Melbourne Football

Top places to eat in Melbourne.

stephaniexo

Chinatown: Meiji Japanese Cafe (Affordable Japanese)

Richmond: Happy Kappa (Japanese & Heart supporters)

Camberwell: Suzuran (Japanese grocer with the best take away sushi/sashimi outside of Ginza), Daruma Japanese Kitchen (Japanese), Curry Curry (Indian),

Box Hill: Hong Kong Best Food (Chinese/Cantonese), Teru Teru (Japanese Cafe)

Prahran: Misty's Diner (50's American)

For fuck sake: Misty's Diner is a further, overpriced and low quality version of Soda Rock, 2km's down the road.

I know the lass whose parents own it. Greek Jews...whilst I don't mind either of them, as a mix they are shocking human beings and shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

Gattaca in Balaclava is my local of choice to treat myself to some underage drinking and tapas.

For fuck sake: Misty's Diner is a further, overpriced and low quality version of Soda Rock, 2km's down the road.

I know the lass whose parents own it. Greek Jews...whilst I don't mind either of them, as a mix they are shocking human beings and shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

Gattaca in Balaclava is my local of choice to treat myself to some underage drinking and tapas.

Leave these Racially Insensitive/Procreation kind of posts to Micha...

In agreement with what this marteaux chap is muttering about. It's not insensitive, it's a factual statistic.

@ticker - that assortment of rubbish ain't japanese cuisine.

ROFF

Korean Food > Japanese Food.

Korean Emperor > Japanese Emperor = Hence is The Japanese Emperor! :D

But when they get together - the offspring they produce - they are just...horrible.

I dont mean to throw fuel on the fire but just a possible point of clarity.

I dont know the couple in question but would hazard a guess that they did not 'get together' as a couple but are probably Greek Jews. Just as their are Greek Christians etc there are Greeks who practice Judaism. Greece has/had a sizeable population of European Jews and was terribly effected by the holocaust etc. The city of Thessaloniki also dubbed the 'mother of Israel', has been a spiritual and cultural hub for Greek Jews for millennia.

Educate thyself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Greece

Ahh - thanks for that clarifying that bravepenis, and that's pretty interesting in its self as my small minded self thought there was only Orthodox, Catholic and non-religious Greeks. But her mother is Greek, and her dad is an American Jew, hence the American diner.

Her parents are probably okay - but she has definitely ended up with the less desireable characteristics of a Jewish manand a Greek female..

Although I do like the sound of a Angelos Goldstein and a Larry Dimopolous.

Anyway, back on topic - had lunch at Rolls today, if you love a little bit of Sushi, this place is a must!

Edited by marteaux

Club Room Tsar

DEATH TO THE TSAR!

DOWN WITH TYRANNY!

ALL POWER TO THE SOVIETS!

PEACE, BREAD AND LAND!!

back on topic

Any Authentic looking Phở (pronounced 'fuer') shop in Footscray/Box Hill/Sunshine/Richmond etc- Traditional Vietnamese Rice noodle soup. No secret to most Melburnians but when done properly it is unbeatable. Chicken, beef, special, combination, Bun Bo Hue(spicy beef soup from Hue city) and you can also usually any extras you like at will as well. Filling, tasty and very cheap. If you are paying more than $9 a bowl for a large, then you sir are getting ripped off!

Personal favourite is Saigon Diep Pho. Across the road from Little Saigon market in Nicholson st, Footscrazy. Tastiest broth in town!

The city of Thessaloniki also dubbed the 'mother of Israel', has been a spiritual and cultural hub for Greek Jews for millennia.

Educate thyself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Greece

Sorry? How is it a cultural hub for Greek Jews for millenia when it hasnt been a Greek city for that long.

Maybe you should take your own advice and educate thyself.

Founded in 315BC by Cassander of Macedon. If this is another Greek vs Macedonian thing, I cbf bothering with it.

An independent state under the Roman Republic and a large city-piece of Byzantium civilization. Granted it was conquered by the ottomans and held for centuries, the Grecian culture still survived rather intact until the fall of the Ottoman Empire in 1917. Jews a constant throughout.

Founded in 315BC by Cassander of Macedon. If this is another Greek vs Macedonian thing, I cbf bothering with it.

An independent state under the Roman Republic and a large city-piece of Byzantium civilization. Granted it was conquered by the ottomans and held for centuries, the Grecian culture still survived rather intact until the fall of the Ottoman Empire in 1917. Jews a constant throughout.

Apparently Preston is really a part of Greece as well...

And the Greeks invented Nuts...

Which brings us full circle back to good places to eat in Melbourne, as Nuts at any VPL game are good eating.

Edited by cadete

Serious question BH - Does anywhere in Melbourne serve Russian Food and is it good eating?

All I know about Russian food is caviar and that some people (I am guessing a very select few) eat bear, all I of this I saw late at night on an outdated documentary on Foxtel.

Oh no! - I smell a lot of ColourInAWorldMap.jpeg's coming our way...

Like this?

map1.gif

Adding to the list:

Turkey in NATO

Pullups/chinups

Thessaloniki

When will it be your turn to be right?

Like this?

map1.gif

Adding to the list:

Turkey in NATO

Pullups/chinups

Thessaloniki

Solid Map.

And good to see at least no challenge on Preston being part of Greece and the Greeks inventing Nuts.

Edited by cadete

Adding to the list:

Turkey in NATO

Pullups/chinups

Will give you those two indeed but get fucked on the other count ;)

GET BACK ON TOPIC!

Mate tbh I ever only been to one Russian restaurant in Melbourne all the others have been in Russia itself.

Most of the ones i know of are all on the side for me. Around the russian community ie Carnegie, Elsternwick, Balaclava, StKilda, Caulfield So i havent got over to them.

I usually just eat at friends houses.

Soups, Stews, Shellfish, Ground meat, stuffed vegetables, dips, pickled fish/meat/vegies, dumplings, salads etc is what you can expect at most Russian places.

Edited by Braveheart

Mate tbh I ever only been to one Russian restaurant in Melbourne all the others have been in Russia itself.

Most of the ones i know of are all on the side for me. Around the russian community ie Carnegie, Elsternwick, Balaclava, StKilda, Caulfield So i havent got over to them.

I usually just eat at friends houses.

Soups, Stews, Shellfish, Ground meat, stuffed vegetables, dips, pickled fish/meat/vegies, dumplings, salads etc is what you can expect at most Russian places.

Interesting - I think I have had similar stuff a few times (Maybe it as Polish sometimes) as a kid, however it would was labelled as "Jewish" food in my head as I went to such places with Jewish family friends.

Interesting - I think I have had similar stuff a few times (Maybe it as Polish sometimes) as a kid, however it would was labelled as "Jewish" food in my head as I went to such places with Jewish family friends.

Yep. very similar to Polish food and 'Jewish' in Aus would also be very similar due to a lot of our Jewish population being from Eastern Europe.

Most probably know but Borsh, Vodka and Tears in South Yarra is quality Polish food and their drink selection is great.

Fwiw Hammer, Misty is either Canadian or American and her Husband is Greek.

Met them both numerous times due to them being strong family friends of a good friend.

You are right though - They are both idiots.

Edited by Woody

After 3 1/2 years in Melbourne, I'm still struggling to find a REALLY good Indian curry.

I spent 8 years in London and was spoilt with delicious curries. There's an Indian curryhouse on (nearly) every corner and the competition and standard is high.

The best ones I've found are Little India in South Yarra and Indian Tukka in Collingwood. They're pretty close to the UK standard.

The two worst ones I've tried must be from Milan at Kew and Tara's (Kew East). Tasted like tomato soup with added chilli. Foul!

Yep. very similar to Polish food and 'Jewish' in Aus would also be very similar due to a lot of our Jewish population being from Eastern Europe.

Most probably know but Borsh, Vodka and Tears in South Yarra is quality Polish food and their drink selection is great.

Borscht is by far the rankest shit I have ever eaten. Shoulder ham, cabbage and beetroot.

Whoever invented that must have been more desperate than the day I microwaved rolled oats and water for a feed.

Little India is a franchise. Also in Chadstone and Doncaster. I however, love their version of butter chicken!!

Are you sure it's the same guys?

They haven't mentioned Chadstone or Doncaster on their website.

http://www.littleindia.com.au/locations.asp

The logo also looks different (Chadstone/Doncaster) + it's a different web address

http://www.littleindia.net.au

Will check their butter chicken out though.