Melbourne Football

Top places to eat in Melbourne.

stephaniexo

Alrighty.... so they say that food is the way to a man's heart and this applies for chick's just as well. Any have any recommendations for places to eat around Melbourne? Dine in or take away? I seem to go to the same places all the time so more variety would be excellent!

Here I'll start:

Bala's - St Kilda (Thai/Indian)

Tomodachi - Melbourne Central (Jap)

Remvi by the Bay - Williamstown (Greek)

Naked For Satan - Brunswick (Spanish)

Vegie Bar - Brunswick (Gluten Free/Vego/Vegan)

Cookie - CBD (Thai)

Maha Bar & Grill - CBD (Mediterranean) *top idea for anyone considering something for valentines day!

Marigold – Clifton Hill (Indian)

Yarrasider's know I am big fan of this as I go on about it fair bit, I recommend the whole Tandorri Chicken to share.

Also I go to Veggie Bar a bit as my GF is limited in what meat she eats but the place can be really annoying at times.

I only ever go at a time between the Lunch and Dinner rush as its get far too busy and service get understandably slow.

Also if you don't like Hipsters speaking loud about Falls near you then I would give it a miss.

And inb4 Micha talks about Lentils – Fucken Hippy.

Edited by cadete

I've heard soo many good things about Red/Green Pepper. Any dish in particular you fancy?

Another I forgot is Lemongrass on Lygon Street <3

& I understand what you mean about the limited eating options cadete. I'm in the same boat and it makes dinning out freakin' difficult.

Edited by stephaniexo

My reccomendations.

Misuzu's (Japanese, Albert Park)

Moderately priced Japanese tepanyaki. Good vibe and service, and incredible food.

Rolls Sushi (Japanese, Balaclava)

I consider myself quite the Sushi roll coniesseur, and this place is absolutely the best sushi rolls one can get their hands on in Melbourne. Cooked to order and $2 each, brilliant.

Soda Rock (60's American, Toorak)

Your typical 60's American "diner" but the chilli fries, milkshakes and tater tots are awesome. Wouldn't go there if you're skint, however.

Main Street (Bar/Cafe, Mordailloc)

Trendy cafe in the morning, and by all accounts a good wateringhole by night. The Hungry Hippo breakfast is a fry up lovers wet dream.

Danny's Diner (Burgers, St Kilda)

Fuck off that Fitzroy nonsense, Danny's in St Kilda is the original and far superior franchise. Had about 4 mates working here at one point, and was literally drowning in free burgers.

Lol – My gf refuses to let me get Soda Rock even though I am paying, so I am always wanting to go there.

Place used to be called Johnny Rockets, and you used to go there after driving on world’s smallest Dodgem Car rink at the Fun factory.

If your even done in Sorrento, Baha (Mexican) is worth stepping out the car in Rye.

God Pub Food: You cannot go past The Retreat on Sydney Road.

Value for Money: Alaysa on Sydney Road will always has its understandable knockers but I will keep going back – love that place.

Edited by cadete

Hot Chilli (thai) mt alexander rd, ascot vale

Sunrise (indian) accross the rd from above, best tandoori mushrooms ever!

Izakaya Chuji ( japanese) this place smells like so many little izakaya joints in japan. Lonsdale st, right near russel st cnr. Plus the sake bar next door has the biggest range in Aus (according to them). Steer clear of the tsunami's, the are creepers.

Moroccan soup bar(vege morocan tagines) st georges rd, fitzroy. No menu just pay per head for an amazing feast!!

Best take away/fast food Curry in town is Funky Curry, by a long way. They have a couple of joints around the place- they look kinda sus but they are the most authentic tasting curry i've found in Australia. On par with the stuff i've eaten in Nepal.

Other than that, Gingerboy is pretty sweet, but expensive.

Easy Tiger in Smith Street is really awesome too.

Edited by Che

Pelligrini's Pasta bar- Italian. Very reminiscent of many eateries in Northern Italy ive been to. Small, limited/seasonal menu and all made to order. Last time I had a Fettuncini Matriciana, bread and two freshly made Granitas for $17. I also here their coffee and deserts are amazing but I don't partake so cant comment there.(Bourke st, CBD)

Tiba's - Lebanese. Great family run restaurant. Great Kebab, chops, dips and tabbouleh. They have curtained booths so you can eat your meal without your Hijab etc. Can get your Shisha on out the front and they have really big range ofMu'assel. Always busy. The owners daughter is also fucken BANGIN! :D

Danny's Diner (Burgers, St Kilda)

Fuck off that Fitzroy nonsense, Danny's in St Kilda is the original and far superior franchise.

Danny's Fitzy- 1945

Danny's StKilda - 2006

Well done. Jog on. ;)

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 3

Fantastic thread - some brilliant choices so far, a few of mine:

Spice Temple, Crown - Expensive, but Insane!

D.O.C. (just of Lygon) - Bit pricey, decent Pizza, fantastic cheeses, you must try the smoked buffalo mozzarella

Carino Tapas Bar, Mt Alexander Rd - If you love Paella, you must try theirs, the stuff is amazing and well priced

Middle Eastern Restaurant, Sydney Rd - BH mentioned Tiba's, which I love, this place is just as good.

Melbourne Kebab Station, (Coburg one only) - Best kebabs you will find in Melbourne, little pricier, but the use the proper steak kebab meat (not mince)

Yoyogi, Various - Best sushi in the land, good value for money.

New place:

N's Satay Bar, top of Russell St - Opened recently, amazingly low prices, Thai/Malaysian/Indonesian fusion, very cheap, so is the piss.

A few places you should stay away from:

- Grossi Florentino

- Sho noddle bar, Crown

- Cafe Tono, Bourke

- Alasya, Sydney Rd

- Kobe Jones Melbourne‎

- Haci's Kebabs

- That Pub in Nhill that we stopped at on the way to Adelaide.

Nothing beats Orexi in Oakleig for a souvlaki. Only problem is they don't open Sundays and close at 4pm yet they still kill it!

DOC is a ripper pizza but a bit expensive.

The Press Club is ridiculously expensive, but let me tell you that you walk out wanting more and more.

Saigon Inn off Bourke St, in Liverpool St about 50 paces from the Impy is a great cheap feed as well

Carino Tapas Bar, Mt Alexander Rd - If you love Paella, you must try theirs, the stuff is amazing and well priced

Hahah It's funny to think people know about this place. Not that they shouldn't, just that the owners are my neighbours and me and the old man did all the cabling for the place when it was being built. Am there quite often.

Great food, great service and awesome variety of Spanish beer/wine.

Great thread! I will only mention places that haven't been mentioned on here. Melbourne is the best for food.

Red Spice Road - McKillop Street in the CBD between Little Collins and Bourke Street. Asian food, a little pricey but food is amazing.

Butchers Grill - Bourke Street. If you love your meat you will love this place.

Thaila Thai - Lygon Street. Awesome Thai food, always busy so make sure you book first. Great food and cheap.

They are the places I have been in Melbourne that were awesome.

If you come to Hobart you have to try the Ball and Chain. Best meat and seafood. So fresh. Make sure you book though as there is always a wait of 45 minutes plus if you don't, and you need more than two people to be able to reserve your seat. Hard with me and the missus when we go there and have to wait. They have a great bar area though so its not all bad.

Fantastic thread - some brilliant choices so far, a few of mine:

Spice Temple, Crown - Expensive, but Insane!

D.O.C. (just of Lygon) - Bit pricey, decent Pizza, fantastic cheeses, you must try the smoked buffalo mozzarella

Middle Eastern Restaurant, Sydney Rd - BH mentioned Tiba's, which I love, this place is just as good.

Melbourne Kebab Station, (Coburg one only) - Best kebabs you will find in Melbourne, little pricier, but the use the proper steak kebab meat (not mince)

Yoyogi, Various - Best sushi in the land, good value for money.

New place:

N's Satay Bar, top of Russell St - Opened recently, amazingly low prices, Thai/Malaysian/Indonesian fusion, very cheap, so is the piss.

A few places you should stay away from:

- Grossi Florentino

- Sho noddle bar, Crown

- Cafe Tono, Bourke

- Alasya, Sydney Rd

- Kobe Jones Melbourne‎

- Haci's Kebabs

- That Pub in Nhill that we stopped at on the way to Adelaide.

Haci's kebabs are a very dangerous dinner, i live just down the road and know many people who've had food poisoning after eating there. Although nearly everyone in the northern suburbs seems to know about Haci's so i guess some people must like them :huh:

Lentils as Anything, Abbotsford.

Free vegetarian gourmet food, byo etc...

Unlimited free coffees.

Looked after me well that place, mny great memories but it is a bit gay and vegetarian so I refuse to pay.

Used to lurk there with the byron lasses a fair bit last year, I'd only go there with females, like I said if's a bit gay and packed with flogs.

soul mama in St Kilda for vegetarians ( my parents are borderline vegans, they know all the places where the anti omnivorous hang)

Have only had one Italian meal in Melbourne since moving here never had Greek either, not keen on the flavours.

Laksa King is the shit!!! Pretty sure there is one in Kensington, Highpoint and somewhere else.

Hong Kong Seafood Hut in Hawthorn is good, ate some ducks tongues, sea cucumber and yummy chicken feet there.

Shark Fin in little Bourke street for yum cha, fuck yes!!!