Melbourne Football

Connoisseurs, Beer

Hendo

Real men drink beer, any talk of other alcoholic beverages here, you'll be thrown to the pigs.

Following in the footsteps of my old boy, I'm a big fan my pilseners, love the flower power. Just recently tried my hand at some of the local pilseners and fuck, the Hawthorn Pilsener is easily the beer of choice at the moment.

Personal preferences when it comes to tap:

- Yebisu

- Guinness

- Stock CD

- Asahi

Concerns, thoughts.

Off tap.

- Anything Pale

- Carlton

- Anything James Squires

Bottled.

- Monteiths (Only just realised they serve at the imp)

- Sheep Shagger

- London Pride

- Old Fart

- Tui

- Speights

- Samuel Adam's

- Coopers Pale

- Fat Yak

Tins

- VB

- Melbourne

Open to anything so long as it isn't stout, Budweiser or Tennent's super aka Bum juice.

3407182674_525a1f5eda.jpg

Drunken Poet in West Melbourne.

Tap beer - anything.

Cans - Melbourne

Bottled - anything.

Based on the above, I might appear to be a bit of a heathen, but I can't pin down what I like. I like to sample everything to be honest. Big fan of Kilkenny at the moment.

Probably poured Guinness is an art that is seldom replicated well outside the Emerald isle. That said, the Dan O'connell in Carlton pours a great pint as does the Quiet Man in Flem.

Fucken Dan O'Connell - litterally wasted the whole of 2006 in that dive drinking Guinness.

I still live around the corner and I refused to go back there.

Drunken Poet in West Melbourne.

Tap beer - anything.

Cans - Melbourne

Bottled - anything.

Based on the above, I might appear to be a bit of a heathen, but I can't pin down what I like. I like to sample everything to be honest. Big fan of Kilkenny at the moment.

He should have stayed at Leeds.

Oh shit, where do i start. Any James Squires, Hawthorn Pilsener is amazing and brewed on the same street I live on, James Boags Premium, Asahi.

Bought a slab of Boddingtons the other week, it is a bloody non fizz beer! Took me a while to get used to that but for a light beer it is actually a nice drop! Anyone else had it?

Kilkenny takes it for me sometimes guinness but as said is usually poured shit always enjoy a carlton, at clubs smash the cornoas other than those stand outs ill pretty much drink anything cept cider

Try any of Kopperberg's or Rekordeligs range and you'll think twice, although they do sting ya $6.50 for a 500m llong neck :angry:

Rekordeligs is the best cider. Bar none.

As for Beer;

Kirin - My basic beer that I get all the time and have stocked up in the fridge.

Kosciuszko pale ale - Tasted it at Red Spice Road in Melbourne on tap and fell in love.

Westvleteren 12 - Belgium beer, simply amazing, order from ebay as I do not think you can get in Australia otherwise. You will not be disappointed.

Rekorderlig is barely cider. The flavouring is just a sugar syrup in cheap apple cider.

Real men drink scrumpy cider. Old Rosie, Somerset Gold, Glastonbury.

Best fizzy cider by far is:Thatchers Gold followed closely by anything else by Thatchers and then Stowford Press.

If you want flavoured stuff check out Brother's cider.

For beers:

Knappstein Reserve Lager

Guinness

Mac's Hop Rocker Pilsener

Badger Fursty Ferret Amber Ale

Badger Poachers Select Ruby Ale

Chimnay Red

Hoegaarden

La Fin Du Monde (think they stopped producing though :( )

Sierra Nevada Pale / IPA

and of course Australia's finest. Little Creatures Pale Ale.

Shame on everyone for not having mentioned Creatures yet.

Now to get my bar nerd on:

As for all the "properly poured Guinness" advocates. You mostly won't find it here in Australia due to the fact we all have our taps set at too higher speed for Guinness and the fact that most Aussie bars will just use standard 65/35 % mix of C02 to Nitrogen across all taps where as ales and stouts need higher levels of nitrogen usually 75%.

Then their is the issue with the pouring, to get the head to have no bubbles in it you have to use the first stream from the tap which gives it the silky smoothness. However, if the gas is turned up too much the first stream splutters out and oxygenates that first pour leaving the bubbles. So quite often the bartender has no chance of getting a proper tasting guinness regardless of how they pour it. The nitrogen used to pour the Guinness is a major component of how a draught Guinness should taste.

The proper way to pour a is to Guinness make the first pour just over 3 quarters to the top and pour it at an angle with the nozzle resting just above the inside of the glass and then left to sit until the head is fully formed usually just over 1.5 minutes but again depends on the speed of the taps and so on. The second pour is just straight in the top.

I made a point of learning it when I was in Ireland because I was sick of every wanker and his dog telling you how you should properly pour a Guinness and usually they were about 1 miles off the correct answer.

• Like 2

Rekorderlig is barely cider. The flavouring is just a sugar syrup in cheap apple cider.

Best fizzy cider by far is:Thatchers Gold followed closely by anything else by Thatchers and then Stowford Press.

For beers:

Knappstein Reserve Lager

Guinness

Chimnay Red

Hoegaarden

Sierra Nevada Pale / IPA

As for all the "properly poured Guinness" advocates. You mostly won't find it here in Australia due to the fact we all have our taps set at too higher speed for Guinness and the fact that most Aussie bars will just use standard 65/35 % mix of C02 to Nitrogen across all taps where as ales and stouts need higher levels of nitrogen usually 75%.

Then their is the issue with the pouring, to get the head to have no bubbles in it you have to use the first stream from the tap which gives it the silky smoothness. However, if the gas is turned up too much the first stream splutters out and oxygenates that first pour leaving the bubbles. So quite often the bartender has no chance of getting a proper tasting guinness regardless of how they pour it. The nitrogen used to pour the Guinness is a major component of how a draught Guinness should taste.

The proper way to pour a is to Guinness make the first pour just over 3 quarters to the top and pour it at an angle with the nozzle resting just above the inside of the glass and then left to sit until the head is fully formed usually just over 1.5 minutes but again depends on the speed of the taps and so on. The second pour is just straight in the top.

I made a point of learning it when I was in Ireland because I was sick of every wanker and his dog telling you how you should properly pour a Guinness and usually they were about 1 miles off the correct answer.

little creature are ok, probably not as good as they used to be

everybody should get down to the local taphouse in st kilda (http://www.thelocal.com.au/MEL/) to try some decent beers on tap

Every Little Creatures batch of pale will be slightly different they change up the amounts of the different hops each season to lean the beer towards that season. Also depends if you are drinking from tap or bottle. I do live in the Creatures heartlands though so possibly slightly bias. My uni is a 2 minute walk from the Little Creatures brewery and bar. I directly blame the bar for my low academic grades over the past 3 years.

For beers:

Knappstein Reserve Lager

Guinness

Chimnay Red

Hoegaarden

Sierra Nevada Pale / IPA

I applaud your post, applaud old chap.

Old Rosie is one of my personal favourites, only 20 clams on average from what I've seen for the 2 litre brick. On to my personal thoughts on rekordergays, the perth lad has hit the nail on the head. If you drink rekorderligs, you also probably drink strongbows and probably 5seeds, disgusting. I know a place in Melbourne that pours that Guinness relatively well, apart from the nitrogen.

Recommended strayan pilsensers hearts of perth?

You also seem like a well versed chap, what's your knowledge on Japanese beers/microbrewries? I'm also guessing you're a fellow bartend.

I applaud your post, applaud old chap.

Old Rosie is one of my personal favourites, only 20 clams on average from what I've seen for the 2 litre brick. On to my personal thoughts on rekordergays, the perth lad has hit the nail on the head. If you drink rekorderligs, you also probably drink strongbows and probably 5seeds, disgusting. I know a place in Melbourne that pours that Guinness relatively well, apart from the nitrogen.

Recommended strayan pilsensers hearts of perth?

You also seem like a well versed chap, what's your knowledge on Japanese beers/microbrewries? I'm also guessing you're a fellow bartend.

Been behind a bar ever since I turned 18. First through the West country of Somerset and Dorset as a naive 18year old who had to learn the hard way that Scrumpy is the nectar of the gods. I defy anyone to spend any time in the West Country and tell the massive farmers there that cider is for girls.

Japanese Beers aren't something i've had a lot of but they are starting to find more of a market so more brews are becoming available which can only be a good thing. I remember reading somewhere that the laws were only changed to allow small breweries in the late 80's or early 90's. The best brewery's from Japan that I have tasted different styles from are definitely Baird's Beers and Kiuchi Brewery's brand Hitachino's Nest.

Baird's Beers are usually more american in style. Based on the fact they are run by an American where as though Kiuchi are a really interesting brewery who do really innovative beers and also do great sake, shochu and umeshu under a different name can't remember it's name Kikasakiru or something like that. The Hitachino's Nest group of beers are by far the stand out japanese beers i've ever tasted. For starters I reccommend there Espresso Stout, Nipponnia Ancient Ale and there Red Rice Ale.

I've tried other one offs from Japan that I can't really remember names for though if they come to me i'll let you know. Best alcohol to come from Japan though is Shochu, Umeshu and Yamazaki Whiskey.

Australia seems to struggle with Pilsners for some reason. I always go for the Mac's Hop Rocker which is a kiwi brew. Little Creatures has a tasty pilsner but I always end up resorting to the pale. Bootleg in WA do a decent effort and I tried one from a vic brewery called Holgate a few weeks ago that was worth a tipple. Pilsner seems to be a non-starter on the aussie market. You will rarely see any of the original pils by toohey's or coopers in stock at your local bottle-o these days. I guess there hoppy character can be a bit over bearing in the aussie heat. Never understood this as IPA's seem to be the big selling ale's atm and there IBU ratings are usually pretty high.

Been behind a bar ever since I turned 18. First through the West country of Somerset and Dorset as a naive 18year old who had to learn the hard way that Scrumpy is the nectar of the gods. I defy anyone to spend any time in the West Country and tell the massive farmers there that cider is for girls.

Japanese Beers aren't something i've had a lot of but they are starting to find more of a market so more brews are becoming available which can only be a good thing. I remember reading somewhere that the laws were only changed to allow small breweries in the late 80's or early 90's. The best brewery's from Japan that I have tasted different styles from are definitely Baird's Beers and Kiuchi Brewery's brand Hitachino's Nest.

Baird's Beers are usually more american in style. Based on the fact they are run by an American where as though Kiuchi are a really interesting brewery who do really innovative beers and also do great sake, shochu and umeshu under a different name can't remember it's name Kikasakiru or something like that. The Hitachino's Nest group of beers are by far the stand out japanese beers i've ever tasted. For starters I reccommend there Espresso Stout, Nipponnia Ancient Ale and there Red Rice Ale.

I've tried other one offs from Japan that I can't really remember names for though if they come to me i'll let you know. Best alcohol to come from Japan though is Shochu, Umeshu and Yamazaki Whiskey.

Australia seems to struggle with Pilsners for some reason. I always go for the Mac's Hop Rocker which is a kiwi brew. Little Creatures has a tasty pilsner but I always end up resorting to the pale. Bootleg in WA do a decent effort and I tried one from a vic brewery called Holgate a few weeks ago that was worth a tipple. Pilsner seems to be a non-starter on the aussie market. You will rarely see any of the original pils by toohey's or coopers in stock at your local bottle-o these days. I guess there hoppy character can be a bit over bearing in the aussie heat. Never understood this as IPA's seem to be the big selling ale's atm and there IBU ratings are usually pretty high.

get stuck in to the double IPA, fucking good as

id say that most aussie lagers are pretty close to a Pilsner. Except instead of using noble hops such as Czech Saaz they use Pride of Ringwood, which is an Aussie bittering hop. but then most big aussie beers use hop extract and not fresh hops. piss poor really....

don't even get started on "low carb" :blink:

I know I shouldn't be mentioning Toohey's in this thread but they fucked up on a real good thing a few years back. The Tooheys Pils that was on the market about 10 years ago was by and large my favourite beer, was for years. They then tweaked it and changed a few things and it became shite. It was a reasonably popular beer, I was shattered when it changed!

Used to love going to parties in year 10, telling people I had pills in my back pack.

They'd think I was hardcore before they realised it was a beer.

Kirin green label is nice.

All the Japanese beers I like are now brewed here under license and just aren't the same.

Had an Asahi with orange flavour in it and didn't realise, was actually just trying to buy an oj, lets just say taste failed on noth counts.

My staple beer was always tooheys old or newcastle brown, but too many carbs so no more for me.

get stuck in to the double IPA, fucking good as

id say that most aussie lagers are pretty close to a Pilsner. Except instead of using noble hops such as Czech Saaz they use Pride of Ringwood, which is an Aussie bittering hop. but then most big aussie beers use hop extract and not fresh hops. piss poor really....

don't even get started on "low carb" :blink:

Yeah most aus lagers are essentially shit pilsners. I was referring more to true to style efforts from australia. You will never get the same results without real hops being involved.

Brewed a batch of amber ale based ginger beer today. Hopefully will turn out ok.

Also experimenting with some Kilju. Shit is fucking raw. OJ, Sugar and Yeast. In a few weeks time I should have 10 percent abv Orange Juice.