Melbourne Football

Round 11: Melbourne Derby, Sat 20th Dec 7:30pm

Murfy1

Melbourne City looking forward to mid-season break and then switching focus to derby

Matt Windley

December 08, 2014

MIDFIELDER Erik Paartalu says Melbourne City’s weekend off has come at the right time after one of the most arduous seven days of the team’s season.

But despite having to sit on their heels for another 11 days before a Christmas Derby showdown with Melbourne Victory, Paartalu said City players are already desperate to make amends against their cross-town rivals.

City secured their second win for the season on Sunday with a hard-fought 1-0 triumph over Brisbane Roar at AAMI Park.

The win was a massive confidence boost according to Paartalu, who also denied that the postponement of this weekend’s game against Western Sydney because of the Wanderers FIFA Club World Cup commitments would stymie any momentum gained against Roar.

“I think it’s a good time for us to have a break,” Paartalu said.

“We’ll have a day off at the start of the week and maybe next weekend. Training has been pretty intense, last week was our hardest week of the year.

“So I presume that it’s going to be an even harder week of training this week before a more normal week going in to the derby game.”

City suffered a 5-2 derby loss to Victory at Etihad Stadium in round three.

Paartalu said that result had not been forgotten and said City players were keen to atone, especially in what is the club’s only home derby at AAMI Park for the season.

“After the performance (against Brisbane) it gives you confidence,” he said.

“You don’t want to go in to the derby off the back of a bad loss or a poor performance.

“Again, we’re not getting carried away, we just want to build on this now, but we have to make up for the last derby game.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-looking-forward-to-mid-season-break-and-then-switching-focus-to-derby/story-e6frf4gl-1227148948735?from=public_rss&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

Didn't see anything yesterday that would suggest city will come even close to beating Victory I'm afraid

Totally agree

The top four are a class above us, and yes that includes Victory

League is clearly split in half now. Top five will be more or less as they are now. Pretty much fighting it out with the rest of the league for the last finals spot. Any points we take from the top five from here out is a bonus. First season I've seen in the a-league where there is such an obvious gap in standard between the top and bottom teams. Is usually one or two streaks ahead then the rest all relatively even.

• Like 1

Didn't see anything yesterday that would suggest city will come even close to beating Victory I'm afraid

Totally agree

The top four are a class above us, and yes that includes Victory Pains me to say it but the tards are playing well and look a classy side.

Having said that you've always got a chance in a match, we are underdogs but can still win. I'm more confident than I was last year under Aloisi.

Totally agree

The top four are a class above us, and yes that includes Victory Pains me to say it but the tards are playing well and look a classy side.

Having said that you've always got a chance in a match, we are underdogs but can still win. I'm more confident than I was last year under Aloisi.

Classy?

Totally agree

Classy?

in the scheme of the A League

we are not talking European Champions league

• Like 1

Can win, The 4-0 derby last season show's what we can do. We are also long overdue for a Berisha brainfade that see's him get a straight red.

I honestly thought the muscat/bersisha combo would be alot more violent and stupid

Still a long way too go. Either this week or against us he is well over due to want to belt someone in the tunnel.