talk is they will sign some players. They want to make a splash in January.

I the Heart days we would have heard about names we were into. Not heard a peep now.

Also the location of the facility. Amazing to keep it under wraps.

I the Heart days we would have heard about names we were into. Not heard a peep now.

I'm still waiting for Beckham, Ronaldinho, Karagounis and Holt

Don't forget Ronaldo (the Brazilian one). If I recall correctly Scott Munn told the media that negotiations are 'in the embryonic stages at the moment'. 

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for Beckham, Ronaldinho, Karagounis and Holt

Don't forget Ronaldo (the Brazilian one). If I recall correctly Scott Munn told the media that negotiations are 'in the embryonic stages at the moment'.

That's the other thing. No hearing from Scott Munn. They have him on a short leash.

• Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic