Melbourne Football

Hostage situation in Sydney

Nate

Na deadset, I copped inbox abuse and a ban within 2 minutes for saying abbott had no reason to apologize to Putin over mh17. They accused abbott of wanting to start a war with Russia. Good value.

Well I don't think the shirt front thing was helpful, but arming aiding and abetting the rebels who shot down a civilian airliner, without remorse, that's criminal. Putin's got Aussie blood on his hands and we need our PM to say "it's not ok to murder our citizens"
  • Like 1

Is this really the best thread for this?

Although there isn't a conclusive answer it appears on the surface (I base this purely on the fact that the gunman wanted to speak to the PM) to be politically motivated violence. Where else would you suggest?

Didn't know that had happened TBH. Haven't really followed the story much, been a busy day.

Is this really the best thread for this?

Although there isn't a conclusive answer it appears on the surface (I base this purely on the fact that the gunman wanted to speak to the PM) to be politically motivated violence. Where else would you suggest?

Didn't know that had happened TBH. Haven't really followed the story much, been a busy day.

Someone got a frothy latte with full cream instead of soy. 

How common are hostage situations in Australia? I would have thought it would be rare since I'm sure we'd hear about most of them on the news given the relatively low crime rate in this country, but there sure seem to be a lot of people whose job is specifically as a negotiator.

How common are hostage situations in Australia? I would have thought it would be rare since I'm sure we'd hear about most of them on the news given the relatively low crime rate in this country, but there sure seem to be a lot of people whose job is specifically as a negotiator.

I think you would find their would be a fair few domestic situations and def a lot of situations of acute mental illness that would require these services....

That the media pass up on reporting out of respect of those involved.

Edited by cadete

This is what happens when you have a system where criminals and terrorists have no trouble acquiring guns, but the average law abiding citizen can't acquire, carry, and utilise a gun to defend themselves and their fellow Australians. This whole thing would be over if one of the hostages was carrying a gun. Instead the nation is at the mercy of radicals.

stay woke.

This is what happens when you have a system where criminals and terrorists have no trouble acquiring guns, but the average law abiding citizen can't acquire, carry, and utilise a gun to defend themselves and their fellow Australians. This whole thing would be over if one of the hostages was carrying a gun. Instead the nation is at the mercy of radicals.

stay woke.

k15mw6.jpg

• Like 3

stay woke.

IMO giving these law abiding citizens more access to guns wouldn't solve this problem.

Instead, we need to give the general public more access to heavy artillery like tanks and rocket launchers in order to ensure a safe society.

• Like 1

stay woke.

What use is a gun if there's bombs present?

Claims to be an Ayatollah. Wants an ISIS flag. Seems legit.

Stay woke.

FWIW, police surely have been or should have been watching this guy at least since 2008. The Shia community were spot on to question what this guy is up to. Obviously not a Shia, let alone an Ayatollah, if he is committing a terrorist attack in the name of ISIS.

FEDERAL agents have been urged by the nation's senior Shia leader, Kamal Mousselmani, to investigate an Iranian man purporting to be a prominent Islamic cleric.

Sheik Mousselmani told The Australian yesterday the mystery cleric - who has been identified as Ayatollah Manteghi Boroujerdi on his website after appearing under the name Sheik Haron - was not a genuine Shia spiritual leader.

He said there were no ayatollahs - supreme Shia scholars - in Australia and none of his fellow spiritual leaders knew who Ayatollah Boroujerdi or Sheik Haron was.

"We don't know him and we have got nothing to do with him," Sheik Mousselmani said. "The federal police should investigate who he is. It should be their responsibility."

Sheik Haron, who insulted the family of an Australian soldier killed in Afghanistan in November, was accused by Muslim leaders of being a fake cleric deliberately stirring anti-Islamic sentiment.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/call-to-probe-mystery-shia-cleric/story-e6frg8yx-1111115413357

Edited by Tesla