Melbourne Football

Melbourne City were "Disgraceful"

Parrot

DISGRACEFUL.

That’s the word Mark Bosnich used to describe Melbourne City’s stunning capitulation to Wellington Phoenix on Sunday.

After dominating the opening stages at Westpac Stadium, John van ‘t Schip’s side went to custard after Nathan Burns’s opener, conceding four goals in 16 minutes on their way to a 5-1 drubbing.

City’s defence left gaping holes all afternoon, leaving goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne visibly frustrated at his rearguard, and Bosnich says the fans deserve better after a start to the season that promised so much with Manchester City’s takeover.

“City were disgraceful as far as I’m concerned,” Bosnich said on Fox Sports’ Sunday Shootout.

“It’s not good enough. They collapsed like a house of cards after one goal. “I feel really bad for their fans. We’ve seen this last couple of seasons and it’s the same players making the same mistakes.”

Bosnich predicted changes from van ‘t Schip - whose side has conceded more goals than Perth Glory and Melbourne Victory combined - and says heads will roll if things don’t improve.

“They’re making the same mistakes. If it keeps going, there will be changes in personnel on the field and above.” A thttp://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/a-league-r8-review-disgraceful-city-wanderers-need-to-be-more-clinical-roar-new-era-underway/story-e6frf4gl-1227140190261

Edited by Parrot

Studs up:

‘Shambolic City a throwback to Heart days’

THE time has come to start asking some serious questions about Melbourne City.

Sunday’s humiliating 5-1 defeat to Wellington means it’s now one win in the first eight rounds for the A-League’s richest club.

It’s with exquisite irony that a loss to the Phoenix heaps mass pressure on coach John van’t Schip.

A 1-0 loss to Phoenix in December 2013 saw John Aloisi sacked, after a run of 17 games without a win and one clean sheet in 19.  

The club has transformed from a shoestring operation, content with missing out on finals, to being owned by Sheikh Mansour. And the City Football Group demands success.

Aloisi was moved on just a month before Peter Sidwell’s Heart consortium sold to City for $11.25m, and part-time employee van’t Schip was employed as the interim coach.

As instant reaction saw Man City’s heavies taking a shine to van’t Schip, he was soon offered a three-year deal.

Bosnich predicted changes from van ‘t Schip

What's Bozza smoking?

I don't think he has a choice, personally. If he goes in with pretty much the same lineup as yesterday and doesn't get a win, he's done. He has to shift the deckchairs and hope that it works if he wants to be in charge at Christmas.

Edited by SF33

"Bosnich predicted changes from van ‘t Schip"

Well, we saw how Archibald went.

Problem is we have a small FFA mandated squad so you're stuck with what you've got and it generally limits serious competition for places, with a few exceptions such as Victory.  

Key injuries such as to Koren and not having an Australian marquee until next year are killing us.

Problem is once a club has got it badly wrong with recruiting, like we have, even if you privately admit you've stuffed up you can't quickly fix things.

FFA won't let you pay out players' contracts so you can replace them with better players. 

It also pisses me off that some of our best A League players such as Brendan Hamill, Michael Marrone and Craig Goodwin are playing with other A League clubs.

Edited by Parrot
  • Like 1

We don't need Bozza to tell us what we all know and have said for a long time. It is disgraceful.

I think we do Bela, because no-one is taking any notice of what we've said so far, and perhaps the media can help our cause.

And also because no-one from inside the club apparently has the balls to publicly say 'This is completely unacceptable from a professional team. Right now, we are a laughing stock and we have been for far too long.'

Have a look at the website. A generic (probably league-approved) match report, without a single quote from anyone at City (what was JVS' press conference like? Did he even show up?). Social media had the usual 'Tough day at the office...unable to capitalise on the initial fifteen minutes of domination' (****ing lol) rubbish and the official website was running with Rob Koren's ****ing rehab update as its main story until about 8pm last night. Losing a game like that is disgusting. But to not hear a single person at the club drop this 'winning mentality...taking our chances...not far off' crap for a moment, own it and say 'This isn't good enough, our fans have stuck with us through thick and thin and to repay them with what we've dished up this season is an absolute disgrace' is infuriating.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 4

Even with the takeover I just feel this club brings out the worst attitude in a lot of players. Unless it is in them to be a winner, most players on our team seem to have a "well this club was never successful before so I don't really have to live up to too greater expectation..." type of mentality.

• Like 1

The club administration and playing group lacks passion...simple as that!!!!

The previous board were only interested in keeping the club from going into debt so as a result that breeds a culture where on field results do not matter. They sold the best young players to balance books so what does that tell you????

That passionless culture has now become the cancer in the club and until wholesale changes are made to the football department then nothing is going to change.

There are no ramifications to finishing last in the A-league.

Munn should have been sacked years ago and same with Didiluca but for some unknown reason they are still there.

Until those two and others around them are gone then nothing will change....

Us supporters and ticket holders are being treated as suckers now for too long....

Just look at the mess with merchandise.....that sums up the club as a whole....AMATEURS!!!!!

We don't need Bozza to tell us what we all know and have said for a long time. It is disgraceful.

We do. Because once he starts questioning others in the media will too.. that puts more pressure on the owners to fix these problems.

It was also Bozza who was one of the first in the media to openly question JAs position and that started a snowball effect.

And also because no-one from inside the club apparently has the balls to publicly say 'This is completely unacceptable from a professional team. Right now, we are a laughing stock and we have been for far too long.'

Have a look at the website. A generic (probably league-approved) match report, without a single quote from anyone at City (what was JVS' press conference like? Did he even show up?). Social media had the usual 'Tough day at the office...unable to capitalise on the initial fifteen minutes of domination' (****ing lol) rubbish and the official website was running with Rob Koren's ****ing rehab update as its main story until about 8pm last night. Losing a game like that is disgusting. But to not hear a single person at the club drop this 'winning mentality...taking our chances...not far off' crap for a moment, own it and say 'This isn't good enough, our fans have stuck with us through thick and thin and to repay them with what we've dished up this season is an absolute disgrace' is infuriating.

Out of likes, but like this x10000.

I'm not sure who the club thinks they are fooling with their upbeat explanations in the media.  I appreciate they aren't gonna come out and completely rubbish the club, but a hint of an honest appraisal from somebody wouldn't go astray.

• Like 1

Out of likes, but like this x10000.

I'm not sure who the club thinks they are fooling with their upbeat explanations in the media.  I appreciate they aren't gonna come out and completely rubbish the club, but a hint of an honest appraisal from somebody wouldn't go astray.

I support Geelong in the AFL. Nothing but tough times and heartbreaking 'almosts' until 2007. The semi-final in 2005 against Sydney, where Nick Davis kicked four goals in the closing stages of the game to pinch the win on the siren (Sydney had kicked three goals - total - up to the end of the third quarter), was just about my breaking point. Not just that it happened, but that I wasn't even remotely surprised that they managed to lose from that position. It was absolutely par for the course. It was at that point that I seriously wondered: did these players even GAF? And then I saw them walking off the ground, disconsolate. More than a few were bawling their eyes out. I can't say how that felt for other supporters, but for me, that was what got me back on board. At least they cared and they showed that it hurt them more than it hurt me.

But these players? I'm not convinced that they actually GAF. Or that it would even cross the mind of half these clowns, what they are putting their long-suffering supporters through on a weekly basis, rather than focusing their attention on feeling sorry for themselves.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 2

Problem is once a club has got it badly wrong with recruiting, like we have, even if you privately admit you've stuffed up you can't quickly fix things.

FFA won't let you pay out players' contracts so you can replace them with better players. 

It also pisses me off that some of our best A League players such as Brendan Hamill, Michael Marrone and Craig Goodwin are playing with other A League clubs.

But had they stayed with Heart would we now be saying look at the spuds that the club has? Would they be played so out of position and lacking in confidence that they would be destined for suburban football? Are you so bitter that you wish to destroy players' careers?

:droy: Aloisi acting like he's some sort of seer for telling Bozza our back four was shite a few weeks ago.

Shame he didn't have these powers when he signed/re-contracted every single player in that defensive unit

My god i was thinking the exact same thing. Really annoyed to shit out of me

Its like starting world war 3 and then later pointing out that it was going to wipe out half of the world.

• Like 1

:droy: Aloisi acting like he's some sort of seer for telling Bozza our back four was shite a few weeks ago.

Shame he didn't have these powers when he signed/re-contracted every single player in that defensive unit

Its like starting world war 3 and then later pointing out that it was going to wipe out half of the world.

He'd be loving this and I can't say I blame him for that. We're making it pretty easy for him. Would be nice for Bosnich or Zelic to pull him up on some of his statements though, since three of the current back four (four of the five, if you include Redmayne) were mainstays in the lineup that Aloisi was using last season.

Edited by SF33

He'd be loving this and I can't say I blame him for that. We're making it pretty easy for him. Would be nice for Bosnich or Zelic to pull him up on some of his statements though, since three of the current back four (four of the five, if you include Redmayne) were mainstays in the lineup that Aloisi was using last season.

That penalty in 2005 though...

i just hope we don't totally screw up the next 5 games.

as it sits, we have 3 games at home on the trot (Brisbane, Visitors, Perth) followed by two away on the NSW Central Coast (Newcastle and the Mariners).

the way i see it, 4 of those games are quite winnable - sadly its just the derby against the visitors that i can't see us winning.

if anything, we should be going into this week's game thinking that anything less than three points isn't good enough.  of course, given how shit we've been then i don't think that will be the case.  but then again, the team has to take confidence in beating Brisbane earlier this season.

and the fact we have easily out played both Newcastle and the Mariners (literally should have won all but for the last kick of the game against the Mariners) means we stand a decent chance.

as for Perth, i think that they haven't really been tested this season.  of the 8 games they have played, they have only played another top 4 side once (adelaide) and they lost that game.

the remaining 7 games have seen them largely play the lesser sides.  granted, they did win away to Wellington round 1, but for the most part they have either had easy home games (ie Wellington almost always travel like shit when going to Perth) or against teams just not with it / other focal points (ie Brisbane with their early season in fighting, WSW with the ACL final).

not staying Perth are an easy win, more so that a win / draw is quite possible.

Edited by mattyh001

Matty hypothetically I agree with you. But one thing this club has taught me is hypotheticals have never applied. It is more the reality of the situation that applies. That game we beat brisbane the team will take very little confidence because since then we have been beaten convincingly. Brisbane has a new manager which can have an immediate positive impact on the playing group. The derby, as you say just can't see us getting out of it alive. Perth is on top while were struggling. Us to get out of that with a point would be miraculous, especially with the player they have up front. We've already played both Newcastle and the mariners, what solid evidence is there that shows we can actually beat them? At least before our confidence was higher than it is now. I dare say after the loss this week and the arse raping victory give us the following week plus playing perth, the top team, we will be in a terrible state leading into those games.

The road is very bleak in front of us.

as it sits, we have 3 games at home on the trot (Brisbane, Visitors, Perth) followed by two away on the NSW Central Coast (Newcastle and the Mariners).

the way i see it, 4 of those games are quite winnable - sadly its just the derby against the visitors that i can't see us winning.

if anything, we should be going into this week's game thinking that anything less than three points isn't good enough.  of course, given how shit we've been then i don't think that will be the case.  but then again, the team has to take confidence in beating Brisbane earlier this season.

and the fact we have easily out played both Newcastle and the Mariners (literally should have won all but for the last kick of the game against the Mariners) means we stand a decent chance.

as for Perth, i think that they haven't really been tested this season.  of the 8 games they have played, they have only played another top 4 side once (adelaide) and they lost that game.

the remaining 7 games have seen them largely play the lesser sides.  granted, they did win away to Wellington round 1, but for the most part they have either had easy home games (ie Wellington almost always travel like shit when going to Perth) or against teams just not with it / other focal points (ie Brisbane with their early season in fighting, WSW with the ACL final).

This team is a week-to-week proposition, unfortunately. I'm sure there were many (myself included) that probably looked at the block following the win against Brisbane and figured that the goal should have been 5-7 points from those three games. That would have seen City probably in fifth and possibly hot on the heels of Sydney, depending on whether we went closer to seven points and what the result was when we played against them. Instead, we've got one point from those three games and although (incredibly) there's three teams below us on the table, this is rock bottom, right alongside Aloisi's losing streak. We've thrown away points at home against both the Jets and Mariners and I see no reason to believe that we'll do better when we play away against them.

As someone who's played that 'If they get a few results in the next month and build some momentum...' game for about three years now, my advice would be don't look beyond week-to-week. Central Coast at home a fortnight ago could have set up the season to at least give them the inside track on a finals spot. It was an absolutely critical game, even before the kick off. So what do these idiots do? Put the cue in the rack after 80 minutes and figure they've done enough, despite pissing away God knows how many games from that position in recent years.

Melbourne Heart/City will get results when the games no longer matter. Always have. As soon as there's something on the line, as soon as it's a truly important game, they'll fold like an ironing board. It's in the DNA of these players.

• Like 2

This team is a week-to-week proposition, unfortunately. I'm sure there were many (myself included) that probably looked at the block following the win against Brisbane and figured that the goal should have been 5-7 points from those three games. That would have seen City probably in fifth and possibly hot on the heels of Sydney, depending on whether we went closer to seven points and what the result was when we played against them. Instead, we've got one point from those three games and although (incredibly) there's three teams below us on the table, this is rock bottom, right alongside Aloisi's losing streak. We've thrown away points at home against both the Jets and Mariners and I see no reason to believe that we'll do better when we play away against them.

As someone who's played that 'If they get a few results in the next month and build some momentum...' game for about three years now, my advice would be don't look beyond week-to-week. Central Coast at home a fortnight ago could have set up the season to at least give them the inside track on a finals spot. It was an absolutely critical game, even before the kick off. So what do these idiots do? Put the cue in the rack after 80 minutes and figure they've done enough, despite pissing away God knows how many games from that position in recent years.

Melbourne Heart/City will get results when the games no longer matter. Always have. As soon as there's something on the line, as soon as it's a truly important game, they'll fold like an ironing board. It's in the DNA of this club.

Edited the last bit

• Like 1

"The team flew back from Wellington on Monday, but did not make anyone available for interview."

From "Melbourne City likely to make defensive changes for Roar game in wake of Phoenix disaster" at http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-likely-to-make-defensive-changes-for-roar-game-in-wake-of-phoenix-disaster/story-e6frf4gl-1227141273322

My comment: Why was no one available for interview? Has anyone apologised to the supporters for this disgraceful performance?  

"The team flew back from Wellington on Monday, but did not make anyone available for interview."

From "Melbourne City likely to make defensive changes for Roar game in wake of Phoenix disaster" at http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-likely-to-make-defensive-changes-for-roar-game-in-wake-of-phoenix-disaster/story-e6frf4gl-1227141273322

My comment: Why was no one available for interview? Has anyone apologised to the supporters for this disgraceful performance?

Well they managed to clear their schedule enough to make it to some promotional thing for Triple M yesterday

Of course not. They've had a tough weekend and they're busy feeling sorry for themselves.

The rest of that article is very interesting though.

Melbourne Heart/City will get results when the games no longer matter. Always have. As soon as there's something on the line, as soon as it's a truly important game, they'll fold like an ironing board. It's in the DNA of this club.

Edited the last bit

Yeah, fair enough. More than a few of the current players have won elsewhere, so there's probably something to the notion that they get a Heart stink on them when they come through the door.

Of course not. They've had a tough weekend and they're busy feeling sorry for themselves.

To be honest, and cynical, I've had a gutful of words. Other than the "brand" crap all we have had from CFG so far is fine words. I want action.

Well they managed to clear their schedule enough to make it to some promotional thing for Triple M yesterday

that was a fundrasier for the luke batty incident so it would have looked very bad if they pulled out of that at the last second

that was a fundrasier for the luke batty incident so it would have looked very bad if they pulled out of that at the last second

Fair enough. I didn't know what it was for.

To be honest, and cynical, I've had a gutful of words. Other than the "brand" crap all we have had from CFG so far is fine words. I want action.

Depends on what those words are. If a player, or JVS came out today with some home truths about how much this team is kidding itself currently, I would consider that a step in the right direction. If they came out and gave us the usual 'take our chances...stay positive...winning mentality...full 90 minutes' stuff, that would mean nothing to me either. I can even remember JA by the end pretty much being fed up and starting to question the players in his press conferences.